PDA

View Full Version : Borzoi show pictures- mine and related dogs

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Considering the spring show circuit is starting, I thought I would start one thread, then add pictures as things come up in the showing this coming year..
Okay- here is Zubin and Galinas mother, Then their dad taken at the last international where he took the Hound group as well, then last years Zubin and Last year Galinas' show pictures.. ..

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 06:48 PM
And here is their brother Zorro, and Grandmother Tuppence..And uncle Gabriel.

GreyhoundGirl
02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Beautiful... just beautiful... I ADORE the colouring on the very first pic... GORGEOUS!!!!! :D Man... that's such a nice colour.... I can't get over it!!!!

GreyhoundGirl
02-17-2007, 08:51 AM
they have such interesting names... :D I wonder how they thought of them...

mike001
02-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Great looking dogs Bozoid. Love their different colourings. :)

applesmom
02-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Great Photos!

With the actual visuals you've posted, It would be a great opportunity to explain for those that don't already know what the different colors of each of the ribbons represent.

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Good point applesmom..
Zubin and Galinas mother Leonie- is a white/red agouti- agouti means she has black and grey tipping on the end of the coat.
Zubin and Galina and the rest of the gang are all white with black. Borzois can have brown on eyesbrows etc without being mentioned. White with black and brown is really reserved for dogs that have brown in their coat on their body. All colors are accepted in the AKC in Borzois. Generally speaking ( of course there are exceptions) but the self blacks- ( ie mostly all black without tri color markings) with whatever color, are generally smaller.
A tri color is just that - a tri color. Meaning- black mostly body, with brown on the eyebrows, on the muzzle, usually around the legs, with white for the belly or chest areas, and usually on the legs. A tri color Borzoi looks similar to a tricolor collie in colors. ( Femka is a tri color..here is her picture so you can see the difference. ) She is also a European Borzoi- easily seen in a more "snippy" look in the muzzle. ( she is literally as well..)
In some lights- their mother Leonie, the first photo, looks more of a grey than brown. That is from the " agouti" of her coat adding grey or black to the tips of the coat on single hairs.

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 04:22 PM
opps- I will try without making it clear as mud.. Most of these ribbons were at specials which the rosettes are changed..
First the breed is divided by sex- males and females. Each class- the winner is given a blue ribbon which says first place, the second place is red. After each class ( except BOB) finishes- then the each sex goes into the ring for " winners dog/ bitch". The winner is " Winners ribbon" which is purple, and reserve winners ( second place) which is white on left side, and darker purple right side. The two winners ( male and females) then goes into BOB. BOB can include males or females as champions- with the two winners ( ie dog and bitch). There placements there are ( here is were the ribbons will confuse you as the rosettes are speciality wins) Best of Breed in AKC is Purple and gold. Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed is Red and White..
The pictures of Micheal shows the rosette given for BOB and then the other rosette is for Hound group winner. Leonie and Gabriel are from Canada shows, Micheal is now in Columbia and also shows in California
Zubins picture is first place in his class ( blue ribbon) and Best of Winners ( BOW) which is white left side- blue white. Galina is first place class ( blue) and Winners bitch ( purple).. When they both take winners- its nerve wrecking to see both your babies in the BOB ring to say the least.. lol..

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I found two clear pictures of the California show to show what happens once they reach group. Here is the picture of Michael ( their father) taking first place in hound, ( blue ribbon rosette) with the saluki taking second place in hound group ( red rosette.)

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Verses Leonie taking Best in hound (speciality )group in Canada- with a different color rosette ..

GreyhoundGirl
02-17-2007, 06:09 PM
opps- I will try without making it clear as mud..

Skip the confusing words and post some more pics!!! ;) :D

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Skip the confusing words and post some more pics!!! ;) :D
sorry greyhoundgirl.. lol.. let me keep looking. The show circuit for us starts next month..

Freedom
02-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh I LOVE Leonie's markings! Does she ever have pups with that coloring???? She is just gorgeous! She lives in Canada now, huh? I agree with GreyhoundGirl, skip all the words, on with the photos, haha!!

