PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree commercial on Animal Planet :(

AdoreMyDogs
02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
This commercial makes me cry every time they play it. Sofar I've only seen it on the Animal Planet, not sure if it airs on other channels, but it's a very moving commercial. It's the one about shelter dogs and it starts off saying "I know how to sit, how to fetch, and how to roll over. What I don't know is how I ended up in here"

Anyone else see this commercial? It's really sad. Makes me want to adopt another dog, but that won't happen for a long time. 2 dogs is perfect.

pitc9
02-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Yes, I've seen it and it makes me cry everytime! :(
I hope it touches the hearts of every person that sees it, not just animal lovers!

Pam
02-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Leslie I have seen it several times on many different channels. For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxOtp4vDJQ

I would love to see more dog food makers offering to provide money to shelter dogs. I hope others will follow along. For those who maybe don't think they'd personally like to feed their dogs Pedigree, I would just like to say that I would rather see a dog be adopted and fed Pedigree than the alternative. :( When I was a child growing up, my parents weren't at all into researching good dog foods but all of my childhood dogs were healthy and loved and that is really all that matters.

AdoreMyDogs
02-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Leslie I have seen it several times on many different channels. For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxOtp4vDJQ

I would love to see more dog food makers offering to provide money to shelter dogs. I hope others will follow along. For those who maybe don't think they'd personally like to feed their dogs Pedigree, I would just like to say that I would rather see a dog be adopted and fed Pedigree than the alternative. :( When I was a child growing up, my parents weren't at all into researching good dog foods but all of my childhood dogs were healthy and loved and that is really all that matters.

I couldn't agree more. Wow, you'd think after seeing that commercial as many times as I've seen it, it wouldn't make me cry every time...but it STILL does. It's a great commercial. It really is moving and I am sure it has helped adopt shelter dogs. It's even made me ponder getting a 3rd dog, but because of the baby, I won't do it.

Taz_Zoee
02-10-2007, 11:36 AM
You know, I have seen that commercial...but seeing it again...the tears began flowing!!!
I'd love to get another dog, but the boyfriend is the one that works from home and would have to care for it the most. And he's not willing to do that at this time. :(
Maybe someday!!

borzoimom
02-10-2007, 11:40 AM
The commercial is touching- but I would rather donate- and wouldnt buy the food. At the current time, there is no way to do that, and it appears to me this is like a guilt trip- if you want to help homeless dogs- buy this food to help ... Its like coherision...

lizbud
02-10-2007, 12:06 PM
The commercial is touching- but I would rather donate- and wouldnt buy the food. At the current time, there is no way to do that, and it appears to me this is like a guilt trip- if you want to help homeless dogs- buy this food to help ... Its like coherision...

No it is not coercion, it is a plea to help Shelter dogs. There are plenty
of Shelters that would be thrilled to recieve your money to help them, help
dogs. I believe this company's commercial points out the NEED and I thank
them for doing it.

borzoimom
02-10-2007, 12:19 PM
them for doing it.
I donate to 3 local shelters- it just feels like to me, if I, as a owner, do not buy this food- I am going to let the dogs die... " I just do not know how I got here" ...Even if they said " for those without pets maybe donate by calling 1-800..." given those that do not purchase this food- a chance to do so without saying words of " for those that would not feed this food- you may donate by calling... " etc..

CathyBogart
02-10-2007, 01:02 PM
It inspired me to take the toys Jasper doesn't play with(quite a few) and some towels and blankets down to the shelter. It does tug at the heartstrings (or yank at them), but I don't find it manipulative.

Kalei
02-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I watched it and it is very sad, I held tears back. I am the same as all of you, I hope too that this touches the hearts of some people that may not think of adopting dogs from shelters.

