PDA

View Full Version : Feel like im fighting a downhill battle *Update 2-19\num 2*

emilysgk
02-16-2007, 10:30 PM
I have never seen such a disasterous litter of kittens. :( Im sure sme of you have, but this is nothing I have been through before. I seen a lot happen when I worked at a dog "kennel" (border puppy mill) I did all I could there, I was not there 24hrs a day and often just found puppies that faded away, instead of witnessing it.

So mom came down with a URI I posted about. She got over it rather quickly and only has a few sneezies rarey. Not so for the little ones. At first sign of anything I immidiately to them to the vet. Only one was sick at that time. That one got an antibiotic shot, and I was given drops for it, and the other if they came down with it. All seemed OK. The other two so far only have one goopy eye each, and a occasional sneeze. The original sick one was doing rather well, sneezing, but ok. Today that changed. It has too much congestion in its nose. Its been crying off and on all day, mom is going crazy trying to comfort it, as am I. I know its hungry, and so far force feeding has not gone so well.

So this poor baby, who is quite strong actually and has a very loud voice is quite lost. Literally. :confused: Since its nose is so bad it cant seem to settle down and it wont and probably cant nurse. With no scent it dont know where or what is going on. Its mildy dehydrated. Im doing my best. I cant afford another trip to the vet and it kills me. I would hate to see this baby fade away over a snotty nose. Its secretions are still clear, just plentiful. Its fights like I didnt know a 2 week old could when i try to get fluids in it. Thats all it needs. Fluids and it would be ok (maybe, nothing certain of course) I honestly cant afford that. Between the c-section and the med I already got for them. I hope its a fighter like I believe it is. :(

Here are pics from tuesday, the day I took them in. Nursing so happily. The middle one is the sick one.

Yes kitty decided for 2 days to put the babies on the couch....
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/emilysgk0/100_2469.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/emilysgk0/100_2470.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/emilysgk0/100_2471.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/emilysgk0/100_2472.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e84/emilysgk0/100_2473.jpg

kt_luvs_kitties
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Poor little things. Did you try putting them in a steamy bathroom for about 10 minutes, to get some of the goo out? Take a baby snot sucker and gently use it on their noses.
As for needing fluids, maybe call some no kill shelters and see if they will either donate to you a bag of fluids, or do them for you daily. That might work... If they go a day or two dehydrated, they probably wont make it. Cats bodies start to shut down VERY fast without fluids. I hope you can find something out soon :(
I will pray for you and the babies.

emilysgk
02-17-2007, 12:17 AM
If the baby makes the night I will see if I can figure something out tomorrow. Not sure about that being Saturday. :( It a battle that cant be won like this and I know that. Anything by mouth is really dangerous. Since she is breathing by mouth because of nose and fighting it.... It spell aspiration being bound to happen. :( I just hope no one else gets sick like her. So far none have symptomslike this one did.

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2007, 12:27 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I sure hope that she'll be strong enough to make it through this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. I also hope that the other kittens will also continue to thrive.

When my RB Pepper had a very bad URI I used little noses pediatric nose drops. It was hard to get him to stay still but it seemed to help a little bit. I think I used one drop per nostril but I forget how often. Good luck.:)

emilysgk
02-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Were those drops medicated? She just has so much. A lot of it is coming out (so its runny not congested) I think that makes it harder since you know its probably draining down her throat also.

She is hanging on, deffinately a fighter. I read on a website somewhre to take nasal spray and dilute it by half with saline. Im afraid to try it, and yet I almost feel there is nohing to lose either. :( Just awhile ago Snow brought me the baby :confused: I think she is tired too, and knows she cant help it. She has been trying to comfort her all day.

Laura's Babies
02-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Awww! The Mama knows that her baby needs help so she brought it to you.. This is so heart wrenching! Call the vet and tell him you are broke but the baby is going to die soon if something don't change. Maybe he can tell you what to do over the phone and give you some meds for the baby..

AbbyMom
02-17-2007, 08:32 AM
I knew someone else with this problem. She put the momma and kittens in the bathroom with a vaporizer and a heater. It was like a sauna in there.

They lived!

