View Full Version : What vaccinations do your dog(s) get?

JenBKR
02-13-2007, 03:04 PM
It's almost that time for Roscoe, so I was curious - what vaccinations does everyone get for your dogs? Do you get them any vaccinations? And how often?

binka_nugget
02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
My guys get their rabies done every 3 years. I was planning on not vaccinating them against anything else for the rest of their lives.. but the vet gave Kai the combo vaccine when I asked for JUST the rabies vaccine. Boooooy was I mad.

The puppy coming home has had all three sets. She'll just be getting the rabies done every three years and titres done regularly.

.sarah
02-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Mine get rabies only, every three years.

wolf_Q
02-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Keva has had all of the puppy shots (Parvo, distemper, bordatella, etc.), including rabies. With me bringing her to work every day, there's lots of dogs she's exposed to I didn't want to risk her getting any of those since they are more serious if the dog is young. Nebo had all of the yearly shots up until last year (he didn't get them), I decided to just get rabies from now on. They'll both always be current on rabies shots, I know some people are even against that, but it is required by law. We go camping often so there's a possibility of coming across a wild animal with rabies, plus the legal issues if a bite were to occur, etc. Unfortunately the city law requires it every 2 years instead of every 3. :/ They are also kept on heartworm preventative year round.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Mine get rabies every two years because of the wildlife they can run into. As pups they get a DA2PPL ( killed parvo)then after 2 years, every two years. I test for heartworm yearly as I take them off it from November to February because of the cold temps. So for each year restart, I have them tested.

CathyBogart
02-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Rabies because it's required by law, Distemper because there is a lot of it in my area. MAYBE Lepto this year because we like to hang out in Santa Cruz a lot and Lepto is starting to get big there. :(

Freedom
02-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Rabies. It is the 3 year shot, but Rhode Island doesn't recognize it, so it is only good for 2 years.

Not sure what I will get for Sugar in future.

dab_20
02-13-2007, 06:14 PM
All the yearly shots and rabies every 2 years.

lute
02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
My guys get their rabies every 3yrs. Charlie and Gracie both got their shots required by their breeders when they were puppies. Charlie actually just got his rabies the other day.

Pom mommy
02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
My older girl Missy just gets rabies. The puppies got everything this year but next year will probably only get the rabies and distemper.

cali
02-13-2007, 06:33 PM
1 parvo at 16 weeks, and thats it for life.

Love That Collie
02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Rabies every 2 years as required by state law. (But I would do it anyway)
DHPP every year. Lepto is rare around here.
NASAL Bordetella vaccine.
Corona virus vaccine.
And heartworm test yearly.

Catlady711
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Good reasons to finish entire series of 'puppy/kitten shots' and keep up with boosters as your veterinarian recommends for your dog/cat which may vary depending on age of pet, risk factors, and the area you live in.

Shelters take in animals that are surrendered, and strays. If it's in the shelters, it's in the communities and vise versa. These links are just the most recent ones.

Distemper outbreak Washington (http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/articles/2007/01/29/news/news03.txt)

Parvo outbreak in Georgia (http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/local/states/georgia/counties/houston_peach/16654807.htm)

Parvo outbreak Pennsylvania (http://cbs3.com/pets/local_story_040185518.html)

Parvo outbreak Nevada (http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6083238)

Parvo outbreak California (http://www.thelabradorian.ca/index.cfm?iid=2246&sid=18174)

Parvo outbreak Tennessee (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/desoto/article/0,1426,MCA_451_5330990,00.html)

Feline Panleukopenia outbreak Florida (http://www.wesh.com/news/10775397/detail.html)

Information about Distemper (http://www.avma.org/communications/brochures/canine_distemper/distemper_brochure.asp)

Information on Rabies (http://www.avma.org/communications/brochures/rabies/rabies_brochure.asp)

Information about Parvo (http://www.avma.org/communications/brochures/canine_parvo/parvo_brochure.asp)

Information on Lepto (http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/88.html)

mike001
02-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Rabies every 4 yrs. Nothing else after puppy shots.