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh I LOVE Leonie's markings! Does she ever have pups with that coloring???? She is just gorgeous! She lives in Canada now, huh? I agree with GreyhoundGirl, skip all the words, on with the photos, haha!!
One of her pups did come her color.. Here is Sundance.

applesmom
02-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Oops! Have there been some recent changes? :eek:

but generally the BOB is gold, BOS

Best of Breed in AKC is Purple and gold. Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed is Red and White.

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 06:59 AM
lollllll- mental glitch- thats what I get for watching a movie while typing.. lol.. Opps is right.. corrected with a good morning chuckle.. lol.. :D

applesmom
02-18-2007, 11:09 AM
lollllll- mental glitch- thats what I get for watching a movie while typing.. lol.. Opps is right.. corrected with a good morning chuckle.. lol.. :D

Always happy to provide a chuckle or two with your morning coffee! :D

By the way, when do your spring shows start? We have a 5 day all breed cluster here beginning March 1st. From then on there will be shows just about every weekend till June.

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Always happy to provide a chuckle or two with your morning coffee! :D

By the way, when do your spring shows start? We have a 5 day all breed cluster here beginning March 1st. From then on there will be shows just about every weekend till June.
Yea- I read that this morning and made a mental note to self- do not post when watching a movie.. Wait for the commercials.. lol..
We start in March. With my health as it was in January- I am afraid I wasnt able to travel until 2 weeks ago- so I am dealing with cut offs. I wish we had a 5 day cluster. We have a cluster- but the distances is alot ( still trying anyway. Thats April 4,5 then 6.7th, then the 8th. As soon as I get confirmation from my handler for Zubin, I will know for sure she is going there. The 6,7th show is the one I am really looking forward too. The judge really liked Zubin last year, almost took the breed- but in all honestly- his coat wasnt ready. He is now looking much better, and moves more like an adult. We are hitting as many early shows as we can. Once Galina comes in, we are house bound unless I allow Zubin to be farmed out. ( which I wont do.. lol.. )
This photo was taken at 18 months then the previous picture at 10 months. Although casual ( actually flat out awful.. lol) , you can see that adult coat is really coming in, and his body is more filled out- dont you think????

applesmom
02-18-2007, 12:13 PM
He's certainly lost the puppy look and has probably matured even more since then. His coat should be in great shape right now, though it might not be that great if it warms up before the shows and he starts to shed. :D

Heck, if I had a handler and a bitch at home expected to come into heat at any time; I'd sign him up for every show possible and hope that he'd be on a show circuit until she's done. ;) He's such a happy-go-lucky goofball, he'd love a vacation. And you wouldn't have to worry about the weight loss and keeping them seperated. Get him finished and Galina through her heat without having to play musical dogs. Sort of like having your cake and eating it too.

What about Galina? Aren't you going to be showing her this season?

Yea- I read that this morning and made a mental note to self- do not post when watching a movie.. Wait for the commercials.. lol..
We start in March. With my health as it was in January- I am afraid I wasnt able to travel until 2 weeks ago- so I am dealing with cut offs. I wish we had a 5 day cluster. We have a cluster- but the distances is alot ( still trying anyway. Thats April 4,5 then 6.7th, then the 8th. As soon as I get confirmation from my handler for Zubin, I will know for sure she is going there. The 6,7th show is the one I am really looking forward too. The judge really liked Zubin last year, almost took the breed- but in all honestly- his coat wasnt ready. He is now looking much better, and moves more like an adult. We are hitting as many early shows as we can. Once Galina comes in, we are house bound unless I allow Zubin to be farmed out. ( which I wont do.. lol.. )
This photo was taken at 18 months then the previous picture at 10 months. Although casual ( actually flat out awful.. lol) , you can see that adult coat is really coming in, and his body is more filled out- dont you think????

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 12:21 PM
He's certainly lost the puppy look and has probably matured even more since then. His coat should be in great shape right now, though it might not be that great if it warms up before the shows and he starts to shed. :D

Heck, if I had a handler and a bitch at home expected to come into heat at any time; I'd sign him up for every show possible and hope that he'd be on a show circuit until she's done. ;) He's such a happy-go-lucky goofball, he'd love a vacation. And you wouldn't have to worry about the weight loss and keeping them seperated. Get him finished and Galina through her heat without having to play musical dogs. Sort of like having your cake and eating it too.

