PDA

View Full Version : Purebreds & Why People Buy Them

Power Lounger
06-26-2002, 08:55 AM
Just wondering what is the reasoning behind people
going to breeders to buy purebred dogs as opposed
to going to a shelter & saving a life. Or, going to a purebred rescue organization & saving a life there. I just don't understand what the thought process is in that situation & it's never been explained to me. Am I the only one that feels that way?

pupper-lover
06-26-2002, 10:02 AM
I am an owner of both a purebreed and a rescued mix-breed.

People who breed dogs do it for the love of a breed. If people did not breed dogs, all the beautiful purebreeds we know today would not exist.

I am very supportive in the area of animal charities and over the years my family has provided a home for 4 cats (plus a litter of kittens carried by one of the cats), and 5 dogs. We have also had two purebreed golden retrievers.

People who breed responsibly are ensuring a healthy bloodline for a specific breed. I feel that the problem of homeless animals is not that created by purebreeds, by that which is created by irresponsible pet owners. If people who did not want puppies and kittens, spayed and neutered their pets, there would not be this problem. If people, thought about the lifelong commitment of patience, love, and dedication it takes to raise a pet, there would not be this problem. If people, took responsibility for themselves and their pets, there would not be this problem. Animals are wonderful, amazing, loving creatures. Unfortunately, people do not always posess these qualities.

sasvermont
06-26-2002, 10:15 AM
Well, my first two cats were Shelter Cats and I loved them so. Then my third cat found me as I was walking through a cat show in Philadelphia. It was love at first sight. I went back to the cat show the following day to see if I could get the breeder to lower the price. They/she did and the rest is history. Mandy, my first Aby, was so sweet. She died two Feb.s ago from cancer of the tongue. I went to another cat show in Vermont just about that same time. I got the name of a new breeder about 4 hours away. We negotiated for two this time, and when I went to their house and saw how nicely they treated their kittens and cats, I was sure I had found the right place to buy my cats. I love Graemer and Miley so. The breeder prepared them for their new home, trained them to scratching posts and in general socialized them. They would not let anyone take the kittens until they were 16 weeks old. Much longer/older than many folks get kittens.

Why didn't I go to a shelter? I wanted a certain kind of cat and wasn't willing to wait until one appeared at a shelter. Maybe if I didn't have the money for one, I would have gone to a shelter. I wanted what I wanted and that was that. Sound spoiled, eh? I know. But hey, I am a responsible pet owner.

I know that there are tons of unwanted pets out there, but at the time, I wanted an Aby....ended up with two. If and when I get a new cat after these two have passed away, I may, at the time consider a shelter cat, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I don't have anything against good shelters and their animals or good breeders and their animals. I do have problems with irresponsible pet owners.

Power Lounger
06-26-2002, 10:19 AM
I just don't understand why someone would get a purebred dog over a dog in a shelter or rescue organization. I couldn't care less if purebreds ceased to exist, I would take a mutt any day over it. And I'm just not getting someone saying "I'm going to a breeder because I HAVE TO HAVE THIS TYPE OF DOG, when there's a precious life at a shelter that will DIE because of someone's ego ("Look at my Doberman, Weinmaraner, Portuguese Water Dog,etc."). It seems to me, that these dogs are status symbols, a lot like a new car. I don't get it, & I never will.

sasvermont
06-26-2002, 10:33 AM
Dear Power Lounger, you must be able to allow folks to make choices. There are many folks here who have purebred this and that. I accept your answer, but think you should leave a little room for those folks who have chosen a different method of getting a pet. I respect your choice and hope you respect others'.

:(

P. S. I have a new car too.

pupper-lover
06-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Power Lounger
I just don't understand why someone would get a purebred dog over a dog in a shelter or rescue organization. I couldn't care less if purebreds ceased to exist, I would take a mutt any day over it. And I'm just not getting someone saying "I'm going to a breeder because I HAVE TO HAVE THIS TYPE OF DOG, when there's a precious life at a shelter that will DIE because of someone's ego ("Look at my Doberman, Weinmaraner, Portuguese Water Dog,etc."). It seems to me, that these dogs are status symbols, a lot like a new car. I don't get it, & I never will.

In no particular order :

First off, I would like to say that it is great that you adopt dogs that are homeless. I adopt them, too. More people should do it.

Second, don't judge me and "yell" at me for making the decision to buy a purebreed for a companion for my rescued dog.

Third, the fact that you don't care about the existence of purebreeds is your decision. I prefer to be in favor of the preservation of all types of animals from endanged birds, to Panda bears, to Dalmations. Every animal and every breed have a purpose on this earth. That is my decision.

Fourth, animals are not homeless because of me. My family has rescued 9 animals, including a pregnant cat that later had a litter of kittens. We have never brought an animal to a shelter. All of our animals have been fixed, and therefore, never have contributed to overpopulation. We are constantly donating time, goods, and money to shelters to keep them running.

Fifth, my golden retriever is a dependable companion for me and my mutt. He is not a status symbol. My mutt was beaten, starved, and abadoned before the age of four months. Her immune system was very poor, due to her lack of care. She has had almost every type of worm, mange, and had severe anxiety and behavioral problems. I loved her so much that when I got a second dog, I ensured her health, by bringing only a completely healthy dog into her house. I did not set out to get a purebreed, but this dog happened to be one. I fell in love with the dog because of his personality. I did not judge him by his bloodlines. My golden retriever was lucky enough never to have experienced the horrendous things that my rescued dog had. My purebreed has taught my mutt how to be a dog, to trust people, to bark, to play, to swim. I never regret one day of having both my purebreed and my mixed breed. They are not status symbols, they are my friends.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love all dogs! I do not care about the breed! I do support animal charities and I do adopt animals in need!!!!!

My question to you is :
You stated that "you never get it, and you never will". Why did you ask the question, if you are unwilling to accept the answers?

