PDA

View Full Version : Healthy snacks...

Christiansmommy
02-09-2007, 07:49 AM
I am once again trying to get back onto a diet. I really only want to lose about 10 pounds. Anyway, what are some healthy snacks that you have found to be tasty, while still being healthy :)

This may sound weird, but try it, frozen grapes!! They are sooo good...I take them off the vine/stems and put them in a tupperware in the freezer. And then at night when we are watching TV, we snack on them...they are kinda like a frozen slushy in the middle and sooo good.

What healthy snack do you snack on?

chrangharris
02-09-2007, 08:18 AM
I love a trail mix of walnuts, pecans and dried cranberries. I think the next time I make it, I'm going to add some cereal and/or pretzels!

I also love hummus and veggies- so does my oldest!

Apples with or without peanut butter

Oranges

Go check out sparkpeople.com It is a website about healthy lifestyles. I've been on it and it is helping me lose the last of the baby weight. I started it in Dec and have already lost about 12 lbs. I've got 13 more to go!

Freedom
02-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Edamame aka soy beans. I can only find them at the Whole Foods market here. I do NOT like the spicy ones, however.

Sometimes sucking on a sugar free hard candy tides me over too!

Banana. VERY Filling.

Have a drink. For me, often I am thirsty and I don't realize it and instead I eat something. Weird, I know. So if I have a glass of milk, ice tea, hot tea, that is REALLY what my body was asking for anyhow.

Christiansmommy
02-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I love a trail mix of walnuts, pecans and dried cranberries. I think the next time I make it, I'm going to add some cereal and/or pretzels!

I also love hummus and veggies- so does my oldest!

Apples with or without peanut butter

Oranges

Go check out sparkpeople.com It is a website about healthy lifestyles. I've been on it and it is helping me lose the last of the baby weight. I started it in Dec and have already lost about 12 lbs. I've got 13 more to go!

I just joined!! Thanks! I am really looking forward to doing this!! I only need to lose 12 lbs. I would like my goal to be by my 30th birthday, the end of March...time to go read up on more...thanks again!

RedHedd
02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I just discovered Fage fat free Greek Style yogurt. Only 80 calories in a very good-sized cup and it doesn't taste fat free at all!

Other snackies I like include apples, low carb soy chips from Trader Joe's, carrots. Drinking lots of water or other low/no cal liquids helps. I like Crystal Lite and Diet Snapple Peach Iced tea.

Laura's Babies
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
I eat apples, oranges, peaches, banana's and a LOT of slalds. I am not on a diet but since I got off the lipitor and am on the supplements, I can eat that kind of stuff that I had not been able to eat in 35 years or better so I just can't get enough of it. I am not vegaterian but I find I am eating a lot less meat that I use to, maybe eat it only once a week... I'd rather have beans or a salad! Needless to say, the weight is slowly vanishing.

buttercup132
02-09-2007, 10:42 AM
I LOVE frozen grapes!! I like pb on Celery for a healthy snack.

chrangharris
02-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I just joined!! Thanks! I am really looking forward to doing this!! I only need to lose 12 lbs. I would like my goal to be by my 30th birthday, the end of March...time to go read up on more...thanks again!

Glad you like it! It was/is very motivating for hubby and I. We even did little competitions to see who met their daily goals the most! Whoever won, got a prize for the other. I won both times. He had to give me a pedicure and then he had to plan/make/clean a dinner for me! :D

Randi
02-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I like all kinds of fruit, but I also eat veggies. ;) I try to grate two carrotts every day, with a small handful of soft raisins in and also 10-15 cut up hazelnuts, it's yummy.

For breakfast in the summer, various fresh fruit and berries in a bowl of Yougurt Natural with a spoonful of honey stirred in, is also yummy.

Jamieejo85
02-10-2007, 08:05 PM
i like frozen grapes also. i love the bags of frozen fruit they sell at the grocery store with pineapple, kiwi, grapes, honeydew, cantelope....

i also like to snack on almonds and boiled cabbage..yum!

luvofallhorses
02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
baby carrots and ranch, pretzels, celery with peanut butter, etc. I like to munch on sunflower seeds without the shell, too. :D

jackie
02-11-2007, 04:04 PM
yogurt,
fruit salad,
veggies with fat free dip.

CathyBogart
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
String cheese is my savior when I crave fats. I also like lots of fruit/veggies with almond butter.

luvofallhorses
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
oh I forgot to say I LOVE salads! :D

angelbow20
02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
If i crave chips I eat baked chips instead of regular. I love lettuce with a spread of miracle whip sandwiches, bakes potatoes( with are actually very good for people and the skins are very healthy and are supose to help you lose weight), frozen grapes and other frozen fruits, homemade fruit smoothies, and i drink alot of diet soda, ice tea, and ice water... I could go on forever with snacks that are supose to be healthy but I wont....

Giselle
02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm a vegetarian so healthy eating has become a part of my life. In my book, anything high in nutrients but low in calories is a healthy snack. This includes fruits and vegetables for the most part.

Of course, if you cut out junk food entirely, you're going to be craving it big time. My suggestion is to find a healthy food that has a very similar texture. I used to crave chips very badly, so I had to resort to apples, celery, and carrots. A lot of people like to pair it up with ranch dressing, but that usually contains a lot of calories and little nutrients. This goes for any other sauce or dressing you like to use to make "healthy" snacks taste better. Remember, you just want more nutrients per calorie than anything else. And if you're having trouble feeling full, don't be afraid to eat those complex carbs/fiber. Most women don't even get their daily recommended amount of fiber, so it's absolutely fine to eat fiber-heavy foods. I'd recommend it actually! Good luck. Eating well makes you feel so much better :)

Rachel
02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Baby carrots are a boone as they are already prepared. As others have mentioned, the fresh fruits are a real good thing to have on hand. When I have an apple, I generally share it with Hannah and Tucker, so that is kind of a fun thing to do.

I do snack on Almonds but one has to be careful not to eat more than a few as they are quite high in calories, but better for you than eating something sweet. I really enjoy a small serving of lowfat cottage cheese with some fruit for something a little more filling. A late night snack for me is a piece of low fat string cheese (60 calories). It tends to be quite satisfying for me. Not all brands taste that good so I tend to buy the Frigo Cheeseheads.