PDA

View Full Version : Westminster

3GSDMom
02-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Tomorrow I am leaving for New York for the Westminster Dog Show I'll be back on the 15th. And I just found out that while we are in New York, he's (my father) taking me to see The Lion King on Broadway! Let me tell you...The Lion King is my FAVORITE movie. I've loved it since I was little (when it came out).

I'm going to take a bunch of pictures of every breed/dog I see. I'm also going to take pictures at various parts of New York that I visit.

So I'll definetly have a lot to share with you all when I get back I'm not so nervous about flying anymore, we are picking up a bunch of magazines for me, I'm bringing a GSD book, my ipod and Nintendo DS to keep me busy. Its only a 5 hour flight so it really isn't that bad. (Same distance it took for us to fly from our home in Hawaii to over here in California)
Any breed picture requests? (Besides GSDs....thats a given ). I'm already going to be taking photos of every breed I see, but if there are certain breeds you'd like pictures of I can keep my eye out for them. (Or even certain dogs)

DrKym
02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Dobies :D

I am so excited for you! Westminster is an amazing show to go see!

borzoimom
02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
BORZOIS.. lol..

3GSDMom
02-09-2007, 04:46 PM
BORZOIS.. lol..

Ooh, I have to go to the other post and write down those names you mentioned before!

theterrierman
02-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I would be absolutely thrilled if you could get me some photos of Brittanys and Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens

Canis-Lupess
02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Take photos of Border collies too pweeeze!!!! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I already mentioned it in the other thread, but I'd love to see a Toller picture or two! (preferably of ones with pinkish pigment/noses, not black - but that's not too important). Have fun!

Riptide
02-09-2007, 05:34 PM
LUCKY! I wanna go :c

Could you please take some pictures of the shelties? :D

chocolatepuppy
02-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Wow, I hope you have a great time! I would love to see many GSDs but how about a few Collies and Newfies? Have fun! :D

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2007, 05:51 PM
I saw Lion King off-Broadway here in San Fransisco and it was great! My boyfriend even liked it. You will love it!!

A picture of an Aussie would be cool too! :D

Have fun!!

elizabethann
02-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Border Terriers please. :D

*LabLoverKEB*
02-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Ooooh! Sounds like you are going to have a BLAST!!! Take lots of pictures....
Oh, for the pics request:
Maltese
Labrador Retriever
Golden Retriever

Thanks, and have fun!

buttercup132
02-09-2007, 06:37 PM
I'd love to go to Westminster one year! Could you get some pictures of Great Danes and Chinese Cresteds (Hairless):)

cassiesmom
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Are you going again this year? Could you take a picture of the Papillon, if you are? (I saw a commercial on USA last night with lots of different dogs that had me laughing - the music is that song "I'm too sexy for my shirt" with all kinds of dogs!)

Sparklecoon
01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I shall request pics of cockers (american) and Irish Wolfhounds.

Husky_mom
01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Any breed picture requests? (Besides GSDs....thats a given ).

HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !!
HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !!
HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !! HUSKIES !!

hope I made myself clear ;)

I really envy you!! Good luck, safe trip and please please please take extra memories and batteries.....we´d love to see million pics whenyou get back

Oh and if you see any brindle Bull terriers please take a pic of them too will ya ;)

Husky_mom
01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
LMAO!!! so bad!!!....... I just realized it´s an old thread revived....LOL

but if anyone is going the above request is the same :p ;)

Ginger's Mom
01-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Actually, I am going this year (Finally,yay!!!). But, I am only going on Tuesday. I will check to see which groups are being shown, and will do my best to get pictures of all of the beautiful dogs there. It only took years to finally get there, lol. :D Anyone else going? Ashley?

cassiesmom
01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
LMAO!!! so bad!!!....... I just realized it´s an old thread revived....LOL

but if anyone is going the above request is the same :p ;)

Isabel, I am sooooo...
Sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry
sorry!

3GSDMom
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Im not going to make it this year :(
Hopefully next year though!

Anyone who's going this year...if you see Zane [Ch. Rowland's Cezanne of Imp Cen] -GSD- please take pictures of him for me! He absolutely stole my heart last year when I met him.

Sevaede
01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Affenpinschers, Lundehunds, etc. :D

These shows seem to go in a sort of cascading way. Like, where do you go if you win at Westminster? What about the Eukanuba Tournament of Champions? I ask about Eukanuba because it is in Portland so I *might* be attending that show! :D

cassiesmom
01-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Bumping up an old thread....