Power Lounger
06-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Well, of course, people have choices. I'm still not understanding the reasoning behind those choices. I mean, hey I would love to have a Maine Coon or a Singapura, but there's no way I could do that when I know that shelters are BURSTING with cats. I couldn't look myself in the mirror. And I find it hard to believe that the shelter cats have less personality or less cute than a purebred. As a matter of fact, sometimes the shelters have purebreds there, why wouldn't one go there first & see what's there. The reasoning behind getting a purebred over a shelter/rescue has not been explained so that I can now say--"Ohhhh, THAT'S why, NOW I understand".

jennifert
06-26-2002, 11:34 AM
Power Lounger,
I do understand your point and agree with you in many ways. However, I think Pupper-Lover said it very well. It's hard to understand why someone would pay so much money, often 2 or 3 x what a shelter animal costs to get a purebred puppy. One walk through the shelter will break your heart and maybe change the minds of some of these people. There is very often purebred dogs at these shelters too. For example, in a shelter near here, there is a Cane Corso Mastiff that the owners turned in. These dogs can cost well over a $1000 apiece and are hard to find, at least in this area. When I adopted Duncan, there was a purebred bassett hound in the cage next to him, another rare and expensive breed.
The problem, I feel, however, doesn't lie with most responsible breeders. It lies with the "ordinary" pet owner who either spends the money on the purebred or gets one from their neighbor's dog that had puppies for the 5th time and then they proceed to keep this dog in the backyard, maybe tied to a doghouse, maybe loose in the 4 foot-high fenced yard. And they don't spay or neuter this dog, their "beloved family pet" that they keep chained to the garage like a wild animal!! . And then it jumps the fence or another dog jumps the fence...Or it escapes from their collar and chain and if it comes home at all, it comes home pregnant or after having impregnanted all the dogs within 10 miles.

There is absolutely NO REASON for any person that is NOT a licensed, professional breeder, to have a dog that is not neutered or spayed. No reason whatsoever.

There are many purebred dog breeds that I would love love love to own, like a Great Pyrnees or a Bernese Mountain Dog. Or a beautiful regal German Shepherd....I could go on and on...And maybe someday I will come across one of these dogs that needs a home and will be fortunate enough to be able to take them....But until then I will continue my one-woman crusade to spay and neuter, spay and neuter, spay and neuter....

Power Lounger
06-26-2002, 11:53 AM
First thing, wasn't yelling, just wondering. I congratulate you for all the help you've extended to helpless animals. But there are far too many people who will ONLY get purebreds & will not consider any other. I see them all the time. They've gone to this breeder & that breeder for just the right one. And I ask them, why not the shelter??? It is not even a consideration. Purebred is the way to go. And I nod my head & squint my eyes just a bit. So, in this forum, I pose the question, why? And know that there was a dog (or cat) in desperate need when you did so. Again, not yelling.

aly
06-26-2002, 11:56 AM
I just want to say that I can tell you first hand the WONDERFUL, HEALTHY, LOVING, and many times pure bred dogs that are in shelters. Since the one I work at is no-kill, we are selective intake so can only take the healthy and friendly animals. We have a return policy if you adopt an animal with a sickness that we missed that you just cannot handle. Yes, at kill shelters you will see a lot of sick animals and a lot of aggressive animals but it is very possible to find nice shelters and rescue groups with healthy animals. (The kill shelters also have nice and healthy animals, you just have to pick through them more). I hope I don't offend anyone but I just don't like the misconception that adopting a shelter animal means adopting a sick animal.

All my dogs came from the shelter and my cat came from a parking lot under a truck starving to death. And I wouldn't have it any other way. The way they look into my eyes is something that cannot be explained. You can see the gratitude and love shine through. They know they were taken out of bad situations. Even my dog who was abused for 6 years is the biggest bundle of love. Yes, she has her quirks but I make it my mission to help her overcome her fears and challanges. I don't think its in any way discouraging nor do I regret adopting her.

I can respect everyone's opinions, though I may not agree with them all. For me, rescue is the only way to go.

This post isn't directed to anyone in particular... its just my opinions so don't get mad anyone.

aly
06-26-2002, 11:58 AM
First thing, wasn't yelling, just wondering. I congratulate you for all the help you've extended to helpless animals. But there are far too many people who will ONLY get purebreds & will not consider any other. I see them all the time. They've gone to this breeder & that breeder for just the right one. And I ask them, why not the shelter??? It is not even a consideration. Purebred is the way to go. And I nod my head & squint my eyes just a bit. So, in this forum, I pose the question, why? And know that there was a dog (or cat) in desperate need when you did so. Again, not yelling.

:( :( :( I completely understand where you're coming from. I just don't think anyone here could answer that. Its awful, isn't it? I often ask myself those very same questions.

By the way, welcome to Pet Talk :)

anna_66
06-26-2002, 12:00 PM
Well, I would like to say a few words here.
I have a Siberian Husky (that btw I got at a pet store), I did not buy her because of her breed or because she was a purebred. I bought her because I fell in love with her, and knew she was the dog for us (and some people don't like that we bought her from a pet store & cannot understand that). We did not intend to buy from a pet store, but it just happened that way. I do not think of them as a new car or any other type of status symbol. I love them. That's it, period. It wouldn't matter to me if they were muts or not. Guess it's not for everyone to understand why people do what they do. I personally would rather focus on the people who have animals and don't love or take care of them than worry about why people buy what kinds of breeds they want. Unfortunaly people have the right to do what they want to, be it right or wrong.

pupper-lover
06-26-2002, 12:06 PM
Just in case you wanted to know what went through my mind when I adopted my purebreed Golden Retriever:

1) I had one rescued dog. I wanted a second dog.

2) My dog was female (spayed), not yet full grown, skiddish (due to past abuse), and had a poor immune system (due to past neglect).

3) A companion for my dog would, therefore, need to be completely healthy (I would not compromise on the health of my first baby). It would also be better if the second dog did not have a dominant personality (because the first one is skiddish) and would not tower over her in size. The second dog needed to get along with other dogs. I thought a male dog would get along better with my female.