Prayers on the way for your kittens.

kimlovescats
02-17-2007, 08:46 AM
You can buy the Little Noses baby nose drops ... just one teeny drop will take care of both sides. At this point though, there isn't alot that you can do. I wish I had a miracle cure to tell you, but I just don't. It's terrible when they get this sick so young. :( You're doing everything you can ... just try the steamed bathroom too and even a teeny weeny dab of Vick's Vaporub on their noses. Heck, you might even try a teeny bit of Nutrical to get their appetites jump started again and keep them from getting too weak. Try to syringe feed a tiny bit of KMR at a time too .... but be careful not to choke them ... I know, easier said than done. :(

Medusa
02-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes, yes, yes! Get those babies into a steamy bathroom! It should definitely help! If you can use a syringe to extract a little of the mucous from their noses, it'll help but if you can't, keep them in that steamy bathroom. They look like little calicos and I adore calicos. This is heartbreaking. Please call your vet and tell him you're broke. He's bound to take payments when you tell him your plight. Most vets will cooperate if you tell them ahead of time of your financial situation and don't wait until after you receive the health care.

Blessings,
Mary

emilysgk
02-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I tried the bathroom and the baby did bring up some more snot. My husband is gone (to work) I dont have a car, the vet closed at 1 today. The baby is still hanging on pretty well, im not sure how. I keep pushing fluids and I hope it hasnt apirated at any point. It dont seem it has, but its very dangerous in this condition and could do so unknowingly. I would say for every tiny drop on the tongue more than half comes back out. It takes about an hour and a lot of patience to get one small syinge finished. I wait about an hour to let it rest and start all over again. It must be working since its stilll alive, its still mildy dehydrated, but not severe. Time will tell. This baby is sure a very strong figter. Reminds me a little of Medusa's Puddy. :) Against all odds...

The other two are still doing well. Only ocassional sneezies, otherwise just one goopy eye each. I got a vaporizer and I put it next to the babes, I have run it in the past and it will turn my small house into a sauna soon enough.

catmandu
02-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Some Of The Momma Cat Angels Have Joined The Fight To Keep That Little One Alive.
We Are Praying For Her To Get Through The First Crucial Weeks Of Her Life.

momcat
02-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Thank you so much for giving so much effort to help these sweet little babies! All I can offer is prayers for the baby's recovery and those prayers are being prayed.

emilysgk
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Well ealier there was a time she seemed to have given up, but then she decided that she wanted to keep going. Honestly im in amazement. I know her chance is next to none, but I guess its up to her since she wont give up just yet.

Catty1
02-17-2007, 07:19 PM
HUGS!

Have you used some Vicks too with the steam? Even a wee wee dab on her nose - maybe diluted with Vaseline as it can burn tender skin -

Keep the steam going...you said the other two are doing ok...I hope you can get some food into her. If you and she can hang on another day, I think you will be over the hurdle!

prayers coming to you and that feisty baby!

Those kittens are ALL so beautiful!

Medusa
02-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Yep, calicos are fighters alright, feisty as hell and they don't give up. My Fur Posse and I are pulling for this little one. You're doing a good job and keep reminding yourself of that when it feels like you're losing ground. When you said Mama brought her to you, it was so heartwarming. She knew she needed help. Bless you so much for giving them a chance.

Blessings,
Mary

jennielynn1970
02-18-2007, 05:19 PM
I have some Clinicare liquid in cans I can send you. They might like that??

rg_girlca
02-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh gosh this is just too sad. Prayers on the way that this precious little one can make it through this.

krazyaboutkatz
02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
How's the kitten doing? I sure hope that she's still thriving as well as her 2 sisters.

emilysgk
02-19-2007, 07:32 PM
She is still clinging to life. To put it bluntly, she just dont want to die. Thats both good and bad I suppose. I hope in the end all this suffering does not end up in a bad way. I took her to the vet, he gave her a quick look, some Sub-Q fluids and said she can survive on as litte as 6-8 drops of food every 2 hrs. I have another syringe of fluids to give her in the morning. I really dont know though. I think its her kidneys. :( Her tummy seems pretty round considering how little she has consumed. Im not sure if she is peeing or not. I get nothing when I stimulate her, but she is with her mom and she does that also. Only time will tell.... She is such a fighter.

The other 2 are doing quite well minus the eye infection. I got some eye cream for that today. Im sure them two will be ok.

