PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant women conserve your brain power

sparks19
02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
LOL I read in my mom-to-be magazine that typically during pregnancy a woman's brain will shrink up to 8% It takes about 6 months postnatal for it to return to normal. No wonder I feel so dense lately.

let the woman with small brains jokes begin

caseysmom
02-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Did it say why? That is pretty interesting. Don't worry when your baby is a teen you will have no brains at all!

sparks19
02-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Did it say why? That is pretty interesting. Don't worry when your baby is a teen you will have no brains at all!

LOL I guess it's just training for how you will feel when the teen years come LOL. I will get the mag and see if it says why. if it doesn't I'm gonna look it up.

HMMMM I can't find anything that says WHY this happens. I will have to keep looking.

prechrswife
02-16-2007, 08:50 PM
I don't get it either, but I am having far more "spacey" moments than I usually do... People tell me that it's normal. :rolleyes:

Sirrahsim
02-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I've always just heard it refered to as "preggo brain" I didn't know that there was actually a physical response by the brain to pregnancy :eek: :eek:

Twisterdog
02-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I am quite sure my brain never returned to its normal size after the birth of my son. And, I'm also quite sure that for every year of the teenage years, I must lose at least another 8% or so. By the time he is grown, I should be just about catatonic.

Cataholic
02-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Very funny, Twisterdog.

I think it is cause our 'primal' instincts take over, and you don't need a brain to think logically so much!

I did find, and still do find, that I have absolutely no memory. Prolly good that way, I can forget any stupid thing I did and save the embarrassment.

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 08:31 AM
I didnt know there was a literal physical change- but I do remember a stimulation change. How many stories have you heard of mothers at the early ages of infant care that start using baby words etc.. lol.
I do remember that the doctor telling me to increase water when nursing, and considering the brain is mostly water... hmmm..