4) My first, second, and third visits are to my local shelter. The shelter was actually rather empty at the time. I did not find a dog that seemed right for my family. I love my rescued dog. I would love to save a sweet homeless creature, but I would not simply bring home any needy dog, if it was not what was best for my dog and my family.

5) I grew up with a golden retriever, so I visited a nearby family, that had advertised having golden puppies. One of the puppies, Jake, stood out to me. He was sweet, easy going, not the dominant type, had always lived in a house with other dogs, and was currently smaller than my rescued dog. He was also very healthy. I fell in love with Jake, because he was Jake. I knew he would be a perfect addition to my family and a wonderful companion for my dog. I did pay for him, but it was no where near the amount I have paid to get, Addie, my rescued dog, back to health. Addie means the world to me, I would never do anything to put her in harms way. It made sense for me to get Jake. I don't regret it.

6) Addie and Jake are best buddies, and are now both healthy and happy. They are priceless to me, no matter what their breed. I made a decision based on what was right for me and my family, not status.

ellensy
06-26-2002, 12:25 PM
In my opinion, people tend to buy purebreds maybe because with purebreds they will more or less know what to expect from their behavior. Since we have lists and general information about purebreds, people will be able to choose the dog that will best suit their personality, lifestyles, etc..with more certainty. The more the dog suit their lifestyles, time, etc, the more they will be able to take care of them. I think at least they have the notion of pouring responsibility upon having the dog. The generality of the behavior among dogs can only be seen in purebreds since they are breed in standard ways, unlike the mutts who are already crossed among different breeds. This is only my opinion anyway, :D

NOTE: I have nothing against mutts since they are REALLY REALLY GREAT!!! and I have two of them. ;) They are really full of surprises.

Nevertheless, whatever the dog is, purebred or mix, they are still dogs, therefore, they are still equal in someway since both need EQUAL love and attention from us. DOGS, both purebred and mix RULES!!! :D

Power Lounger
06-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Thank you Aly! As the mother of four (three cats & a dog, ALL rescues), I know what you mean when you say they KNOW they've been saved, & it just breaks my heart that I can't help them all. If I ever hit the lottery, in my small world, things will change. Until such time, I do whatever I can.

sasvermont
06-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Well, I can see/hear the negative tones and judgements and I am not going to post to this topic again. I think it is disruptive, misdirected and negative.

Power Lounger
06-26-2002, 12:40 PM
Sorry if you feel that way, I've always wanted to ask that question. And I thought this to be the perfect forum. And, perhaps, maybe, there will be someone who reads these many posts & think twice about going to a breeder and go to a shelter or rescue organization. I fail to understand how that could be construed as negative. But I don't understand a lot of things...

pupper-lover
06-26-2002, 12:41 PM
One more note:

Powerlounger, I do understand your frustration of seeing so many needy animals, and so many people that refuse to adopt them. There are indeed some people that are snobs and dislike rescued animals because they feel these animals are dirty, sick, have "muddled" bloodlines, and are untrainable. I do believe that most people that have purebreeds have them because they either fell in love with a particular dog (like I did with Jake) or they have a love for the breed (like I do with Goldens).

Everyday, I am haunted by the many helpless, hopeful, thrown out dogs that I have come across. Tears came to my eyes, just the other day for two dogs that I didn't adopt, when I was looking for Addie. My thoughts are also filled with two other dogs, I played with at a shelter a few weeks ago. The hope in their eyes when I took the time to love them, was agony. I could not take them home, but they refused to believe this. In my heart, I feel those dogs were/will be put to sleep. I wish that I could help them all, but I can't. I want so so badly to go out and bring home the sweet pups I see at shelter's. However, my life and my dogs lives would suffer if I did so. I do not have the property or the resources to take on any more animals right now.

Powerlounger, I know that your words are based on love for animals and frustration with their seemingly helpless situation. I'm sure you have looked into the eyes of a death row animal, and your heart has broken. I have, too.

I think we will get much further in life if we look towards what we can do to help, not to what others are doing that we don't like. I think everyone here at pettalk is all for helping homeless animals. I'm sorry your entry to this group seems to have been a negative one. The people here are all really wonderful, we just get a bit nippy, when we feel we are being attacked.

Presley
06-26-2002, 12:56 PM
sasvermont Well said!
It is this topic that had made me rethink even bothering posting here. I hear the bashs about purebred dogs all the time from many different people here and it bothers me to no end. Not all of us can handle it anymore.. rescueing animals.. Not all of us are prepared for adopting a animal and have no history given on it and it having a hord of health problems.
I went with a pure bred dog so i would know what i was getting into. I went with a breed that i LOVE and I have not got into something that isn't wrong in the slightest..
If people would get their animals fixed then there wouldn't be shelters filled with unwanted,abused,and sick animals. This goes for breeders as well. I only agree with breeding a dog if you are going to better the breed. I don't agree with breeding when it is distroying a breeed and you know what. I am allowed to have a pure bred dog. And if i paid loads of money for my dog then SO WHAT. She is my dog. I love her to pieces and no matter what nothing would change that. And i am glad i have her and thats all that should matter. Not everyone has the strength to go and save animals . And don't go thinking i or others havn't saved animals. Many of us have but we can't take the heartbreak anymore.

I would also like to add this.. I looked for a dog for a long time 2 years. I even went to our SPCA to look. I knew that i wanted a lab. But when i got PResley i wasn't even going to get a dog. Something drew me to her. This i am thankful for, She has brought so much joy to my life it is amazing.

ParNone
06-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Hi there... newbie jumping into the fray here...;)

Although in many instances a mutt would be all any family
or person needs. Let's not forget that a lot of dogs unlike
cats are bred for more than being a companion of leisure.
They're bred to be man's companion in work.

