PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever had Cat Scratch fever???

critter crazy
02-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I was just curious if anyone here has ever had this??? I never even realized it was real, always thought it was just an awsome song by ted nugent!:D Until I was diagnosed with it about 8 yrs ago, and had to undergo surgery to remove the swollen Lymp Node in my groin. I was told by my doctor, that I will always have a chance of it coming back, but as you all know, it hasnt stopped me with having kitties! It was however the very first surgery I ever had to go through. So far so good, I have yet to get it again, and hopefully wont. But you should see the weird looks I get when I mention it!:)

catmandu
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Yes I Caught That About Three Yeras Ago When Boarding Some Siamese Kittens.
Wi Was Petting One And She Scratched My Hand In Play.
It Got Red And Swollen, And Look Like A Potato With Fingers Until My Doctor Administered Antibiotics.
Its Nothing To Fool With, It Took About 10 Days For The Swelling To Go Down.

DrKym
02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I have had a few times, and as Gary said it is nothing to fool with.

Of course my Dr. thinks I am nuts having cats after knowing I get it easily :rolleyes:

Blue_Frog
02-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I got bit by my friends cat once - he got me right in the fat part of the hand, and sunk his teeth right down to the gumline. After a couple days it was really swolen and started leaking green -- i guess that was my cue to go to the dr for antibiotics ;)

So, I got the antibiotics and the tetnus. The joke ended up being that I got my tetnus shot because Orange Cats are Rusty ;)

Freedom
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I've heard of it, never had it. Mr. Amber Cat bit me on two different occassions. Both times, the bites got infected. First time I was on antibiotics. Second time, I was in hospital for a week on round the clock antibiotic IV as the pills didn't cure the infection and there was a concern I would lose the use of the hand. Had this spa treatment of holding my hand in a whirl pool bath for 10 minutes, then the therapist ahs to manipulate it to keep all the "gunk" moving. THAT hurt more than the bite had!!!!

Catlady711
02-09-2007, 07:57 PM
In the 6 years I've worked at the hospital....

I've been bitten by a cat once on the hand. Had to go to the ER next day (a Sunday of course) and get a tetnus shot and some antibiotics. But the swelling went down in a few days, and everything healed just fine.

I've been scratched more times than I can count, and only occasionally has it gotten red/swollen, but when it does it itches immediately like crazy for a few days.

One time I even got clawed right in the nail bed and it pulled up the nail bed OVER my fingernail!! OUCH. It did swell some and started hurting a few days later, so I made a dr's appt for the next day, strangely enough the next morning the swelling was gone, and it didn't hurt anymore. So I cancelled the appt. Took quite some time for the nail bed to re-grow itself properly and some fancy triming of my nail, but it turned out ok, you can barely see where anything happened now unless you look really, really closely.

Although when I first started working there, the boss was very concerned with ANY scratch I got, not knowing if I was one of those people that got Cat Scratch Fever. Now the boss only worries if I'm bleeding all over, or if I actually say OUCH! ROFL :D

BTW that's a great song lol