PDA

View Full Version : *Journal* Raising Queen's Babies

Kalei
02-22-2007, 06:37 PM
So today is I think the fifth day since Queen has had her eggs and now they are all hatched! I have been feeding them several times a day and changing the water regularly. And have lots of oxygen going in for them.:) I keep looking at them all the time to make sure they aren't dying. And so far there is still about 10 or more babies that are very alive and swimming around and eating!:D I'm so happy. So far everything is going right. Here is a pic of the little tank they are in.

As I warned before..the tank is really nothing to look at lol, there's no gravel or many plants, its basically just a plain tank with the bubbler in it and the babies and a few floating plants. But I got a couple of pics of the tank. I tried to take a pic of some babies but they are still yet too small for a camera to pick up. Soon they will be bigger:D I think they are suppose to grow to a bigger size by two weeks. Here is the little tank.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7977/babytankyn7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7516/babytank2ld3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5971/babytank3dk1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Once the babies are big enough that I can move them and not hurt any of them, I will set up the tank with some gravel and more plants and make it pertier, but right now I would crush many babies if I tried to put gravel in lol.

Oh I was also wondering. My bubbler creates quite a current in the tank that the little babies have a hard time swimming against, so they stick to the plants and wall...is the current too hard on them, should I take it away or will they be fine?

Thanks everyone for all the help! I keep finding more babies swimming around in the fifty gallon too...and everytime I see one helplessly swimming around in there I catch him with a cup and put him gently into the baby tank:D

Chilli
02-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Aww, I bet they're cute! =]
I've never raised fish from that little, so I'm not sure what to suggest about the bubbler.. maybe just make sure there is plenty of plants to decrease the strength of the current. Though I'm sure someone else can give you better advise.

Either way, Good luck! I look forward to seeing the little guys once they're a bit older.

Freedom
02-22-2007, 09:01 PM
The filters I have used had an adjustment so you could control the amount of the flow.

If you don't have that type of filter, maybe you can set it up so that it is close to a wall and the harshest of the flow goes into the wall and richoches (sp?) off to keep the rest of the tank moving and aerated. That may be easier for them to handle.

Genny
02-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Can yopu send pictures of them--I've never seen baby goldfish before! My angel fish laid eggs and they hatched about 2 months ago, but they grow soooo slow. /can you keep the GF babies in with the mom? Our mom angel fish won't eat her babies...they have grown a lot though and look like teeny tiny angel fish!

IRescue452
02-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Is it just an air stone attached to an air pump?

chocolatepuppy
02-23-2007, 05:14 AM
How exciting! I can't wait until the babies are big enough to get good pictures! How lucky they will be if they are half as pretty as Queen.:D

sweetpatata6
02-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Gold fish eat their babies so... Well, queen may not, but the other fish in the tank may.....

Kalei
02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
OH yeah Goldfish definately eat their babies, that's why I took them out and put them in a their own tank...and everytime I see one swimming around in the 55 gallon I take it out with a cup and put it gently into the baby tank with the others:D

Yeah its just a air tube attached to a stone that the bubbles come out of, I have it in the corner, but it still creates quite a current.

And yes I would definately show pics of the babies if I could, but they are almost microscopic, the camera can't pick them up they are way to small. I had a dream last night about them growing though, they were very pretty in my dream lol.

sweetpatata6
02-23-2007, 02:57 PM
:eek: One ((girl)) can be named princess!!!! :eek: lol

:rolleyes: I know I have the best names, pretty much on earth :rolleyes:

Blue_Frog
02-23-2007, 03:53 PM
ooo *waiting for baby fish pics* :D

For the bubbler, could you put it inside something to help deflect some of the current, like some kind of fishtank accessory? My bubbler is inside a log with holes on the sides so the bubbles come out from there.

Kalei
02-23-2007, 04:29 PM
ooo *waiting for baby fish pics* :D

For the bubbler, could you put it inside something to help deflect some of the current, like some kind of fishtank accessory? My bubbler is inside a log with holes on the sides so the bubbles come out from there.

Actually I didn't know why i hadn't thought of that in the first place. When I got home from work today I took a clear pipe and put the bubbler inside it, that way the bubbles come out the top of the pipe and don't create such a current throughout the whole tank.

I got some bad news...remember Little Guy?

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6697/littleguyfeb1707km5.jpg

Well today I had taken the bottom end of the filter tube off to accomodate it to my fish's needs. I had to cut some bigger wholes in it so that Queen humougous poops can get sucked up it. Anyways, I had the bottom end off for only a second, and when I looked next my little guy was swimming towards the tube that was a big wide opening and he got sucked up it :eek: :( I could hear the poor fish getting cut by the fan and quickly as I could shut off the filter. LIttle guy came back down the tube and he was still all together and wasn't cut or anything, but a wack of his scales have been shaved right off of him. And his tail has been sliced a lot. I feel so sad and so bad. I didn't know he was sooo small and weak that he would be sucked right up like that. That's one problem with having such a small fish in with such huge fish. I don't know if he'll make it or not, he's just kind of floating about and breathing and swimming slowly...I hope he heals and makes it:(

As for some good news. I came home from work today and immediately went to look at my baby fishies. What I saw was awesome! Instead of them sticking to things and hiding in plants. There were like 10 or 15 babies all swimming around happily!:D That means that they must be getting stronger and able to swim around for longer:) And they are a tiny bit bigger too. I was very happy.

