PDA

View Full Version : I feel a cold coming on.....

RobiLee
02-10-2007, 10:35 AM
I feel a cold coming on. My throat is scratchy and my head is starting to feel a bit stuffy and my body is starting to feel run down. What do you guys take or do to prevent a cold?

I'm still trying to learn my new job and this is the last thing I need. Help!

Freedom
02-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Could actually be the stress of the new job; even if you are LOVING IT!

I normally just take aspirin or Tylenol and sleep it off.

Freckles
02-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Try Airborne Formula.

borzoimom
02-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Get some Zinc lozenges ( also found in cold eese) and eat like 5 the first day. This zinc kills the bacteria in the soft pallet, and usually kicks it before it even starts. Also increase vitamin C.

Karen
02-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I'd drink a lot of orange juice (until I became allergic to OJ), and you can get the zinc/magnesium tablets at the pharmacy - Cold-Eez or something like that, that lessens the srength and duration of the cold.

Daisy and Delilah
02-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I have exactly the same thing since last night. I'm taking aspirin for the sore throat/aches and spraying my throat with....I think it's Chloraseptic?? Does that sound right? Anyway, I'm already feeling better. I hope you can shake it, Robin :)

cyber-sibes
02-10-2007, 11:20 AM
When I feel it coming on I take some Airborne or generic like that. If I have cold, I take Alka Seltzer Cold, usually only use 1 tablet per dose, unless I'm really stuffy. And nothing helps like a hot shower & early to bed! (snuggling with your puppies is also very helpful ;) )

lizbud
02-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I usually just try to get more sleep & take naps when the run down
feeling kicks in. I do try to drink more fluids. Hot drinks like tea, cocoa
or even hot soups are good too. Hope you can shake the icky feeling. :)

RedHedd
02-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Extra Vitamin C, Ecchinacea/Goldenseal combo. Chicken soup also works and try slowing down, taking naps, in general be gentle with yourself so your body can knock the cold out.

kuhio98
02-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Try Airborne Formula.YES! This has saved me many times.

slick
02-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Try Airborne Formula.
Yes, here too. In fact, you can't buy this up in Canada - at least not in my neck of the woods. It works so well that I had Gini ship some to me. :)

CathyBogart
02-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Another vote for Airborne! Also...It sounds wierd, but I read this in a book I got a few years ago and it does seem to help....add a tablespoon, maybe two, of mustard powder to a bath.

DrKym
02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Comfrey, feverfew and fennel are also very good for colds. As is garlic and honey. Be careful with Echinacea as it is an immune system "booster" if you have immune issues (lupus, crohns, any other auto immune diseases you will do more damage than good). If you have a normal immune system, then it can be very effective! Goldenseal is very good also same contraindications there though.
An excellent tea to brew and sip on for a cold:

1tsp feverfew
1tsp rosehip powder/or 6 hips
1finely chopped garlic clove

2 cups water simmer for 10 minutes allow to cool to drinking temp add honey to taste and sip 1/2 cup every hour.

Just my 2 cents
hope you feel better
Kym

Kfamr
02-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I always take echinacea and Vitamin C tablets when I feel a cold coming on.

I've also heard Airborne works wonders.

shais_mom
02-10-2007, 10:55 PM
echinicea or zinc lozenges and lot of OJ!

<3 to you!

RobiLee
02-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Ok guys, I'm embarrassed to say that I have never heard of echinicea. What is it and where do I find it? Is it some kind of supplement? I'm going to go to church this morning and thought I would try to find some while I'm out. I'm still feeling a bit yucky. I had some zinc and cold eez here so I have been using those.

Thanks for all the tips!

Daisy and Delilah
02-11-2007, 09:29 AM
You can buy it at Wal-Mart or any place that sells vitamins, Robin. Grocery stores have it. I woke up this morning aching much worse and I coughed through the night. I need to go in a load up on some extra vitamins!! I hope you get better! :)