PDA

View Full Version : Flagstaff,AZ

coco-bean
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
My boyfriend wants to move to Flagstaff, AZ but i dont know anything about it. I want somewhere warm and im pretty sure he's set on this place!
Anyone know anything about Arizona, anything will be helpful! thanks

DrKym
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Live right outside there in Prescott for 12 years
It is pretty!

Kfamr
02-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm going to Arizona in May - I'll let you know then. ;)

Freedom
02-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I visited Sedona - Red Rock Country - for a week's vacation a few years back. What I know is that the humidity is low to non-existent, the summer heat goes very high, the scenery is beautiful, and you could spend a lifetime making trips to all the areas around there! We did a day trip (with a tour) to the Grand Canyon.

So I think air conditioning is standard in all homes there. I'm not sure about heating and the winters; we had a snow flurry which had everyone in a dither, so I think it is VERY rare.

Edwina's Secretary
02-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Flgastaff can be cold...and snowy..in the winter....

DrKym
02-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Flagstaff is a ski capital and hosts the Snowbowl,
all of north AZ has 4 seasons, and we get quite a bit of snow, my kids still have 4 ' on the ground in Prescott.

Sedona is a pricey tourist area and most ppl that work in Sedona live in Cottonwood.

Prescott is home to the oldest rodeo in the nation, and is a decent mix of economics
Drugs are rampant as there are a lot of border runners,work is low end pay even for high end jobs, One of the reasons we moved, Jasper is a Unix administrator, he made 52 k in Pheonix with a 2 hr commute each way every day.......soing the same job here in St Louis Telecommuting from home and working 5 office days a month he makes 80K.....no difference in job.

AC is common but swamp coolers are preffered as they are cheaper to run electricity is expensive out there.

BC_MoM
02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
I saw Arizona on Animal Planet Heroes last night.. Looks WAYY too hot for my liking! :eek:

DrKym
02-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Not all of AZ is hot, but all of it is desert, Flag is considered high desert, as is Prescott

Danegirl2208
02-21-2007, 06:04 PM
im in Pheonix....i love flagstaff, beautiful city....like kym said they get quite a bit of snow during the winter months, but their summers are lovely... snow bowl is a huge thing up there during th winter months, and the Grand Canyon is just a short drive away.

coco-bean
02-21-2007, 06:21 PM
any thoughts on Springdale?

Almita
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
I live in Arizona. Flagstaff is a cold place in the winter it snows. It's pretty nice in the spring and summer. If you want warm in Arizona you could go to Phoenix and in Phoenix there's Mesa, tempe, gilbert, and much more cities. Also Tuscon is a nice place too. I love where i live also i love Sedona.

applesmom
02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Flagstaff is beautiful in the summer but can be extremely cold in the winter. It's no longer a small town and is currently struggling through some major growing pains.

This would not be a good time to move to Flagstaff. The last few years have brought a huge influx of Californians hoping to escape the high cost of living, crime, drugs etc. Instead of escaping their problems, they've brought them with them.

As an example; Flagstaff recently built and opened a new state of the art jail facility. The new jail is already overcrowded and criminals are being turned back out on the streets just as they are in the majority of major American cities.

Because of the growing frustration and unrest due to the huge problem with illegal immigrants, you'd be smart to avoid the Southwest entirely!

Uabassoon
02-21-2007, 07:17 PM
I've lived in Tucson for 7 years and I love it here. I have a few friends that live in Flagstaff and have visited a few times so I'll try to give some input. Flagstaff is BEAUTIFUL, the mountain view is just amazing. Winters are cold and the spring and summer are pretty mild. If you love the outdoors then Flagstaff is a wonderful place, there are lots of great hiking spots. Sedona is also less than an hour away, which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Flagstaff is a college town, the city isn't that big and the school is the 3rd largest in Arizona. Rent is a little high considering the size of the city (their prices are higher than Tucson). Flagstaff has an unusually high concentration of hippies and new age people. Sedona is believed to be some kind of Vortex (I'm not even kidding!), so it attracts lots of new age type and many live in Flagstaff since it's cheaper to live than Sedona.