Also another good news is that I saved 4 more babies from the 55 gallon and got them into the baby tank:)

But I really hope Little Guy will be alright, poor little thing..I can't imagine the pain he must be in :( Please pray for him.

Blue_Frog
02-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh No!! the poor little guy :( I'll keep my fingers crossed that he heals up quickly!

IRescue452
02-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Get a plain sponge (clean) or one made specifically as filter media and a clean rubber band. Fold the sponge in half around the air stone and rubber band it in place. This will weaken the current. This is basically what a sponge filter is, a sponge around an air stone.

Kalei
02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Get a plain sponge (clean) or one made specifically as filter media and a clean rubber band. Fold the sponge in half around the air stone and rubber band it in place. This will weaken the current. This is basically what a sponge filter is, a sponge around an air stone.

Great Idea, I will look into it, I don't get paid til next week so next week I'll look for a sponge!:D

Kalei
02-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey! Your prayers must have worked because Little Guy is feeling much better today! I woke up and he is swimming around so happily like nothing ever happened. I am scared about one thing though. Where his fin got so many slices in it I hope he doesn't get the fin rotting disease, I've had fish that if their tail gets hurt, they get the disease, and I don't want him too:( I hope he doesn't and it just keeps healing:D

Also, today the babies are amazingly good:) They are all out and swimming all over the tank and they have gotten a tiny bit bigger, still not big enough for a camera to pick up any good, but big enough that they are much stronger and swimming much longer. I can't wait til they get a little more bigger so I can take pics of the them:D

Twisterdog
02-24-2007, 10:25 AM
There is a product you can buy called Stress Coat. I got it at Walmart. It's not very expensive. It's supposed to increase the slime coating on fishes' skin, prevent stress, and help with any minor scale/slime coating loss due to being caught in a net, etc. I put it in my tank when I have to net fish or do a water change. It DOES seem to help.

I honestly don't know about using it on goldfish, since I have tropical fish. I can't imagine it would hurt though, and it might help heal your fishies tail and scales. Might be worth a try?

And don't feel guilty ... accidents happen, no matter how careful we are. We all know you love your fishies and trying very hard to do the best for them.

Kalei
02-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Thank you very much Twisterdog:) Tonight I am going to the theatre and then after the movie up to wal-mart, so I will buy some stress coat. I think I seen it there before and it like only 2 bucks or something close to that. so I'll buy some and hopefully it will help my Little Guy get healing good and fast:D

I have more good news! I saved 8 more babies out of the 50 gallon. Usually I find some here and there floating by the top of the tank or near the filter and I just scoop them up. I really have no idea how many babies are actually in my baby tank, all I know is there is way more than 20 now and when they get big enough they will have to have new homes lol. It wouild be too crowded in there.

and more good news is that I will be able to take pics of them soon enough. My camera is picking them up as a brown blurry blob, which means as long as they keep getting bigger I will be able to get pics very soon:D I know there is many of you who can't wait to see pics lol.

Genny
02-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Thats so awesome that your GF have babies! I've had gldfish for 5 years now and I've never had one have any babies!!!!!

BorderColliez
02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Cool! what do GF eggs look like?

sweetpatata6
02-25-2007, 07:24 AM
YEA!!! PICS ARE COMMING SOON!!!

Sweet!

How little guy gets better!!

Kalei
02-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Everyone!

I got two pics of goldfish eggs to try and help you guys to know what they are like:) Really they are just really small round white eggs. The white eggs mean they are not fertilized by the male, and the clearish eggs are the ones that have been fertilized. Here's two pics:

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/FA55645F-2A45-4194-9FF4E5AE9CED32BB.jpg

This one shows all those little white dots on the ground is the round white eggs.

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/5DFEB438-EC93-4D9D-BFABC5193780D9D0.jpg

This is a fertilized egg really close up. Eggs usually always stick to things.

And I know how much everyone has been wanting to see pics of the babies...so I didn't get pics of mine because my camera doesn't see them...but I got a pic of one really close up from google and thought I'd show ya!:D

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/2EEF88CB-5709-4DEB-B66EAAD5F86960FC.jpg

And this is what the little babies look like:) Except a million times smaller lol.