I someday in the near future plan on having a farm and
I want a specific type working dog with me on that farm.
From my research, I'm leaning towards a Bernese Mountain
Dog. The breeding of purebreds for specific reasons is why
I'm able to figure out what dog would fit my specific need.
Now I have every intention of looking at a shelter first to
find that breed or a breed with a majority of that mixture.
But if we eliminate purebreds, how would I ever know if I'm
getting the right dog for my circumstance? I'm sure there's
many a blind person who's mighty glad for the breeding of
goldens, labs and german shepards.

Par...

Power Lounger
06-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks, pupper-lover. And to everyone else, if I've offended you, my apologies.

pupper-lover
06-26-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
Hi there... newbie jumping into the fray here...;)

Although in many instances a mutt would be all any family
or person needs. Let's not forget that a lot of dogs unlike
cats are bred for more than being a companion of leisure.
They're bred to be man's companion in work.

I someday in the near future plan on having a farm and
I want a specific type working dog with me on that farm.
From my research, I'm leaning towards a Bernese Mountain
Dog. The breeding of purebreds for specific reasons is why
I'm able to figure out what dog would fit my specific need.
Now I have every intention of looking at a shelter first to
find that breed or a breed with a majority of that mixture.
But if we eliminate purebreds, how would I ever know if I'm
getting the right dog for my circumstance? I'm sure there's
many a blind person who's mighty glad for the breeding of
goldens, labs and german shepards.

Par...

I was thinking the same thing. :)

Dixieland Dancer
06-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by aly

:( :( :( I completely understand where you're coming from. I just don't think anyone here could answer that. Its awful, isn't it? I often ask myself those very same questions.

By the way, welcome to Pet Talk :)

I will attempt to answer that question! But first I need to clarify that RESPONSIBLE owners of purebred dogs are not responsible for the overpopulations in shelters. Realizing why this problem exists is part of the answer to your question.

Unfortunately, many people purchase a puppy on impulse, without pausing to consider its eventual size, appearance and personality—traits that are well-established and largely predetermined by breed. We can all agree that a cute little puppy (purebred or mixed) is irrestable. So they take fido home and he becomes too active or requires too much time to train and keeps piddling on the good carpet, or grows to big for their lifestyle, or sheds too much, etc. etc. etc.. So in our disposable society, we have a way to "correct" that problem. We will just take Fido to the shelter and dispose of him. After all, someone else WILL adopt them and make a loving home for them. And that is only part of the problem! :(

You also have the same impulsive buyer (purebred or mixed) that never gives Fido love or attention. He is left to wonder or be chained up in the yard day in and day out. He never gets any routine vet care and is never fixed. Girl dogs are even worse because the males come from miles away when she is in season to have their way with her. Litter after litter of puppies are born but Mr. Irresponsible doesn't worry. After all he has the shelter to drop the pups off at or to sell them and then not care what happens to them after he collects his money.

Don't get me wrong. I support rescue and shelters on a regular basis. I realize the problem but don't blame it on people who want a purebred dog. I blame it on Mr. Irresponsible who doesn't take the time to figure out what kind of dog will work for him.

NOW, why would anyone want a purebred dog??? Purebred dogs are found in an impressive variety of sizes, shapes, colors and personalties. All these breeds have been molded over time to serve humanity in some capacity. Thus we have hunters, guards, trackers, shepherds, sled dogs, and above all, companions. We have energetic dogs, sedate dogs, extroverted dogs and those that prefer the fellowship of one or a few familiar faces.

Choosing the dog that's right for you requires some work. There is no substitute for making a careful study of each breed's characteristics and narrowing down the field until you are left with the one that best suits your temperament, lifestyle, accommodations and taste. Will the adult dog be large and/or require extensive grooming? Is it likely to need lots of outdoor exercise? Don't forget to ask yourself whether its temperament will be appropriate for your family, especially younger members. This is critical in considering a mixed breed as well since all mixed breeds have purebred traits in them. Example... someone may have a doberman/lab mix. Now you need to understand if two different breeds will work for you and what personality traits this combination will produce.

Now that you have considered what you want, you now need to know what breeds exhibit that behavior. You can check the web for 100's of varieties of dogs. You determine you are interested in Labrador Retrievers. You can determine the standard of the breed to verify YES this works for me or NO it does not!

WHY do I own purebred Golden Retrievers? I am a hobbiest. I don't just have my dogs for companions although that is the foremost reason I have dogs. I train and show them competitively in various venues such as obedience, agility, field and soon conformation. I can pretty much already know the basic characteristics of my dogs because they are purebred. I know they are strong athletic dogs with high drive and outgoing personalities. They are excellent hunters with a strong sense of smell and they love water. They are happy and trusting and very loyal. They learn quick and are very gentle. This makes them excellent guide dogs or household companions for families with small children. I know they are going to be around 60 - 75 pounds and eat around three to four cups of food a day. I can go on but I think you get the idea.

I want a GOLDEN RETRIEVER. I want to know the pedigree of the dog to determine the working or showing ability of the dog and more importantly it's personality potential. I want to be able to see the parents and say ok, that is the personality trait I am looking for. I want to be able to look at a litter and know what puppy will match my needs in field, obedience, etc. I can love any dog but I choose to own a GOLDEN because it fits all of my wants, expectations, and desires in a dog. And I AM a responsible dog owner and am not a part of the problem with over flowing shelters.

One last thought.... Did you know that by owning a Golden Retriever, I actually do own a mixed breed? :D The development of this retriever is attributed to Lord Tweedsmuir in Scotland, just north of the English border, along the Tweed River. He was said to be breeding to produce the ultimate gun dog. In 1952 a descendant published documents of his breeding from 1835 until about 1890. In 1865, he acquired his first Yellow Retriever, named Nous, who was bred to a type of dog called the Tweed Water Spaniel (now extinct), commonly found in the Border country, whose traits and qualities, subsequently influenced the development of the Golden Retriever dog. Nous and Belle produced 4 yellow puppies in 1868, Crocus, Cowslip, Primrose and Ada. From the four, followed additional crosses to the Water Dogs, an Irish Setter and sandy colored Bloodhounds. Then followed some line-breeding, unusual for those days, and Nous and Cowslip appear several times in pedigrees. This line breeding eventually created the Yellow or Golden Retriever dog, later becoming popular in Britain towards the end of the 1800s. First shown in 1908, they were granted breed status by the Kennel Club in 1913, and became known as the Retriever (Golden and Yellow). In 1920 the name was changed to Golden Retriever.