If she does have damage to her kidneys, is there any hope to recover? I know some of you know more about that stuff.

barncat
02-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I've had kittens and cats recover from states that I thought were impossible and some fade over what seemed like nothing.... It is so hard to tell. In the end I think we humans do our best and let Nature/God/Goddess/Bast decide. You, momma-kitty and the little one have certainly tried hard. I hope it ends with a healthy kitten, but whatever happens, remember you did your best and gave loving care.

Good wishes for you all!

slick
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
This is so sad. :( :( I'm also sad that I can't offer up anything except my prayers for you and for this precious baby you are trying to help. God bless you.

rg_girlca
02-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Bless you for bringing her to the vet and doing everything possible to keep this little one going.
Come on sweetheart, you just HAVE to get better.

I know there have been quite a few widdle kitties that have been on death's door and have survived from the love, care and devotion the person put into it, just like you are doing. I'm praying very hard that your efforts have the same positive outcome.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Medusa
02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Just keep doing what you're doing, which is your best. That's all you can do. Be sure to tell her while you're holding her to feed her that she's healing and getting better and better every day. Those healing words will take effect.

Blessings,
Mary

emilysgk
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
:(

Well its official. She is NOT urinating. Even with my completely untrained fingers I can feel her bladder. Its HUGE. :( I stimulated her in many ways and even put her bottom under a warm trickle of water and stimulated her. I put her back with a wet but so mom is licking her like crazy too.

Why would she not pee with a full bladder, anyone know about this?? My sad guess is if she dont go it may rupture? :confused: *sigh* I wish I could do something. I rubbed her tummy with gentle pressure (not too much to possibly make it rupture..) Nothing will work.

Laura's Babies
02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
I would be afraid if she don't get some urgent care, you are going to loose her.

jennielynn1970
02-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Oh, the poor thing!! I hope someone know how to express the bladder, as I do not. SIGH!!! Poor girl! Can the vet tell you how to do it or what can be done in this situation??

emilysgk
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
I dont know what can be done. There is no way I can go to urgent care or I would have had her to the vet over the weekend. There just isnt a way. :(

Catty1
02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
ALL vets have an after hours emergence number. PLEASE call hon! If you need emerg care, we can chip in on it!

We'll pay for the taxi - she is blocked sweetie!

DOES ANYONE HERE LIVE NEAR EMILY?????? :(

Catty1
02-19-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm heartsick over this little kitty, who fought her URI so bravely.

I hope it is a mucus plug that will pass...or that Emily can get a ride and find help...

OMG...even if Emily knew how to use a catheter, what would be small enough that she would have at home?

And she is offline now...PT Prayers are all that is left.

:(

krazyaboutkatz
02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( You can at least call the ER and ask them what you can do. They'll usually tell you what to do over the phone. I hope you'll be able to find a way to express her bladder. Poor little girl.:(

Here's a website that shows you how to express a dog or cats bladder:expressing a bladder (http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express/). I'm sure it will be similar in a kitten. Good luck.

Catty1
02-20-2007, 11:39 AM
*bump*

jennielynn1970
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Any word on the baby??

phesina
02-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Emily, where are you in Michigan? I am in Ann Arbor. If you are anywhere remotely in this vicinity I will take you to the emergency vet I've used in the past. Perhaps there is some other way I can help. I will PM you my phone number. Please call me if there is something I can do.

Pat Murray

kitimom
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I know I haven't replied to this post before, but I want everyone to know That I am constantly praying for this little one to pull thru.
So, Let's keep praying and bumping it up!!!

Catlady711
02-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Bump

rg_girlca
02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I pray that no news is good news.

Prayers and positive thoughts still on the way for this precious baby.

emilysgk
02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
This is the first I come back to check the board. Since all sweet RB babies need a name, Kewpie didnt make it. I soon realized my denial and wished I had seen it sooner. The night before she went to the vet she was having seizures. I had noticed her stomache was quite round (like a healthy fat baby) but obviously she was not. Instead of recieving fluids, I should have let her go. The vet seemed to think there was hope since she was a fighter, but he was rather quick in his exam and probably didnt look close enough. I think her kidneys were were already shut down. So more fluids only pushed her farther. That day she also was not as responsive and barely woke up at all, the times she did is was to cry a little. I can't describe this loss and I feel a lot of guilt over it too. Im having a hard time.

