PDA

View Full Version : Do animals "talk?"

critters
02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/022007/02172007/259424

catmandu
02-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Definitley The Word Has Gotten Out That You Can Get Food And Warmth At The Found Paradise Cat Hotel.
Every Day The Three Times Bowls Of Food Have Vanished , And The Cat House By The Vent Have Been Slept In.
I Will Do What I Can For Them.
I Will Love To Have Lots Of Pet Angels With Me.
One Fine Day.

momcat
02-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I believe they do talk to each other. When it's warm and the windows are open I often hear Groucho "talking" to the birds, squirrels, cats, and other critters outside. This neat story tends to back that up. Apparently word has gotten around among the homeless and feral kitties that there's a place where they can get something good to eat on a regular basis and go to get warm. I'm sure that the Found Cats and the Porchies found out about Gary's wonderful kitty sanctuary through word of meowth.

Freedom
02-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I have always believe that animals communicate, verbally and other wise. I just don't say this to non-animal folks too lioudly, hehe.

We had 2 dogs when I was in my late teens. At age 14, Princess had suffered some sort of strokes and was no longer making vocal sounds. (she lived to 16.) Samantha would slam the water dish to tell us it was empty. (Something they had both done in their growing up years). We would fill it up, Sam would leave and Princess would come over for a drink!

Ever put food out in a bird feeder? First there is no one. Then there is one bird. In a few hours, there is flock. Word travelled somehow! The next morning, you have three times as many!

And momcat, studies have shown that, unlike most animals, cats are multi-species lingual. That is, they can communicate not only with other cats but also with other animals. Part of what led to them being thought of as having mystical powers!

mrspunkysmom
02-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Mom's scottie Molly (RB) would bark at the door to let her know one of the cats was outside and wanted in. (and sometimes out.)

Molly also rerecognized your car by the engine sounds, or so we think.

Anne

CultureJunky
02-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Yes I definately think they talk, to us and eachother. Jack definately talks to me all the time, and I talk to him. I tell him what I'm doing when he's with me and he stays with me while I'm doing chores and talks back at me.
When Kevin comes home from work, and he goes up stairs to get changed Sunny talks to him, and it's so loud I can hear it downstairs! She meow and meows at him, and I'm sure she's telling him she's missed him and about her day.
And like Sandra said, about the birds, how else would they know?!
And with our ferals, at first we only had one, and then we had three grown up cats, before the kittens came along.
I'm sure they told eachother that there was this house where there were nice people who fed them! :)