PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of American Accent do you have?

Danegirl2208
02-10-2007, 06:19 PM
http://gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

I got the West..which is right on.. i lived in California most of my life and am in Arizona now :)

"Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."

dogzr#1
02-10-2007, 06:25 PM
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I want to have an accent! I think it would be so cool to have one!

animal_rescue
02-10-2007, 06:41 PM
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm from Northern Indiana... so maybe just a little close?

davidpizzica
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I have a Pittsburgh accent! As a matter of fact, I believe we have our own language. We say phrases like "reading up a room", "Slippy" as in a slippy snow covered road, "telepole",for telephone pole, "gumbans", for rubber bands, "pop", for soda, and the ever popular "yinz", for you people. There are a lot more.

Karen
02-10-2007, 06:57 PM
No surprise here - Boston accent, it says. But real Bostonians sound different than I do, as I don't drop Rs like the broader accented ones do.

kuhio98
02-10-2007, 07:00 PM
You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Sometimes people tell me they think I have an accent and ask me where I'm from. I tell them that I've lived in Scotland, Taiwan, Pakistan, Turkey, California and Alaska. But, they swear I have a "southern" accent. It must be all these years married to an "Okie". :p

I guess the Midland accent is from my parents -- who are both from southern Illinois.

angelbow20
02-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Im Midland. and well actually im from pennsylvania so it was right! :)

davidpizzica
02-10-2007, 07:17 PM
According to the quiz, I have a Boston accent! Not too bad considering I was born and raised in Pitsburgh. I guess people in Pittsburgh and Boston have the same accent.

critter crazy
02-10-2007, 07:24 PM
What American accent do you have? Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

borzoimom
02-10-2007, 07:26 PM
The south- borderline was West right behind it...

cmayer31
02-10-2007, 07:35 PM
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Yup, Southern California born and raised. Sadly, I don't think SoCal surfers have accents though; maybe different vocab, but that's it dude. :D

Pembroke_Corgi
02-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I have a midland accent:

Your Result: The Midland

Not surprising since I spent most of my life in Iowa!

jenluckenbach
02-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard

HA!!! I never realized I had a Philly accent (But I DO live very close to Philadelphia)

jazzcat
02-10-2007, 07:51 PM
The South

That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.

How true it is! :rolleyes:

borzoimom
02-10-2007, 08:12 PM
The South

That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it.

How true it is! :rolleyes:
AMEN!! But west was pretty high on the scale behind it.. YA'ALL... LOL

Freedom
02-10-2007, 08:18 PM

I think that makes sense based on all the moving I've done all over. First 20 years or so I had a strong Boston accent, then I moved and got taunted and teased and reallyworked to soften it. Guess I succeeded!

Christiansmommy
02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Being that I lived 20 minutes from Philly most of my life...that is right on. I am a Jersey girl!! :) Close enough to Philly!!

I went on a cruise for my honeymoon and was told that my accent was "stronger" than my husbands. Which I guess is true ( he grew up a little more morth than me)...but I had never thought of myself as having an accent. Especially since the girl telling me this was as southern as southern can get!! :)

Chilli
02-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Your Result: Boston

You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.

Odd, seeing as I was born and raised in Arkansas. :D The South was 5th on the list.

buttercup132
02-10-2007, 08:43 PM

Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

I took it even though I am Canadian and what do you know it said I was.:p

DrKym
02-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Mine said Inland North, see all that money I spent so I wont sound southern, and instead I sound Wisconsin :confused: .............. :rolleyes:

prechrswife
02-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Mine says Midland, but South was a close second, and South is much more accurate.

Pam
02-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Philadelphia accent for me! No surprise there as I was born in Philly and lived in the area (now in South NJ-- right over the bridge) all my life. :)

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

slick
02-10-2007, 09:14 PM
What??? There's different accents???? :eek: You all sound the same to me. ;)

RICHARD
02-10-2007, 09:19 PM
What??? There's different accents???? :eek: You all sound the same to me. ;)

Ya gut that right, eh! ;)

Daisy and Delilah
02-10-2007, 09:21 PM
SOUTHERN

I'm shocked at this. Everybody always asks me if I'm from New York or New Jersey? :)

Karen
02-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Daisy & Delilah - I bet that has to do with how fast you talk, not the accent itself, as we NorthEasterners tend to talk much more quickly than "real" Floridians I have known!