I think we need to all concentrate on promoting responsible dog ownership, be it purebred or mixed. Through educating the unkowledgeable about proper considerations when aquiring a dog, be it a shelter worker or a responsible breeder, we will all be doing our furry friends a service. We all need each other to succeed.

aly
06-26-2002, 03:02 PM
I have so much to say but know I'm going to forget half of it. Anyway, Dixie - I don't think Power Lounger was blaming anyone here for the problem. She was just asking why not try to fix it instead of add to it. NOT that you are adding to it but I don't know how else to word that. I respect you as a breeder and I know you know your stuff. Unfortunately, you are a minority in the breeder world. I do want to say though that shelters are full of animals with better temperaments and health than the best breeders' champions. Adopting a dog or cat is not a death wish. Adopting a dog or cat does not mean you are getting a worthless, sick, or ill tempered animal. Also, Power Lounger wasn't knocking anyone for wanting a pure breed. She pointed out that they do exist in shelters too.

For those of you who can't take the risk of adopting a dog with a history, shelters also have puppies... and lots of them. Many shelters and rescue groups also have extensive history on their adult dogs. You have to fill out a 5 page background form (front and back) when surrendering a dog to my shelter. After that there is an extensive temperament test the dog has to pass. When adopting a dog, you are informed EVERYTHING we know and counseled on how to deal with it. Yes, there's a chance that there may be something we missed but a lot of the time there's not. And if there is, you are encouraged to come to us for free counseling. There are several rescue organizations like this who want to do everything possible to help you.

I hope no one will become defensive to this post. I simply want to share my opinion and encourage everyone else to share theirs too. There is a lot of emotions on all sides behind this topic so I can see how it might get out of hand. But we are all friends and I hope can all speak our minds without arguing.

Slave of 15 Dogs
06-26-2002, 05:15 PM
Power Lounger,

As owner of 15 rescue dogs (and I wouldn't have it any other way either), I respect everyone's opinion as to where they get their animals, as long as they are well taken care of.

We have acquired our dogs from various shelters around Northern and Central Indiana and we have rescued a few off of the street.

I do agree whole heartedly that rescue is the only way to go and that shelters are the place to go to get a dog and that perhaps if more people went to shelters instead of breeders there wouldn't be as many dogs/cats that have to die. HOWEVER, there are some people, for what ever reason, want a purebred dog. Some hunters are willing to risk getting a dog that won't hunt (and I don't advocate hunting either), or show people who want the very best of a certain breed.

I also agree that the stupid irresponsible pet owners are the reason that shelters are full to the brim all the time. I think that educating the ignorant (not a slam here) public of proper pet care is essential. I would advocate everyone who wants to own a pet of any kind (breeder or shelter) should have to take a pet care class before they are EVER allowed to own an animal. (Pretty radical eh?)

Unfortunately, we belong to a throw away society that feels that once you get tired of something, you get rid of it. Which leads to many dogs being dumped.

All of our dogs are happy and healthy and well loved. Incidently, we have both pure breeds and Heinz57s. Everything from a Toy American Eskimo to 2 Great Danes, and everything in between.

I also would like to welcome you. But please don't judge...that's what makes Pet Talk great, even if we don't hold the same opinions (because there are many rescuers here as well as QUALIFIED breeders), we get along and share stories of heartbreak and joy. I have never belonged to a board that is this nice. So, enjoy!!! And come back often.

Do you have pictures of your babies?? We LOVE pictures!!

Dogz
06-26-2002, 05:28 PM
I have a purebred pug and I also got my black lab from a shelter, I don't know if he is a purebred or not, but I use to have another black lab, and I got her as a present... and she had puppies with the other black lab. We gave homes to all of the puppies exept one of the yellow ones. I was still living with my parents, and they wouldn't neuter the male black lab that we got from the shelter.
The purebred pug we got from a breeder, but I don't know why, but I kind of did save him.
He had a really bad eye infection that started out as a white cloud in his eye. The breeder wouldn't have spent the money for surgury like we did.

Slave of 15 Dogs
06-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Well put Aly, I think that people are reading into what Power Lounger is saying. She is asking a viable question that she was hoping to get an answer to. I know that I can't get into her head, but I didn't think she was attacking anyone, just wanting to ask a question.

Perhaps because I feel the same way in many aspects, I wasn't offended by her post, but I still don't think she was attacking anyone. Just an opinion on this side!

Candy, I agree with Aly, you take care to send your pups to good homes and you take care of them until they go to homes and you don't overbreed your dogs, BUT, I also agree with Aly, that you are in the definite minority. I respect your choices and am not judging you for your choice, but I have chosen another path as has Aly, PowerLounger, and many others. I also understand the choice that you made, until I got into rescue, I was dead set on a Weimaraner pup, but then I met Sox and the rest is history. I might add, I did FINALLY get my Weim (number 14) about a month ago.

mary_jsn
06-26-2002, 06:45 PM
After reading a lot of people's opinions I'll give my reasons why I don't have a mutt.
First, here in Chile, there are no rescue organizations or shelters so mutts live in streets were they get load of infections.
Second, here, in my country most mutts are aggressive because they pick fights with other dogs in streets.
Third, it would have been more expensive to cure a pet that has many diseases that what I paid for Leika.
Fourth, I know mutt dogs are harder to train and unfortunately I don't have enough pacience.
Fifth, It's not that I don't like mutts it's just that I'm more attracted to breed dogs.
Six, I bought Leika at a Pet store and she had been separated from her brothers and sisters a week ago and she was sad and scared, the minute I saw her I fell in love with her.
Seven:I'm just a kid and I wasn't looking for any speacial dog, any breed, but it had to be small because we had a few problems with the other dog that we had, and Leika was the perfect dog for me!
I respect everyone's opinion and I am so glad that there are shelters that actually take care of dogs and they don't have them lying on the street.
And now that I remember, when I was a baby we had a mutt dog, we didn't pay for it and we took care of him and one day he ran away and never came back.
I hope nobody gets angry at what I said, but, I think we should be happy with the pets we have and not to encourage other people to buy more dogs that could end in shelters because of problems with other dogs etc...
Let's take care of our pets and not fight wether they are purebred or not.
:D

