PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan and Great Value brand Peanut Butter and SALMONELLA!!!

kimlovescats
02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Jars of Peter Pan PB with the code on the lid starting with 2111 have been spreading Salmonella! We had a jar of this ourselves 3/4 already eaten!!! :eek: Thank GOD we didn't get sick!!! My ex-husband had 3 jars with the same code! I'm not sure how far across the country this particular code has been distributed, but please check your pantries!!!

gemini9961
02-15-2007, 01:44 PM
I had the Great Value PB with the code on it. I'm going to send back my lids for a refund. :)

kimlovescats
02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
I had the Great Value PB with the code on it. I'm going to send back my lids for a refund. :)

OH MY GOSH! I have a jar of that too .... Sam's / Wal-Mart brand Great Value! Same code! Apparently made by same company, just labeled differently! THANK YOU for telling us this. I have to throw this one out too! Gosh, I think I will stay away from PB for a while. Is ANYTHING we buy safe anymore? :(

I_luv_rusty
02-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Omg... I eat PB everyday! What brands does this effect? We have Skippy.

Logan
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Jiffy is not included in the recall.

kimlovescats
02-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Here is what is posted on our local News website ... I had BOTH of these brands with the code and we had eaten out of BOTH jars! :eek:

ATLANTA (AP) -- A salmonella outbreak has prompted a recall of peanut butter.

The Food and Drug Administration said the outbreak began last summer and was just recently traced to peanut butter made at a single ConAgra plant in Sylvester, Ga.

The spread being recalled was sold under the Peter Pan and Great Value brands. The only jars affected have a product code beginning with the number "2111" on the lid.

It's believed to be the first salmonella outbreak associated with peanut butter in U.S. history.

Federal health officials said, since August, the outbreak has grown slowly to nearly 300 cases in 39 states. About 20 percent of those infected had to be hospitalized. All survived.

The largest number of cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri.

Authorities still don't know how the salmonella got into the peanut butter.

The FDA said that Great Value peanut butter made by other

prechrswife
02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks for posting that. We had a jar that falls into the recall, too. Thankfully, we also have a jar of Jif, so we're not "peanut-butter-less." Headed to throw the Peter Pan jar away...

GreyhoundGirl
02-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Ours is really old because it's a 5 KG box... It doesn't have that code either... so it's probably fine <phew>

prechrswife
02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Lovely...that plant is very close to here...

sirrahbed
02-15-2007, 03:18 PM
I am so glad you posted this. I heard it on the news but since I don't buy many name brands, I did not think much of it. But, I looked in my cupboard when I got Kim's email and sure enough, I did have a HUGE jar of Great Value that I bought at WalMart. It has the 2111 code on top and it is over half eaten :eek: I fix it often for Misha when she is here so have emailed my kids.

I appreciate the warning!! I get some of my best info from here on PT :D

from ConAgra website (http://investor.conagrafoods.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=97518&p=irol-newsArticlecon&ID=963451&highlight=)
If consumers have this product, they should discard it, but save the product lid. For a full refund, consumers must return the Peter Pan Peanut Butter or Great Value Peanut Butter product lid along with their name and mailing address to ConAgra Foods, P.O. Box 3768, Omaha, NE 68103

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Some good comes of the fact I have never eaten peanut butter!

Kfamr
02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
What's next? :rolleyes: :(

We have 1 half eaten jar and 3 unopened jars of Peter Pan in our cupboard/ The only persons in this house who have eaten it is my dad and the dogs. I rarely/never eat peanut butter. No one's gotten sick though, thankfully!

angelbow20
02-15-2007, 06:34 PM
I found a recall one. Thank god I did because my 3 yr old eats peanut butter everyday!!!!!

Chilli
02-15-2007, 06:35 PM
My dad called me before school this morning to tell me to check our Peanut Butter. We have Jiff, so I'm sure we're good. =]

Though a friend of mine had the Peter Pan kind, with the number on it. She said she hadn't ate any of it, but her dad had. I'm just glad no one I know has gotten sick from it!

With this little outbreak, and the ecoli(or was it salmonella?) outbreak with the lettuce and stuff awhile back, it almost makes you afraid to buy from the market!

kimlovescats
02-15-2007, 09:09 PM
I am so glad you posted this. I heard it on the news but since I don't buy many name brands, I did not think much of it. But, I looked in my cupboard when I got Kim's email and sure enough, I did have a HUGE jar of Great Value that I bought at WalMart. It has the 2111 code on top and it is over half eaten :eek: I fix it often for Misha when she is here so have emailed my kids.

I appreciate the warning!! I get some of my best info from here on PT :D

from ConAgra website (http://investor.conagrafoods.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=97518&p=irol-newsArticlecon&ID=963451&highlight=)
If consumers have this product, they should discard it, but save the product lid. For a full refund, consumers must return the Peter Pan Peanut Butter or Great Value Peanut Butter product lid along with their name and mailing address to ConAgra Foods, P.O. Box 3768, Omaha, NE 68103

Thank you for the address, Deb! I did save just my lids! ;)

chocolatepuppy
02-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh no, we have 2 jars with that number! One more than half eaten, hubby ate it. Thanks for the info.

krazyaboutkatz
02-16-2007, 12:36 AM
I hadn't heard about this until I saw the thread about Tia getting food poisoning from it.:( Luckily I always buy Jif so I'm safe.:)

critter crazy
02-16-2007, 06:09 AM
Ackkkkk!!!!! WTH!! I Just started a Peanut Butter eating frenzy over the last two weeks, having it on toast every morning!!! And my two Jars have the recall code too!!! Just when I start eating peanut butter this happens! thankfully no one else in the house eats it!! Same thing happened with the darn Spinache!! :eek: I am so getting my money back!

lizbud
02-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I buy Kroger brand peanut butter & checked the code last night. It does
not match the recalled code, so I guess it's ok. This code is the numbers on
the lid, right?

critter crazy
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I buy Kroger brand peanut butter & checked the code last night. It does
not match the recalled code, so I guess it's ok. This code is the numbers on
the lid, right?
yeah the numbers on the lid. I think they said only Peter Pan and Great value were affected.