Pam
02-10-2007, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=Daisy and Delilah

Everybody always asks me if I'm from New York or New Jersey? :)[/QUOTE]

And just to further confuse the issue, Southern New Jerseyans sounds completely different than Northern New Jerseyans. Northern NJ folks sound more like New Yawkers! :p

Cinder & Smoke
02-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Me? = Midland

Try this Quiz on for size ~ "How Pittsburgh are you?"

http://gotoquiz.com/how_pittsburgh_are_you

Boy, we *aced* that one 100% !!

:D

Daisy and Delilah
02-10-2007, 09:50 PM
This is so interesting! :) We have such a melting pot in Florida, alot of the time, it's hard to tell where anybody is from. Some native Floridians I know have no accent at all and some have a southern drawl :D

Flatcoatluver
02-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I got North central.
I am not even close to Minnesota!

Laura's Babies
02-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Ah hem.... It's the SUNNY South folks!

davidpizzica
02-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Me? = Midland

Phred, Yinz better believe I aced that one! 100% Pittsburgh!

Suki Wingy
02-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Midland, I'm good for TV or radio apperently!

Danegirl2208
02-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Me? = Midland

LMAO i took that one just for fun:

You are 11% Pittsburgh.

Jeez-o-man! That's an awful score. You know nothing about Picksburgh. You're probably also a Dallas Cowboys fan. You're just not cut out for this quiz. I guess it's just a Burgh thing

haha well considering i've never been to Pittsburgh, i'd say thats right on..uh, except for the cowboys part ROFLMAO ;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-11-2007, 02:38 AM
I was born in PA but moved to S.C. when I was 8 years old and lived there until I was 19 years old. Then I moved to CA and have been here ever since except for when I went to college in S.C. In S.C. everyone thought that I had a northern accent and in CA a lot of people still think that I have a southern accent.

My results:

Miss Z
02-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Ha ha, I did this purely out of interest to see what a Lancastrian accent would sound like with an Ameican twang! For all the questions, I answered that none of the words are pronounced the same and it seemed really odd to me that someone would pronounce stock (stok) and stalk (stork) the same, or how 'on' could rhyme with dawn (dorn)! :p

I got a Northeastern accent, cool!

buttercup132
02-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Ha ha, I did this purely out of interest to see what a Lancastrian accent would sound like with an Ameican twang! For all the questions, I answered that none of the words are pronounced the same and it seemed really odd to me that someone would pronounce stock (stok) and stalk (stork) the same, or how 'on' could rhyme with dawn (dorn)! :p

I got a Northeastern accent, cool!While I was doing it I was thinking to myself how could anyone say these different they sound the same! Most of the words sounded the same for me.

Pam
02-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Me? = Midland

Phred, I couldn't even begin to guess at an answer to most of them. I guess I am 0% Pittsburgh. LOL!

Miss Z
02-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Heh heh, I just did the 'How English are you?' and got 100%. I have to say though that the quiz was extremely biased as I rarely drink tea and I prefer my scones only with cream and no jam. :p

I also did the Welsh one and I'm 74% Welsh, so does that make me 174% British? :D

Cincy'sMom
02-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Midland accent here. I wonder why it says Southern Ohio? I think there is more of an accent there in Northern Ohio.

As for the PIttsburgh quiz, never been there, but got a 97%!! I guess I have enough friends fromthere to understand the talk?

Ginger's Mom
02-11-2007, 08:55 AM
100% Philadelphia. :D
I was very amused by your result, buttercup (some people may mistake you for Canadian, lol).

davidpizzica
02-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Midland accent here. I wonder why it says Southern Ohio? I think there is more of an accent there in Northern Ohio.

As for the PIttsburgh quiz, never been there, but got a 97%!! I guess I have enough friends fromthere to understand the talk?
Cincy'sMom, I think that would qualify you as an honorary citizen of Pittsburgh or Da 'burgh!

