PDA

View Full Version : question re: Food my Shih Tzu is eating

Scooter's Mom
02-22-2007, 06:44 AM
When I got my Shih Tzu, the previous owners were feeding her beneful. I switched her over to Iams, because I had heard it was a better food. Currently I have her eating Merrick's products (Grammy's pot pie right now). If I put down Iams, which I still have half a bag of, she won't go near it... at all! But as soon as the Merrick hits the floor (in a bowl, mind you) she is all over it.

Is Merrick a better food, or does she just like it better because it's something new and different than what she's used to?

Thanks,
Crystal

elizabethann
02-22-2007, 07:58 AM
I feed Fenway Merricks too. His favorite is Grammy's Pot Pie as well.

What I do is feed Fenway a mixture of kibble:

Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie 50%
Innova 20
Fromms 20%
Nutro 10%

If you didn't want to get rid of your Iams, you could mix it in with the Merrick until it's all gone and then just give your dog just Merrick after that.

Does your dog eat Merrick canned food too? Fenway likes the Grammy's Pot Pie for that one. He won't eat the Turducken. He'll eat the Wingalings and the Bruts N Tots. He got the runs when I gave him the Catfish meal. Won't be doing that again!

Good luck.

borzoimom
02-22-2007, 08:40 AM
I feed Fenway Merricks too. His favorite is Grammy's Pot Pie as well.

What I do is feed Fenway a mixture of kibble:

Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie 50%
Innova 20
Fromms 20%
Nutro 10%

If you didn't want to get rid of your Iams, you could mix it in with the Merrick until it's all gone and then just give your dog just Merrick after that.

Does your dog eat Merrick canned food too? Fenway likes the Grammy's Pot Pie for that one. He won't eat the Turducken. He'll eat the Wingalings and the Bruts N Tots. He got the runs when I gave him the Catfish meal. Won't be doing that again!

Good luck.
That is a GREAT combination!

Scooter's Mom
02-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I did buy some of the canned food too. So far I have fed 3 different ones - and out of those, Smothered Comfort (I think that was the name) is the one Jadie liked the best.

I'll try mixing in the Iams with the Merrick until the Iams is gone.