PDA

View Full Version : Calm Down Time.

Flatcoatluver
02-21-2007, 09:28 PM
What is going on with people? It seems like every thread I am viewing this month is either heated or just people not caring much about what there typing. I even try to avoid some of the heated threads and find myself into another. Can we have another virtual deep breath. I know I am not the only one to feel this way, I would really love to stay on pt, but it seems kind of impossible at this point. BREATH. Ok I am done. ;)

Probably taking up space for this thread but ok I feel better.

Marigold2
02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Oh I agree, lets start a happy thought.

How about what I am looking forward to. I will start.

I am looking forward to spring and planting my garden.

Sophist
02-21-2007, 11:01 PM
I have developed a tendency of not opening a thread once it has reached three pages usually, because the odds are that it is going to be a melee.

I think allowing a certain amount of debate is a good thing, but... yeah.

What are you planting, Marigold? I want to order some fancy brown iris bulbs online and plant them, but I am not totally sure yet. Don't have as much time to garden as I usually do, but I want to at least do a few edible items this year. We'll see.

Karen
02-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I'll move this to General, where more folks will see it. I think it's the February blahs - but thinking of spring and planting is appealing, even if it's a long way away for those of us in the Northland! ;)

DIANESDOGS
02-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I have to claim responsibilty for losing my temper and typing before thinking. I guess I just got mad at what has transpired here at PT recently with old members leaving and new members being so brash. So yes, I need a time out.

It is Springtime, or soon to be and time for me to spend less time browsing PT and more time on the rock garden plans. Thanks for the fresh thoughts.

Flatcoatluver
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
:) Thanks Karen.

It must be that everyone is getting tired of those winter blues, it seems like some months are worse then others with arguments. Every community has problems, but sometimes it's nice to have news flash!

Catty1
02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Lots of snow here....but I want to plant Sweet Peas on my condo balcony again this year - except in the SUN, not the shade! :rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
That's why I mostly lurk now. So sick of the drama. And, I'm looking forward to Dasher's first trip to Petco! This weekend ends his six week calm period after being treated for heartworms. I'm looking forward to him leading more of a normal dog's life now. He's really become a lot happier.

DIANESDOGS
02-21-2007, 11:19 PM
That's why I mostly lurk now. So sick of the drama. And, I'm looking forward to Dasher's first trip to Petco! This weekend ends his six week calm period after being treated for heartworms. I'm looking forward to him leading more of a normal dog's life now. He's really become a lot happier.

Oh my, heartworm?

I am glad he is on the road to recovery. After heartworm treatments, don't you have to stay on a maintenance dose for life?

slick
02-21-2007, 11:20 PM
That's why I spend more time on Africam than I do on Pet Talk.

Flatcoatluver
02-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Sounds like fun! Make sure to take pictures, I am going to have a good weekend too, I get to meet Binka_nugget and Zoey has another agility trial! Hopefully it won't be to cold in the barn.

I am hoping to start a fruit and veggie garden this spring. Zoey ends up eating all of them before I am able to pick them though!

DIANESDOGS
02-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Back to the thread.

I am wanting to plant some annuals in my garden, but it is in the full sun and most of the bright, colorful ones I have tried recently didn't do well.

Any suggestions?

dukedogsmom
02-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Sounds like fun! Make sure to take pictures, I am going to have a good weekend too, I get to meet Binka_nugget and Zoey has another agility trial! Hopefully it won't be to cold in the barn.

I am hoping to start a fruit and veggie garden this spring. Zoey ends up eating all of them before I am able to pick them though!
I will. I got some cute ones today of him with his finished water bowl I painted. And it sounds like you're going to have fun.

Oh my, heartworm?

I am glad he is on the road to recovery. After heartworm treatments, don't you have to stay on a maintenance dose for life?
He's on the normal monthly heartworm medication now. I find out in July if they're completely gone. I honestly think they are because he's so much more playful and energetic.

caseysmom
02-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I will. I got some cute ones today of him with his finished water bowl I painted. And it sounds like you're going to have fun.

He's on the normal monthly heartworm medication now. I find out in July if they're completely gone. I honestly think they are because he's so much more playful and energetic.

I have been thinking of you and Dasher and hoped he was doing well, so glad he is feeling good.

Catlady711
02-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Oh my, heartworm?

If the heartworm is treated properly and tests negative in the end, then there is no 'maintainance dose' needed other than the normal heartworm preventatives all dogs need (ie heartgard, tri heart, interceptor etc).

dukedogsmom
02-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Back to the thread.

