PDA

View Full Version : How did/do/will you set your wedding date?

M&M's Mommy
02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
My hubby and I got married on Dec 29th, 2001. We chose that day for so many reasons:

1. It's the Feast of the Holy Family, after whom we would like to model our family.
2. For the joyful, peaceful, happy feelings that filled the air at Christmas time
3. We got married in a Catholic church, where it would be decorated extraordinarily beautiful at Chirstmas time!
4. Both my company & hubby's company close their business during Chirstmas week --> We could definitely take advantage of the extra vacation days for our future anniversaries :)
5. Our future kids would have days off from school anyway --> they don't have to miss school should we ever wanted to take a family vacation at our future anniversaries :)
6. We have lots of relatives/friends from oversea & other states, who would like to attend our wedding, but wanted to spend the holidays with their families first. The date worked out so well :)
7. and last but not lease, the idea of sweating inside a thick, multi-layers wedding gown was not so appealing to me, so I chose Winter :o

We did put a lot of thoughts into planning our most special day. It's been proven over and over again that we've made a right decision, and that Dec 29th is definitely the best day for our anniversary! (The only set back is I would only get ONE combined Christmas + Anniversary gift from my hubby :( Well, I guess I can't really complain, because I think it's a GOOD thing that I only have to get him one gift :D :D )hehe

How about you?? How did you choose your special day?

kuhio98
02-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow! You guys put a lot of thought into it.
We got married on Memorial Day (U.S.) because we had the day off. The weather was nice. And we would have half a chance of remembering our Anniversary. :p But, since Memorial Day is celebrated on the last Monday of May, we still get it wrong most of the time. :rolleyes: Oh well! :D

Husky_mom
02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
mire is pretty simple LOL........hubby wanted the last weekend of January......but I convinced him on waiting till Feb 1st.........so that it was

01-02-03.........got it 1st Feb 2003........simple and easy to remember....FOR HIM !! LOL

and as for weather stuff he doesn´t likes cold and we were thinking an outside wedding, so no rain can appear either........ but Feb can also be windy so we did an inside one :rolleyes: after all......

one thing I hate......(well not too much) is that when I see a gorgeous dress I think I would´ve loved that one more and say "can we marry again so I can wear that one"........ROFL.........

JenBKR
02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow you really put a lot of thought into it! We thought a spring wedding would be pretty, so we looked at April. We then thought that April 22 looked like a nice date, so we decided on that, except it happened to be the day before Easter. So, we moved it back a week, and got married on April 29. Not much thought went into it, we just kind of closed our eyes and pointed to a date :D

ramanth
02-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Didn't put much thought into it. Just knew we wanted to get married some Saturday in the summer time.

Picked July 1st because it worked best with our families schedules. :D

Karen
02-15-2007, 12:31 PM
We got married the day after Paul's birthday, and the day before the matron-of-honor's birthday - so it was like a holiday weekend for the family!

Catsnclay
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Tim & had known each other for years....so when we first started dating we didn't have to go through the period of getting to know each other & the family stuff (his sister and I are good friends). Our first date was Memorial day 1989.

We then took a trip on July 4th (his birthday!) to San Diego - where he told me he loved me for the first time.

We got engaged that October, and married on February 17, 1990. :D Yes, fast I know.

We actually wanted to get married on Valentine's day, but my dear sweet mother :mad: (we don't talk now - but not because of this) told us that was too "cheesey" :rolleyes: Nice mom, huh?! So we moved the wedding to the saturday which happened to be the 17 - just like this year!! :eek:

So we celebrate our anniversary & Valentine's day together, and we all celebrate Tim's birthday on the 4th of July!!

My birthday is always the week after Thanksgiving, so we have things all planned out!!

finn's mom
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM
We have no idea! When I was married before, we didn't put too much thought into it, either...we got married on September 10th. I've heard David mention the fall, but I don't really care personally. :)

sparks19
02-15-2007, 01:02 PM
LOL We got married August 22nd. It was the first monday after we got our marriage license. the courts aren't open on the weekends so we did it the first available day.... Monday. :D It was really a spur of the moment kind of thing. We went on the Friday to get our license, went back on Monday and were married.

I always thought I wanted the big wedding with the dress and the cake and the celebration but now that it's done and over and I see my sister stressing over her wedding I couldn't be more pleased that we did it so quick and simple.

it worked out because the 22nd of the month is easy for me to remember :D My birthday is June 22nd. My neices birthday is Sept 22nd and my dads birthday is November 22nd. I don't remember things so well so having it end up on the 22nd was a blessing in disguise LOL now it's easy for me to remember.

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Didn't put much thought into it. Just knew we wanted to get married some Saturday in the summer time.

