PDA

View Full Version : I'm so confused...I just need to talk to somebody.

Kalei
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Hello PT,

I just needed to get some help and a really confusing problem off my back. Well as I had said not too long ago, I have been accepted into University and will be taking a course to become a teacher. To do that I have to take out a student loan, and because of how high the costs are to live at Universities and Tuition these days...I will end up oweing about 100,000.000 dollars and that can take up to 12 years to pay off. At first I was really sure about going and everything.

But then my parents have altered my mind a little. All I have ever wanted in life is to be able to have land and a horse someday. That is my reason for even becoming a teacher..because I like English (english teacher) and it will be good money for me to own a horse. My reason for living is to someday own my own horse and be out of a trailer park.

Anyways, last night my parents told me that next year around march they are going to be buying about 3-4 acres of land!! So now I'm very confused inside. I want to go to University to a point, but I also want to live on land and I can have my own horse on that land. Although I would still be living with my parents, they don't care how long I stay as long as I keep paying them monthy rent (which is not that much). I'm so confused on what to do, cause I wonder if I stay home and not go to University, will I be happy and content in the end, or will I not, because I'm still with my parents? Or should I go to University?

It's boggling my mind right now. It's that type of decision where it gets you really depressed because you have no idea what to do. Does anybody have any advice or any suggestions? Or just want to talk with me about it? It would be so much appreciated:) Thanks for listening.

mike001
02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Is there any way you could live at home and take the course at a community college to save money? A good education is never wasted, and you never know what could happen in the future that you would have to depend on your teaching course. If on the other hand you are heavily into horses, have you thought of givng ridig lessons to make a few dollars, maybe buying great stock, breeding and selling horses. I know there's a great market for that. I would try to work around taking your teaching course at your community college though.

coco-bean
02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
When i graduated i went straight to college because everyone told me that i had to other wise i wouldnt get a good paying job. Some cases it is true, some it is not! For the type of work i happen to want to do, i have to go to college. I could be a receptionist for the rest of my life...but do i REALLY want to do that? Nope, i wanna work in a vet's office but i cant without some sort of degree.
I took a year off from school, and it was one of the smartest decisions i made. Sure i racked up a nice some of student loans the first year but it made me realize i wasnt ready. I wanted to work out in the real world for a while and get a good hold on life. Now that i have a decent grip im finally going to be taking some summer classes.
Dont rush things, there's other ways to pay for your dream. In my state that i live, teachers dont get paid much. Trust me my moms an english teacher.
She moved to Connecticut and now she actually makes money, she really deserves it too, she's a very smart woman and knows how to make kids learn.
BUT... like i said dont rush, you have your whole life to be in debt. Why start now? Maybe just get a part time job at something your interested in so you can further your knowledge then make your decision later.
There's nothing wrong with living with your parents, especially if they make you pay rent, so you get a feel of what paying for real bills feels like.
When i was in high school i had a car loan and i thought i was "responsible" well guess what? i had another thing coming to me when i moved out.
Having to pay for MORE then a sandwich from burger king everytime i got hungry and my car loan payment didnt even cut it after i moved out and i had to pay utilities, and god for bid i go without internet...which of course my parents paid for, and now i have too. I also have an addition to coke a cola so guess what i have to buy that too..plus groceries! man o man i had the life with my dad.
Dont rush things, you have your whole life to grow up and get in debt.
Best of luck!!

Karen
02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Go to University, dearie. It'll do more than cause you debt, it'll give you all sorts of opportunities, an education, and the world needs good teachers. You can still spend time at your parent's land - when they get it - and even live there after University if you end up wanting to. You have lots of your life ahead of you, there's time for both!

coco-bean
02-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Go to University, dearie. It'll do more than cause you debt, it'll give you all sorts of opportunities, an education, and the world needs good teachers. You can still spend time at your parent's land - when they get it - and even live there after University if you end up wanting to. You have lots of your life ahead of you, there's time for both!

But dont forget...Community Colleges open lots of doors too! Maybe not to be a teacher but can def. get you started!

Kalei
02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much all three of you. You all make alot of sense to me and have already helped me out alot. Unfortunately no community college around here has teaching courses, so that's not an option. I live in a really small town and the only college here is all trades courses. I definately plan on breeding horses or racing them someday!:D Teacher or not I will still ride them and even teach riding lessons.

coco-bean you made alot of sense too. You are very right I do have lots of time to figure things out. I guess its just that if I don't go to University this year then it will be my third year at home since high school, which makes me 20 in less than 2 months, I feel like a bum lol. Usually when I think about it for awhile, I end up still thinking University is the best root. The years will probably go by fast and soon enough I can have my horses. The loan I will have to pay off won't take me 12 years, maybe 6 or 7, I'm going to try and get a teaching job at a school by my parents so that I can live with my parents and pay off the loan much faster. Their rent is very cheap lol, they love me:)

And Karen thanks so much. I always forget too that I do have 5 months off every year. University courses end in April and then I have all the way til september til I go back again. I suppose I could have a horse while at University and spend 5 months with it when I get back. And I agree with you that the world needs good teachers. That's one thing that is scary too. The younger generations these days are scary and unpredictable, I just hope that if I become a teacher nothing bad happens with students. There has been so many innocent teachers blamed for sexual harassment by students that just want to hate. I"m sure some teachers probably did harrass, but there is alot that hasn't. I will definately do my best to be the best teacher!:D

I always forget that I do still have many years ahead. I guess I just don't like the thought of being 26 when I finally start my career, but I also heard on news shows that these days people never really reach full adulthood until 26 so I'll be getting out of University at a perfect age:p Right now I definately still have lots of fun and kid in me too:)

Thanks everyone, sorry for my novel.