What about Galina? Aren't you going to be showing her this season?
I am showing Galina until she comes in. And you have a point- after all- they are brother and sister. And although outcrosses in from mother to father, I would never breed sister to brother. ( however uh her pup if female as another outcross could come back to Zubin. - lol..) .. A bitch not being a champion is accepted if its a nice bitch more than a male. Males in this breed are champions, and my past was previously titles on both ends. He loves to lure course- but they can get hurt and he is not finished yet. Galina is a very nice bitch- but Zubin is more the showman and to die for in size and build. Its hard enough I cant show him in the ring- but to send him out.. I dont know- never did it before- actually I handled my own dogs before. Zubin needs a 5'9 or 5'10 AMAZON to move as fast as he does.. lol..

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Also Borzois do not do a seasonal shed. There isnt any undercoat to start with. In Virginia our Augusts are dreadful in heat temps- I usually take off from late july to the most of August.

applesmom
02-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Does that mean they shed steadily all year round and never blow their coats? A special would sure have an advantage over some of the other breeds during seasonal changes.

What about bitches after whelping? Their shedding doesn't increase then either?

Also Borzois do not do a seasonal shed. There isnt any undercoat to start with. In Virginia our Augusts are dreadful in heat temps- I usually take off from late july to the most of August.

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Does that mean they shed steadily all year round and never blow their coats? A special would sure have an advantage over some of the other breeds during seasonal changes.

What about bitches after whelping? Their shedding doesn't increase then either?
Borzois drop or it breaks their long outer coat. Even if you look at the hair in a vac you will really never see short hair. If you brush Femka, Zubin or Galina- you wont get but a brush load- for all 3! Hottie has a mature coat- even then- its like half a brush load. Thats also why the older borzois have coats down soooo far like Kalarney. http://www.geocities.com/irishbrookborzoi/
Borzois do show better as far as coat issues. .. I pity the collie people. I remember my collies- and I use to sit out on the deck with a green LAWN trash bag every spring.. The only thing that would hold me was I knew the others in the breed had the same problem of a "blown coat".

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 01:05 PM
The only time a borzoi loses their coat is puppy coat to adult.

applesmom
02-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Its hard enough I cant show him in the ring- but to send him out..

I know! :eek:

We let a very responsible friend who was in Junior Showmanship take Dusty on a show circuit. Even though she'd known Dusty since he was a puppy and her parents were with her, it was the longest week of my life. The parents fell in love with him, he had a blast, even slept in bed with them and we gained a dogsitter. :D

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 01:11 PM
I know! :eek:

We let a very responsible friend who was in Junior Showmanship take Dusty on a show circuit. Even though she'd known Dusty since he was a puppy and her parents were with her, it was the longest week of my life. The parents fell in love with him, he had a blast, even slept in bed with them and we gained a dogsitter. :D
Well both handlers I use are very well known. I wouldnt worry about his safety or anything, but its the fact or my boy being gone.

GreyhoundGirl
02-18-2007, 03:25 PM
ooooo Sundance is gorgeous!!! Imaine how many people would faint if you could provide a pic with sundance AND hottie... ooo I feel dizzy already... :D :p (need I ask for more? ;) )

I'm head-over-heels for that 'agouti' colouring.... that and fawn... lol..

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 05:33 PM
ooooo Sundance is gorgeous!!! Imaine how many people would faint if you could provide a pic with sundance AND hottie... ooo I feel dizzy already... :D :p (need I ask for more? ;) )

I'm head-over-heels for that 'agouti' colouring.... that and fawn... lol..
Its doubful they would ever meet- but possible. Sundance's family has moved to Pa. and we are attending shows there.. We shall see...

Kalei
02-18-2007, 05:51 PM
All I can say is WOW :eek: Borzoi's are so beautiful. So royal and elegant looking, yet tall and fun:) I want one someday when I have my own place...but I don't know if they are bred in Canada :confused:

EnchantedGypsy
02-19-2007, 05:42 AM
I *love* all the photos! Thanks so much for sharing all of them, as you know Borzoi are not too common on any message forum ;) I have drooled over the big male Zois at our local show for many years, but unfortunately have never paid much attention the the girls.... Which leads to me to a question: the standard states height for a female starts at 26"; are there really that many females in the lower size range or do most rival the 30+" male Zois in height?