JenBKR
02-16-2007, 12:43 PM
This is what made Tia so sick too:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=122138

Be very careful with this, she was extremely sick. Throw the stuff out!

Logan
02-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Both of the jars we had, Peter Pan Reduced Fat Crunchy and Creamy, had that code. The creamy one hadn't even been opened, but I threw it out, anyway. I threw both out, actually. Darn it. What a waste of peanut butter, but I'm not willing to risk it at this point.

critter crazy
02-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Both of the jars we had, Peter Pan Reduced Fat Crunchy and Creamy, had that code. The creamy one hadn't even been opened, but I threw it out, anyway. I threw both out, actually. Darn it. What a waste of peanut butter, but I'm not willing to risk it at this point.
I know!! both my jars had the code, so in the trash they went! only one had been opened , with only a 1/3 missing! so Dissapointed!! i am realy having a peanutbutter craving too!! Darn it all!

king2005
02-16-2007, 01:31 PM
dang... Luckly I don't really eat PB, not in the usa, & I never set ill from Salmonella anymore. Built up a lovely resistance from it... Took many years of being sick & getting nasty infections... Darn Turtle lol

sandragonfly
02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
glad this is posted!! I was going to threadize this but did a search first.

our school, with largest population and peanut butter population -- we got email alert about this too -- I LOVE peanut butters!! :( :( I guess I'm going back to crunchy skippy.. adams peanut butter isn't too bad either.

too bad!! scary..what's next? .. :confused: I wonder if this will hurt dogs? there's good site about it - www.cdc.gov, don't see anything about animals yet.

areias
02-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Time to start growing our own stuff in our backyards, I say! This is getting ridiculous. Thankfully we buy Jif. :) Never cared for Peter Pan.

lizbud
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM

our school, with largest population and peanut butter population -- we got email alert about this too -- I LOVE peanut butters!! :( :( I guess I'm going back to crunchy skippy.. adams peanut butter isn't too bad either.

too bad!! scary..what's next? .. :confused: I wonder if this will hurt dogs? there's good site about it - www.cdc.gov, don't see anything about animals yet.

I would never fed anything with Salmonella to animals either. Of course,
they could get sick.

buttercup132
02-16-2007, 05:33 PM

too bad!! scary..what's next? .. :confused: I wonder if this will hurt dogs? there's good site about it - www.cdc.gov (http://www.cdc.gov/), don't see anything about animals yet.Dogs aren't affected by it that's why they can eat raw diets without getting salmonella.
I don't live in the USA so we don't have these brands thank goodness.

lizbud
02-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Dogs aren't affected by it that's why they can eat raw diets without getting salmonella.
I don't live in the USA so we don't have these brands thank goodness.

Yeah, you're right buttercup, I just checked and only the very young pups
or dogs with compromized immune systems are at risk with it. But still, if I
wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't feed it to my pups either. That's just me. :)

Logan
02-16-2007, 07:55 PM
From what I understand, it was the peanuts, not the particular brand, that caused the problem. After 300 reported cases of salmonella, the Peter Pan brand and the other brand (whose name I forget), were isolated, but I'm pretty sure that everything I read was about the peanuts, not their processing.

jazzcat
02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
My Dad had a jar of it. With his not so great health and being 84 years old it could have been bad for him. Thank goodness it's gone now - he already has his refund from the store.

Since we've been eating healthier I stopped eating peanut butter and Richard is into the organic and fresh ground stuff.

prechrswife
02-16-2007, 08:49 PM
From what I understand, it was the peanuts, not the particular brand, that caused the problem. After 300 reported cases of salmonella, the Peter Pan brand and the other brand (whose name I forget), were isolated, but I'm pretty sure that everything I read was about the peanuts, not their processing.

This is a fairly local news story for us (the plant is a couple of counties over), and it was said last night on the news that this is a very clean and well-run plant. They had shut down until they can get to the bottom of this, though. I haven't seen the news today, though.

sweetpatata6
02-16-2007, 09:12 PM
We had 3 jars too... And one was half eaten... HOPE NO ONE GETS SICK!!!!

moosmom
02-19-2007, 10:09 AM
That's why I buy only Skippy. ;)

sandragonfly
02-19-2007, 10:19 AM
thank you buttercup - three of my friends alerted me that seven dogs got sick from peanut butter but didn't say salmonella though - although I trust raw diet feeding - no problem so far - I just wanted to make sure! crayola loves peanut butter frosty paws. :)

Donnaj4962
02-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I found a Sam's Value pnut butter in my cabinet with the infamous 2111 code on the lid! I will be taking it back to my local walmart for a refund.

I saw on the news tonight that one of our local newscasters has been sick for a few weeks with severe salmonella poisoning from eating tainted pnut butter! She had gone to the ER (I think they said) 3 times and had been dismissed with the flu, as the flu has been terrible around here! Now they have diagnosed salmonella poisoning. The newscasters tonight said she has been very ill! Poor thing!

By the way, I had used that particular pnut butter to make Christmas cookies with Hershey's kisses on them! No one that I gave them to complained of getting sick, fortunately!