PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Beau...

Glacier
02-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Beau had to get his bloodwork redone today--thyroid and kidney. His kidney function was ok last time, good for a cat of his age really. That was about four months ago. The news was not so good today. Both his thyroid and his kidney numbers are way up. If we treat the hyperthyroidism more aggressively, we kill his kidneys faster. The two conditions feed off each other. My vet says the numbers are high enough to call it full renal failure now. We are leaving his tapazole dose the same and I"m going to try to get him to eat the low protien food again. He doesn't like it much, but I might try a different brand this time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/The%20d-80%20pics/beuey.jpg
It is a matter of time before his kidneys can't cope anymore. I hate that there is so little I can do to stop it. The amount of time is highly variable though; could be a few weeks, could be a year.

I am going to love him, spoil him and keep him as happy and healthy as I can for as long as possible.

Freedom
02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Oh, Beau, I am so sorry to be reading this!

I am sorry, I don't recall how old Beau is?

My Mr. Amber Cat had the same situation. First the hyperthyroidism, then a few years later the kidney failure. He was 8 when he was PTS. He had been on subq fluids for about 6 months, starting at every other day and ending at 4 times per day. He went down very quickly, surprising all the vets in my hospital. He refused to eat any of the "special" foods.

I am hoping that Beau has a stronger constitution and can keep going and loving you a LONG long time!

Glacier
02-19-2007, 07:58 PM
I am sorry, I don't recall how old Beau is?

I don't know. I've only had him since June 2006. My vet's best guess is that he is at least 15, probably 16 now. He actually seems healthier, based on his appearance, than he did when I first got him.

I'm sorry about your kitty. 8 seems so terribly young!

critter crazy
02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear about Beau!

gemini9961
02-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Beau take it easy and let everyone spoil you.

I'm so sorry Tamara for this not so good news. :(

slick
02-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Major LES here.....Beau looks just like my Speckles. I know only too well the sight of full renal failure. Hang in there Beau and show your Mom that you've still got plenty of spunk left.

{{{big}}} hugs Glacier. I feel you pain.
xoxoxoxo

rg_girlca
02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your handsome Beau.

Prayers on the way for him and {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} for you.

DrKym
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
As Always hun you are in our prayers, and Beau is now also! We will light a candle for him, just as we did for Anvik.
I am so sorry about it, the worst part is that helpless feeling.

Hugs for you all

Kym and the rest of us Goodnows

Taz_Zoee
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Aww, I first read of Beau on Anvik's thread. He looks just like my Tazmoe. Come on Beau, you hang in there! This is my biggest fear for cats, but unfortunately it is common. :(

Catty1
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey, Beau baby...you surprised the vet and your mommy before...you can do it again!

Eat your new food like a good boy.

Glacier, whatever happens...that boy never had it better than with you.

HUGS AND PRAYERS - it ain't over yet.

Laura's Babies
02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Awww! I hate to hear this. Love him while you can and let him know Mommie loves him... and that PT is pulling for him!

Grace
02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Awww! I hate to hear this. Love him while you can and let him know Mommie loves him... and that PT is pulling for him!

Couldn't have said it better. I so love his pictures and am sending mega prayers northward. . . . . http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/pray.gif

krazyaboutkatz
02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that Beau will beat the odds and will be able to live a comfortable life for quite a while yet. He'll remain in my thoughts and prayers.

shais_mom
02-20-2007, 12:31 AM
hugs and prayers on the way to you, Beau and all your crew!

Barbara
02-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Filou who is surviving renal failure now for 2 years sends his best wishes to Beau.
My vet says that it is better if they don't lose weight- so she would rather have him eat "real" food than not eating and losing weight.
Filou is very happy though with his Royal Canin Renal- it comes wet in pouches or as dry kibbles. He preferred this to any other kidney diet.

All the best for handsome Beau.

Sonia59
02-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Oh no, dear, dear Beau! You are a strong boy and you can surprise your meowmie again. She loves you so much, I am sure it will help you fighting.

kallisto4529
02-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Beau what a handsome beautiful boy you are. Keep your chin up and stay strong. Tons of prayers and hugs for both of you. I pray things get better and he has more time with you.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-20-2007, 04:45 AM

Same here! I know you will both make the most of the time you have together

CultureJunky
02-20-2007, 05:29 AM
Oh no Beau :( :(
Please try to be strong and let your mum spoil you rotten. You can get through this Beau, we love to see pictures of you on Pet Talk, and we want to see them always :(

Killearn Kitties
02-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I will be sending all my healthy vibes to handsome Beau. He does look healthier now than when he came to you, and I hope he rallies.

jennielynn1970
02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
My one foster cat that I had before he was adopted was on meds for his thyroid condition. He had been a shelter kitty for at least 10 years, and it just got worse and worse when he was in the shelter. I took him in, gave him good food, made sure he got his meds regularly, and by the time he was adopted, he was down to 1/4 of the dose of his meds. He was almost off them by the time he passed away at age 15 (from a tumor, not thyroid or FIV related). With good food, lots of love, Beau will get better and better! I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

ramanth
02-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm so sorry to hear Beau's kidneys are not well. :( But I'm sure the few months he's been able to spend with you no matter how short, are far better then any other option.

I just love his sweet face. Give him scritches for me. *HUGS*

Logan
02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
He is just beautiful, Tamara. Please give him a gentle kiss from me. We wish you both all the best.