PJ's Mom
02-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Your Result: The Inland North
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I live in Texas. Go figure. :p

Randi
02-11-2007, 10:21 AM
I took the test for fun. This is my result: LOL!

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia

The Inland North

The Midland

The South

Boston

The West

North Central

In the one Phred posted, I'd need some " Don't know" answers. ;)

finn's mom
02-11-2007, 10:27 AM
This isn't surprising at all. :) I got South, with Midland immediately after it! I wasn't sure if it would come up Midland or South. But, people never guess I'm from the South, they either think California or the Midlands (my mother's from Illinois, my biological father hailed from Indiana and my step dad is from Maine). I moved from the South at thirteen, and have been in Germany, Washington, Virginia, Texas and South Carolina ever since. My accent's all over the place, y'all! ;)

cassiesmom
02-11-2007, 10:47 AM
'Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop." '

Here is a little lesson in Chicagospeak; it's true! The only thing it's missing is "carkies" which you put into the door to unlock, and the ignition to start your automobile.
http://www.seanparnell.com/Chicago/Chicagoese.htm

Edwina's Secretary
02-11-2007, 12:04 PM

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I have learned to speak a little of the local dialect here in SoCal (have eliminated "pop" as reference to....well pop...) but I slipped the other day. Lost once again, I stopped at a gas station and asked about the "espressway." "What's an expressway???" was the answer. (of course with the traffic here it is easy to understand why the term isn't used.)

And Cassie...that Chicago dictionary is also missing "by" as in...I went by my mother's house last night. (Non-Chicagoans would say I went to my mother's house...)

k9krazee
02-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Inland North!!

lizbud
02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I have a midland accent:

Your Result: The Midland

Same here. I was born in Indianapolis. :) I have been told I have a southern accent, but I don't think so. Southern Indiana maybe. :)

dukedogsmom
02-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Mine is midwestern which is really strange since I'm from Tennessee and moved to Florida when I was nine. Wonder why?

GreyhoundGirl
02-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Ha ha, I did this purely out of interest to see what a Lancastrian accent would sound like with an Ameican twang!

I got a Northeastern accent, cool!

Me too! I didn't even know how to pronounce most of the words. lol that's probably why... :p

Funny... Québec/russian wasn't an option. haha. :p

Zara... I did it for the exact same reason. lol!

Felicia's Mom
02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Inland North.

Crayons09
02-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I got North Central and I'm from Minnesota. Thats so cool.

angelbow20
02-11-2007, 07:38 PM
http://gotoquiz.com/how_pa_are_you

for everyone thats from Pa. or even if your not from pa....

BitsyNaceyDog
02-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Pretty close, I grew up in upstate New York.

sirrahved
02-12-2007, 07:33 AM
My result: The inland north.

Yes, I DO drink pop, but so does everyone in Fort Wayne, and they do in Western Nebraska, too.

Spinoff post to follow!

Jods
02-12-2007, 09:14 AM
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

Twisterdog
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Your Result: The West

Makes sense, since I have lived in Wyoming or Colorado almost all my life.

dab_20
02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
The West. Hmmm... well I live in the west right now... but everyone here tells me my accent is definatly northern. Maybe a little of both?

lvpets2002
02-12-2007, 12:45 PM
:) For sure "Taxiin" {texcan} with of Course Southern hospitality.. :D

Blue_Frog
02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/bluefrog_ca/Misc/accent.jpg

huh... I guess i have a Canadian Accent, eh?!
What aboot that!

Queen of Poop
02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Well my fellow Canadians, guess we all sound the same. I took the test and just about fell out of my chair laughing when it said North Central - probably mistaken for a Canadian. This was fun, thanks.

GreyhoundGirl
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Well my fellow Canadians, guess we all sound the same. I took the test and just about fell out of my chair laughing when it said North Central - probably mistaken for a Canadian. This was fun, thanks.

Haha... that's funny... I got northeastern and I'm in Eastern Canada :P

Rachel
02-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Well, they couldn't have pegged me any better than the Inland North since I grew up in Wisconsin and live in the Chicago suburbs. But they really got me with that first sentence.

slick
02-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.....

:D :D ...and you guys laughed at the way I say "about"...eh???