The 2012 Westminster dog show is four weeks from today! I love to see all the dogs! One thing I love about the Westminster show is seeing all the different breeds, hearing the narrator describe them and a little about all they do -- whether doing farm work, herding, hunting, police and helper dogs or the ones that are small and adorable. I love when they introduce a new dog and the audience gives a big cheer. My mom and I usually watch it together and wish they all could win.

Karen
01-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Last week, I got to interview David Frei on my radio show! He's the Westminster announcer so I was very excited! I have his book, Angel on a Leash, and when I post the review on my blog, I'll let you all know.

cassiesmom
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
...starts one week from Monday with six new breeds this year! :D

cassiesmom
02-09-2012, 12:36 PM
starts Monday 2/13/12 !!

Karen
02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
I can't wait! I got to interview announcer David Frei on the radio show in January, and they were already getting busy getting ready!

JMCsGirl
02-09-2012, 11:24 PM
That would be very cool to see in real life! I love dog shows. If I run across one on television I have to stop and watch. I have to admit I am slightly jealous of the original poster even if her experience was several years ago.

lizbud
02-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I can't wait! I got to interview announcer David Frei on the radio show in January, and they were already getting busy getting ready!

Karen, I just read an article about the changing of sponsers of the show. They aren't going with Pedigree anymore
and are switching to Purina. Seems people don't want to be reminded of dogs needing rescue & the sad eyed ads
for them during the show. David Frei was quoted in the article.

http://www.wthr.com/story/16908507/wagging-tails-replace-sad-eyes-in-westminster-ads

Karen
02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Karen, I just read an article about the changing of sponsers of the show. They aren't going with Pedigree anymore
and are switching to Purina. Seems people don't want to be reminded of dogs needing rescue & the sad eyed ads
for them during the show. David Frei was quoted in the article.

http://www.wthr.com/story/16908507/wagging-tails-replace-sad-eyes-in-westminster-ads

Interesting, I know I watched that sad ad once, and then hit the 'skip" button every other time it came on, I am well aware of the adoption issue, and do not need reminding. And I have not bought dog food for many years, so it doesn't influence my purchasing one way or the other, nor would it!

lizbud
02-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Interesting, I know I watched that sad ad once, and then hit the 'skip" button every other time it came on, I am well aware of the adoption issue, and do not need reminding. And I have not bought dog food for many years, so it doesn't influence my purchasing one way or the other, nor would it!

Just wonder if the new sponser would continue donating $$$ for animal rescue the way Pedigree did.

cassiesmom
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I was at my mom and dad's house last evening and we were channel-surfing during a commercial break from the Grammy awards. Last year's Westminster show was being rerun on CNBC :) We saw the terriers and Best in Show. The Best in Show dogs ranged in size from the Pekingese to the winner, Scottish Deer Hound. We just enjoyed the diversity of the dogs- small and large, long and short coats, fluffy and sleek ones and all the different kinds of things they do. We're ready for this year! :D

pomtzu
02-13-2012, 09:32 AM
2012 T.V. schedule for those of you that don't already have the info:

Monday night 2/13
8-9 p.m. - USA channel
9-11 p.m. - CNBC

Tuesday night 2/14
8-11 p.m. - USA channel

Posted times are Eastern time. West Coast is time delayed so you left coasters will not see it live.

Grace
02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Adding to Ellie's post -

Monday -
Hound
Toy
Non Sporting
Herding

Tuesday
Sporting
Working
Terrier

Best In Show

wolf_Q
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM

Of course you don't need reminding.....but clearly lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people do considering how many animals are turned into shelters, killed in shelters, allowed to breed, etc. every single day. I think the commercials were well done, they should be there, and people do need to be reminded whether they want to be or not.

cassiesmom
02-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I was at my mom and dad's house last evening and we were channel-surfing during a commercial break from the Grammy awards. Last year's Westminster show was being rerun on CNBC :) We saw the terriers and Best in Show. The Best in Show dogs ranged in size from the Pekingese to the winner, Scottish Deer Hound. We just enjoyed the diversity of the dogs- small and large, long and short coats, fluffy and sleek ones and all the different kinds of things they do. We're ready for this year! :D

I learned something about Best in Show last night that I hadn't known before. The person who is judging Best in Show isn't there during the group judgings, of course. But the judge is told beforehand which breed has won each group, so he (or she) can review the standard for that particular breed prior to Best in Show. They know the 7 breeds they will see, but of course they don't know in advance which dog of that breed has won.

We were laughing last night because the little Pekingese was just so cute! And we thought the black Cocker Spaniel looked like he had bell-bottom pants on, the way his coat was styled. My mom and dad have a friend at church who has a cocker spaniel, but he doesn't have his coat styled in the same way. It's a lot shorter which I think must be much easier to comb.

