PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training mini schauzer

catskeno
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi! I am new to this sight. This is my first "little" dog. We also have 2 "big big" dogs and I had no trouble with the potty training. Now I have a miniature
female schauzer, Sophie, 13 weeks old. She sometimes goes on the paper and sometimes not. I take her outside and she won't pee or poop until we get back in the house and then usually on the carpet or floor, not the paper. Any suggestions? Catskeno

TFTpwnsYou
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I did house training with the little dogs the same as I did with the big ones. Never used piddle pads or anything with them. Although I did have the luxery of getting puppies in the warmer months so if I had to stand outside for 20 mins. for the pup to go outside to get he praise and treat I waited. It really didn't take much effort and was fairly quick and easy. They learned pretty quick I get a "no!" when I go in the house and a "good boy" and treat out here.

applesmom
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
There are always warning signals before a healthy dog or pup goes pee or poop. Watch for the telltale signs such as sniffing, circling or beginning to squat.

At the first sign, take her outside, and don't take her back inside until she takes care of business. Also take her outside the instant she wakes from a nap and shortly after she's been fed. When she's outside and she squats to pee or poop, tell her immediately to "go potty" (or whatever command you choose to use.)

Once you're sure she's completely finished; praise her.

If you are 100 percent consistent; she'll be going on command in no time.

Consistency and continuous supervision are all it takes! Without those ingredients it's pure luck if a dog becomes fully housetrained!

Freedom
02-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Here is some info which may give you ideas.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/puppy3.html

Small dogs take a bit longer to learn, and need to go out more often, than large breeds.

Best wishes to you and your pet!

And welcome to Pet Talk! Tell us about your dogs, and post pictures (hint hint!)