I named her Kewpie, because the night she came home from the vet she had a perfect swirl on top of her head (from karo syrup) It was so cute. I hadnt taken any individual pictures of her unti she was alreay quite ill. So these are hard for me to see, knowing she was so sick. Here she is with her mom. Hopefully her and Peewee are together again.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/emilysgk/pets/100_2519.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/emilysgk/pets/100_2520.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/emilysgk/pets/100_2521.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/emilysgk/pets/100_2523.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/emilysgk/pets/100_2524.jpg

Medusa
02-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I just got home and was going to ask how the li'l sweetie pie was doing when I read your post. Listen: you're not a vet. You did the best you could. You had your hands full w/trying to save her and keep the others alive and Mom happy, etc. I know you feel cuz we all here at PT do, too, and it's far worse for you. But please don't punish yourself. You cared enough to try and it was exhausting. Kewpie is now warm and snuggly and totally well at the RB. And when she greets you on that fine day, she'll be the first to let you know that she loves you and appreciates all that you did for her. Take heart that her suffering is over.

Blessings,
Mary
P.S. Her markings were/are just like my Puddy's. She was a fighter just like the Pudilator and she tried hard, too. But she was sick. And very tired. But now she's at peace.

Catty1
02-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh, Emily - what a relief to hear from you. If her kidneys had shut down as they did, there was nothing anyone could do.

What a sweet little face! And lovely pics of her furmom hugging her.

So sad. But do you remember the story of the Peas? SweetPea was pregnant at 7 months of age, because of a stupid owner. She had 5 beautiful kittens...and 4 died. It was incredibly heartbreaking for all of us...

But that one little boy, PeaPod, thrived and grew fat and had chubby froggy legs and was just a love! Now he and his mom are in a wonderful furrever home.

I hope the two remaining kittens will help replace the sadness in your heart with joy. And Snow has become a wonderful mommy, eevn bringing her sick baby over to you.

In the grief, Emily, there is SO much love - for you here at PT and with your furbabies.

It's ok, hon....it's gonna be just fine.

{{{{hugs}}}}

moosmom
02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm SO sorry to hear about those precious babies. You did a wonderful job and should be very proud.

RIP sweet babies. :( :(

kitimom
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I had been checking in all day to hear what happened...I am so sorry to hear the Kewpie didn't make it. She was a beautiful little girl......
(((HUGS))) to you. You tried very hard for her, and she knows that....

momtomany
02-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Bless you for giving that baby every chance. It is such a sad fact that all can't be saved. Our prayers are with you.

rosethecopycat
02-21-2007, 07:38 PM
You did the best you could. She knew love, and that's much better than never knowing it and passing alone.

Thank you for caring for them.

Godspeed, sweet Kewpie, you will get to grow up big and strong at the Rainbow Bridge.

phesina
02-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Dear Emily, I am so very sorry. You and Kewpie both worked so hard. God bless you both. What a lovely, dear little girl. All the love you poured on her will live on.

Hugs,
Pat

AbbyMom
02-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm so sorry. This sounds so painful. But I'm glad you were there to give her love. Thank you for doing what you could. Play hard at the bridge little Kewpie.

jennielynn1970
02-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh Emily, I'm so sorry! That sweet little face is just so innocent. You did what you could, and you made a difference in her life and she knew love and affection. It's so sad that she didn't make it. She was a fighter, as most calicos are. Hope the other two will be ok. Take care...

krazyaboutkatz
02-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I haven't been able to get on PT much lately but I'm so sorry to hear about Kewpie's passing.:( She was such a sweet little girl and you did everything you could for her. I hope that her other sisters will continue to thrive in your care. RIP sweet Kewpie.:(

rg_girlca
02-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh Emily, I am so sorry that little Kewpie lost her fight, but please do not feel guilty as there was nothing more you could have done. You did your best sweetie. She was blessed to have the love and care from her mama and especially from you.

Now it's time to concentrate on mama and the two little ones that are left. It will help ease the pain. That's what I had to do when SweetPea lost 4 of her babies. I put all my attention on her and little PeaPod.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Rest in Peace Kewpie.