PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Cats - A comment

mrspunkysmom
02-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I just thought I would comment on today's Feb. 10 COTD - (http://catoftheday.com/archive/2007/February/10.html) see also Sammy's Thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=121766) - pushing the food bowl . He probably made it fall once and decided the mess was not worth it. Rather than freak out, he learned from the experience. (The NERD in me is always observing these things.)

It is my opinion that cats (and dogs, too?) are at a critical point in their evolution. They are learning new behaviors and adapting in ways that is not dictated by instinct. They are thinking. Much of this comes from association with us. These adaptions range from interesting food choices to learning new behaviors and tasks such as eating with their front paws, opening doors, etc. Spunky will wait until I get out the step stool so that he can climb easier.

Anne

barncat
02-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I've always thought cats in general are smarter than people in general.... just smart in different ways! If cats and dogs are learning from people (I hope they AREN'T learning some things!) , maybe there is hope that people might learn something more from them... things like joy in the moment, loyalty, unconditional love and honesty to name a few.

kb2yjx
02-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I just posted under Cat Behaviour under the thread about opening doors. My Bridge boys, Spunky and Ralph would open the 'fridge and freezer doors. Ralph figured out how to open the sliding closet doors. I would watch in amazement how they did this. I have come to the comclusion that cats are pretty smart! I truly miss those two characters!!!!

kb2yjx
02-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I just posted under Cat Behaviour under the thread about opening doors. My Bridge boys, Spunky and Ralph would open the 'fridge and freezer doors. Ralph figured out how to open the sliding closet doors. I would watch in amazement how they did this. I have come to the conclusion that cats are pretty smart! I truly miss those two characters!!!!

catmandu
02-10-2007, 07:16 PM
And Joseph Knows The Word Treats And Its Implications.
And No Matter Where I Am, If I Cut A Piece Of Cheese, Scrappy 2 And Precious Suddenly Materialize.

smokey the elder
02-11-2007, 07:22 AM
I think polydactyly is cats evolving opposable thumbs! The fact that it's a dominant gene...hmm. :p