Presley
06-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Actually reading these posts have really turned me off this place..
I am annoyed at how people here look so down on someone for wanting to own a pure bred... Anyways take care all... Sorry i ever brought my beautiful girls pictures and stories and concerns here... I thought this place had open minded people...

aly
06-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Presley, don't leave over this. I know everyone here enjoys your stories and pictures... I sure do. No one is coming down on you and if you felt like I was, I appologize because that was not my intention. I would like to have the opportunity to get to know you further and hear more about your animals. Please please please don't leave. I don't think anyone would be happy if you did :(

aly
06-26-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by mary_jsn

Fourth, I know mutt dogs are harder to train and unfortunately I don't have enough pacience.

Actually, sometimes they are much easier! :D My Lolly girl is the smartest dog I've ever seen. Sometimes I swear she can understand English!!

But you do have many reasons to go the route you did and I'm glad you're happy with Leika.

aly
06-26-2002, 07:27 PM
pssssst Mike... I love your whole crew but my heart sure does go pitter patter when I see pictures of Sox.

Pam
06-26-2002, 07:33 PM
I have debated about whether or not to join in here since it has turned into such a hot topic. My childhood dog was a beloved mutt. We had absolutely no clue about his background or what breeds might be in his family tree but he was a sweetie. As an adult, I worked with a girl who had a poodle. She shared with me a lot of their attributes and frankly I really liked what I was hearing. Not surprisingly I got my first pedigree poodle in 1970. I now have my fifth poodle and, although I really do admire all kinds of dogs, I have a very strong love for this breed. If bred responsibly, as with any other breed, they are very intelligent, loving, family dogs and an added bonus is they don't shed. Don't get me wrong, I am not a neat freak (I have two cats who shed plenty) but for some people a non-shedding dog is a must. I really don't think the breeders are the problem here. Too many people are not spaying and neutering their pets and often think it's "cute" for their children to observe their female dog having a litter. Until everyone spays and neuters, the shelters will be full unfortunately. That's just a fact. I guess the bottom line is freedom. Everyone has the freedom to choose the dog they want and hopefully will not be judged for the choices they make.

Slave of 15 Dogs
06-26-2002, 07:33 PM
PSSSSTTT...aly....it's Molly incognito...I was too lazy to log out and log in again!!lol

aly
06-26-2002, 07:37 PM
psssssssst... oh you already know about my love for Sox!! (I think)

Presley
06-26-2002, 07:47 PM
I would like to add this...
I am sorry for losing it there, This topic really bothers me. This topic shouldn't even be a issue. What should be a issue is breeding responsibly. Getting your animals fixed and once you adopt or buy an animal know it is for life and not something you can throw away. These wonderful pure breds is what makes up the wonderful mutts. This topic is really hard for someone who
went and got a pure bred for certin attributes the breed has and has to hear what a shame and how horrible it is that you actually had the nerv to go out and do something like that.
I see nothing wrong with pure breds or mixed. I see a huge problem with people breeding for the wrong reasons.. puppy mills.. people not having their pets fixed.. We as owners of whatever sort of animal should be resonsible and love them and take care of them the best we can.
Now if another dog came along and got into my heart like Presley did i would bring them home in a heart beat....But i am also not looking or even prepard for another dog, I have also turned down getting another puppy from the breeder i got Presley from who was going to give me one for free because of the problems i have had with Presley.

Karen
06-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Presley
Actually reading these posts have really turned me off this place..
I am annoyed at how people here look so down on someone for wanting to own a pure bred... Anyways take care all... Sorry i ever brought my beautiful girls pictures and stories and concerns here... I thought this place had open minded people...

Actually. Pet Talk, and the Pet of the Day family of websites, are for people who love all kinds of pets. We love animals, all animals. Some people just particularly love a specific breed, for whatever the reasons. And buying a purebred and being a responsible owner, getting it spayed or being responsible for the pups like Dixieland Damcer does probably does as much in saving the shelters from unwanted dogs as rescuing a dog does. That's one more responsible owners.

We all can only be responsible for ourselves, and those around us we can teach the joys of RESPONSIBLE pet ownership. Not everyone lives near a shelter. My parents don't, and would have to travel several towns over to find a shelter. And the shelters that are closest to them did not even exist when I was a kid. The web has at least made it easier to find out what needy pets are available for those who are looking for pets - but that is only applicable for people who have Internet access in the first place.

A friend of mine, as an example of someone who buys a purebred, loves poodles. She's had them, quite literally, her whole life. They are intelligent dogs, they don't shed, and she loves their personalities. She has never owned a pet that sheds, and so would not want to deal with that issue, but knows if she gets a poodle, she won't have to! She tried for months to find a "rescue poodle." The shelters near her that she called said they almost never get them anyway. She called the area "poodle rescue group." She volunteered to be a foster home. They never returned her calls. Still she persisted, though at one point, after potential dog after potential dog possibilites fell through, she and her husband actually went to a breeder to look at puppies. Eventually they got a "rescue poodle" but they were very patient. They are good dog owners, and know what to expect with a poodle.
That is why they would buy a purebred dog. Does that answer your question?

The same could be true of many people - just change the breed, and the desired characteristics.

Everyone is different. We, at Pet Talk, should respect that. This is Pet Talk, not Mutt Talk or Pug Talk - all pets and their owners are welcome here, and always should be.

Love and respect - remember that, everyone!

Slave of 15 Dogs
06-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Maybe everyone on both sides just need to lighten up a little and enjoy everyone else's posts and sharing. Being different and having different likes and dislikes are what makes this world an interesting place to live.

