PDA

View Full Version : Border Collies back in CKC

BC_MoM
02-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Please vote NO when the time comes around!!!

Members may vote on-line, beginning February 19, 2007. Simply go to
membership services/publish for comment/polling of membership.

Don't have a computer? Now you can have the polling sheet mailed
directly to you. Please call 1-800-250-8040 toll-free to order your
copy. Deadline for submission is April 15, 2007.

http://www.canadianbordercollies.org/cbcanews.htm

theterrierman
02-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Does the CKC have the right to do that? Just grant recognition without asking?

cali
02-17-2007, 11:59 AM
not really, but their doing it anyway, CKC cant legally have claim to the BC, but they apperntly dont care.

Lori Jordan
02-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Just wondering i have not seen this but why not have them in ckc,Im not too sure what it matters what they are registerd too?

cali
02-17-2007, 12:15 PM
CKC's Misc. class allows conformation, which requires a breed standard, which ultimatly destroys the Border Collie as a working breed. plus legally only one club in Canada can lay claim to any breed of animal, and Legally the CBCA holds that claim to the breed. and because of the animal pedigree act, the only way a BC can be declaired purebred is if they are registered with the CBCA, so if CKC votes in the BC then we will have barbie breeders breeding under the pretense of the working registry, with no reguarde to working ability, just so that they can legally call their dogs border collies.

BC_MoM
02-18-2007, 10:53 AM
How do you feel about this, cali?

cali
02-18-2007, 12:17 PM
knowing my veiws, take a wild guess lol. I hate seeing what the breed has become in other countrys, and I dont want to see that happen here.

plus, one of the only reasons I am willing to show Leck is because I never have to worry about comming into contact with barbie collies while showing her in CKC, I just would not be able to handle that.

Canis-Lupess
02-18-2007, 05:37 PM
In the UK, there are two strains of the border collie now. The show ones which all look like clones and the non registered and working ones which are very variable in appearance.

I suppose some of the show ones who don't make the grade might make better pets for people who can't handle a dog with the stronger working instincts but I also know of a lot of show breeders who have sold pups to working homes and they've been fine at their job of herding and they've also been used for a whole host of other jobs like explosive search dogs, therapy dogs etc....so, they aren't always rendered useless because they were bred for show.

I still like to see the more variable appearance of the working strains though and the more intense expressions. Show collies have been bred to look more soft in the face. I like the keen expression.

Here, we have the ISDS (International sheep dog society) for the working border collies but borders can be registered with them and also with the KC at the same time. Some people who breed show dogs also work them so breed for working ability and comformation. It's a pity more of them don't do that though.

I can understand your concerns over there.

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Does the CKC have the right to do that? Just grant recognition without asking?
Not sure about CKC but in the AKC it doesnt take much to kidnap a breed. The bulk ( 75 percent) of Cavalier breeders didnt want recognition, and basically was taken by the drive of a handful of people. The sad thing about it is that breed clubs it only takes a few members that also have dog records of breeding registration to be accepted.

wolfsoul
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
I have a feeling the majority of voters may be for going over to CKC rather than against. I am around alot of border collie people and most of them feel that they are not given as many opportunities as CKC breeds as far as sporting events go. I do not have border collies so I don't really have an opinion either way.

cali
02-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I have a feeling the majority of voters may be for going over to CKC rather than against

it was actually only like 2 people that proposed the idea, almost all BC owners are against it. the probelm is more that the BC people have no involvment in the CKC, and the CKC folks dont care one way or the other.

borzoimom
02-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Just like the AKC didnt care about the bulk of Cavalier people either..

cali
02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
AKC stole the BC too. did you know that AKC actually wrote the BC standard, and NOT the breed club? thats because they didnt have a breed club, there were I think 3 breed clubs with the option, AKC picked the club that was willing to accept the standard that THEY wrote. it is now considered the BCSA standard only because they have very slightly revised it since then.

however unlike the USA, Canada has laws about what clubs are allowed to hold a breeds standard. there was a vote years ago for BC owners on weather the one club allowed rights to the BC should be CKC(they used to be in CKCs Misc. class) or CBCA, and the vote went to the CBCA. and because the CKC Misc. class allows confo. they would have to write a standard, which is againt the law in canada because CBCA holds the only legal standard.