HoochsMommiee
02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
i was watching the dog show last night n i told hubby i could never be a dog show jidge becuse i would pick out the ones i liked..n i would wanna take them all home

cassiesmom
02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
i was watching the dog show last night n i told hubby i could never be a dog show judge becuse i would pick out the ones i liked..n i would wanna take them all home

I said that to my mom last night! Just give me 7 blue ribbons and get out of my way while I give them to all these wonderful dogs -- and we'll call it a night!

Karen
02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Of course you don't need reminding.....but clearly lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people do considering how many animals are turned into shelters, killed in shelters, allowed to breed, etc. every single day. I think the commercials were well done, they should be there, and people do need to be reminded whether they want to be or not.

I just think they can be reminded with less sad pictures, and that the people watching Westminster likely already know ... we'll see what the Pedigree commercials are like. One can deliver a message in many different ways, after all. I will not see the show as it airs tonight, but am recording it so I can watch later - and unlike every other TV show, I usually so watch the commercials if they are animal-related!

Pinot's Mom
02-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Watching it now! :)

Freedom
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Watch it year after year. Always amazes me that David Frei finds something NEW to say, lol.

So far this year: the borzoi has a double suspension gait! Ha ha haaaa

That PBGV should have taken the Group.

Pinot's Mom
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
That PBGV should have taken the Group.

You think? I loved the Wirehaired Dachsund.

What's your toy vote?

Freedom
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Sorry I was off line.

I wanted the Affenpinscher for the Toy, but that is cuz he is from the next town over (Seekonk, Mass) and I love the little "Monkey Dog!" He heee

I wanted the Bichon for the Non-Sporting Group, I am sure you are quite surprised at that! I can't believe the Bichon didn't even make Group 4, though, he has been a high favorite on FB all day -- with my 800+ FB friends, lol. He was the fave to win the breed as well, in spite of the fact that 2 of the FB group owned 2 other bichons in the breed!

Varga
02-14-2012, 12:54 AM
I watched it tonight (husband nearly fell asleep, lol). I thought it was awesome that the Norwegian Lundehund is recognized by the AKC now. I've always found that breed fascinating and coming from a country with plenty of puffins, I can totally imagine how handy they would be with fetching puffins. I've never seen one back home though and as far as I know they have never used dogs for puffin hunting in the Faroes...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing the terriers tomorrow! :)

pomtzu
02-14-2012, 06:04 AM
I'm bummed - didn't get to see any except about the first 15 minutes of the hounds. Had a whopping headache, so took some Excedrin and laid down on the bed to watch, and next thing I know, it was 3:30 a.m. :(

cassiesmom
02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Did I hear correctly (during the piece about the Norwegian puffin dog) that dogs don't have clavicles? But the puffin dog does. I still can't quite wrap my head around that! Dogs don't have clavicles. But they have a rib cage, of course.

So there's a new dog fan at my mom and dad's house -- my dad! He was smiling and laughing right along with my mom and me. When the Xolo dog came on - The dog was in his stack as the judge examined him. My dad said the dog looked like an Aztec statue. My mom said he looked very serious and strong. His coat reminded me of fine leather.

My mom and dad have a neighbor who has two fluffy white dogs. After seeing the dog show last night I think they might be American Eskimo dogs. Their names are Lucy and Schroeder :) Lucy is a happy extrovert who lets me pet her every time I see them, but Schroeder is shy. They are beautiful! They get white dog hair all over my coat, but I don't have a problem with that!

Karen
02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Did I hear correctly (during the piece about the Norwegian puffin dog) that dogs don't have clavicles? But the puffin dog does. I still can't quite wrap my head around that! Dogs don't have clavicles. But they have a rib cage, of course.

Most breeds don't have clavicles, but the Norwegian Lundehund does, and it also has extra toes, which enable it to spread it's front legs further apart for better gripping and climbing on the rocks to hunt puffins. Puffins, those funny little birds, are now protected in Norway, so they don't get used for hunting any more, but they still retain those abilities!

IRescue452
02-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm watching it now because I had to dvr it due to work. My vote is on the cairn for the big win, even though terriers haven't been done yet. I was very disappointed by the german shepherd though. It had a terrible gait and at one point when they showed its mouth open it didn't look like its bite aligned right. How a breed that's bred to trip over its own feet to be of show standard becomes a grand champion is beyond me. I did like that briard though.

cassiesmom
02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Most breeds don't have clavicles, but the Norwegian Lundehund does, and it also has extra toes, which enable it to spread it's front legs further apart for better gripping and climbing on the rocks to hunt puffins. Puffins, those funny little birds, are now protected in Norway, so they don't get used for hunting any more, but they still retain those abilities!

