PDA

View Full Version : What vaccinations do your cat(s) get?

JenBKR
02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I did this one in the dog section, so I figured I'd start this here too. What vaccinations do your cats get, if any? How often?

I may get slammed for this, but my cats do not get vaccinations anymore. They got the lot of them when they were kittens, but now they only see the vet on an 'as needed' basis. Personally, I am comfortable with this decision, especially considering they are indoor cats. So, what do you do?

mrspunkysmom
02-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I didn't used to get any but now I get rabies, so I won't be reported. Also I visit my mom who lives in a high rabies epidemic area, and I don't want my cats confiscated.

This last time I got the vacs, since my mom has the habit of picking up strays and not having them tested for several weeks.

But after this last episode, I may not do vacs again. AFter all, if vacs protext us for several years, why not the critters?

Anne

sandragonfly
02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
I feed my cats raw diet - no vaccinations. stronger immunesystem.

but if I must, by threat, I may.

Catlady711
02-14-2007, 11:43 PM
As for my own cats...

Previous to working at the hospital I kept up with yearly vaccinations of:
Feline Leukemia (FELV)
Feline Distemper (CVR-C)
Rabies (first time 1 year, every 3 years after that)

Once I started working at the hospital (and added more cats) I added..
FIP

(controversy exists over the nasal FIP vaccination as to whether it works or not, however I don't feel that it does any harm, and with working around the occasional FIP positive cats, I don't want to chance bringing it home to my own cats since the disease is incurable)

The only exception now is Dusty. At 16 1/2 yrs old with severe osteoarthritis, I am reducing her vaccinations to only the Rabies as of this year. She's too old to travel or go for a walk her leash anymore, and it's not worth stressing her out with additional vaccinations seeing as she may not be around for more than a year or two. She should have some residual immunity against Distemper now (and she's had 12 years of yearly boosters), and not going outside anymore she isn't as high risk for Feline Leukemia, however there is always some risk because of where I work.

------

I think ALL cats should be given a Rabies vaccination the same as dogs. Aside from the problems that would happen if your cat bit someone, here's something that actually happened at our hospital last year...

Lady with 2 indoor only cats. Bat gets into the house. Lady comes home from work to find dead bat. It's a holiday weekend so bat cannot be tested for rabies. Contact with a bat is serious with the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) and requires a SIX MONTH quaranteen!! (sp?)

You never know what will come down your chimney or fly in your house, or when a pet might behave erratically. Rabies is nothing to mess around with.

I think any cat going outside should have Distemper and Feline Leukemia vaccinations since they are at higher risk for getting them.

I think ALL new cats should at least be tested for Feline Leukemia and have the test repeated in 6 weeks, and be isolated from other cats during that time.

Catlady711
02-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I feed my cats raw diet - no vaccinations. stronger immunesystem.

Do you have yearly titers done to ensure immunity?

sandragonfly
02-14-2007, 11:58 PM
why need them since they all are strictly indoor cats?

do you?