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-26-2002, 08:07 PM
If I can just take a shot at helping to answer your question Power Lunger.....
I think the reason that people may go a breeder instead of a shelter to get a pure bred dog is that they want the experience of raising a puppy.... Many people choose a pure breed based on color, personality, etc. and the chances of a shelter having that specific puppy I'm sure is slim to none... I can't imagine too many breeders dropping off a litter of puppies at a shelter although I very well could be wrong I don't work at a shelter..... I also have a bleeding heart for shelter animals... but like everyone else has said I believe the problem is because of irresponsable owners not people who buy from breeders...:)

Presley
06-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Karen thank you and i am sorry i flipped but this topic wears very thin after awhile.
This is a wonderful place and it is actually the First pet type of forum i found. I do enjoy it here and the people. But i wish this topic would go away.

anyways thank you all..
Melissa

Sudilar
06-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Confession time.
My first GSD was pure-bred of German lineage. Wonderful personality, my dog of a lifetime. He had hip dysplasia and died of a heart attack at the age of 10. He took my heart with him.

My second was a Great Pyrenees (pure-bred) from a Pet Shop. I could NOT leave her there in that little cage. She was a huge puppy and this was the early 80's, not even I knew what kind of dog she was. I quickly got info on the breed and in my mind, saved her from the pet shop. Who would have bought such an expensive dog with long long hair that was to grow up to 100-150lbs.? She had leg problems because of her leg conformation, but she lived to the ripe old age of 12 1/2 (life expectancy 8-10 yrs.). Great dog, I loved her dearly.

Third and fourth dogs are kill shelter rescues. Pure-bred. I chose Killian because he was in such terrible shape. I could not let him die. I would get him all the help in the world. Shiloh is very healthy. Both are wonderful dogs.

I have done it all. I don't regret any of it. I've been blessed with the best of all worlds.

If a pure-bred is desired and you want to rescue, go to a breed specific rescue. You can have both.

Sue

pupper-lover
06-26-2002, 09:46 PM
When I first responded to this thread, I thought I was innocently adding my input to a question asked. I had no idea things would get this heated. I was upset, at first. I felt as if I was being attacked and demeaned for falling in love with a Golden Retriever. I think PowerLounger, like many others here, was posting out of frustration, not hatred or disrespect. He/she has already apologized. We all love our pets dearly, no one is questioning that. Everyone that I have met in Pet Talk, including Powerlounger, have been wonderful, loving, responsible people that happen to have one thing in commom. We love to talk about animals!

I started the responses to this thread and I would appreciate, if you all would let me end it. Please. Let's all move on to more positive things.

Animals are great and so are people that care about them, lets talk about that :D

We are are having a pet contest and need your imput! It's gonna be fun! Look for the posts!:D

Peace all!

Dixieland Dancer
06-26-2002, 09:54 PM
I do believe I answered why some of us want to own purebred dogs in my last post. That is what and why this post was started. I also believe others have posted why they want a purebred dog. I do not think that some of you choose to understand that response. And that is sad! :(

I realize there are many quality pets in a shelter. I do not think just because a animal comes from a shelter you are asking for a death wish. I also do not believe that they are all sickly. In fact, I would believe that the majority are healthy and very promising adoptees. But to make a blanket statement that they are healthier than the best breeders champions is derogatory and unproven. Responsible breeders breed for the betterment of the breed. That includes breeding for healthier animals. I am involved in Golden rescue and do support my local shelter. I was very involved in helping that shelter to become a no kill shelter.

I do not want to feel like I am being judged because I prefer to own a purebred dog and do not have a rescue dog in my house. This thread is not the first time on Pet Talk that I have felt like someone takes the opportunity to slam purebred dog owners. We need to all realize we have an important role in the dog world. And that is doing what is necessary to make the public aware of what is involved in responsible dog ownership!

If purebred and mixed breed enthusiasts work together to educate the average uneducated dog owner then we are all further ahead of the game. I love my purebred dogs and will always love my Goldens. To me they are everything I want and need in a dog. I am sure that each of us feels the same about their dogs. So let's just agree to respect each other for our desires, needs and beliefs.

Aly, you know I respect you for your involvement in rescue. I have also admitted that it is a role I could not fill. And while you write that most breeders are not like me, I also believe that most people who adopt a dog from a shelter are not like you. We are the extremes and need to help those we come in contact with to realize why we have such strong passions about our furry friends and work towards making it better from both ends. I think all the dogs (purebred and mixed) need advocates to help speak up for them! I thank you for your passion and also thank the others on this board who realize it takes all of us to make it better! We all have one major common denominator and that is WE ALL LOVE DOGS!!! No matter where we get them from! :D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

Aspen and Misty
06-26-2002, 11:48 PM
I also felt like my dog Teddy was being attacked. We love Teddy and just because he is a purebred and from a breeder makes him no less of a dog then that of a shelter dog. I agree with Presley, I also thought pet talk was about loving all animals and it is sad when some one says they hate purebreds because people breed them for certain traits. I was discouraged to get a dog from the pound because he would be a mutt and we didn’t know his history. We didn't know what we were getting. He could have been abused as a puppy and afraid of people. Or when he was little he could have been aloud to bite and he might bite now that he is older. With a pure-bred you know what you are getting, the temperament and you can talk to the breeder weeks in advance, visit the dogs regularly and know that your dog will be exactly what you want.

Proud owner of a PUR-BRED dog and a shelter rescue..both loved equally treated equally and I am glad we bought Teddy from a breeder, I have never met a dog so well trained before, the second you say sit he sits the second you say down he lies down. He knows hand signals and everything. I have had Chewy for 2 weeks, we started training 4 days ago and he already knows lie down and sit. They both are smart. Neither one if more important to me and I would risk my life for either. I agree with buying a dog from the breeder and rescuing a dog from the pound, as long as you are willing to train the dog and love it.

