PDA

View Full Version : Dominant Humping!!(such a wonderful topic!)

critter crazy
02-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Ummmm.....since Rocky has come into the house, Duke Humps him constantly, i understand this is a dominance issue, but will he ever stop??? Or do I have to forever live with this lovely sight everyday?:rolleyes:

Pawsitive Thinking
02-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Tobey and Archie still do this occasionally but not as often as when they were first together :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah, not sure if he will stop....but Zoee (who is a female!) does the "humpty" dance with her bed. So who knows??

critter crazy
02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I just feel so bad for rocky, as his head is taking a beating!:rolleyes: And it isnt exactly a pleasant sight!

Pawsitive Thinking
02-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Do you tell Duke to stop? does Rocky retaliate?

critter crazy
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Do you tell Duke to stop? does Rocky retaliate?
yeah i tell duke to stop, he gives me a sad face and gets down. Rocky will lay down to get away, if I aint quick enough!:D

Pawsitive Thinking
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Imagine if it was the other way round - Rocky would flatten Duke!

critter crazy
02-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Imagine if it was the other way round - Rocky would flatten Duke!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! rocky has no interest!! thank god for Duke!:D

3muttsandaboston
02-09-2007, 03:13 PM
I have that same problem here. At least twice every day Gracie (female) humps Lucy (also female)

critter crazy
02-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Ummmm......i spoke too soon!!:rolleyes:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! rocky has no interest!! thank god for Duke!http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif Oh Boy!!!! I just caught Rocky doing it to Duke!!!:eek:

GreyhoundGirl
02-09-2007, 03:24 PM
:eek:

Haha, Jenny was humping my leg when we first got her... thankfully it left. :P

borzoimom
02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Galina tries to "hump" her brother all the time.. We joke to her- " Weenies you have it backwards child.."... lol.. ( no- I would NEVER breed her brother to her... it was a joke..)
If you tell the one that is the 'top dog" to stop.. Sometimes it does as you just put up the one that was "being humped".. However- my guess is that Duke is telling Rocky- look- you may be bigger but I am the boss... And I was here FIRST.. lol..

Twisterdog
02-09-2007, 08:58 PM
My dogs hump each other on a fairly constant basis. Annoying it is. :rolleyes: I make them stop when I see them ... but I'm sure all I succeed in doing is to make them stop humping each other when I'm in the room.

dukedogsmom
02-09-2007, 09:01 PM
LMAO at humpty dance! Dasher was trying to get poor Doogie just for a bit. Turns out it was the Prednisone he was taking. Thank goodness that's over with now.

pessimisaurus
02-11-2007, 01:06 AM
haha yes, such a nice topic! actually humping has nothing to do with dominance. or sex actually (unless the dog is an intact male). its actually a part of normal play. (my mentor likes to equate humping to a big hug ;)) almost all dogs do it, of all ages and genders.

there are 4 aspects to dog play- food, fight, flight, and sex. basically play is "practice" for these 4 necessities of survival in dogs. so, as embarrassing as it is to us humans, its totally normal and fine between dogs. often it happens when the dog is excited, like if theres a lot of running around or a lot of action. some dogs dont like it and will let the humper know, but many other dogs could care less.

basically my suggestion to people is to either let them do it, or just interrupt them casually. but never scold or punish them for doing it (even though its totally embarrassing, especially at the dog park! haha). crazy dogs!

borzoimom
02-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Ummmm......i spoke too soon!!:rolleyes:
Oh Boy!!!! I just caught Rocky doing it to Duke!!!:eek:
Okay- time to check anal glands. With the switch to raw, the old kibble maybe blocked in the gland. Anal glads can give male or female dogs a "mis-signal" of being in heat- especially more so with a dogs that were never bred as they really do not know the difference.
Another good thing about raw- you never had anal gland infections.. lol..