PDA

View Full Version : Good news story - cabbie returns lost money

Catty1
02-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Sure good to know there are good people in the world! More than we think!

Mon, February 19, 2007
Cabbie returns found money
UPDATED: 2007-02-19 02:03:30 MST

City accountant shocked he got his $1,600 back

By TARINA WHITE, SUN MEDIA

It was a big relief for Emil Rem, when cabbie Elyas Tahero of Blacktop Taxi returned $300 cash and an endorsed cheque for $1,300. Rem left the money in a cab and an honest Tahero found it and returned it. For the good deed, Tahero was rewarded $200 from Emil. (Carlos Amat, Sun Media)

The kindness of a stranger has given a Calgary father the perfect example for teaching his own children good morals.

Emil Rem lost his wallet -- containing $300 cash and an endorsed cheque worth $1,300 -- last Thursday evening after taking a taxi to visit friends in Mission.

On Saturday, the black leather wallet and its entire contents were handed back to the shocked 51-year-old accountant.

"I was just amazed that it could come back to me, and that it could come back ... with everything intact," Rem said yesterday after thanking the Good Samaritan responsible. "It's just phenomenal."

Blacktop taxi driver Elyas Tahero, 45, said he found the wallet underneath his seat later that night and was anxious to find the owner because of the hefty sum of money.

"I was worried about how I was going to get it back," he said.

Tahero, a devout Muslim, said the thought of keeping the wallet never crossed his mind.

"I believe we have to do good things as citizens," he said. "I feel great -- it's a relief for me ... I did the right thing."

Rem said he was touched to learn how concerned Tahero was to track down the owner of the wallet.

"What surprised me ... is he was in more of a panic than I was," said Rem with a laugh.

Without a receipt or even the name of the cab company, Rem said he had no way of locating his wallet.

He said he tried calling a few local taxi companies, without luck.

"If he'd have kept the wallet, I wouldn't know how to trace him," said Rem.

Tahero took the wallet to his company's office and staff called Rem to let him know it was safe.

To show his appreciation, Rem yesterday offered Tahero a $200 cash reward -- which the taxi driver wouldn't accept until Rem repeatedly insisted.

In addition to being thankful for having the wallet back, Rem said he's also grateful the good deed will teach his children the importance of having good morals.

"For them to see ... that strangers can help each other, it's going to encourage them to help others," he said.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Does your heart good to hear of things like this :D