PDA

View Full Version : beer question

joycenalex
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
i rarely drink beer. the last time i can recall was last fall with a pizza, killian red. the time before that was last summer after cutting the grass, and in celebration i had a foster lager. at the local yuppie grocery a dispaly of single bottle beers caught my eye, and to go with the bruschetta i bought a samuel adams winter ale. it was enjoyable. my question is this, whats the difference between lager, winter ale and beer? i'll plan ahead for spring grass cutting based on the answers i get. thanks joyce

critter crazy
02-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Sorry cant help ya! I hate beer, just not tasty to me.

angelbow20
02-21-2007, 08:51 PM
I think the difference is the different wheats and grains they use to make them, im not much of a ale person usually or even beer but I do drink it sometimes, I prefer a blue moon witha slice of orange when it comes to beer myself.

buttercup132
02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
They make beer with wheats and grains!??!:confused: :eek:

critter crazy
02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
This explains the ral difference, but not sure if it realy helps!:D

Beers fall into two broad categories: Those that are produced by top-fermenting yeasts (ales) and those that are made with bottom-fermenting yeasts (lagers). There are hybrids, but that's another discussion.

Ales came first, when brewers weren't exactly sure what role yeast played. Because ales were unstable, brewing ceased in warm weather and brewers would store reserves in as cool or cold an environment as they could find. Brewers storing their beer in very cold Alpine caves found that their beer was more stable because the yeast had sunk to the bottom.

We won't go into the evolution of this yeast, but this storage (lagerung in German) naturally selected bottom-fermenting yeasts. Operating at colder temperatures these yeasts worked slower, producing beer more attenuated, cleaner, rounder and less fruity than ales. Fermentation took one to three months.

Ales include everything with ale in the name (pale ale, amber ale, etc.), porters, stouts, Belgian specialty beers, wheat beers and many German specialty beers. They generally have a more robust taste, are more complex and are best consumed cool (50F or a bit warmer) rather than cold.

Lagers include pilseners, bocks and dopplebocks, Maerzens/Oktoberfests, Dortmunders and a few other styles found mostly in Germany. They are best consumed at a cooler temperature than lagers, although anything served at less than 38F will lose most of its flavor.

American variations on the pilsener style dominate the U.S. beer landscape, but unlike 20 years ago there are plenty of other choices today. Writing in the first edition of his "The Pocket Guide to Beer" in 1982 (the current edition is No. 8), Michael Jackson (http://www.beerhunter.com/) described ales and lagers as the "red wines" and "white wines" of the beer world. He concluded: "The popularity of the original pilsener was well deserved, but its renown is ill served by the many brewers in different parts of the world who have used indifferent imitations to try to create a single international beer style at the expense of more characterful regional specialties. It is as though the whole world were to drink Rhine wines and forget about the very existence of Burgundy or Bordeaux. The 'whites' of the beer world are more stable and consistent, but the top-fermenting yeasts endow the 'reds' with great personality."

http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbreak/archives/beerbreak20001130.php

angelbow20
02-21-2007, 08:56 PM
They make beer with wheats and grains!??!:confused: :eek:

Yeah im pretty sure, and beer also has alot of calories in it :rolleyes:

Ceph
02-21-2007, 09:33 PM
beer is bleh (except for some home made stuff - brewed in the bathtub)....Hard Cider's are the way to go :p (Woodchuck Amber)

yes they are made from wheats and grains I believe....my cousin makes his from a choclate barley

cmayer31
02-21-2007, 09:53 PM
There's a lot that makes a beer. Mostly it is classified on how it is fermented and what is used in the blend. Mostly they use barely, but rice, wheat, and corn are also used. There's some other stuff used mattering on location as well. A lot of flavor comes from how it is fermented with hops, water, and yeast. Here's a link that describes it well Wiwpedia - Beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer) .

Personally I love Black & Tans. It's a mix of bass light ale and Guinness dark ale. Can also be used with other light/dark ales. But I also enjoy my Cerveza's with lime, or a nice lager. Oh heck, I love most beer. :D

king2005
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I have tried several different beers & end up choaking the sip down & trying not to puke, its horrid IMO. I'm into short, pure (Vodka) & mixed (Liquid Coke).. No juices as I'm allergic to most.

Glacier
02-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I am a beer snob and an Ale girl for the most part! Can't drink the mass produced junk like Bud and Molson's. Well, I can, but given a choice I won't. I like honey brown ales, Sleeman's in particular. We have a great little brewery up here. Their slogan is "beer worth freezing for" and it's true! My favorite is Cranberry Wheat Ale, made with wild Yukon cranberries! Delicious! I just bought a box of their newest flavor.."Discovery Ale", made with Fireweed flavored honey!