The Lundehund seemed to have his front feet turned out a little bit, too. What a cutie!

And Captain and Monicanhonda -- I thought of you when I saw the dalmatian! :D

lizbud
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM

I agree 100% Amy. A event that features animals that we all love, the very best of the best ,who have all advantages humans can give them,
should also shine a little light on those animals less fortunate who lack even the basics of a good life.

I personally don't enjoy seeing pictures of starving children at Christmas time, or Thanksgiving either, but it's good to be reminded of those
less fortunate. They shouldn't be forgotten because it hurts us to see them.

Don't want to argue or ruin this thread, just wanted to say what I thought about redirecting the focus of the show by
changing sponsers. The end.

RICHARD
02-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Nuff said....;)

dab_20
02-14-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm watching it now because I had to dvr it due to work. My vote is on the cairn for the big win, even though terriers haven't been done yet. I was very disappointed by the german shepherd though. It had a terrible gait and at one point when they showed its mouth open it didn't look like its bite aligned right. How a breed that's bred to trip over its own feet to be of show standard becomes a grand champion is beyond me. I did like that briard though.

It's funny, because I actually noticed the Shepherds gait seemed a bit weird to me. :confused:

I enjoyed the dog show, watched it last night. LOVED that Dalmatian and its cute spots around each eye. The herding group has always been my favorite, they had some beautiful dogs!!

cassiesmom
02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
My guess for winner for Best in Show was wrong! I won't say which dog won, because I don't want to play the spoiler, but I didn't make the right pick. But it was a lot of fun to watch and try to guess which one the judge might choose.

Bonny
02-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I had very good intentions to stay awake till the very end. They were into the 2nd half of the terrier class & there was the advertisements so I thought I will just close my eyes for a little bit. I work up at 10:30 after the news & didn't find out till this morning on the Today show who the winner was.

IRescue452
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
I was wrong too. It wasn't the year of the cairn. Malachy is tough to beat. He's got so many best in shows. I feel bad when dogs with so many best in shows keep showing. Obviously he's a perfect example of the breed, but you can't keep a breeding line going with just one dog. After so many wins you should back down and let others win. Lots of breeders keep showing and showing once their dog has hundreds of wins though. Its the competition to be the top breeder rather than just to assure your dogs fit the standard.

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2012, 06:10 PM
I was wrong too. It wasn't the year of the cairn. Malachy is tough to beat. He's got so many best in shows. I feel bad when dogs with so many best in shows keep showing. Obviously he's a perfect example of the breed, but you can't keep a breeding line going with just one dog. After so many wins you should back down and let others win. Lots of breeders keep showing and showing once their dog has hundreds of wins though. Its the competition to be the top breeder rather than just to assure your dogs fit the standard.

I hate to put this on a monetary basis, but my family used to be involved in (for a short time) breeding Irish Setters; the more wins, the more the dog can demand for a fee for breeding as well as pups. These were our family dogs, and much loved, but it was also a business. Besides that, the shows are a lot of fun, and it's a whole social scene. You should have SEEN my mother prep for Westminster! ...and I mean HER, not just the dogs! :)

I was for the Setter; obviously. ;)

Grace
02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I hate to put this on a monetary basis, but my family used to be involved in (for a short time) breeding Irish Setters; the more wins, the more the dog can demand for a fee for breeding as well as pups. These were our family dogs, and much loved, but it was also a business. Besides that, the shows are a lot of fun, and it's a whole social scene. You should have SEEN my mother prep for Westminster! ...and I mean HER, not just the dogs! :)

I was for the Setter; obviously. ;)

And that Setter had 15 babies back in April!! She got back in shape very fast :)

cassiesmom
02-15-2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2012-02/68095317.jpg
This is from the Chicago Tribune online photo gallery about Westminster. I think the expression on the dog's face is so sweet!

Karen
02-15-2012, 11:21 PM
It must be hard to judge Best in Show. I was kinda disappointed yet another toy breed won, they just seem to win so many! And It's hard to even think of that Peke as a real dog, while he may be "perfect" by show standards, he moves pretty slowly, and it's hard to tell what his body looks like under all that long hair! You know me, I would have given ribbons to all of them! They're all good dogs, loved by their people.

I made sure to watch all the dog-related and sponsor's commercials, and waited for them to mention shelter and adoptions, but they did not. I will be writing to them, and Westminster - after all the theme song for their commercial could have been about mixed breeds and shelter dogs as well, and just mentioning a couple sentences could have made a big difference!