PDA

View Full Version : Hm..toe tail probs? Any advice..?

slleipnir
06-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Jo split her toe nail..I can see all this red gooy stuff in the middle..I think she split it right down the middle. I was going to clip it off, but it seems to be held on by flesh on both sides or something. Its sensitive, if I touch it, she'll pull it back (her paw) and softly lick it. Do I leave it? Or clip it?

sisterdog
06-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Don't clip it! It may bleed a lot. I would bandage her foot to keep dirt out and take her to the vet. The vet will have what it takes to cauterize the blood vessel in the nail (the red gooey stuff you're seeing). Best of luck.

slleipnir
06-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Hmm thanks. She doesn't like the vets, she goes kinda crazy. She needs a muzzle and stuff. She'll growl and bark, I doubt she'll let the vet touch her foot. I don't think getting her put under for that is necessary right?

sisterdog
06-28-2002, 09:52 PM
Putting her under shouldn't be necessary. What my old vet used to do is to cut the nail really short and use a toenail buzzer - kinda like a Dremel tool - to smooth off and cauterize the blood vessel. I stopped having him do this for our dogs because it really upset them. And since we've moved, he isn't our vet anymore.

From what you say, probably muzzling Jo and having someone strong to hold her might be necessary to get this done. The vet may use a toenail buzzer or maybe just put styptic on the crack in the nail. Either way, I think it's important to make sure that it's not going to open up and bleed. You may want to call your vet and get his opinion - maybe you could put styptic on it yourself.

Hope this helps.