PDA

View Full Version : Male or Female Dog.. Which is better for the house?

Dachshund_dog
06-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Which one is better protecting the Home? The male or the Female..

Also looking at getting a Dachshund

aly
06-28-2002, 12:47 AM
I never like making generalizations based on gender. If you're getting a Dachshund, I think either male or female would work. Those little devils bark at the drop of a hat :)

sabies
06-28-2002, 03:49 AM
As a young child my family had a male dachsund. Unfortunately we had to give him away because he was biting the neighborhood kids who came over to play. From what I understand they are family dogs and will protect their family. The problem for us was little kids play in ways that I guess Funny (named by my sister cause he was funny-looking) thought was a threat.

I agree with Aly - male or female dachsund would protect your home.

pupper-lover
06-28-2002, 08:47 AM
The dogs personality, not gender, determines whether or not it would be good at gaurding your home. If you are picking out a puppy, I would suggest getting one of the middle range temperment pups of the litter. You want a pup that is not scared of you and the others dogs, but you also don't want one that is overly aggressive.

Just wondering . . . What kind of "home protection" are you looking for? If you just want a dog that will alert you, by barking, when someone is outside, almost any dog will do that. If you are looking for a dog that will completely keep intruders out of the house, you may need a different type of dog, plus lots of doggy training. My family has always had golden retievers and lab-mixes. One of the dogs even had a abusive past. All of them (boys and girls) were great family dogs, and would lick anyone that came into our house. They would all also warn us of anyone outside, and were trained to get in between us and an attacker, if need be. It is best if you pinpoint what personality traits, protection and otherwise, you and your family desire, before you go out and get that dog.

slleipnir
06-28-2002, 09:12 AM
I agree. If your picking out a pup, go for whatever one you fall in love with. I own both male and female dogs. Before I got the female, the male would do his thing to protect the house. Now, hes older now, and doesn't hear and stuff, but we also have a female now. She barks at people coming to the door, and I assume if someone broke in also she would protect her house. I wouldn't say to pick either male or female, but which ever you fall in love with :] I was actually suppost to get a male dog when I went puppy searching, but the minute I held my little girl, I knew she was the perfect dog, and she hasn't done anything to proove me wrong.

lovemymaltese
06-28-2002, 09:26 AM
I have never owned a female dog, so I would be partial to say a male dog, but I would assume that either gender would love you and want to protect you and your home.

mugsy
06-28-2002, 10:17 AM
We have both male and female and it doesn't make a bit of difference. I agree with the others, find a dog whether it's a pup or an adult that calls to you. Whenever we would go to a shelter there would always be some dogs that we were particularly drawn to and loved us and that's what we would take.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Presley
06-28-2002, 10:43 AM
I went with a female for one reason only.. I didn't want to deal with a male licking his naughty bits all the time... And i didn't want to deal with humping! But i will tell you... females lick their naughty bits just as much and they do hump. Presley has once with someone she was playing with..!

Dachshund_dog
06-28-2002, 11:41 AM
lol well.. I don't think I will be getting it as a Puppy.. I will try the Shelter first.. If the dog is not Nutered or Spaded then I will have that done.. I found this website.. Very Helpful.. Makes me want the Miniature Longhair

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/Longhairs.html

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/TOC.html

The Smooth haired one is nice as well

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/Smooth.html

Dachshund_dog
06-28-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by aly
I never like making generalizations based on gender. If you're getting a Dachshund, I think either male or female would work. Those little devils bark at the drop of a hat :)

It really does not matter.. But my mom is telling me she wants to get a Female dog this time because "She thinks" it will "protect" the home better.. as are last dog did not.... which by the way was a Mutt.. sadly I have to give him up when moveing to Connecticut by car.. so i'm looking into geting a Dachshund.. If I can't find one at the Shelter.. How much do they cost? I thought I saw one for like $400 or so..

Another thing.. I don't want the dog to get overweight.. My last dog never did but a friend showed me a picture of his Dachshund and it was overweight.. Fed Table food and whatnot.. Sounds like the Problem my Aunt has in NC were the dog really lives by the table.. But anyway I guess it would take a few days to get used to the home right?

Dachshund_dog
06-28-2002, 12:06 PM
wow you were not lieing....

We have a 7 year old red smooth, who is very protective of us and our home. She barks crazy if someone comes to the door. She has even tried to bite someone in our house. We think this is done out of fear, because she will hide or cower at times. How can we teach her not to be afraid of strangers when we are around?
thanx,
ambrosia

http://www.i-dog.com/board/today.html

pupper-lover
06-28-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dachshund_dog
.. sadly I have to give him up when moveing to Connecticut by car..

Why are you giving up the dog you already have???!!!:confused: :(

Dachshund_dog
06-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by pupper-lover

Why are you giving up the dog you already have???!!!:confused: :(

That was 3 years ago.. I gave him to a friend I was close by
oh and I ment to say "Had"

Barbiro
06-28-2002, 03:55 PM
I would say both. I have a male and a female and they're both very protective. :D

Dachshund_dog
06-28-2002, 04:03 PM
They get along together right? i saw another post on here saying that they were not too good around other dogs..but not sure about the same breed.. and not sure about a short haired and a Miniature Longhair one I'm sure they would get along.

Dachshund_dog
06-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Ok what if I can't find a Dachshund at the shelter... were do I go next? The Connecticut Dachshund club.. I don't know were it's at..

aly
06-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Dachshunds are really difficult dogs. They are stubborn and hard to housetrain and it is really important to socialize them well while they are puppies. Be sure to expose he/she to other dogs, cats, and kids while he/she is young to avoid any problems in the future.

Dachshund_dog
06-29-2002, 12:01 AM
Do most people get them as puppys?

I found this place which is not far from me..

Ox Ridge Kennel Club, Inc.
Mrs. James Hausman, 119 Farms Rd., Stamford, CT 06903

I'm new to this..but you buy the dogs their right?

If so how much do they run?

and this place

Connecticut Yankee Dachshund Club
Mrs. Barbara Keck, 19 Valley St., Waterford, CT 06385

Dachshund_dog
06-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Also sorry about all the questions.. I have read a few sites about the breed.. just some General questions I have..