And today my babies are still doing great! They don't need to be switched food until next tuesday. So today I went up to Pet's Unlimited to find Brine Shrimp, since that's what I am suppose to switch them to are two weeks of being hatched. And they only had Brine Shrimp Flakes and it said for Tropical Fish...well goldfish aren't tropical. So I went to the store lady to ask if they have any normal Brine Shrimp. They said that the Brine Shrimp flake should be okay and that it can be for Goldfish even though it says for tropical fish only...then to add to that they said "Your babies shouldn't even need brine shrimp...just by goldfish flakes and break them up.

I definately didn't buy any food from them. I mean babies need these certain foods because its what makes them grow, if they don't get it and I only feed them flakes, then they won't grow bigger...the store clerks surprise me sometimes :rolleyes: lol. Oh well...Wal-mart I know for sure had the right type of Brine Shrimp. So I'll go there.

IRescue452
02-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Hikari brand baby goldfish food is a very good choice as well.

Kalei
02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks, I'll remember that brand:)

Kalei
03-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Just thought I would update you all on the babies!:) They are all still doing great. The other day I went out and bought some new rocks so that I could set up their tank properly. Sooo...I went through the loooong process of taking ever single baby out of the tank with a cup (there is like 40 or more babies) and putting them into a giant bucket which I had filled with their water. And then I cleaned out the tank and set it up nicely and put the chlorine out stuff in it and a nice little underground sponge filter so that the tank stays cleaner and they have constant bubbles giving them oxygen.

And then I put all the babies back in. They are all as happy as can be and love their newly decorated home:D I took some pictures of the tank and also got some pics of the babies. Don't get too excited, you can't really see them well, they are still sooo small, but I was able to pick up their little blurry blobbed bodies!:D So here are some pics of the new decorated baby tank and a few blurry babies.

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/F6BEBFFF-DE4E-4015-AFDC32903741EAC5.jpg

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/0B76513B-1E1C-485A-B4E3CE5C721DD575.jpg

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/AF31CD0C-7DAE-4063-96E6C1394DB56EB2.jpg

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/4B0C0A19-8C47-4412-9AB2854ADF0B5E75.jpg
This one is the best picture I have, you can see two babies by the plant:)

And here is the tank.

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/E6CD53C0-F3B2-4D21-9733498183E188AE.jpg

The tank water is always a little cloudy after feeding them that yucky liquid food.

http://hosting.showthatimage.com/4FD60C8C-9E12-40C6-95855CA2645C90B8.jpg

And that's all for now!

Argranade
03-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Aww there so tiny lol,

We had a giant fish tank before a long time ago,

I bought a pregnet fish and she had babies, they all died except for 2 lol.

Then there was one because one jumped out of the tank and when the other got a little bigger we moved it to the huge tank and one day my dad killed it by mistake from getting it clocked in the tank vacume --_--''

Well I was only like 10 and didn't know much about fish lol.

Can't wait to see what your look like when they get bigger! :D

Kalei
03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks very much Argranade!:D

chocolatepuppy
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
It's going to be so much fun watching the babies grow! :D

Flatcoatluver
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Aww they are so cute! Congrats! How big is there tanks there in?

I just bought 3 female guppys and now I find out there .... preggy.. ahhh!

Kalei
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Aww they are so cute! Congrats! How big is there tanks there in?

I just bought 3 female guppys and now I find out there .... preggy.. ahhh!
Thanks everyone! The babies are in a 10 gallon tank right now. I think it will do them fine until they get much bigger, and then I will have to find homes for them. Oooo a pregnant Guppy! I had a pregnant guppy before, they like to get pregnant alot lol. good luck to the babies!:D Are you going to try and raise the babies?

Flatcoatluver
03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks everyone! The babies are in a 10 gallon tank right now. I think it will do them fine until they get much bigger, and then I will have to find homes for them. Oooo a pregnant Guppy! I had a pregnant guppy before, they like to get pregnant alot lol. good luck to the babies!:D Are you going to try and raise the babies?
A 10 gallon for right now is a good size..
Yeah I am going to try and raise them, I have a spare 55 gallon, so hopefully it will be enough, but you never know. Guppies can have 60+ fry and I have 3 pregnant guppies. :eek:

Freedom
03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I have just seen this thread. This is very exciting, you must be so happy watching those little ones growing! I bet they are the first ting youcheck out each morning, too! Sounds like you are getting lots of good information about how to care for them. Andd you have good instincts, too, like when the pet store lady told yu gold fish lakes are OK and you just nodded and said uh and went to another store. Good for you! The photos are terrific, seems like you are doing a great job!

Kalei
03-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I have just seen this thread. This is very exciting, you must be so happy watching those little ones growing! I bet they are the first ting youcheck out each morning, too! Sounds like you are getting lots of good information about how to care for them. Andd you have good instincts, too, like when the pet store lady told yu gold fish lakes are OK and you just nodded and said uh and went to another store. Good for you! The photos are terrific, seems like you are doing a great job!

Thanks so much Freedom, you flatter me lol. Yes I definately do like seeing them grow and I do look at them when I wake up and make sure they are all okay, and then I feed them lots:D I can't wait til they are bigger and I can take better pictures of them.