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Rabies every 4 yrs. Nothing else after puppy shots.
If my dogs were not going to shows, I would do the same after the 1 year booster. My vet believes every two years for the boosters, verses the norm of yearly with an adult dog.
IMO Bordatella is a not only a waste of money- but doesnt even protect the dog for all the strains- and can even cause pnemonia as well.

GreyhoundGirl
02-14-2007, 07:08 AM
The records say... (july 2006)

1 heartworm test
1yearly examination/booster
1 rabies tag #
1advantage multi 55

BitsyNaceyDog
02-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Mine get their rabies shots every 3 years, because it's required by law.

JenBKR
02-14-2007, 08:44 AM
I just realized that I forgot to answer my own question :o

I'm doing rabies every two years and heartworm tests. This is probably a stupid question, but what is a 6-in-1 or a 5-in-1?

Freedom
02-14-2007, 09:45 AM
5 in 1 means 5 vaccines included in one shot.

The 5 in 1 is DHLPP. Often abbreviated a the "distemper/parvo 5 in 1." It covers: canine Distemper; Hepatitis; Leptospirosis; Parainfluenza; Parvovirus. All are very contagious.

The 6 in 1 is DHLPP-C. It covers the above PLUS Corona virus, also contagious.

Rabies is always a separate shot.

Bortadella (kennel cough) is also given separately.

The web site for the bichon club recommends getting the shots at different visits due the size of the dog. I'm still just getting up to speed on all of this for Sugar. Hmmm, I'll need to find out how my vet bills if I take her in at different times, just for a shot.

Canis-Lupess
02-14-2007, 09:49 AM
In the UK, we don't have rabies anymore so dogs here don't need to be vaccinated against it. It must be a bummer having a disease like that lurking in the country you live in. :(

The main shots that dogs are supposed to get here are the usual puppy shots and then a booster for the same thing every year from then but I think the boosters are more a money making scam than anything else. I may have them get a booster for the first few years, say up to about 6 and then leave them. A vet told my dad that dogs don't really need a booster after that time, they build their own immunity. I also read an article somewhere that yearly boosters might actually be harmful to dogs but that the vaccine companies are still instructing vets to advise pet owners to get their pets done yearly and many vets themselves don't know any diffferent. It was a vet that wrote the article but I can't remember where I read it. Has anybody else heard about this?

Still, many kennels and shows, training clubs etc...require that you booster them every year for life and request to see the vaccination records in order to prove it.

The shots that my dogs had protected them against: distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirosis and parainfluenza. Those were the ones ticked in their vaccination records they recieve and the name of the vaccine was vanguard. The company that makes it I assume.

Freedom
02-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes, Canis Lupess, we have that debate here as well, as to whether any or all of the shots are necessary, dangerous, side effects outweigh the benefits. I know folks who get no shots for their dogs, and some who don't even get the rabies shot; they have small house dogs, figure the dog is never going to get bitten by a rabid animal, and the heck with the laws.

The same applies to the cat side of things. I know my vet doesn't even recommend some of the cat vaccines which most folks get; so I don't get those on my cats, either. And my vet doesn't give my older cats (about 8 and over) the ones he gives the younger cats. Because my cats stay indoors, he and I agreed not to give something, can't recall what just now.

luvofallhorses
02-14-2007, 11:38 AM
mine get distemper, parvo, and rabies (every 2 years for rabies here)

areias
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Rabies once a year, most places here don't do 3 year. For the indoor cats...first set of vaccines then nothing. I haven't yet decided what I want to do as far as vaccines. We usually go away about once a year...the younger ones are going into boarding...so the "young" ones get yearly vaccines and the older ones don't go too far from here, so they only get their rabies. The older ones were fully vaccinated up until they were 4 years old each anyway.

