PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!

coco-bean
02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Im trying to find a new place to live, cant find a dang one!! no one accepts dogs...well some do. BUT as soon as i mention theirs 3...LABS they say oh im sorry no! Grr...makes me mad! Theirs very well behaved, i mean they dont bark, they are potty trained)except for corona being sick) but come on, cant anyone give me a break! I want a bigger place, even if it has to be another apartment, i'd still be okay with it(as long as it's a two bedroom) but geez, i just need some CLOSET SPACE!!!!! and room for the doggies of course!

Catty1
02-17-2007, 08:29 PM
How about placing an ad for "Wanted to Rent"? You can mention your three Labs, and how well trained they are - maybe add that a probation period is ok with you.

That way, if anyone phones, you will know THEY know you have dogs.

Never hurts to ask for what you want! :D

coco-bean
02-17-2007, 08:34 PM
haha, most definately! but asking and getting is very different unfortunately! I'd post an ad, but the newspaper here in town is pretty pricy! im sure not as pricy as the bigger cities but pricy at that! thanks for the advice, im going to definately keep that in mind if i give up total hope hehe!!

joycenalex
02-17-2007, 08:37 PM
try craigs list or a nearby campus area, those may be a bit more pet friendly

Twisterdog
02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Try calling them a "retriever" instead of a "lab". Couldn't hurt. People used to get around the "No pit bulls" thing by calling them "terriers" instead.

Seriously, though, it IS hard to rent with dogs. :( And, in all honesty, after having our rental house TRASHED by dogs and cats alike, I can see why people are reluctant. We would have had to asked for a $2000+ pet deposit to pay for the damage those pets caused. And they were nice pets, seemed well-trained, etc. I think they were simply left alone in the house for far, far too long by themselves. :mad:

Could you get a certification on your dogs, like the canine good citizen certification? How about letters of recommendation from your vet, kennel, groomer, current or previous landlords. That sometimes helps a lot.

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 08:44 PM
How about placing an ad for "Wanted to Rent"? You can mention your three Labs, and how well trained they are - maybe add that a probation period is ok with you.

That way, if anyone phones, you will know THEY know you have dogs.

Never hurts to ask for what you want! :D
I agree...

Catty1
02-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Place ads on local bulletin boards, in laundromats, convenience stores, at the college, etc. And I like the idea of calling them Retrievers.

Letters from your vet or present landlord/neighbours would help. Your writeup could also say "References available."

You might have better luck with a neighbourhood ad.

Do you have a Shelter or Humane Society? They and even your vet might know about pet-friendly apts.

You may have to think about renting a house with a yard and getting/accepting a roomate.

Good luck! Post updates!

GiantSchnauzer
02-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Have you checked out this site?
People with Pets (http://peoplewithpets.com/)

jackie
02-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I was going to say Craig's List, but I see it has already been mentioned.

Will cross my fingers for you!