PDA

View Full Version : "I couldn't work here"

CathyBogart
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Taken from here: http://k9deb.com/shelter.htm

When you say to an animal shelter or humane society employee "I could never do your job, it would break my heart, I love animals too much" or words to that effect, it sounds like you are saying:

-- That we don't also love animals, even though we've taken minimum wage (or no wage) jobs in order to work with homeless animals. For many of us it is our life's work.

-- That we, somehow, don't get our hearts broken.

-- That in order to do this job one has to be either cold hearted or an animal hater.

Your declaration leaves us with some questions.

If you can't do this job, who will? Someone must.

When we've euthanized the 500th kitten for the month, because there are no homes available, will you take the 501st? Our hearts are completely torn out and we just can't kill one more. You already have enough pets? We understand, we do too. Our cages are over capacity, our foster homes are all full. Do you have a solution? If so, please tell us, we hate this part of the job. Right now, at this moment, there is a dog or cat in a shelter employee's arms and there is no where on earth for this creature to go. There is no cage space, no foster home, no forever home. Nowhere. It is a heartbreaking feeling.

There is a really nice yellow lab mix named Jake. He's 3 years old, healthy, housebroken, loves kids, loves everyone! But, he can't find a home because he's quite generic looking, he's not real flashy and he's not a puppy ("I want a dog to grow up with the kids"). We've had him here for 3 months, but can no longer justify taking up valuable cage space for a dog that's showing no signs of becoming adopted. What would you do? There are 10 dogs that came in today. We have two open runs. Who has to die? Walking through the kennel, having to choose which ones have no more time is the worst part. It breaks our hearts. If you know of a way to keep Jake alive and still be fair to the other animals, please tell us. We've grown so attached -- it's our hearts again you know -- they're breaking into a million pieces this time.

Will you talk to the woman who brings in a blind, 10 yr. old peek-a-poo with bad skin and says "Don't kill her! Find her a good home!"? Oh puhleeeeeeze. We can't find homes for the healthy 1 year olds; who's going to adopt a 10 year old, unhealthy dog? You? Me neither. I already have four dogs that were considered unadoptable. Because this owner won't face reality and allow us to euthanize right away, the dog has to spend her last 24 hours on earth in a holding cage, wondering what happened. But, we held her as often as we could and tried to comfort her because you can't. It would break your heart. "Wait!" you say, "Someone might want her!" It's quite unlikely that there is someone that wants an elderly dog that needs a few hundred dollars worth of veterinary care. Our crystal ball is broken, but if you think she can find a home and you want to save her please go back to the kennel and pick which young, healthy dog has to give up its space here.

OK. You can't work at a animal shelter. Not everyone can. Can you help in other ways? Can you buy us a bag of food when you buy for your own pet? Can you come in and talk to the cats? Walk the dogs? We are so busy running the place that we often don't have time. When you come back next week we won't tell you the final disposition of your favorite one if you don't want to know. We are, after all, a compassionate group and we understand about broken hearts. Could you go to your friend or neighbor and offer to get their pet spayed/neutered? Tell your friend about us and how we get our hearts broken every day. Could you trap one of those stray cats in your neighborhood and get it vaccinated and neutered? That will be one more free-roaming cat that's out of the reproduction loop.

Maybe you could send a small check to say "Thank you". Anything at all would help.

I know you mean well. I know you mean to say "I couldn't work here because my own emotions get in the way of doing what has to be done for the animals, thank you for doing it."

DrKym
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I am speechless, and although I do a few of those things, that was an incredibly moving post. May I have permission to copy it? with credit to your name of course, but I know a few people at our rescuse that would love that post.

Kym

CathyBogart
02-14-2007, 01:37 PM
I didn't write it, but Debbie's email address is at the bottom of the page(the lady who wrote it), and I'm sure she'd be glad to have it shared around. :)

mike001
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Pretty gut wrenching, but very true. I used to help at our local shelter and that's exactly how it is.

AvaJoy
02-14-2007, 01:57 PM
I, too, am speechless upon reading this post. It personally hits home to me in a specific way, bringing back a painful memory I regret from over 20 years ago.

I hope others will read this and extract a better understanding of the toll doing shelter work takes on the hearts and emotions of those individuals who care enough to try and make a difference in homeless pets' sad lives.

Blessings, purrs and tail wags to all of you for your selfless deeds.

jackie
02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I am going to cross post this message,

thanks for taking the time to post it.

Jackie, xxx

GreyhoundGirl
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Waterworks over here. That was a really touching post. Thank you.

Zippy
02-14-2007, 03:02 PM
I wonderful wonderful message to all animal lovers.

Cataholic
02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
I am guilty of saying that. I won't ever again. :(

cyber-sibes
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
:(
Reading this brought on major LES. I used to work with a woman who did shelter work, she finally quit for that exact reason - she just couldn't walk one more dog down that corridor of no return. It takes guts along with a big heart to do what needs to be done. I am fortunate to live in a county where there are fewer animals available than there are families who want to adopt, most places are not so lucky. God bless shelter people everywhere.

Miss Z
02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
What a moving post, it gives me an awful feeling in my stomach just thinking of all those poor homeless pets. I'm glad the shelter I volunteer at is no-kill, otherwise I would find it hard to do the job aswell. :(

pitc9
02-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I am guilty of saying that. I won't ever again. :(

Me too....

I do donate, food, collars, leashes, bleach, paper towles, money... etc.
Always have... always will and I have gotten other to do so as well. Some people don't realize a little amout of money can go a long way when buying things that shelters need bad.

Laura's Babies
02-15-2007, 08:50 AM
The people who need to see this won't. It IS heartbreakin and believe me, those animals do haunt you for years. I had to quit helping out at the shelter because I couldn't take it. They always did the "deed" after I left but returning the next day would rip my heart out when I saw perfectly wonderful former pets were no longer there. I know if I had known their time was up, I would have brought them home.

moosmom
02-15-2007, 09:52 AM
What a heartbreaker of a story that is!! But it's so true. I gave up animal rescue after moving back to Connecticut. But since I now have more time on my hands, being semi-retired, I've signed up to volunteer with Catales, a non-profit cat rescue that I had originally joined over 10 years ago. It breaks my heart to see any animals in cages. But Deb Bagley's organization is one that I am truly dedicated to. She taught me everything I know about TNR, socializing feral and semi-feral cats. She has over 88 cats in her basement and you'd never now it. Except when the cats come out of everywhere to see you and schmooze. The only cats that are in cages are the FeLv/Aids positive cats. But they too get alot of love from our wonderful volunteers.

I think you should copy the post, Cathy, and frame it, putting it in a place where everyone can see it.

Thanks for sharing!!

applesmom
02-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Great post!

Along the same topic: On every pet discussion board in existence there are situations brought up where animals need homes or donations for medical care. Every posters heart goes out in these situations or they wouldn't be participating in pet discussions at all.

Yet we read over and over again, "I would help but I can't" followed by various assorted excuses such as "too many pets, too far away, no room, no money" etc. Legitimate as those excuses may be--posting them is redundant! We'd all like to help but we certainly can't help them all. That's a fact of life! Redundant excuses don't help the pets in need or provide a solution.

Sometimes simple verbal support without listing excuses is helpful enough!