PDA

View Full Version : Still in the family?

animal_rescue
02-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this...

My brother might be taking Marty. He LOVES Marty, he's always been a small dog fan and when he lived here he was always babying him. My brother is currently overseas for the umm Marines I believe(not a great memory lol) but when he gets back and gets his new house, he wants to take Marty and my mom is going to let him. My brother also has two other dogs, 2 kids and a wife. So Marty should be good there.

Now I plan on moving. I'm really considering Gainesville, FL. Which is pretty far from where I am now, but once I'm stable and everything I plan on bringing Maggie and Roxie(along with Squishy and Squirt and maybe Paulie too) to live with me. I don't want to say favorites but I love these guys and I can't possibly live without my Maggie atleast.

Also my other brother got an apartment and he wants to take Baxter. I'm kind of iffy about if he'll be stable enough to take care of him, but my mom is smart enough to decide on that.

Which then leaves Sunny, Collin, Lily, Alex, and Emmy with my mom and the rest of my family. So my wondering is, how do you feel about kids taking pets with them when they move out and also kids do you want to take your pets with you when you (are able to and steady) leave?

Ceph
02-21-2007, 07:39 PM
I'll just give you my side - I adotped a puppy this past summer and brought him home. The original plan was to train and spend all my time with the puppy over the summer, and then my mom would take care of him for the months before I got my apartment...then I Dad got attatched to him, so I found my mothers *perfect* dog, and placed Deedee with her...and then Dad was supposed to keep Jay until I got my apartment. That was the plan.

My parents divorced four years ago and my dad has lived alone (except for when I am back from school)...I worry about him alot when he's alone. It ended up being that when I left to go to school he seemed alot happier than in past years...we didnt need to talk as much...I didnt worry as much, and instead of saying 'I miss you' when he went on vaction this past winter, he said 'I miss Jay'....I wasnt hurt.....too much :p

My father and I decided to leave Jay with him....Jay's his little baby, and he loves that dog...(spoils him rotten....and guys say girls are bad about spoiling pooches)...and I am bringing a puppy to my apartment with me after this summer. I am really close with my Dad, and it made me happy that he bonded so closley with Jay (even though I miss him).

I guess if you are kind of in a situation like that...when your mom really wants to keep a dog or two or three because it gives her pleasure, let her....if not, you should prolly keep the dogs with you.

Suki Wingy
02-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, we're actually thinking about the same question with Niņo after college or whatever. I really want to go to a show barn and become a working student weather before college or after (preferably before) and that won't be the best environment for a dog so... I don't know.

animal_rescue
02-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Thank but it's kind of the opposite here. My mom got Maggie mostly for herself, mind you this was back when I was err 11-12?, and well Maggie became MY dog. I'm truly bonded with her and I've never imagined not living with her or not bringing her with me when I move out of my house. I've already talked to my mom about it and luckily she wholeheartedly agrees that when I move out Maggie belongs with me.

Roxie is my dog, I got her for me and my mom would be more than ecstatic if I took her with me because she's such a pain in the butt! lol :p

Squishy and Squirt are both mine and I've had Squishy for about 5 years now while I just got Squirt from the HS.

My mom won't mind me taking them, so I know there's not a problem in that. I'm just hoping I can take care of all of them, because I know adding a bird in it, Paulie, may be a little more to handle for one person and if I get my roommate like i'm hoping for, we'll be taking in her pets as well. Wow I'm getting a bit ahead of myself now! lol

Ceph
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
lol, make sure you get a place with no animal or breed restrictions...I had to fight and find my way around all that for my puppy. :)....I did though :p

Kfamr
02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
There is no doubt that my dogs will be coming with me when I move out. My parents say they want to keep atleast Simba. But, I couldn't imagine living without any of them.

So when is this move happening? ;) Gainesville, FL is not TOO far away!

.sarah
02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
As long as you have the time and finances and you think it's the best thing not only for you but also for the animals, then I think it would be totally fine. If I could afford to move out, I would, but I can't afford a house much less to take three dogs with me (Luka would stay with my parents) without having a full time job which would not give me much time for myself and the dogs.

On another note, Gainesville isn't too far, we could probably get together every so often. :D

animal_rescue
02-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Lol!

I'm actually considering next summer or the summer after. I'll have to see how the year goes.

.sarah
02-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Ha, me, you and Kay could all move in together and have a million dogs :p That would be interesting!

animal_rescue
02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Ha, me, you and Kay could all move in together and have a million dogs :p That would be interesting!

Hey I'm all for that!

What do you think, Kay? :D

buttercup132
02-21-2007, 08:13 PM
The animals that I take care of and that were bought for me are mine and they will come with me. I kind of have the situation you have with Maggie. Thunder is the "family" dog but I couldn't move out without him. I couldn't imagine not having him with me.

.sarah
02-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm lucky that my parents are understanding in that these are all MY dogs. We would only have Mandy right now if I hadn't taken on all responsibilities for the dogs. Should I choose to take them all with me they would be okay with it. They would be upset because they are a huge part of the family, but since they are all mine, it would be fine. Actually, the Labs are all in my name, but Mandy is in my parents'. But Mandy and I have a very, very strong bond and my parents, while they love her, she doesn't have much of a bond with them. I'm like that with Luka - I love her very much, but we don't have a bond like I do with the other three but she does have that bond with my parents, especially my dad. For that reason, it would be best for her to stay with them.

cmayer31
02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
When I moved to San Diego I was living with my parents. We adopted Riley know that she was my dog, but when I moved out the roommates and I had a no pet policy. Riley stayed with my parents and now the lines are really blurred between whos dog she is. If/when I move again I don't know that I could take her from them, so I really don't know what will happen.

Frankie was an emergency rehome back to me (broke the no pet policy because all of the other roommates ended up with pets first :rolleyes: ), and my parents don't really like the situation that caused me to get Frankie back, so there's no doubt that she is my dog and I will always have her.