You might want to check out k9krazee posts-at least one of her dogs got lepto from being in the woods. That makes me think twice about vaccines.

Heartguard year round and tested yearly.

sparks19
02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
RAbies, Bordatella, and Lyme Disease.

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
canis- to not give rabies is asking for trouble. If your dog bites someone, there is only one way to insure the dog doesnt have it- KILL the dog.. Most people will not allow you to isolate your dog for the time period- and they will kill your dog..
I give rabies now every two years because where I live on this mountian, they do run into wild animals- its for their protection more than anything. However- when I lived in the city, it was every 3 years..

Freedom
02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Good point, Michelle, I should have stated that, too. I wasn't advocating NOT getting the rabies shot, by the way. Just showing how extensive some folks take the controversy.

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Good point, Michelle, I should have stated that, too. I wasn't advocating NOT getting the rabies shot, by the way. Just showing how extensive some folks take the controversy.
So many of the Asian countries are having to euthenize their pets because of a sudden rabies outbreak.. All of us have heard the news.
Without the vaccine- if the dog or cats bites someone- they will kill the dog to test the brain.

Canis-Lupess
02-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Borzoimom - We do not have Rabies in the UK. It does not exist here. Thats why dogs don't have to be vaccinated against it here. It doesn't even exist among the wild animal population.

Rabies shots are not offered because they are not needed.

The U.K is a rabies free country hence our quarantine laws.

pitc9
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Rabies as often as required by law here in Ohio (every 5 years)
Lepto every year.
5/6 in 1 every three years.

My Peanuts
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I give rabies and distemper yearly. Also they are on monthly heartworm protection from may-december. They get tested yearly for heartworm before they start the treatment.

JenBKR
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Borzoimom - We do not have Rabies in the UK. It does not exist here. Thats why dogs don't have to be vaccinated against it here. It doesn't even exist among the wild animal population.

Not entirely true:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001334.htm

The United Kingdom had once completely eradicated rabies. This is no longer true. Recently, rabies-infected bats have been found in Scotland.

I've heard of other instances too, just can't remember where I saw them at. But outbreaks have been known to happen. Better safe than sorry!

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 03:41 PM

If it were me, considering that to not have it would mean death to my pet, I would get the vaccine- that is the one I WOULD get.. And one of the few diseases also contagious to people...

Canis-Lupess
02-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Yes, they believe that it always existed among bats but my dogs never came into contact with bats and I don't know anyone else who's dogs came into contact with bats either. A guy caught the infection but he was actually working with these bats and handling them.

It hasn't been detected in anything other than bats.

Nobody at all gets their dog vaccinated against rabies here...unless they are taking them abroad to a country that does have it. There have been no cases of rabies in dogs, cats or anything...only those bats in scotland and maybe in other places.

Vets here certainly haven't been advising pet owners here to vaccinate against rabies and nobody else has either.

If a dog bites somebody here, it doesn't get shot for fear of rabies...rabies is never even considered. It might be destroyed if it is obviously dangerous in itself and considered too aggressive to be living in society but rabies is never mentioned..even among those cases where small children and babies have been mauled to death by the fmaily pets.

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes, they believe that it always existed among bats but my dogs never came into contact with bats and I don't know anyone else who's dogs came into contact with bats either. A guy caught the infection but he was actually working with these bats and handling them.

It hasn't been detected in anything other than bats.

Nobody at all gets their dog vaccinated against rabies here...unless they are taking them abroad to a country that does have it. There have been no cases of rabies in dogs, cats or anything...only those bats in scotland and maybe in other places.

Vets here certainly haven't been advising pet owners here to vaccinate against rabies and nobody else has either.

If a dog bites somebody here, it doesn't get shot for fear of rabies...rabies is never even considered. It might be destroyed if it is obviously dangerous in itself and considered too aggressive to be living in society but rabies is never mentioned..even among those cases where small children and babies have been mauled to death by the fmaily pets.
It doesnt matter- other animals come in contact with bats- ... I wouldnt risk it. This is rabies..