Ginger's Mom
02-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I was amused to see this thread. Yes, I agree totally. It makes me sad everytime I see it. And I really agree with Lizbud, it does not make me think of buying Pedigree at all, it makes me think of donating to a shelter. I think if they were trying to sell food they missed their mark. But, hopefully, it will move people to make donations that wouldn't have thought about it otherwise.

borzoimom
02-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I was amused to see this thread. Yes, I agree totally. It makes me sad everytime I see it. And I really agree with Lizbud, it does not make me think of buying Pedigree at all, it makes me think of donating to a shelter. I think if they were trying to sell food they missed their mark. But, hopefully, it will move people to make donations that wouldn't have thought about it otherwise.

awwwwwwwwwwwww.. I see ( light bulb).. so you are saying instead of looking at the commercial as someone that wants to feed the rest to their dog, go just simply raise awareness of shelter dogs for a pet- and that pedigree is trying to help... ( " I see" says the blind man...)

cyber-sibes
02-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I think it's a very pro-active commercial to raise awareness of the plight of shelter dogs- sad, yes, but true. I't's refreshing to see a dog food company be upfront & tell the story of the adult shelter dogs. So many times commercials feature adorable little puppies....who grow up into dogs who sometimes find themselves homeless once they're "not as cute as a puppy". I applaud their efforts.

kallisto4529
02-10-2007, 08:28 PM
yes i have seen it as well and not just on animal planet, breaks my heart everytime i see it!!!!!! I want another dog so badly but bei-jing our cat is enjoying so much being the only baby after 14yrs that we just cant bring ourselves to ruin things for her right now..lol she is just blossoming loving having all the attention to herself.

Daisy and Delilah
02-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I saw this commercial about 5 times before I knew what company was involved. As a matter of fact, I think I became aware that it was Pedigree, through another thread about it here on Pet Talk. The fact that it was a dog food company, never crossed my mind. The only thing I was affected by was how heartbreaking this situation is. I can't watch it without crying either.

I believe the message these people are trying to convey is the harsh reality of the state of shelter dogs in this world. If you visit their website at pedigree.com, it's quite evident.

Since this commercial started airing, I've gotten emails from three of my friends/relatives. All of which were so touched by this commercial, they are seriously thinking about adopting a shelter dog in the very near future. One of them is my sister and she is planning a trip to her local shelter this week. I don't think the fact that, it's Pedigree backing it, has a whole lot to do with it's main intention.

luvofallhorses
02-10-2007, 08:43 PM
them for doing it.

ditto!

whomeee
02-12-2007, 06:45 PM
It is a very sad commerical it is good that Pedigree is doing this it helps get the word out

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
:( I hav'nt seen that comercial before this, and wow.. I cried.. Thats touching, even though I would NEVER feed pedigree to my dogs..

sabies
02-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I've seen this commercial and I didn't know it was pedigree. That's not good from a marketing perspective but maybe they are really just concerned about dogs. The images that stick in my mind are the faces of the pups and all I can think is oh how cute, I want to give you a home. I hope it makes people realize wow shelter dogs are really cute and sweet let's go there for a dog.

bckrazy
02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I definitely DO feel it's a touching commercial... me and my friends were talking about it a few days ago. And more companies should absolutely do the same.

However, the bottom-line here IS a money-making ploy, whether their intentions seem good or not. "Buy this food... and we'll donate some of it to shelters." Honestly, you know if they were just doing this to help shelter dogs, they would donate anyway... they would just put out a commercial urging people to adopt, instead of plastering their company name all over it.

And, in the end, I cannot even force myself to give Pedigree props - because any dog food that lies like they do, sells the bare minimum (basically) of nutrition in their kibble, & makes as much money for as little quality as their product has, but still claims they are "for dogs"... just can't pass as reputable, IMO.

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Omg- Pedigree Just Said That If You Log On To Pedigree, You Can Give Without Buying The Food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Thats What I Wanted To Hear!!!! You Can Donate Without Buying The Food!!!

elizabethann
02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Omg- Pedigree Just Said That If You Log On To Pedigree, You Can Give Without Buying The Food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was pretty cool of them.

borzoimom
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
That was pretty cool of them.
ITS ABOUT TIME!!! That has been my rant since day one!

Miss Z
02-13-2007, 05:26 AM
I wish they'd show that advert over here, the shelters over here could do with some financing too. That advert makes me want to go back to the shelter I volunteer at and hug all the dogs, and maybe even apologise to them for all the suffering human kind has caused them :(

lute
02-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I just saw this commercial. It's so sad. My dad and I had to go hug Bruce and tell him he wasn't going back to the shelter anymore.

I'm sooo happy you can donate without having to buy the food! There is no way I'll ever buy this food!

cassiesmom
03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/living/chi-070228dogadoption-html,1,5560583.htmlstory?coll=chi-homepagenews-utl

It turned me into Jell-O every time I saw it.