PDA

View Full Version : Great Britain residents, I need your help!

Pembroke_Corgi
02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I am doing a literature review, and one article on education is from England. They keep referring to "high sets" and "low sets" of students.

I'm assuming that it has to do with grades, meaning the "high set" achieves better scores. However, it doesn't say that anywhere in the article! A quick google search didn't reveal anything, so before assuming anything, I'm hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on this!

So, what does "high set" and "low set" mean? I'm hoping that someone will know, as these researchers evidently thought it was obvious enough not to explain in their article.

Killearn Kitties
02-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm afraid that I am not going to be much help. I have never heard the expression in my life. I think my assumption would be the same as yours, if that seems to make sense in the context of the article.

EDITED - You might want to PM Brody's Mum. She is not usually on in the evening certainly, but her husband works in education, and might be able to verify the the meaning for you.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your input! :)

Luckily, I stumbled across the answer in another article (from Australia). I guess we were right, "high set" means higher achievers and "low set" means lower ones.

Muddy4paws
02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
You got it right, Im my old school we had intermediate which was the higher set and foundation which was the average low set :)