I am wanting to plant some annuals in my garden, but it is in the full sun and most of the bright, colorful ones I have tried recently didn't do well.

Any suggestions?
I'm a plant killer and not a gardner. So, I can't help you. I do love Daffodils, though. I don't think they grow in Florida.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-22-2007, 04:07 AM
I agree that some time things do get overheated and unpleasant but I'd rather be here than anywhere else. I've made some really great friends, laughed and cried at your stories and learnt a lot along the way.

No point planting anything in my garden - Tobey and Archie love to dig :D

borzoimom
02-22-2007, 06:52 AM
I'll move this to General, where more folks will see it. I think it's the February blahs - but thinking of spring and planting is appealing, even if it's a long way away for those of us in the Northland! ;)
You could very well be right. February is a tough month. From lack of sunlight- and lets face it- most of us have been socked in cold weather, snow and ice where any outdoor activity is a major event.
I have noticed however ( thanks to Dr.Goodnow) we are handling stress better as we go.
Soon enough- spring will come- and sunlight increases, and outdoor events or activities become easier to do..

Pam
02-22-2007, 06:54 AM
most of us have been socked in cold weather, snow and ice

And are sitting here right now looking out at a soggy yard (temp was 50 yesterday!) onto lots and lots of unscooped poopies that have been buried under the ice and snow. :D :o :D :o

cyber-sibes
02-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Yeah, it seems like a couple people turn everything they post on into a debate....which leads to arguments, then nastiness. I'm using my "ignore" list for the first time, kind of sad, really.

Spring! What a lovely thought! Yes, PT needs a spring right now. :D
Not planning much in the garden except a spring cleaning - we're moving in a few months.

borzoimom
02-22-2007, 07:01 AM
We are warming up today- had warmer yesterday too. It took two ful days to get that ice to melt enough the dogs can walk. They acted like they had total cabin fever. Instead of running out in the morning to do their business and back in- it took about 35 minutes to have them come in the house for the morning cookie .. ( normally according to Femka- the 1st most important event of the day..)
Work is staring me in the face too. I have to pull of ivy around the rock garden, the flower beds need major help..
Can we open a flower planting thread? I sure could use some help... I have alot of flowers I have no clue what they are to get more. ..

Karen
02-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Val, to grow daffodils in Florida, it's not impossible but ... you need to dig the bulbs up in the fall (or buy 'em in the fall) and put them in your freezer for a couple months. Then plant them in the ground and they will spout thing "winter's over, now it's "Spring!" That's what my aunt who grew up in Massachusetts learned she had to do!

ramanth
02-22-2007, 08:37 AM
*sits in a yoga position*

Ohhhhmmmmmmmm..... :D

I used to have a green thumb, but lately (and especially with the help of some plant eating cats :o :mad: ), I haven't been able to keep a single house plant alive.

Well, we won two poinsettias at Christmas and miracuously the cats didn't bother them.

They were dropping their leaves and looking rather dead. I was about to throw them out when I noticed the big one was budding new leaves! Do they sprout the red leaves year round or just the green ones?

So now I'm nursing this sad little plant back to health. The smaller one still has one lovely full bloom. :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Val, to grow daffodils in Florida, it's not impossible but ... you need to dig the bulbs up in the fall (or buy 'em in the fall) and put them in your freezer for a couple months. Then plant them in the ground and they will spout thing "winter's over, now it's "Spring!" That's what my aunt who grew up in Massachusetts learned she had to do!

Thanks Karen. No wonder I never have had any luck with them. I'll try that. I can grow Narcissus(paperwhites) with no problem but very rarely have I seen one of my Daffodils bloom. I thought, they're both in the same family, no problem. Who knew there was another step? :confused:

I can only imagine how dreary it is in other parts of the country. The thoughts of winter blues may be weighing heavily on some people. I am fortunate to have sunny days here almost endlessly. May I suggest a Florida vacation to anyone that feels combative. It should take care of alot of what is ailing people. Just a thought :)

areias
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
You could very well be right. February is a tough month. From lack of sunlight- and lets face it- most of us have been socked in cold weather, snow and ice where any outdoor activity is a major event.
I have noticed however ( thanks to Dr.Goodnow) we are handling stress better as we go.
Soon enough- spring will come- and sunlight increases, and outdoor events or activities become easier to do..