Stuart makes his own beer. There are many, many methods and recipes. He uses lots of hops, barley, wheat, berries and even chocolate in one of his recipes

Cinder & Smoke
02-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Stuart makes his own beer.
There are many, many methods and recipes ...

OMG! :p

And all these years I thunk "The Shop" was a place he fixed stuff ...

Nebber Knew it was his Lil Brewery in the Snow!
No Wonder he an Dad hang out in The Shop ...

SUMbuddie has to *TASTE TEST* the product!

:D

Glacier
02-22-2007, 04:33 PM
OMG! :p

And all these years I thunk "The Shop" was a place he fixed stuff ...

Nebber Knew it was his Lil Brewery in the Snow!
No Wonder he an Dad hang out in The Shop ...

SUMbuddie has to *TASTE TEST* the product!

The brewery only takes up one corner of the shop. He does lots of other stuff out there too! If the zoning bylaw had allowed a second storey, I don't think he'd come to the house very often though!

Muskwa is the taster! :rolleyes: He always licks the keg spout!

cyber-sibes
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Muskwa is the taster! :rolleyes: He always licks the keg spout!LOL! Is there a"designated sled dog" back-up for the drunken husky?

Twisterdog
02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Bleck. Don't like beer at all. Give me a White Russian, tastes like chocolate milk. ;)

dukedogsmom
02-22-2007, 05:47 PM
I am a beer snob and an Ale girl for the most part! Can't drink the mass produced junk like Bud and Molson's. Well, I can, but given a choice I won't. I like honey brown ales, Sleeman's in particular. We have a great little brewery up here. Their slogan is "beer worth freezing for" and it's true! My favorite is Cranberry Wheat Ale, made with wild Yukon cranberries! Delicious! I just bought a box of their newest flavor.."Discovery Ale", made with Fireweed flavored honey!

Stuart makes his own beer. There are many, many methods and recipes. He uses lots of hops, barley, wheat, berries and even chocolate in one of his recipes
Is it allowed to ship some of that good stuff to the US?

Glacier
02-22-2007, 05:51 PM
LOL! Is there a"designated sled dog" back-up for the drunken husky?

LOL, Muskwa is retired so he doesn't need to worry about a back up, unless he wants someone else to keep his spot on the couch warm! I think the taste for beer is genetic. My Dad gave Hoodoo, Muskwa's son, a taste of beer once. For the rest of his life, Hoodoo would steal any beer can he could, every chance he got.

joycenalex
02-22-2007, 06:00 PM
when the wonder dog was a puppy, we had an outdoor party. yep, you know what happened, he finished someones' beer. 7 years later i came back outside to find him finishing my post grass cut beer, but this time he was on phenobarb, in somewhat of a panic, i called my vet, not knowing how beer and an antiseizure med would mix. the vet laughed and said he'd likely have a headache but he'd be okay. last night, he did, very politely offer to finish my beer. he's developed a taste for good beer i guess ;)

Glacier
02-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Is it allowed to ship some of that good stuff to the US?

I have no idea what the rules are around that! I'll have to look into that! Would have to be shipped in the summer or it would freeze solid though! Their website is www.yukonbeer.com if you want to check it out.

dukedogsmom
02-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I have no idea what the rules are around that! I'll have to look into that! Would have to be shipped in the summer or it would freeze solid though! Their website is www.yukonbeer.com if you want to check it out.
Thanks. I emailed them.

Freedom
02-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Personally I love . . . Guinness dark ale. :D

Guinness draft (in the large cans) is the only type I like.

Cinder & Smoke
02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Yukon Beer ...
Their website is www.yukonbeer.com (http://www.yukonbeer.com/) if you want to check it out.

OMG!!
What a HOOT!

You've GOT to visit that web site!
At least go to >>> http://yukonbeer.com/home.php/pages/ads/

That page has their Advertisements on it - all able to be viewed and heard.
The Ads are priceless! ... and some are almost X-rated!

Is ALL the brewery in Your Shop?
That's a bit more than "a corner" it takes up!

Do The Boys "brew" 24/7?

How many folks does it take to Brew & Manage & Sell?

The stuff we never knew ... :D

lizbud
02-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't know much about making beer, but I do enjoy drinking it. I like
the taste of lighter beers. :)

Glacier
02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
OMG!!
:DIs ALL the brewery in Your Shop?
That's a bit more than "a corner" it takes up!
[/i][/b]

Oh, that's not our brewery. That's a commercial outfit. Ours takes up a small corner of the shop and maxs out at ten gallons at a time. Yukon Breweries takes up a large building--right across the street from my vet's clinic...which has proven handy a time or two!