Suki Wingy
02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I am younger than you but all I can say is follow your heart. I have realized I rather be poor in all other aspects and enjoy showing with a horse. Horses mean so much to me I cried durring the credits of Flicka when they played a slideshow of kids on horses and played Tim McGraw's My Little Girl and I haven't cried in a movie since Air Bud.

Karen
02-21-2007, 08:28 PM
It depends on where she lives whether Community College would help or just be a different route!

But I do reccomend college in your case, Kalei, and remember to check about financial aid and scholarship/work study programs, too - they can really help defray the cost.

Kalei
02-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I am younger than you but all I can say is follow your heart. I have realized I rather be poor in all other aspects and enjoy showing with a horse. Horses mean so much to me I cried durring the credits of Flicka when they played a slideshow of kids on horses and played Tim McGraw's My Little Girl and I haven't cried in a movie since Air Bud.

lol thanks for that Suki Wingy...don't worry I cried many times during that whole movie. One of my fav horse movies ever!

Kalei
02-21-2007, 08:30 PM
It depends on where she lives whether Community College would help or just be a different route!

But I do reccomend college in your case, Kalei, and remember to check about financial aid and scholarship/work study programs, too - they can really help defray the cost.

Actually thanks for mentioning that. Scholarships would definately be nice. My first year of University I want to try and keep my greats anywhere from 85% and up! If I have really good grades then that makes me applicable for many scholarships which can really help out with the costs of University.

Suki Wingy
02-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I am getting off track of the thread but I loved it even though Mustangs are so overopoulated they are trying out long lasting birth control for the mares, and all but the strongest stallions are gelded.

coco-bean
02-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry i guess i didnt realize you had already been outa high school. Im sure you've had plenty of time to think about it. Well anyways, i hope you follow your dream and be the best you can be at it! Good Luck!

Kalei
02-21-2007, 08:35 PM
I am getting off track of the thread but I loved it even though Mustangs are so overopoulated they are trying out long lasting birth control for the mares, and all but the strongest stallions are gelded.

Speaking of Mustangs, I was laughing at first during the movie, because that black/dark bay horse wasn't a mustang at all. It was too big to be a mustang. And at one time it even was an Arabian lol. But that's okay I never thought of it during the rest of the movie. lol, oh well, this off track is very good, I love talking about horses too.

Sorry i guess i didnt realize you had already been outa high school. Im sure you've had plenty of time to think about it. Well anyways, i hope you follow your dream and be the best you can be at it! Good Luck!

That's alright, there's no way you could've known:p Thanks so much for all your thoughts, every thought means alot to me and helps make one step closer of a decision!

Marigold2
02-21-2007, 09:12 PM
In 48 years I have never heard anyone say " I wasted time getting an education" No one EVER regrets an education. You will have money to make your dreams come true with a degree. It's something that will always be yours, if you marry and get a divorce, if your husband becomes ill, if your horses need medicial care, if you children want to go to a movie or have a new pair of shoes. All these things take money. Would you rather work 70 hours a week making $9.00 an hour or would you rather work 40 hours a week making $34.00 an hour?

Daisy and Delilah
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
In 48 years I have never heard anyone say " I wasted time getting an education" No one EVER regrets an education. You will have money to make your dreams come true with a degree. It's something that will always be yours, if you marry and get a divorce, if your husband becomes ill, if your horses need medicial care, if you children want to go to a movie or have a new pair of shoes. All these things take money. Would you rather work 70 hours a week making $9.00 an hour or would you rather work 40 hours a week making $34.00 an hour?

This is exactly how I feel. Very very very well said! I am always a supporter of getting an education first. You will put yourself into a position to write your own ticket. Go to school while you're young. You won't be sorry. It may seem hard to do but read and re-read the above quote. It's so true :)

Catty1
02-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey, Kalei:

Go to university. You can go to your parents' land later.

The other way around would be a LOT harder....with tuition fees increasing and all.

You might get some good opportunities to help pay for U when you are there.

And you might be able to find accomodation halfway through the year that is less expensive.

hugs and good luck!

borzoimom
02-22-2007, 07:48 AM
I also agree to get the education- and as pointed out- that would still leave some time break to enjoy a horse ( and in nice weather..)
I never regreted my degrees- and although I ended up going into other areas, having the degrees helped get the door open. In some cases- even if you can do the job, as you know- without the degree you would not be considered.