Picked July 1st because it worked best with our families schedules. :D
lolllllllll.. Well we were sort of the same thing.. We moved here may 20th- and I told my husband the house would be ready ( we got married at the house- ).. We had family that was coming from Minnesota- so the wedding was planned when everyone could get here- Alias July 3rd! lol.

catland
02-15-2007, 01:25 PM
My honey wanted to make sure that he would never forget our anniversary, so it was important to pick a date that could stick in his brain.

We flipped open the calendar - started looking at dates of the Saturdays in June-September, and there it was. July 27th.

7-2-7... just like the airplane :eek: :D

Glacier
02-15-2007, 01:30 PM
We eloped but we picked the day because it was one year after we started dating and the weekend before the Victoria Day long weekend--no tourists at the park we went to.

gemini9961
02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
We flew out on the 19th of October to WY. I had already arranged with the magistrate out there for it to be on the 20th as we had to get our marriage license still so we picked that up when we got into Jackson. Couldn't get married the 19th as it was not good time wise with our flight and all so the 20th it was. It was a Thursday. When I was a kid the number 20 was always my favorite number but that did not play a factor in us getting married on the 20th. Funny how it all worked out like that, destiny maybe? :)

Twisterdog
02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
We just grabbed the calender and picked a Saturday that nothing else had already been planned, wasn't a holiday, and was far enough into spring/summer that the weather would be nice, but not scorching hot. May 20th was the first day that was open, so we picked it. LOL

beeniesmom
02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow! You guys put a lot of thought into it.
We got married on Memorial Day (U.S.) because we had the day off. The weather was nice. And we would have half a chance of remembering our Anniversary. :p But, since Memorial Day is celebrated on the last Monday of May, we still get it wrong most of the time. :rolleyes: Oh well! :D

Cute! We did the same thing almost.
We got married on May 24th because we thought that it would always be close to the holiday and we'd have a better chance to celebrate long weekends.... almost 5 years now!

prechrswife
02-15-2007, 02:49 PM
We were going to get married in December because I was teaching at the time and had a good long break then. The chapel wasn't available. We backed things up to August so we could get married and go on our honeymoon before the start of the school year. (We didn't feel comfortable going much earlier because we had not dated that long, even though we had been friends much longer.) We tried Aug. 5, but someone else had the church for that day, so we ended up with Aug. 12. We got married, went on our honeymoon for a week, flew home on Sunday night, and I started pre-planning on Monday morning. Can you say "tired"?

Donnaj4962
02-15-2007, 03:16 PM
He proposed on New Year's Eve, and we decided we wanted a summer wedding, so we chose August 29. No real reason, just seemed to work for us. Of course, now we are divorced..... :rolleyes:

My niece is getting married this summer.... July 7, 2007 (07/07/07)!!!

Another niece is getting married on September 1, 2007. Don't know why.... other than her sister is getting married in July and she needed to give her folks some sort of a (financial) break! ;)

One of my sister's was married on August 21, which is my Mom's birthday. I always thought that was cool.

If I ever get married again, it will be at the JP, and there will be a big party after!

Sophist
02-15-2007, 03:20 PM
We picked February 9th because as soon as we sat down to start discussing, it just really randomly jumped out at both of us. It was kind of a "Hey, that sounds like a good idea... well, why make it more complicated than that?" thing.

But then we ended up losing the date because the place we had selected to get married had a scheduling mistake. They offered to get us totally set up at no cost/inconvenience in a similar place (run by the same folks, and actually a little closer) on that date, or to move our date. Since we HAD put a lot of thought into the place and it did have a lot of meaning, unlike the date, we just moved it up a week and ended up getting married on 2/2.

We'll have been an old married couple of 2 whole weeks tomorrow.

Sophist
02-15-2007, 03:22 PM
My niece is getting married this summer.... July 7, 2007 (07/07/07)!!! !

I have one sister who does catering and another sister who does wedding photography, and according to them that is going to be a super, super popular wedding date. They're both being heavily competed for by several brides.

Best of luck to your neice, and tell her to make sure she is getting reservations as early as possible!!!

pitc9
02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
We were married on October 13th, I picked it because it was a Saturday right during the peak fall colors of the leaves.

critter crazy
02-15-2007, 04:02 PM
He proposed to me on Christmas Day, and we set the date for July 3rd, figuring he would never forget the date, and we would always have a long weekened out of it!:D

BitsyNaceyDog
02-15-2007, 09:50 PM
We really didn't have to think of a wedding date, I always wanted to get married on July 17. July 17 is my parents anniversary, my grandparents anniversary, and my great-grandpa's birthday.

Justin and I also wanted to get married in the summer because it would work best for all of our out of town friends and family.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-16-2007, 06:48 AM
We chose April Fool's Day - seemed appropriate really :D

ramanth
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Twisterdog, Andy's birthday is May 20th.

Ironically, our first date was February 20th and he proposed September 20th. You would of thought we would of married on a 20th. :p :D

We chose April Fool's Day - seemed appropriate really :D
Hahaha!!! So did my best friend. :D