Eventually, I'd love to have both a Borzoi AND a large male Silken Windhound (25"-28"). I'd intended to get the Silken first to train as my future mobility assistance dog, but after several disappointments with planned breedings which didn't happen I'm thinking of reversing the order I get the 2 dogs I want. The main thing is the size variance since I've already bought crates, beds, collars, ect all sized for a 25"-28" dog.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :D

P.S.-after setting up my little sighthound forum, all my settings and everything were deleted :mad:

borzoimom
02-19-2007, 06:31 AM
I *love* all the photos! Thanks so much for sharing all of them, as you know Borzoi are not too common on any message forum ;) I have drooled over the big male Zois at our local show for many years, but unfortunately have never paid much attention the the girls.... Which leads to me to a question: the standard states height for a female starts at 26"; are there really that many females in the lower size range or do most rival the 30+" male Zois in height?

Eventually, I'd love to have both a Borzoi AND a large male Silken Windhound (25"-28"). I'd intended to get the Silken first to train as my future mobility assistance dog, but after several disappointments with planned breedings which didn't happen I'm thinking of reversing the order I get the 2 dogs I want. The main thing is the size variance since I've already bought crates, beds, collars, ect all sized for a 25"-28" dog.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :D

P.S.-after setting up my little sighthound forum, all my settings and everything were deleted :mad:
That is an excellent question! They are in the process of changing the standard. Thei is happening for two reasons. Number one the breed is well over the size and has been for a long time. SEcond- you are right- and the silken windhound will soon be added need a firmer definition of size. The borzois being a type of wolfhound- height is expected. Most of the reasoning in the smaller height in standard comes from the most detailed records were European, and they are smaller in size in general. Also- Roman nose is no longer even remotely considered and now a "serious fault. "
The current size definiation by AKC reads- " Mature males should be at least 28 inches at the withers and mature bitches at least 26 inches at the withers. Dogs and bitches below these respective limits should be severely penalized; dogs and bitches above the respective limits should not be penalized as long as extra size is not acquired at the expense of symmetry, speed and staying quality. Range in weight for males from 75 to 105 pounds and for bitches from 15 to 20 pounds less. " All of which would be considered small- but not the weight- the weight is an indicator of a larger dog. While it does say the words " at LEAST 28 inches high.." it also states higher in the standard- males larger without coarseness...
The head standard is well off base- 'inclined to be Roman nose" is so far off base. And existed because of " barely a perceivable stop". That is another area expected to change. A Roman Nose dog would not have a snow balls chance of winning in the breed ring. On the next post I am posting the standard. Notice it was approved in 1972... About time for a upgrade on the definitions..

borzoimom
02-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Borzoi Breed Standard
Hound Group

General Appearance
The Borzoi was originally bred for the coursing of wild game on more or less open terrain, relying on sight rather than scent. To accomplish this purpose, the Borzoi needed particular structural qualities to chase, catch and hold his quarry. Special emphasis is placed on sound running gear, strong neck and jaws, courage and agility, combined with proper condition. The Borzoi should always possess unmistakable elegance, with flowing lines, graceful in motion or repose. Males, masculine without coarseness; bitches, feminine and refined.

Head
Skull slightly domed, long and narrow, with scarcely any perceptible stop, inclined to be Roman-nosed. Jaws long, powerful and deep, somewhat finer in bitches but not snipy. Teeth strong and clean with either an even or a scissors bite. Missing teeth should be penalized. Nose large and black.

Ears
Small and fine in quality, lying back on the neck when in repose with the tips when thrown back almost touching behind occiput; raised when at attention.

Eyes
Set somewhat obliquely, dark in color, intelligent but rather soft in expression; never round, full nor staring, nor light in color; eye rims dark; inner corner midway between tip of nose and occiput.

Neck
Clean, free from throatiness; slightly arched, very powerful and well set on.

