PDA

View Full Version : The forbidden subject.. (rant)

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2007, 06:38 PM
We just moved into this house, it is really nice, has a big fenced backyard n sundeck.. Our yard has been covered in snow since I moved in, and I have been kepping up with the poop scooping every 2 days... (I have this complex, if I dont scoop it I get paranoid that the dogs are trailing it in the house etc..)

Anyways, today was a fairly warm day (melting most of the snow in my backyard and revealing the most disgusting thing I have ever seen)... I guess the lady that lived here before me (who happens to be the landlord, owner of two dogs) NEVER poop scooped.... :mad: I went back there to take care of my dogs mess, and holy crap (no pun intended).. But I couldn't take one step in that yard without being surrounded by poop!!!! :mad: .. I am completely horrified... I have never seen that much before... :eek: .. I could be sick..

I called my landlord right away to tell her I want somone over here to pick it up asap... And she said, I'll have to deal with it till spring!! :eek: So now I refuse to let my dogs in that backyard, I will have to take them out into the front leashed to do their business... GRR anyways thats my rant.. I cant believe some people would let it get that bad..

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I hate to say this- but just pick up the yard- yesssssssssss- they should do it , but with the cold if there is a problem in the stools your dogs could get, picking it up now in the cold- before it sets in the dirt in the long run could really help YOUR DOGS! ... imo

Kalei
02-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Oh my goodness! :eek: I would be just as angry as you are. I mean that is another dogs poo where only your dogs should be. You never know what another dog may have, not mentioning the fact that it must be so messy looking and smell too. Well hopefully it doesn't smell too bad. I hope there is some way you can get it cleaned up soon. I"m guessing that it is way to much to clean up yourself.

Disgusting...I'm glad you are taking your doggies to another part of the land to potty.

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
It isn't cold anymore though, I tried to pick it up.. I was out there for an HOUR and only got a quarter of it before I gave up... It isn't like its easy to pick up either, its a years worth of crap!!! My landlord even admitted to me on the phone that she had not picked it up in a year!!! :rolleyes: :mad:

lizbud
02-12-2007, 06:58 PM
That is discusting. If she doesn't want to do it herself, she should hire
someone to do it. It wouldn't be safe for your dogs. I scoop year round
and could not live around someone who didn't take care to scoop after
their dogs. Yuck. :rolleyes:

I think I'd tell her I would hire someone, myself & deduct that amount
from your next monthly payment to her. I'll bet she gets her butt in gear
then. :p

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:00 PM
It isn't cold anymore though, I tried to pick it up.. I was out there for an HOUR and only got a quarter of it before I gave up... It isn't like its easy to pick up either, its a years worth of crap!!! My landlord even admitted to me on the phone that she had not picked it up in a year!!! :rolleyes: :mad:
tell her you will send the vet bill to have your dogs tested for parasites.. etc.. roflmbo! Then see how fast she shows up..

applesmom
02-12-2007, 07:02 PM
You have every right to be angry. That's disgusting and unhealthy! :eek:

But I agree with borzoimom. It's unsanitary; don't wait for the landlady to do it. If you can't do it yourself, hire someone to do it and present her with the bill. Or just deduct the costs from next months rent!

cassiesmom
02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
tell her you will send the vet bill to have your dogs tested for parasites.. etc.. roflmbo! Then see how fast she shows up..

And how! That was the same thing I thought of - I hope the previous dog wasn't passing anything contagious in its stool. My parents' previous next-door neighbors had two Rottweilers and they never "scooped up" - in the summer, the odor got so bad that the health department and animal control were called out.

Hire someone to do it and have the bill sent to your landlord. If she doesn't pay it, deduct it from your rent. You should not have to clean up after the previous tenant's dog.

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
You have every right to be angry. That's disgusting and unhealthy! :eek:

But I agree with borzoimom. It's unsanitary; don't wait for the landlady to do it. If you can't do it yourself, hire someone to do it and present her with the bill. Or just deduct the costs from next months rent!
THATS EVEN BETTER- LET HER HIRE SOMEONE to clean up the yard..

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I just might do that ... I dont want to have to get my dogs on a leash everytime they need to go out for a pee... ugh But I cant let them lose in the backyard... This stinks.

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
I just might do that ... I dont want to have to get my dogs on a leash everytime they need to go out for a pee... ugh But I cant let them lose in the backyard... This stinks.
You get warm weather, round worms, whip worms etc even worse -PARVO will get into the ground... you tell her that, and my email is on my website- I am more than willing to fill her in REALLLLLLLLLLLLLL QUICK... lol..

sabies
02-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Sorry you have to deal with this crap :( (sorry for the pun too :( but I couldn't resist).

I agree - have her pay to clean it up or deduct it from rent. If it's not too late take some before pictures. The potential for disease mentioned here makes a real good argument on why she should pay and at least she obviously knows she has neglected the yard!

applesmom
02-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Photos. Great idea! If you have photos for documentation it would help a lot if she refuses to reimburse you or deduct the costs from the rent.

Freedom
02-12-2007, 07:45 PM
As a renter, you have several options which you could explore. Check with your local city / town government, find out about renters' rights. explain the situation. Normally, you can't just withhold an amount of a bill from rent without ending up in trouble yourself.

This may easily be a health issue, which requires her to fix it asap.

But if you find out where things stand, without filing a complaint, this can give you a stronger argument to present to her to do something now, or to let you get it done and deduct the amount from a rent payment.

Landlords have certain responsibilities. What was she gonna do if the new tenant had kids????? Or was she not renting to them, which isn't legal but not your concern now. I'm just pointing out that this is why you may have some legal support in your corner.

You should be able to find out most of what you need to know by phone, so you can keep moving on this.

pitc9
02-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I think I'd tell her I would hire someone, myself & deduct that amount
from your next monthly payment to her. I'll bet she gets her butt in gear
then. :p

GREAT idea!!

I would make sure it's picked up before your pups catch anything they may have left behind!

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Also- after its picked up, I would spray a bleach diluted in the yard and let it set up for 48 hours.. There are also several good kennel sprays that will kill the parvo virus that also has a parasite germicide as well.. Read the directions how long the dogs have to stay off the sprays.

cyber-sibes
02-13-2007, 09:48 AM
As a renter, you have several options which you could explore. Check with your local city / town government, find out about renters' rights. explain the situation. Normally, you can't just withhold an amount of a bill from rent without ending up in trouble yourself.

This may easily be a health issue, which requires her to fix it asap.

But if you find out where things stand, without filing a complaint, this can give you a stronger argument to present to her to do something now, or to let you get it done and deduct the amount from a rent payment.

Landlords have certain responsibilities. What was she gonna do if the new tenant had kids????? Or was she not renting to them, which isn't legal but not your concern now. I'm just pointing out that this is why you may have some legal support in your corner.

You should be able to find out most of what you need to know by phone, so you can keep moving on this.Great advice! You surely don't need to get into any kind of personal hassle with your landlord. You've already talked with her and it hasn't done any good. Find out if the local Animal or Health Dept. will handle it if she won't.
I get so annoyed with people at our dog park that don't pick up either. I always worry that Parvo will end up in the ground, as there have been occasional outbreaks of it here.