Canis-Lupess
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
The last animal to die in the UK of rabies was in 1922.

The last human to die in the UK of rabies caught here was in 1902.

All other cases are in quarantined animals or humans who were infected whilst abroad.

borzoimom
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
The last animal to die in the UK of rabies was in 1922.

The last human to die in the UK of rabies caught here was in 1902.

All other cases are in quarantined animals or humans who were infected whilst abroad.
Considering that there are cases of rabies- even if in bats, this can even infect humans, and if a dog bites someone they are put down, I would give rabies. The others- well debateable in some ways- but not rabies.

Canis-Lupess
02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Funnily enough, it hasn't infected humans or pets for over 70 years and hasn't been detected in any other wild animal either. It was unfortunate for that guy who just happened to work with bats and be a handler. I remember the case when it happened but experts at the time also said it was very unlikely to spread anywhere else and it hasn't done.

The infection the guy died of was described as a rabies like virus so I'm assuming it must be some different virus that is just similar to rabies.

I think that if the government or any experts thought that there was even a slight risk of pets here getting rabies, they would advise getting them vaccinated against it but they haven't which means they don't consider there to be any risk. I know the UK strives to retain it's rabies free status and it still holds this status despite the bats.

IRescue452
02-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Rabies every 3 years

tikeyas_mom
02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Tikeya gets rabies done every 3ish years.. Im not sure what Shaun has had done to Ebony and Daisy... I dont do any other vaccinations to Tikeya, because I used to be uber perinoid about it, till she started getting warts from over vaccinating her.

Love That Collie
02-14-2007, 07:46 PM
If my dogs were not going to shows, I would do the same after the 1 year booster. My vet believes every two years for the boosters, verses the norm of yearly with an adult dog.
IMO Bordatella is a not only a waste of money- but doesnt even protect the dog for all the strains- and can even cause pnemonia as well.

It is required here for dogs at daycare or boarding.
And the NASAL Bordatella is more effective than the shot.

areias
02-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Oh yes..wanted to mention...I don't vaccinate against bordatella if I can help it. When I had the original 3..all were vaccinated against it. I was working at a boarding kennel then, and we had an outbreak of kennel cough (about 15 dogs caught it...all were vaccinated..). None of my dogs had had any contact with the kennel since about a month prior to the outbreak when they went in for baths. I guess I must have brought the virus home on my clothes, because all 3 of my dogs got it, and they were vaccinated (nasally). I no longer vaccinate for bordatella, its a waste of money.

Suki Wingy
02-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Rabies and Bordatella because the kennel requires it. He may bet something else but that would be my parents' doing and I'm not aware of it.

CathyBogart
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
ITA about Bardatella being a waste of money, and so does my vet. :) Jasper got it a week after being vaccinated against it.

Catlady711
02-14-2007, 11:11 PM
till she started getting warts from over vaccinating her.

Ok that's a new one on me. I never heard of warts coming from any vaccination. To my knowledge from working at the hospital for 6 years, warts are caused by a virus, and tend to occur in older dogs, and are more prevailent in certain breeds (ie, cocker spaniels etc).

Canine Viral Papilloma - aka warts (http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html)

Catlady711
02-14-2007, 11:17 PM
ITA about Bardatella being a waste of money, and so does my vet. :) Jasper got it a week after being vaccinated against it.

The first time a dog gets a Bordatella vaccination it needs a second one 2-3 weeks later and gets full protection a couple weeks after the last one giving time for the immune system to respond. The intranasal Bordatella requires only one dose and is effective in a week.

If you dog had not finished the series, or was exposed to Bordatella prior to vaccination that could explain it.

NO vaccine is 100% effective, dog, cat OR human, however I believe they have to prove through testing that their vaccine is somewhere in the 90% range of effectiveness to market it.