Shoulders
Sloping, fine at the withers and free from coarseness or lumber.

Chest
Rather narrow, with great depth of brisket.

Ribs
Only slightly sprung, but very deep giving room for heart and lung play.

Back
Rising a little at the loins in a graceful curve.

Loins
Extremely muscular, but rather tucked up, owing to the great depth of chest and comparative shortness of back and ribs.

Forelegs
Bones straight and somewhat flattened like blades, with the narrower edge forward. The elbows have free play and are turned neither in nor out. Pasterns strong.

Feet
Hare-shaped, with well-arched knuckles, toes close and well padded.

Hindquarters
Long, very muscular and powerful with well bent stifles; somewhat wider than the forequarters; strong first and second thighs; hocks clean and well let down; legs parallel when viewed from the rear.

Dewclaws
Dewclaws, if any, on the hind legs are generally removed; dewclaws on the forelegs may be removed.

Tail
Long, set on and carried low in a graceful curve.

Coat
Long, silky (not woolly), either flat, wavy or rather curly. On the head, ears and front of legs it should be short and smooth; on the neck the frill should be profuse and rather curly. Feather on hindquarters and tail, long and profuse, less so on chest and back of forelegs.

Color
Any color, or combination of colors, is acceptable.

Size
Mature males should be at least 28 inches at the withers and mature bitches at least 26 inches at the withers. Dogs and bitches below these respective limits should be severely penalized; dogs and bitches above the respective limits should not be penalized as long as extra size is not acquired at the expense of symmetry, speed and staying quality. Range in weight for males from 75 to 105 pounds and for bitches from 15 to 20 pounds less.

Gait
Front legs must reach well out in front with pasterns strong and springy. Hackneyed motion with mincing gait is not desired nor is weaving and crossing. However, while the hind legs are wider apart than the front, the feet tend to move closer to the center line when the dog moves at a fast trot. When viewed from the side there should be a noticeable drive with a ground-covering stride from well-angulated stifles and hocks. The over-all appearance in motion should be that of effortless power, endurance, speed, agility, smoothness and grace.

Faults
The foregoing description is that of the ideal Borzoi. Any deviation from the above described dog must be penalized to the extent of the deviation keeping in mind the importance of the contribution of the various features toward the basic original purpose of the breed.

Approved June 13, 1972

cassiesmom
02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
This is Zubin and Galina's father. I copied it from the very beginning of the thread. He looks happy to me, maybe it is because he knew that he won! Borzoimom, how ever did I miss this thread? This is like your dogs' family album and it is extremely interesting! I'll admit I need to read the texts again and look at the photos more closely. But I don't know anything about dog shows, ribbons, rosettes etc. so it's all new to me.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=34113

cassiesmom
02-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Okay everyone, I copied this from a message. I thought I'd put the question and answer here, in case anyone else also had the question... The commentator who called the Borzoi an aristocrat was the Westminster Kennel Club television host.

My question to Borzoimom
Okay Borzoimom - I have another question for you. On the AKC Web site it says any color or combination of colors is acceptable. Your beautiful ones are all different colors but they all have white. Does every Borzoi have different colors with a basically white or light coat? The Borzoi that won best of breed had white with brown but darker than Hottie's brown, right? They are so gorgeous, I hope I get to have one some day. The commentator used the word Aristocrat and I thought that was a perfect image. Just breathtaking.

Borzoimom's Answer:
Any color is accepted- but the whites with color is the more popular of the colors. Also- I have noticed the "self colors" ( that means all or most of the dog is mostly black with some other colors- like a little white, or brown- but not marked as a tri color- ie like Femka is a tri color.) are usually less in bone- and most of the time shorter than the " white type " borzois.
Also- there is a term of agouti- which means the dog is like Hottie- white with brown, but then on the tips of the coat in areas, it has black. Agouti can also be a darker red or brown. Hottie has black tipping on the edge of his coat hairs around his head and some on the side spots.

borzoimom
02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
This litter with Galina "should" produce half white with brown agouti- like hottie, and half white with black with brown tipping ( like Galina and Zubin". We are Highly excited about it.. Its also my very first Borzoi litter and I can barely contain myself as I wait ...