Ceph
02-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks. I emailed them.

could you let the rest of us know when you find out :) I would love to find a beer I could drink, and the discovery and cranberry both look amazing :p

Cinder & Smoke
02-22-2007, 11:23 PM
... We have a great little brewery up here.
Their slogan is "beer worth freezing for" and it's true! ...
... I just bought a box of their newest flavor ... "Discovery Ale" ...

Stuart makes his own beer.
There are many, many methods and recipes ...

So I be thinkin ... "the great lil brewery" is where Stuart cooks his beer!

Followed later by >>>

Their website is www.yukonbeer.com (http://www.yukonbeer.com/) if you want to check it out.

Oh well ...
Read between the lines and jump to dumm conclusions! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif
I thunk the "THEIR" was a reference to Stuart & Dad & Company ...
didn't realize we'd changed references and gone Pro ...

Oh, that's not our brewery.
That's a commercial outfit.

Ours takes up a small corner of the shop and maxs out at ten gallons at a time.
Yukon Breweries takes up a large building -- right across the street from my vet's clinic ...
which has proven handy a time or two!

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif
Whatever ... <removes foot from mouth ...>
that Yukon Beer site is well worth a visit ... their Ads are close to Super Bowl Quality!
You have to play some of 'em twice to get ALL the hidden gems ...

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Barbara
02-23-2007, 04:25 AM
This is a yummy thread ;)

Living in a beer area of course I appreciate it. But I like to sample whatever I find abroad- US and Canada have lovely microbreweries, I like British ales and even in Germany there are differences: The North and West love the dry Pilsner like lagers, the Bavarians have it rather golden and mellow and some very strong sweet beers like our local Weihenstephan Korbinian. Yummy!

Lilith Cherry
02-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Some of the Chinese beers we have tasted here are also very good - not just the famous ones like Qingdao but other local breweries in small towns. Another nice thing is how cheap it is; around 35 cents American for a small can! :D

ramanth
02-23-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm not a beer connoisseur by any stretch of the means and rarely drink, but there are a few breweries in the area. One has this delicious Raspberry and Caramel ale. *drools*

Randi
02-23-2007, 09:12 AM
I like beer, but not all of them. I find most Ale's too flat. My favourites are a Danish Hancock, a lager type. The Belgian Westmalle is delicious - and one called Waggle Dance is quite good, that's a honey beer. Not sure I can remember the German one I like, but it's something like Prince Luitpold, there's a dark and a light.

On a warm summer evening, there's nothing better than a cold beer! :D

DrKym
02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I dont drink beer, however I was watching the History channel this am. (so you guys can look up the segment under modern marvel brewing) and found out 2 neat facts:

The oldest still running brewery is in Bavaria, it has been in operation since 1042 :)

And in 1814 in London a wooden vat exploded, causing a 25' high stream of beer to flood the streets....8 ppl drowned in beer, and dozens of other ran to collect the free beer!!!

That is all I know of beer as I dont drink much of it, had a Witches Ale once which a honey Ale and it wasn't to awful, but I will stick with my whiskey or Vodka LOL

Just a cpl of thoughts,
Kym

pitc9
02-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Muskwa is the taster! :rolleyes: He always licks the keg spout!

LOL! Must be a northern breed thing... my sister's Husky Yukon has her very own beer bowl in the living room. If anyone opens a beer in the house she will try everything she can to make you dump or drop your beer so she can get some. So my sister has a bowl in the living room just for beer because if you pour just a little in the bowl for her she leaves everyone's beer alone!!

Joyce, I'm no help because I'm a "Piss Water" beer drinker. Miller Lite tops my list! I just can't get into think lagers and ale, I've tried... but always go back to Miller Lite!

sparks19
02-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Winter lager is not exactly in categories like Ale and Lager. it is a special brew Sam Adams made called winter lager. they added spices to it like cinnamon and other "wintery" seasonings.

Cincy'sMom
02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks. I emailed them.

Let me know what they say. I love Sam Adams Cranberry, but can only find it at Christmastime in the multi packs. I'd love to try the Yukon Cranberry!

joycenalex
02-25-2007, 06:12 AM
it's not likely i'm going to have another beer anytime soon, but this has been an interesting experience learning about this. i really associate beer with post yard work glow of pride and food,cranberry lager sounds worth trying.