Kalei
02-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow, thanks everyone, you are all very inspiring and have made me feel much better. I was still leaning towards University, but now I full blown going to University. I was talking to my mother and she said too that after a few months of being there, I will know whether or not I will be happy with the education I am learning or not.

And you're very right, an education will always open many opportunities for me and if I ever needed money for something unplanned, it won't be so hard to get it:)

Kalei
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
OH and I forgot to tell the good news. I searched much deeper into the costs, and it won't cost me 100 thousand dollars after all, it will only cost 66 thousand, which is soooo much nicer than 100,000.000. Now I feel better about that too:)

kuhio98
02-22-2007, 10:42 AM
I hope you decide to go to University. Life isn't all or nothing. You can have both. Maybe not at the same time -- but you can have both.

Start NOW (if you haven't already) applying for every scholarship/student loan you can. Work with your University to make it happen. Do they have a website you can check out? Find out if there are job opportunities at stables or ranches or large animal vets near your University.

Do you have a job right now? If not, get one. The more you have up-front, the easier your first year will go.

You'll never be sorry if you further your education. It will open up more possibilities for your life. Don't change your plans based upon your parent's plan. What if they change their minds? What if the ranch deal falls through? Go to school! Make your own money! Get your own acreage! Live your own dream! And be open to changes. If your dream changes... go with it!

slleipnir
02-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Could you build your own place on your parents land??

Kalei
02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Could you build your own place on your parents land??

Well when I come out of University and have a good job that makes good money, I can build my own place on their land. they don't care if I do and would actually like it if I did!:D So if I can I will definately live on their land:)

I hope you decide to go to University. Life isn't all or nothing. You can have both. Maybe not at the same time -- but you can have both.

Thanks for all your kind words! You are very right. Sometimes I feel like if I am a teacher I can't be a rancher or horse rider at the same time. But then I remember that I'm very wrong. I can definately be a teacher and have my horses at the same time:D

And Yep I have a very good full-time job right now, so I"m saving all the money I can for it:)

Blue_Frog
02-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Congrats Kaleii! It sounds like you have a great opportunity for University, and applying for scholorships is a good plan -- heres a site that might be useful :)

http://www.scholarshipscanada.com/

As well, heres some hits from Google -- http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=canada+%2B%22scholarship%22&meta=

Good luck! :D

carole
02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Take it from an oldie like me, i had the opportunity to go to university ,but i decided against it, i have regretted my decision to this very day, and always will, please put your education first ,the land and the horse will always be there at sometime stage in your life, but studying when you are older is just doing it the hard way, make it easier on yourself, put in the hard work now , and reap in the benefits later on, you will have your horse and land that i am sure of. GOOD LUCK. :)

Cataholic
02-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Everyone gave wonderful advice, so, I won't continue on that path.

The one thing I thought immediately about your post was, "well, one thing sounds like a long-term goal and the other sounds like a short term goal". I think as long as you pursue that long term goal (education/teaching), you can do the short term things on the way!

Good luck!

JenBKR
02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Well I am late chiming in, so it looks like you have already made up your mind :D That's great! I went through the same thing, and ended up going to college and getting my degree. I don't regret it for a second. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

One other thing I wanted to point out is that even if you can't take your whole degree program at a community college, you could probably take some of your general education classes there. That's what I did, and I saved a bundle. You could even take classes at both places (2 at university, 2 at community or something like that) at the same time if you want. Usually community colleges work very well with universities. I completely recommend that (and, my degree doesn't say 'Westmoreland County Community College and University of Pittsburgh,' just 'University of Pittsburgh.') I am always in favor of community colleges!

If you ever need to talk about any of this, just PM me - I've been there! ;)

Kalei
02-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks so much everyone! You are all so encouraging as to what would be best for me. I believe you are all right when saying education is the right path I should go. Soo. I am going to go ahead with University!:D

I just kept saying to myself...after University I will still be young and then be able to get a horse and possibly live on my parent's land...and that those years at University will probably go by very fast.

And the community college thing is a good idea too, I should check and see if they do that here too:)

Once again thanks so much everyone, I mean you mean so much because you are all the people who made me feel better and made me make the dicision without getting so depressed over it. You made me see things that I wasn't seeing. I hope you all have a great day!:D

Daisy and Delilah
02-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Great choice!!! Good luck with school and everything else you want to do. Keep us posted on how school is going :)

Argranade
02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure what I would do but being a teacher is not on my list so the parents thing would work for me lol! .. I mean owning a horse for me would be a dream come true .. next to owning a zebra lol.

Too bad your not part native otherwise University would be completly free!

I have the chance to go to college, University ect .. but it's not for me.

Too bad I can't give you my chance lol.

carole
02-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I think you have made the right choice, and i am sure you will never regret your decision,good luck and i hope all goes great for you. :)

Kalei
02-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks so much!:D I will definately not regret it for sure. I can't wait til march break! I am going to the University for the tour and I'm going to bring my camera. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Everyone that talked to me told me that it is an amazingly beautiful University and it even has two skating rinks :eek: lol I can't wait. I will definately show you all the pictures of it:)