PDA

View Full Version : AKC survey for allowing mixed breeds compete

.sarah
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Please take a moment (or several ;)) to complete this survey on whether or not you think the AKC should let spayed and neutered mixed breed dogs to compete in agility, rally, obedience, and tracking. I personally think it would be wonderful for mixed breed owners to compete. There are many people with mixed breeds that would love to compete but don't want to/can't purchase a purebred and I think it would be a great thing to allow them to. Personally I would probably compete with Mandy in tracking and possibly rally if I had the chance.

AKC Mixed Breed Survey (http://www.akc.org/mixedbreed_survey/)

applesmom
02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
It sounds like a great idea to me as long as all mixed breeds are required to be spayed and neutered! I filled out the survey and sent it in. :)

Ginger's Mom
02-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Ooh, yes yes yes. Ginger really enjoyed agility, but then when I started looking for places where she could compete there rules were different, and I am so easily confused, lol. Anyway, I don't know for sure if we would go back to agility again, but it sure would give me more of a push in that direction. I really think she would like it.
ETA: One more thought, they were thinking about partnering with pet stores that sold pure bred dogs last year as a way to increase their revenue. Obviously that didn't go over well. But, I think as an alternative if they are looking for ways to increase their revenue this is a better way to do it.

Suki Wingy
02-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Yes! That would be great! The only reason why I haven't yet entered any competitions with Niņo is there are so few around me he is elegible for as an unkown mix.

Flatcoatluver
02-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Yes of corse, in the future I would love to adopt but I love to show in AKC, so maybe it will be possible.

Karen
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I filled it out! It's funny because it has lots of questions about "your club" - Miss Hoppy doesn't belong to any AKC Clubs! ;) But we answered all the ones we could.

3muttsandaboston
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I filled it out. I also think mutts should be able to compete.

wolflady
02-22-2007, 05:51 PM
I filled it out too! I think mixed breed dogs should have the same chance as purebred dogs. Even with cats, there is a category just for household pets, so why can't dogs follow this same example? :)

Riptide
02-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Ohh yes yes YES! I'm glad the AKC is considering this! :D -fills out survey-

k9krazee
02-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Um...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Thanks for posting this, Sarah!

Sophist
02-22-2007, 07:13 PM
It would be a great advertisement for shelter dogs/former strays.

All the purebred fans who still think dogs are in the pound because there is something 'wrong' with them could see what some of these throw-away dogs can do if given the opportunity.

Also, someone who wanted to compete could adopt a shelter pet instead of supporting one of the puppymills or BYB that can slip through the cracks at AKC. Instead of having to choose between not being involved because they can't afford a responsible breeders dog, or buying from a bad breeder, they can adopt a shelter dog to get involved with.

Not saying it would shut down all BYB and empty the shelters, but it seems to me like it could make a difference for some dogs. And if it saves ONE pound puppy a year, I think it would still be worth it.

.sarah
02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
No problem, guys. I think this will work towards everyone's benefit, really. The shelter dogs especially.