PDA

View Full Version : My New Van Is Stuck In The Driveway! 2 pics-update

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 02:32 PM
DAG-NAB-IT!!! My husband came home early- then took the van to the store verses his truck- coming trying to back in- my BRAND NEW VAN ( sniff sniff pout pout..) got STUCK on the ice! NOW WHAT? I said- now what?? well lets see- its a almost 7000 pound van- blocking us in- in the driveway.. Just peachy... JUST PEACHY!!!!

TFTpwnsYou
02-15-2007, 02:42 PM
LOL! Now the weather needs to warm up. Don't feel bad I'm snowed in too. :)

GreyhoundGirl
02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Haha... you should install a chairlift :p :D

Half the doors here wont open. :p

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Haha... you should install a chairlift :p :D

Half the doors here wont open. :p
He had to take the new van.. had to take it.. uh huh.. His truck has 4 wd- the van doesnt- and with that long wheel base.. on this ice- I hate to say " I told you so honey" - but the temptation is killing me! ( man from minnesota- ohhhh no its hard ice but not for a 7000 pound van.. uh huh... )

cassiesmom
02-15-2007, 02:49 PM
:(

You might try pouring clay cat box filler under the tires - maybe that will give it some "grip" and get it unstuck. (Is unstuck a word?)

GreyhoundGirl
02-15-2007, 02:50 PM
He had to take the new van.. had to take it.. uh huh.. His truck has 4 wd- the van doesnt- and with that long wheel base.. on this ice- I hate to say " I told you so honey" - but the temptation is killing me! ( man from minnesota- ohhhh no its hard ice but not for a 7000 pound van.. uh huh... )

ooohhh say it say it say it!!!! :D

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
:(

You might try pouring clay cat box filler under the tires - maybe that will give it some "grip" and get it unstuck. (Is unstuck a word?)
I dont have any kitty litter, but I do have ashes from the woodstove. We are going to try that.. But its pretty stuck- and too heavy to have his truck pull it out either.. ( mutter mutter- had to take the new van- just had to take it... mutter mutter- kicking ice balls- had to take it.. He just tossed some of that calcium stuff on it- but he said no popping- usually it pops when you put it down- so it must be too cold to work..

Donnaj4962
02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
OH NO!!!! :eek: Men! Wadda ya gunna do wit em????

Sounds typical! He HAD to take the newer car! ;)

Hope you get "unstuck" soon!

***We only got 8 inches of snow here, but the blowing made drifts up to 5 foot in some areas! I was literally snowed in yesterday. The blowing snow had created a drift so large that I couldn't open my front screen door. When I tried to get out the back door, I could open the sliding glass door, but the sliding screen door had too much snow in the track, and wouldn't budge. I finally was rescued mid-afternoon! And then the snow plow came through this morning before I left for work, and plowed in my car! :eek: I just can't win!

I made it to work today, and hope to take some pictures tonight before it gets too dark. I will try to post them tomorrow!

catlover4ever
02-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh man.....I feel for you.....that was my story for being 2 hours late to work this AM.....my hubbies Sunfire stuck in our driveway. It took 2 hours to try to free it from the snow/ice bank it was stuck in.....then it was time to try to get my car up the driveway....

I so feel for you. :(

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 03:16 PM
This ice is so bad and its only 6 degrees now with wind- We are going to try again after I feed the dogs- but it doesnt look good.. OHHHHHHHHH MY BEAUTIFUL VAN... kicking ice clods-... jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez... ( man i want to say it... ) I even have now personalized plates.. poooooooooooooor van..! ( mutter mutter..)

GreyhoundGirl
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
:eek: Is that the 4 borzoi size!!! :eek:

critter crazy
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
hmmmm...kind of like this michelle????

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/critters/100_6017.jpg

I dont care about the stupid plow truck, but it is blocking my darn Driveway!!

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 03:36 PM
:eek: It's that the 4 borzoi size!!! :eek:
6 actually lol...

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 03:37 PM
hmmmm...kind of like this michelle????

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/critters/100_6017.jpg

I dont care about the stupid plow truck, but it is blocking my darn Driveway!!
ROFLMBO!!! I mean his truck would have been fine- or pulling in but backing in.. I am realllllllllly steamed!

pitc9
02-15-2007, 03:56 PM
If his truck has 4 wheel drive, why dont' you use that to pull it out?

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
If his truck has 4 wheel drive, why dont' you use that to pull it out?
Its behind it and no where to go- also the edge of the driveway on that side is a gulch that is iced in- I do not even see how he can get by me in the morning..
We put on calcium something or other, woodstove ashes, - going to let it sit- but I doubt its going to move- but then newspaper- and- MY VAN IS DIRTY WITH ROCK SALT.. ( mutter mutter...)

pitc9
02-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Its behind it and no where to go- also the edge of the driveway on that side is a gulch that is iced in- I do not even see how he can get by me in the morning..
We put on calcium something or other, woodstove ashes, - going to let it sit- but I doubt its going to move- but then newspaper- and- MY VAN IS DIRTY WITH ROCK SALT.. ( mutter mutter...)