Logan

Randi
02-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Beau is such a handsome boy and I'm very sorry to read this. :( I hope he'll like his new low protein food and get better. Give him lots of loving and extra kisses from me.

finn's mom
02-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I know you will make Beau's time wonderful and that's the only gift he needs now. Poor Beau.

Reachoutrescue
02-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Beau. I hope his remaining days, weeks, months, and (hopefully) years will be stress free and filled of kitty toys and spoiling by his humans. I know it is hard to watch the one you love slip away and not beable to do anything...just remember, he is loved by you and has been since he came to your home. Love him now and forever. Good luck and give Beau a big kitty smooch for me please.

catlover4ever
02-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Beau. It is so hard to watch our babies age and start to fail. You were so very gracious to give Beau a wonderful home where he is a king in his castle.

I hope Beau's time is filled with wonderful lovings, chin and back rubs, and lots of spoiling.

kimlovescats
02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry! Hopefully you can find some extra yummy food to give Beau and he will enjoy his pampurring for quite some time longer!

Hugs,
Kim

orangemm
02-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Beau has been so lucky to have you taking care of him; he is such a lovely special boy. Just think how happy you have made him and the joy he has brought you (and all of us here, too).

Beau, honey, do what your meowmie says and everything will be all right. She's looking out for you and all of us here are praying for both of you.

Hugs to both (((((H)))))

Donnaj4962
02-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Oh my, sweet little Beau. I am so sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. Please do as Meowmie says, and we hope and pray that you will feel better.

I know that you will get lots of luvvins, hugs, and attention!

My girls and I have all paws and fingers crossed for you and your Meowmie.

catmandu
02-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Thats Very Sad News, And The Moment That Every Cat Guardian Dreads, The Moment When The Vet Comers In And Says In A Sad Voice I Have Some Bad News About Your Cat.
Its Sad That We Are Going To Outlive Our Dear Furry Friends, And We Are Praying For Beau That You Have As Much Quality Time With Him As You Possibly Can.

Medusa
02-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Handsome boy Beau. Here's wishing you as much quality time together that you can possibly have. A candle burns for you both.

Blessings,
Mary

Bengalz
02-20-2007, 07:58 PM
My dearest Beau,

You are a beautiful boy and for a time now have had wonderful purrents to love and care for you. For that I am grateful. It's very difficult now for your mommy and daddy and all your friends here to know that your time with us is shorter. Enjoy every moment and know that we love you with all our hearts.

Tamara, you are a saint :) No one could have ever given Beau what he has experienced with you and Stuart. His every day counts and you understand that. I'm sorry this has to happen and wish you all the best with this dear little kitty.

Hugs,

Betty

Vermontcat
02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm sorry to hear that handsome Beau isn't feeling too well. :(
I'm sure you will cherish each and every moment you have left with him.
Sending get well wishes and hugs your way.

jazzcat
02-20-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Beau. Prayers and positive thoughts for him.

RedHedd
02-20-2007, 10:58 PM
My prayers are with you. It's hard when they get so sick. We're watching Mishi too. It's a helpless feeling and we do the best we can and hope they hang in just a little bit longer. Cherish every day.

Queen of Poop
02-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I read this yesterday but was unable to respond. Please give Beau a big hug and kiss from me. I pray that you have the longest time together that is possible. I've no doubt that he will feel the love during that time, from you and all of us at PT.

cyber-sibes
02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Poor Beau. Getting old really sucks. We'll keep all paws crossed he'll have some quality time yet. Skritches to that handsome boy.

emilysgk
02-22-2007, 08:56 PM
(((HUGS))) He looks like a strong boy, I hope you get a lot more time with him. Eat your food buddy!

momcat
02-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Please know that many prayers are being prayed for you and beautiful Beau. He's a wonderful boy! Please keep us updated?
Lots of scritchies, tummy rubs, and smoochies for Beau and [[[[[HUGS]]]]] for you.....

Glacier
02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone. Beau is acting like he always does right now....bossy, demanding, but sweet! He is eating the Royal Canin Renal failure, at least the pouches of it. He's not thrilled with the crunchies! Of course the other cats, who don't need it, really like that kibble!

Cinder & Smoke
02-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Beau is acting like he always does right now ... bossy, demanding, but sweet!

He is eating the Royal Canin Renal failure, at least the pouches of it.
He's not thrilled with the crunchies!

:)
And he remains "selective" in his menue choices! :p

We're glad God is listening to all our Purrayers ... we remain Hopefull.

Hang In There, Beau!

Kirsten
02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm very sorry to read these news on Beau. Hope you will still have a lot of quality time together! Maybe he's a little fighter like Barbara's Filou!

Beau is such a beautiful boy! Glad to hear he's doing well atm.

Kirsten

Lobodeb
02-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm so sorry to read this, especially since it seems like just yesterday you brought him home.

This seems especially tough for me to read as I just lost my Bonnie.

Hugs to you and Beau.

Barbara
02-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Here it is the same: Tigris who doesn't need it goes mad for the Royal Canin Renal kibbles ;)
I am glad Beau likes the pouches. It's anyway better for him as the wet food contains more liquid. I have noticed that Filou now drinks much more. I have bowls all over the place and see that he drinks- something he never did when he was healthy.
All the best for Beau.