Many bording kennels, obedience classes and groomers require the vaccination, and animals that are higher risk (ie. being around many other dogs) are reccomended they have this vaccine.

CathyBogart
02-14-2007, 11:26 PM
The shelter records did indicate that the vaccine should be repeated in two weeks, though I find it odd that they wouldn't finish the series before putting the dog up for adoption, since I'm sure bordatella runs rampant at times through even the cleanest shelter environment.

I asked my Dr. about finishing the series after he had it, and she told me she didn't recommend it unless I was going to be boarding him somewhere that required it, and even then she'd rather sign a waiver.

I'm extremely curious about what my RVT classes are going to have to say on the subject.

Catlady711
02-14-2007, 11:48 PM
The shelter records did indicate that the vaccine should be repeated in two weeks, though I find it odd that they wouldn't finish the series before putting the dog up for adoption, since I'm sure bordatella runs rampant at times through even the cleanest shelter environment.

Probably the shelter, like many, needed to open up cage space for another pet, and having someone ready,willing,approved to adopt, they just rushed I'm guessing.

CathyBogart
02-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Most likely. Now that I'm looking at the records again, they didn't finish his DAPP series either.

sandragonfly
02-15-2007, 12:17 AM
because of law and him as a serv¡ce dog, rabies is required. one every three years.

he had to twice in last year and half so we could go to findlay, ohio party. they, hancock county park wanted not more than a year old record.

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 07:01 AM
When I first told my vet I kept hearing in dog magazines etc that alot of dogs given the bordatella vaccine were coming down with pnemonia etc- at first he just smiled and said " okay..".. Now he says the same thing in observing those vaccinated.
In preparing last year for the show circuit- vaccines came up for Zubin and Galina. He said the same thing I had told him a year before. I started to grin- he said " well - sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees" and tossed it off. He said when it would show up in a "clean house" with no contact with a kennel etc, and basically secluded households, then he started to question the vaccines effectiveness. In his opinion- its the same as a " cold shot" being given to people, when there are so many strains that it would not cover. And any vaccine is a stress already on the immune system. To me- its not worth it.. They also do not require at the kennel where I board once in a while. I asked the owner about shot requirements when I left them there, and he said he doesnt require it, and would rather people not vaccinate against it prior to bringing the dog to his place as it seems to cause it. My dogs have NEVER come home with this- .
I was a little shocked at first when my vets office suggested to give the dogs rabies every two years instead of 3. I have no reason to distrust them. A week later a possum came out in the yard at 2 in the afternoon staggering through the yard. Havent regretted that decission ever since. ( my husband killed it- and the health department came out- it tested positive for rabies. )

Love That Collie
02-15-2007, 05:45 PM
The first time a dog gets a Bordatella vaccination it needs a second one 2-3 weeks later and gets full protection a couple weeks after the last one giving time for the immune system to respond. The intranasal Bordatella requires only one dose and is effective in a week.

If you dog had not finished the series, or was exposed to Bordatella prior to vaccination that could explain it.

NO vaccine is 100% effective, dog, cat OR human, however I believe they have to prove through testing that their vaccine is somewhere in the 90% range of effectiveness to market it.

Many bording kennels, obedience classes and groomers require the vaccination, and animals that are higher risk (ie. being around many other dogs) are reccomended they have this vaccine.

Exactly. Just because an animal is vaccinated doesn't mean that it is 100% not going to contract. Some are the same with humans. Just because you are vaccinated with the flu vaccination or pneumonia vac. doesn't mean that you can't get it. I had ONE dog with kennel cough and guess what? It didn't have the Bordatella intranasal......it was vaccinated with the injections.

Vet opinions do vary just as wide as human doctor's opinions.

areias
02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I do know a dog that passed away from kennel cough-he was a pretty old (over 10 years) Chi who contracted it, not sure what happened but he did pass away. Just keep that in mind.