By the looks of the picture, the truck is between the van and the house... right? Then I'd hook the truck to the back of the van and pull towards the house just enough to get it back on the driveway.

(My hubby gets my blazer stuck all the time, I'm a pro at this by now!! :D )

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
By the looks of the picture, the truck is between the van and the house... right? Then I'd hook the truck to the back of the van and pull towards the house just enough to get it back on the driveway.

(My hubby gets my blazer stuck all the time, I'm a pro at this by now!! :D )
Wait a minute- now what??? ( I want my van out!)...

applesmom
02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
That reminds me of the day my husband called me a told me some idiot had slammed into him and asked me to come and get him. After asking if he was okay, I asked how bad his truck was damaged. There was a very long silence and then he said, "I wasn't driving my truck; your car is totaled!" :eek:

Be thankful yours is just temporarily stuck! :D

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 05:12 PM
That reminds me of the day my husband called me a told me some idiot had slammed into him and asked me to come and get him. After asking if he was okay, I asked how bad his truck was damaged. There was a very long silence and then he said, "I wasn't driving my truck; your car is totaled!" :eek:

Be thankful yours is just temporarily stuck! :D
OHHHHHHHHHHHH NO!!! In that case I am thanking my lucky stars!!!

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Now- it is soooooooooooo stuck-- nothing short of a major tow truck is going to move my van... So much for tomorrows activities.. pout pout...

Lady's Human
02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
1) take 2 2x6 boards, wedge them under the tires of the van

2) Straighten out the wheels on the van

3) place van in reverse and GENTLY press the accellerator (once the tires are spinning you've lost traction and it won't work)

4) repeat until van is un-stuck

OR

pull the truck around the van (4x4 low works wonders) and use a tow strap to "Pop" the van out. You just need enough traction assist from the truck to start the van moving. The weight of the van doesn't really matter, I've used my truck to un-stick a 20,000 lb dump truck. It's all in how you apply the assistance.

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 06:42 PM
1) take 2 2x6 boards, wedge them under the tires of the van

2) Straighten out the wheels on the van

3) place van in reverse and GENTLY press the accellerator (once the tires are spinning you've lost traction and it won't work)

4) repeat until van is un-stuck

OR

pull the truck around the van (4x4 low works wonders) and use a tow strap to "Pop" the van out. You just need enough traction assist from the truck to start the van moving. The weight of the van doesn't really matter, I've used my truck to un-stick a 20,000 lb dump truck. It's all in how you apply the assistance.
The position the van is in now we cant get his truck around the van- but we will try the boards tomorrow- thank you so much!! Stupid ice- this huge van barely left tire marks in it! Tonight is done- its pitch black and I dont want to meet a bear. Now its cocked sideways in the driveway.. I am so mad- ...

Lady's Human
02-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Another assist would be to put some weight in the back of the van to the rear of the rear axle.

(Have your husband sit on the rear bumper while you're trying to move it...... :p . The slush flying from the wheels should remind him not to get it stuck again!)

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Another assist would be to put some weight in the back of the van to the rear of the rear axle.

We put 400 pounds of corn and rye over the tires. I am going to try your suggestion on the boards- wish I had thought of that earlier in the evening- We have a tow package on the vehicle but no hitch to move it from the back. Now it is sitting barely 3 inches from that grove of trees... Front end out but rear shoved near that grove of trees..

Lady's Human
02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
If you have a tow strap hook it to the rear axle of the van (AWAY from the brake lines, wrap it around the differential; housing)

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 07:14 PM
If you have a tow strap hook it to the rear axle of the van (AWAY from the brake lines, wrap it around the differential; housing)
Okay we have one of those- .. next thing we put is the hitch on this thing... and remove the keys from hubbys lol....

cmayer31
02-15-2007, 08:24 PM
If it were me I'd shovel out under the rear bumper and get the area behind the truck as level as possible. Take a jack and set it on a flat piece of wood or something to give it some "float" in the snow and attempt to raise the left side high enough to get some decent planks of wood, or anything that will fill the hole and provide more traction than the snow. Also let air out of the back left tire to cause it to squish a little and have a better "footprint". Straighten the wheels and come straight back.

One thing to remember about putting things under a tire for better traction, if the tires do spin they will try to shoot stuff forward if you're in reverse, so keep the drivers side door closed and don't let anyone stand around that area while trying to get it out. If you think going foward is a better option than that may work too, or rocking back and forth to try and get out of the hole that he dug.

It looks like he slid to the far side of the driveway backing in and once he was stuck he tried to pull forward to the right causing it to dig in more. In snow once the tire starts spinning you're done and might as well reposition and try to get some traction.

Good luck!

