PDA

View Full Version : Wild Kitty Cat Food Warning!

Donnaj4962
02-15-2007, 01:04 PM
I just saw this online... thought I would pass it along in case anyone on PT uses this. I hope and pray that anyone buying this brand of food sees this and stops using it immediately!

WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration Tuesday warned pet owners not to buy Wild Kitty cat food, a frozen raw product, because salmonella has been detected in some batches of it.

Cats could become infected with salmonella if they eat contaminated food. Humans can also become infected by handling the cat food or touching animals that consumed it, the FDA said.

The FDA said it discovered salmonella contamination during a routine analysis of the company’s cat food. The agency urged consumers to stop buying Wild Kitty chicken with clam food and to dispose of any containers they may already have.

Wild Kitty Cat Food is made by a small company in Kennebunkport, Maine and sold at pet stores in more than a dozen U.S. states. It advertises itself as a raw food that does not include any artificial flavorings or preservatives and is sold in frozen, single-serving and 1 pound containers.

Salmonella can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and serious illness in small children, frail or elderly people, and people with chronic diseases.

Wild Kitty also makes cat food in three other flavors.

kimlovescats
02-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't think that brand is sold around here ... but thanks for the info!

catlover4ever
02-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I saw something on the news ticker on Tuesday night and have been waiting for the news to report on this but they have not.

Thanks for sharing the info. I have never seen that brand of food around here but the info is good to know.

catmandu
02-15-2007, 05:00 PM
That Hasnt Come Up To Canada As Yet.
We Certainly Thank You For The Heads Up.
The Found Cats Always Like To Know These Things.
And So Does Our Dad.

phesina
02-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I got free samples of 3 or 4 flavors of Wild Kitty Cat Food a few months ago at a "Customer Appreciation Day" sale at Specialty Pet Supplies in Plymouth, MI. I don't remember if the chicken with clam was one of the flavors I got.

This stuff did not go over AT ALL with my cats. A couple of them ate a couple of bites of one or two flavors. For the most part, though, they took one sniff and walked away. I don't think anybody got salmonella from it (not that I know what the symptoms of salmonella in cats are).

Pat