PDA

View Full Version : what kind of books do like to read?

Zippy
02-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I read mostly animal books and magazines and my Bible.I also read christian books sometimes.Romance/fantasy/mystery too but not very much. :D How about you?
I thought this would go great with the t.v.topic.

Sophist
02-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I am always trying to read my way through the classics. You can't go wrong with folks like Faulkner and Austen and such.

I also love to read plays. Shakespeare, Miller, Pinter, Stoppard and Marlowe are some of my favorites.

And short story/essay collections are always great for when you aren't going to be able to sit and read on a book for hours at a time (which is how I like to read plays and novels, in as few sittings as possible). Some of my favorite people to read short stories and essays by are David Sedaris, Chuck Palahniuk, Dorothy Parker, Kafka, Hemingway, Poe, and lots of others.

While I have never liked Stephen Crane's novels very well, I absolutely love his poetry and short stories.

Oh, I forgot Khalil Gibran!

Roald Dahl's kids and young adult stuff is always fun, but some of his short stories and collections intended for adults would really surprise and entertain you.

I'm not a fan of Sci fi books, but I love sci fi short story collections.

lol... I could talk about books for days and days. I'll shut up for a while and give someone else a chance.

JenBKR
02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I love to read just about anything, but my favorites are mystery/thrillers. I also like autobiographies by people who have had some type of mental illness, those are fascinating.

critters
02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Harry Potter :D :D

Vette
02-15-2007, 03:58 PM
When i was younger i used to read a LOT of R.L Stine an few Christopher Pike books. so guess i prefer horror/thriller stuff
however i havent picked up a book in such a long long long time...

now i read fanfics instead,, an they all seem to be pretty much on the romantic side with angst thrown in here an there..
its fun to read stuff wrote by people my own age or younger writing about a couple that i love a great deal.

i only hope that i can get back into reading books once LOST ends... ive gotten so spoiled with awesome fanfics out on the web :o

JenBKR
02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
When i was younger i used to read a LOT of R.L Stine an few Christopher Pike books. so guess i prefer horror/thriller stuff

Oh how I used to LOVE those books! Fear Street were my favorites - I might have to dig a few out if I still have them and read one for old times' sake ;)

critter crazy
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
I love Horror/mystery/romance books

My favorite authors are:
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Nora Roberts
V.C. Andrews

smokey the elder
02-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Historical fantasy, alternate history, epic fantasy, cat-themed mysteries!

KitCat
02-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Sci Fi is my favorite!

Miss Z
02-15-2007, 04:50 PM
At the moment I've got into reading a lot of poetry, such as Tennyson, Keats, Wordsworth and Coleridge. I don't think you can beat a really good poem that can make you speculate as to its true meaning.

As far as books go, I'll read anything that looks good from the blurb. I like stories that involve animals (of course) and also those that are about the ancient civilisations, such as the Greeks and Romans. :)

dogzr#1
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I like books that involve deadly diseases or an epidemic of a rare disease or something. My favorite author is Richard Preston as he writes a lot of these kinds of books. I recently read Cobra Event which was AWEsome and now I am reading Demon in the Freezer which has to do with smallpox and so far it is really good too.

I also like books that have to do with murder or the sort and also things that have something to do with medical stuffs. I am a big fan of CSI so stuff relating to that is what I like.

GreyhoundGirl
02-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Dogs and random fiction things. :p

Felix
02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Im into mystery,crime,true story type of books. :)

Freedom
02-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Murder mysteries, but I am particular. I want the ones with a puzzle to solve. "Columbo" is fun to watch on TV, but I don't enjoy reading a book about how the detective gets to the solution, which I the reader had on page 2. And forget all the blood, guts and gore. I like the Jane Marple type, lots of dead bodies around, and a good mystery. There are plenty out there like that. I get tiked off if, in the last 20 pages, the detective takes a phone call, says "um-hum," and then KNOWS the answer. Hey, give ME that clue too!!!! :D

xcolbi
02-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I like fantasy books, books about animals. Like novels, not really non-fiction. I also like mystery books, like CSI books:p. Right now I'm reading the Bible. I just finished a couple books about dogs and foxes. I also like the Chicken Soup for the Soul books.