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Let air out of back tires- got it- ... they are pretty tight as its brand new and the rubber pimples are still on the tire... It only has 500 miles on it..

cmayer31
02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I should have said some air! I'm assuming they are between 35-40 psi, so maybe down to 25-28 psi at first. Don't let too much because once you get down in the teens it might actually pop the bead and the tire will come off the wheel. :eek:

Also, if you have old rugs, or carpet, or really just about anything you can give those a try too. Also, don't just focus on where the tire is now, but where its going to be. This is true for all four tires. You really don't want the front left going into the hole that the back left dug, and the more you can clear behind the other tires, maybe with the crystals, the better of you'll be once moving.

mike001
02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
My gosh Borzoid, there's hardly no snow out there. I wish you lived where I am. When we get stuck we shovel all the tires out, then put lots of sand under the tires and we shovel tracks to follow and put lots of sand there too. You're pointing forwards, so it should be easy to drive out....it's a front wheel drive right? You do keep large bags of salted sand in the truck for snow time??? You get in and drive, have hubby push. But nice and easy, you do not want to spin those wheels. Weight in the back is a good idea too. If we could all get to you, we could all push you out. Hoping you'll get it out by tomorrow. Your driveway looks just like the driveway at our cottage. :D

cmayer31
02-15-2007, 09:04 PM
To the best of my knowledge fullsize vans are either RWD, or AWD.

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 09:32 PM
My gosh Borzoid, there's hardly no snow out there. I wish you lived where I am. When we get stuck we shovel all the tires out, then put lots of sand under the tires and we shovel tracks to follow and put lots of sand there too. You're pointing forwards, so it should be easy to drive out....it's a front wheel drive right? You do keep large bags of salted sand in the truck for snow time??? You get in and drive, have hubby push. But nice and easy, you do not want to spin those wheels. Weight in the back is a good idea too. If we could all get to you, we could all push you out. Hoping you'll get it out by tomorrow. Your driveway looks just like the driveway at our cottage. :D
Its rear drive- and the slip differential ( sp_) is making the rear slip.. If we dont get out of this ditch.. I am going to commit harry- carry... lol we have 400 pounds over the rear wheels.. Man - next year snow tires on my van.. No way will my husband get out in the morning- and now we wait for aaa...

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 10:21 PM
OKAY THAT DOES IT- THIS IRISH/FRENCH SOUTHERNER IS MAD- ITS REALLY STUCK... Man- we need temps above like 20.. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... ITS ROYALLY stuck! He is blocked in too.. uh huh! :(

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Still stuck with AAA on the way sometime today. With all the ice and calls " it may take a several hours"..
Well- I guess you guys are stuck with me for another day... pout.. pout..

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Finally- at 20F we finally get the van out- but it was touch and go.. lol. And the picture is the final result... lol.. View My Video (http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4i3eqoo) and part two View My Video (http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2wf01mh)

TFTpwnsYou
02-17-2007, 09:43 AM
LOL! After a few tries! Well at least it's free. And it didn't even have to get above freezing!...yay! And now we know not to take a van out in the snow...lol.

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Yea more snow is coming again tonight. The ice is still so hard we can still walk on top of it.. I am glad he finally gave up. ... We have to put his truck in 4wd to get it out. You would think its easy since it looks flat- but thats drifting snow covered in a inch of ice.
This spring we will regrade the driveway. As you know, its really not bad but it wont work with the van. We both didn't want a 4wd drive because of the reduced gas mileage, and the van really doesnt have to leave. Also the price for a 4wd new one was like 10 grand more. Only damage is a bent antenea from when that ice chunk blew off a truck in town last weekend. ( don't worry 'tanker' ( the van), Mom will fix your antenea... lol)

DrKym
02-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Darrell may want to attach a snow plow to the front of his truck for next year??, since his 4wd he can keep the drive clear for ya. :p

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Darrell may want to attach a snow plow to the front of his truck for next year??, since his 4wd he can keep the drive clear for ya. :p
AMEN! His eyes lit up with that idea.. ( men and their tools.. lol.. )

Lady's Human
02-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Get a 4-wheeler with a plow.

More fun, and it doesn't abuse the truck's frame and suspension.

A plow on a truck REALLY beats the crap out of the truck. Even when the plow isn't mounted the extra weight of the plow frame attachments are bad for the suspension.

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 10:20 AM

A plow on a truck REALLY beats the crap out of the truck. Even when the plow isn't mounted the extra weight of the plow frame attachments are bad for the suspension.
Good idea- we were talking about getting a multi purpose plow etc because of other jobs up here- like moving stone, river rock etc..

DrKym
02-17-2007, 10:20 AM

Which LH is better than Michelle beating Darrel with the plow! ;)

I agree though my son in law has attachment thing on his Jeep and it really does take a beating from it but it makes him good side money! :p

borzoimom
02-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Which LH is better than Michelle beating Darrel with the plow! ;)

I agree though my son in law has attachment thing on his Jeep and it really does take a beating from it but it makes him good side money! :p
Nah- he is too good a man unlike uh the uh other one we knew.. lol..
He is a KEEPER!