PDA

View Full Version : Walmart announcement

IRescue452
02-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Walmart has announced that several stores will end the sale of live fish. They failed to comment much on the matter, but it is estimated that 700 stores at least will end sales. I believe, and I have heard this from several sources, that after receiving many complaints, stores were inspected and told to shape up, and those who failed a surprise reinspection were told to pack up.

The horrible part is that some stores, as described by witnesses, were so bad that to unload the fish stock quickly they just brought in garbage cans and started scooping out the tanks, fish, gravel and all.

The good part, for me at least, is that my local walmarts will still continue with their quality fish supply and good practices. I'd die without an apet supplier in the area.

Kudos to Walmart for making a good decision :D , but evil thoughts for those individuals who thought killing off the fish would be better than a clearence sale :mad: .

Sophist
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Your Wal-mart sounds pretty unusual to me. I have never seen a Wal-Mart tank without lots of dead or dying fish, mixes of fish species that simply should not happen, major over-crowding, and generally dirty tanks and unhealthy conditions.

I especially will not support Wal-Mart's fish trade because they are actively involved in selling and keeping up a demand for tattooed and 'painted' fish. :mad:

wombat2u2004
02-22-2007, 07:53 AM
This sounds fishy to me !!!!
Wombat

Jods
02-22-2007, 06:46 PM
my walmart used to be really bad actually, but the last few times I;ve gone I've notice a 100% improvement. Maybe this is true.

Twisterdog
02-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Your Wal-mart sounds pretty unusual to me. I have never seen a Wal-Mart tank without lots of dead or dying fish, mixes of fish species that simply should not happen, major over-crowding, and generally dirty tanks and unhealthy conditions.

I especially will not support Wal-Mart's fish trade because they are actively involved in selling and keeping up a demand for tattooed and 'painted' fish. :mad:

My thoughts on our local Walmart exactly.

Blue_Frog
02-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Poor fish :( At least try to get them good homes without putting them out with the trash .

I guess its like a lot of chain type stores though -- the good ones treat the fish well, and are good to go into with knowledgable staff, but the bad ones are a disaster.

I know that Kalei recently got some frogs from walmart for her tank, and they were really sick and all died a couple of days later --
see:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showpost.php?p=1738987&postcount=7
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showpost.php?p=1750477&postcount=24