PDA

View Full Version : I need inspiration

Sirrahsim
02-21-2007, 07:34 AM
I went to my doc yesterday and may be developing a condition called Obstetric Cholestasis... In a nutshell it means that my body is not processing bile as it should so it is collecting in my body and making me itch SEVERELY...
Our first course of action is to use a steroid cream and to cut as much fat as possible out of my diet to see if it helps.... But I eat a ton of junk. Nice heavy meals like lasagna and meat loaf are my FAVORITE but they have a lot of fat and thus produce a lot of bile.

I need simple low-fat meal ideas that don't have a lot a funky ingredients like goat cheese or anything like that! I am a VERY picky eater so it is so hard to find healthy meals that I'll actually like :(

I forgot to mention: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is for some reason encouraged??

Sirrahsim
02-21-2007, 07:38 AM
I'd also like to add that if you wouldn't mind could you please pass some positive thoughts this way. If it turns out that this is what I have then the baby will likely have to be delivered before 36 or 37 weeks :(

DrKym
02-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Positive thoughts flying that way ! and I have tons of low-fat NUMMY recipies! pm your email if you want and I can load you up with them!

Also is you haven't done it already subscribe to a group called allrecipes.com
they email new recipes daily based on the criteria you specify :eek:
I have used a bunch from there and they have all gone over really well! It is free so no fees to get some great ideas!!

Sirrahsim
02-21-2007, 07:45 AM
PM sent and I am off to sign up with allrecipes.com right now :)

borzoimom
02-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Prayers coming your way!

Daisy and Delilah
02-21-2007, 08:26 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you Missy. I hope everything works out soon and you get better :)

Itching is no fun is it? It can really drive you crazy. Do you like salads? Always a great low fat alternative but watch the fat in the dressing and toppings. Weight Watchers has some great cookbooks out there--free at your local library. I have alot of their books. I love them. You can still make your lasagna and meat loaf but use lower fat ingredients. A good substitute for the meat is ground turkey instead of beef. It's alot tastier than you think. Load up on veggies!! I love those new steam bags that you put on the microwave(blue bags). Made by Birdseye. I also like the Green Giant veggies in a box. Most of those are low fat and pretty tasty.
The biggest thing is to read read read labels for fat content. Good luck to you :)

Sirrahsim
02-21-2007, 08:29 AM
thanks :) We have lots of veggies in the cupboards and the freezer but I rarely remember that they are there! I'll have to go out and pick up some salads and low fat dressing. I really like carrots so I guess carrots dipped in low fat ranch might not be too bad.... better than potato chips anyway :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-21-2007, 08:53 AM
You can also get low fat potato chips and they're great. Lays has baked everything. You probably want to watch the sodium content, especially being pregnant. Another thing I could survive on is a big pot of vegetable soup. I use the WW recipe for cabbage soup(you can find it online) but I doctor it to my taste. I add and subtract what I like. Put some wheat crackers in that and it's fabulous and very filling. You can also add low fat meat to that or low fat cheese sprinkled over it. Sometimes I add a spoonful of low fat sour cream or even skim milk to make it kinda creamy. The possibilities are endless!! Low fat doesn't have to taste bad!! :)

The carrots dipped in low fat ranch is a great snack too. Sometimes that crunchiness will kill your craving for the chips or nuts. However, another alternative for chips; sometimes I get those veggie chips or soy chips-I love those too.

DrKym
02-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Until I started the Nutrisystem , I had never thought I would touch a soy chip, THEY ARE NUMMY!! I find they have more flavor than regular chips and are filling so the serving size sounds so small (an ounce) but by the time you are finished with the package your full anyway!

Those salad spritzers are wonderful for low fat dressings too by the way! I have tried each one and they are all very very tasty! I have found the yoplait extra creamy low fat yougurts are so thick it is like eating a pudding! Great taste and low fat low calorie excellent way to add dairy!(I am not much of a milk drinker) Also the kraft no-fat and low fat cheeses so far have worked in to recipies with out any difference in taste or texture!

Celery sticks (negative cals) with a tsp of low fat Peanut butter, yummy and adds a bit of protein to the diet with liitle fat added!

Tofu (you all knew I would throw that in !I love tofus versatility) marinated in anything you are in the mood for and added to soups, salads, tuna or seafood salads, low fat alternitive to adding more meats or cheeses!

Hope those recipes get you started and I will send over the folder later on today after I zip file it as there are close to 1000 recipes in it!LOL

Sirrahsim
02-21-2007, 09:20 AM
thanks for all the tips :) A big pot of veggie soup would be really yummy, I might even be able to get Tyler to eat some :rolleyes: It'd be good for both of us!
I have to limit my intake of tofu/soy because of my thyroid disease but I'll have to try those soy chips!

The recipes that have sent so far look SOOOOO good Kym!

kuhio98
02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, I eat salads every day -- but it's more like they are my "Ranch Dressing Delivery System". :p So, that's not very healthy. But, I have started making meatloaf and lasagna out of ground turkey and Grillers. http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/ You can also use Grillers to make wonderful tacos. http://www.seeveggiesdifferently.com/product_detail.aspx?family=366&id=324 Just spice it up the way you would normally with meat.

I'm not a big meat eater, so whenever I'm making lasagna, spaghetti or tacos, I usually use Grillers. But, sometimes you just crave a greasy hamburger, so we buy ground round (more expensive, but less fat) and use that. I have served Grillers to many people and they never knew the difference. I've never tried the receipe below, but I think I just might. Also, I hate low/no fat cheese, so I try to save on the fat content of the meat so that I can have cheese that actually tastes like something!

Check the fat and calorie content, because just because it's vegetarian, doesn't mean it's low fat.

Ultimate Meatless Loaf

INGREDIENTS

1 package Morningstar Farms Grillers
1 package Morningstar Farms Sausage Patties
1 package Morningstar Farms Griller Crumbles
3 eggs
2 slices bread, crumbled
2 Cups shredded Cheddar cheese (save 1/4 cup for garnish)
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms

Crumble thawed Griller products in large mixing bowl. Add eggs,crumbled bread, and shredded cheddar and mix well. Finally, add onion, mushrooms, salt and pepper, and mix. Press solidly into greased loaf pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
Sprinkle top with shredded cheddar for garnish.

Catty1
02-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Inspiration?

How about living a long and healthy life for your kids? :)

Good for you. HUGS!

PS: did you know the word "diet" comes from a Greek word meaning "way of life"?

I liked Susan Powter's motto: 'Eat, Breathe and Move!' (I have to work on #3...if only I could quit my day job.... :p )

gini
02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Don't you just love Pet Talk? You can come here with just about anything and get immediate, quality answers.

Good luck Missy - you are such a good Mom!