Sigh...I have no excuse...it's a pleasant 70F right now, and only getting warmer... :D

Logan
02-22-2007, 10:26 AM

Val, that is terrific news!!!!! :) I have not followed up on Dasher the way I should have. I am guilty of being self absorbed, lately, but I'm delighted to hear that he is finished with his treatment!!!!! :D

NicoleLJ
02-22-2007, 11:55 AM
And are sitting here right now looking out at a soggy yard (temp was 50 yesterday!) onto lots and lots of unscooped poopies that have been buried under the ice and snow. :D :o :D :o

Yup we have a soggy yard but no unscooped poopies in it. Never was. My dogs are trained not to potty anywhere but in their Potty Pen. Sure makes clean up easier, never have to do an after winter search, and the kids can play outside all year round with no problems of stepping in anything. So that is one of the few things I don't have to worry about. lol
Nicole

Miss Z
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I've probably contributed to a little of the heated atmosphere lately. I make a point of never starting fights, as I have the morals that PT is still a place of real people and that no-one has a right to throw insults freely in a public place! However, I am one to remark bluntly on posts I think are downright rude or disgusting. Thankfully I missed a lot of the drama recently so am glad to say I've stayed out of most of it! :)

Ginger's Mom
02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
I can only imagine how dreary it is in other parts of the country. The thoughts of winter blues may be weighing heavily on some people. I am fortunate to have sunny days here almost endlessly. May I suggest a Florida vacation to anyone that feels combative. It should take care of alot of what is ailing people. Just a thought :)
You know it's funny, but I do think it makes a difference. I don't take a summer vacation, I take my vacation in the winter and travel down to Florida (of course it helps that I have family down there). It gets me away from the cold dark winters up here, and by the time I come back up I can see that it is already staying light later. Yes, if you can have the luxury of a winter vacation, I suggest you head south for a couple of weeks.

Val, I too am glad to hear that Dasher is doing so well. I will keep up the good thoughts for him, and yes, please take pictures of his first trip to Petco.

GreyhoundGirl
02-22-2007, 03:41 PM
I am fortunate to have sunny days here almost endlessly.

Haha... and you HAVE to mention it endlessly. :p :p :p

haha... what's dangerous here is when you get fresh poop while it's snowing... in as little as 10 minutes it can be competely covered... uneasy to spot... easy to... uh... not see... and... uh... :p

dukedogsmom
02-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks Karen. I can't say I'll try that as I'm really not too dedicated when it comes to plants. But, it is nice to know they'll grow here. Anyone want to come plant them?

I have been thinking of you and Dasher and hoped he was doing well, so glad he is feeling good.

Val, that is terrific news!!!!! :) I have not followed up on Dasher the way I should have. I am guilty of being self absorbed, lately, but I'm delighted to hear that he is finished with his treatment!!!!! :D
Thanks! I went to the SPCA today to give them a picture for their photo board. More good news. I was going to visit who I suspect was his brother. They were turned in together. I felt so bad about not being able to take them both. I was going to get photos of him. He got adopted too! I gave my name and number. I'm waiting to hear from the manager. I want them to contact who adopted his brother and have them call me. I wpould love for them to be able to see each other again. They say it's against their policy. Lets hope they can bend it. Fingers and paws crossed.

NicoleLJ
02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
haha... what's dangerous here is when you get fresh poop while it's snowing... in as little as 10 minutes it can be competely covered... uneasy to spot... easy to... uh... not see... and... uh... :p

Have you ever thought of training your dogs to use a potty pen? This would eliminate this hazard. If you don't know what I am talking about here is a link to an article I wrote about how to train a dog to use it only and never the yard:

http://giftofgracekennels.com/id27.html

I have been fortunate to have this article published in multiple dog magazines. I have also writen other training articles that have been published multiple times in dog magazines as well. To check them out just go to the menu on the left and click on Training Pages.
Nicole

cyber-sibes
02-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Great article, Nichole. Sheena's such a beauty, and what a cute little puppy she was. I don't have a pen built, but my two each selected their own "designated area" in our current kennel. We're going to be moving, and I might try this at the new place, as the yard will be much smaller & it would be nice to keep it clean. Star won't even walk around in areas that are used for "potty", not a problem now but could be with a small yard.

Daisy and Delilah
02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Haha... and you HAVE to mention it endlessly.

:D :D :D I do mention it alot don't I? If there's one thing we have here in Florida, it's plenty of sun. There I go again......... :cool: