PDA

View Full Version : Spanish homework... can anyone help?

dab_20
02-13-2007, 09:15 PM
I missed a day and am really behind and there are just a couple things I can't figure out, so if any of you know spanish, help would be appreciated!

First, how do I tell someone my address? Let's say my address is 5464 East Timberlake St. SLC, UT 89756.
Second, how do I tell someone "It was nice meeting you."?
Third, "tercer piso" means third floor in spanish... how do I say fourth floor? Is it cuatro piso?

Sorry, I know to some of you this might seem so basic, but I'm in Spanish I. lol

GreyhoundGirl
02-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Sorry, out of the dozen or so languages I've studied... Spanish isn't one of them... All I can do is bump this for you.

Hope it helps!!! *bump*

koxka
02-14-2007, 07:19 AM
It was nice meeting you.

Do you know the difference between TU and USTED?

If you are using TU: Encantado/a de conocerTE
If you are using USTED : Encantado/a de conocerLE

---------------

As for the number here is a link you can get all the ordinal number that correspont to the natural ones

Ordinal Numbers (http://amnesia.eljuego.free.fr/Vocabulario/ordinales.htm)

As for the adress just translate it in spanish if not I don't understand your question. :o

Lobodeb
02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
To tell your address, you would say, "Mi direcion es....."(you might want to take your addy out of your post for safety reasons if that's your real address.

Husky_mom
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM
well here I go......

your address

"mi direcion es Calle Timber......numero......SLT,etc, etc. " if you want me to spell numer I can do that for you

second "it was nice meeting you"
"fue un placer conocerTE" if you are taking to an equal
or
"fue un placer conocerLE" if you are talking to a grownup or someone you feel to be more respectful

third "fourth floor"
"cuarto piso"

four is "cuatro"
fourth is "cuarto"
"cuarto" can also be translated as "room" you know

dab_20
02-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you soo much for your help! Yes, usted is the formal you. Tu is just you. In this case I think it's tu. Thanks again! :)

btw, Nope I made the address up. :)

Almita
02-14-2007, 09:29 PM
yes the usted form is the formal way to speak to someone who is older than you. someone younger or just a friend you use tu. If you don't know the person and just meeting them or somewhat you still use the usted form.

That's good you are trying spanish fun to learn. I'm a fluent speaker and i'm in spanish 2 just to get some credits for high school to apply for a scholar.

Edwina's Secretary
02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
I learned to say "Muy amable" when in English we would say..."It was nice to meet you."

How is that different?

Randi
02-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Sara, es muy amable would be "it's very nice of you" I think.

I would use Encantada de conocerte/le.

One of the first numbers I learned to say in Spanish was, seis cientas dies y ocho (hotel room), and mil novecientas setenta y quatro. (you can figure out what that is) LOL! :D

One caution when you get to the Shopping bit of it.... don't mix up jabon and jamon like I did. ;)

A good thing to learn in the beginning, is the difference of SER and ESTAR. ;)

Que se divierta!

Husky_mom
02-15-2007, 11:22 AM
spanish can be VERY tricky LOL........even for spanish speakers.......

if you need anything Dan, I will gladly help you out

dab_20
02-15-2007, 05:46 PM
spanish can be VERY tricky LOL........even for spanish speakers.......

if you need anything Dan, I will gladly help you out

Thanks. :) Hehe I got 62/68 on my worksheet... so that's good! Thanks for all your help :)

carole
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
This is my daughters second year in spanish and she just loves it, the teacher as well, looks like you got some expert help here from people who really know the language,good luck ,hope you do well in the subject.

koxka
02-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I learned to say "Muy amable" when in English we would say..."It was nice to meet you."

That's very strange Sara :confused: Where did you get it?
"Muy amable" means "It was very kind of you" or "you are very kind"

Maybe some latin american spanish speakers could us fill in about this expression used as a introduction?

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
That's very strange Sara :confused: Where did you get it?
"Muy amable" means "It was very kind of you" or "you are very kind"

Maybe some latin american spanish speakers could us fill in about this expression used as a introduction?

Anna...not so much as a greeting but upon leaving. (If that makes sense.) After being introduced and then taking leave of the person to whom you were introduced.

Freedom
02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
This has been VERY interesing for me to read through. I took
- 2 years of Latin
- 3 years of French
- 4 years of Spanish (3 of those were at the college level)

It was all many years ago. In Latin the only thing I remember is "agricolae en agua sunt," which I "THINK" means the farmers are in the water. I have NO idea WHY they are in the water. :D I never liked French, the French nun who taught it was my home room teacher and she and I didn't get along, and I don't even recognize it when I see it anymore. Spanish, I used to read short stories, I had conversations with a woman newly arrived from Bolivia before she learned any English. That was all many years ago. How do I know? Because I haven't any idea what any of you are talking about in this thread!!! *sigh* All that studying, and if you don't use it after the final exam . . . . .

Husky_mom
02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
the muy amable thing is like

hello
nice to meet you
you are very nice

translation of the "nice´s"

hola
gusto en conocerte
eres muy amable

carole
02-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Well i learn't that C'omo Esta means how are you? an informal greeting.

And un gato means a cat

Ok i shall give a piece for someone to translate, see how you all go.for those learning spanish.

Tengo tres gatos y un perro

and no Tengo animales en casa.,

Randi
02-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Carole, I can translate that. :D

I have three cats and a dog, I don't have animals in the house.

Let's have some more translations, and we'll all learn more. :)

dab_20
02-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I knew that one! Yes, more translations. That would be fun. :)

Anita Cholaine
02-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I'd be glad to help anyone learing spanish.

Ok, som sentences to translate....

How about...

Mi amigo Luis vive en Mexico.

and

Yo estoy estudiando espaņol.

dab_20
02-17-2007, 05:21 PM
My friend Luis lives in Mexico.
I am a Spanish student. :)

carole
02-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Well done Randi.