I agee with my profile......

shais_mom
06-27-2002, 01:05 AM
In my adult life that I have lived by myself I have/had 2 dogs and 1 cat. Both dogs have been purebred. The cat is a barn cat mix with maybe a little maine coon along the lines. I 'rescued' her from a friend from work when her boyfriend/now fiance' who didn't like her b/c of her long white hair threw her into the wall. I couldn't have asked for a nicer, more loving cat. I wouldn't change it for the world. And I sure as heck wouldn't give her back.
Now my dogs:
Almost 3 years ago I went to the humane society looking for a small scruffy Benji like dog that I could have in my small house with medium sized yard. I didn't take into account that I would be looking into the warm, fawnlike eyes of a breed I have never seen before. Greyhound. Looking into those eyes stole my heart never to get it back.
Looking into her face, I had no choice but to take her home. Shaianne was my dog of a lifetime my first love, she made me the person I am now. When God decided to call her home to help him 9-13-02, I was devastated. I wanted to die and go with her. I just wanted her back. I miss her everyday and think of her everyday.
When one of my sweet friends told me they had a litter of golden retriever's on the way and I could have their puppy b/c they didn't have anyone to give it too. I essentially 'rescued' her. Or so I like to think. I guess it makes me feel better. I would have never, ever paid money like that for a dog. I had every intention of going to the shelter and looking again for another 'dog'.
But I figger I saved Keegan from ending up in the shelter.
When I went to the shelter 3 years ago there were more purebreed dogs there then mutts/mixes. I never would have thought I would have a purebreed dog let alone a greyhound or a golden.
I agree with responsible breeding. People don't think these days. Nor do they care too. When I made the comment about getting Keegan spayed a lady from work says "oh you shouldn't do that, let her have some puppies, it will make them better dogs. Our dog is so old now her last litter only had one puppy." Like this is a good thing? hello?!
duh!
I argued about the risk of cancer, etc having a dog in heat in the house etc. And she ignored me. Whatever. Obviously she with 4-5 kids and an outside dog doesn't look at her dog like I look at mine!
I think there are good breeders and bad breeders. You can find a pure breed at the shelter but it may not be what you want. If you want to know the bloodlines and health or want a rare or hard to find breed then go for it. The fact of the matter is you are getting a friend for life and that is what matter's.
Presley, Thank God you didn't leave. I would miss seeing Presley's precious face! I think you did everything exactly right and with the seizures that Presley has had it is a good thing you got her when you did!
Power Lounger, welcome! We are a wonderful group of people that I wouldn't change for the world!

aly
06-27-2002, 04:40 AM
I am sorry that I was so misunderstood. As I stated earlier, this is a highly emotional topic that probably prevents some from reading the true message that is actually here. I don't care if you want a pure breed, mixed, or alien from outer space. I just wanted to point out that yes, shelters have dogs just as good and better than breeders' dogs. No, I did not say a majority of them are better, but you would be surprised. Champion bloodlines mean nothing to me but we have had dogs in the shelter with their fancy bloodlines, papers, etc. We've also had cats that have won several cat shows. I take it personally when people look down on shelter dogs. I don't look down on pure breeds. I do look down on most (not all) breeders.

This topic isn't about "my mutt is better than your pure bred". As pupper-lover pointed out, a question was asked out of frusteration, not hatred. After you see so many homeless faces on a daily basis, you do get frusterated. This question wasn't a personal attack on anyone. I am sorry some took it that way. I have nothing against pure breeds and may have one someday if one turns up at the shelter that I fall in love with. I never judge by breed anyway, always personality. There are so many exceptions to the rules that I really hate to make generalizations about any breed. Just as you guys were offended by people making comments about non-rescued dogs, I am now offended by the comments about shelter dogs. I stand by the statement that we have many that are better than the breeders'.

aly
06-27-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
I think the reason that people may go a breeder instead of a shelter to get a pure bred dog is that they want the experience of raising a puppy.... Many people choose a pure breed based on color, personality, etc. and the chances of a shelter having that specific puppy I'm sure is slim to none...

Actually we always have a WIDE selection of puppies. You should see some of the cuties we get :D

Power Lounger
06-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Aly,
You articulated everything I have felt. I feel like I'm being attacked for what I thought was a legitimate question. I do NOT look down on purebreds, I love all dogs (all animals, actually). I just see too many thrown away. And I feel that many breeders have contributed to that sorry situation. But, that's my opinion, & all who disagree, that is certainly your right. And I don't hold it against you. You all have your unique stories. And I have mine. I would think that sharing them wouldn't bring such an onslaught of negative commentary.

Dixieland Dancer
06-27-2002, 08:03 AM

Perhaps Power lounger needs to reread her own words near the beginning of this thread to realize why some of us who owned purebred dogs felt attacked. And as I stated earlier, I did answer why I want and have purebred dogs. My dogs are not status symbols to me. And you don't need to get it.... ever! All you need to do is love your dogs and let the rest of us love our dogs!

While I love my Goldens, I would never make a statement such as I couldn't care less if mutts ceased to exist, I would take my purebred over it anyday. Those words are bitter and hurtful and not words that should be written to inflame others. Besides that is not how I feel at all. I LOVE ALL DOGS!

It would be convienent for the tables to be turned here and have it that the purebred dog owners are attacking the mixed breed owners but I reread the posts and do not see anywhere where that was done. Personally I think this post has gone on long enough and I will not add anymore to it. I just hope we can all move past this to realize we all have a stake in making the world a better place for all dogs to live!

Slave of 15 Dogs
06-27-2002, 08:14 AM
Well, as I said before...I'm not quite sure why there has to be such dissention in the ranks. The intent here is to post about our dogs, whether they be pure breeds from a breeder, or a pure breed from a shelter, or a mutt from a farm, or a mutt from a shelter, it really doesn't matter as long as they are loved and well taken care of.

Power Lounger, I think your question was a legitimate one, and I have had the same question, and I think that it has been answered here. I don't think that the intent was to make people take sides on the issue, simply to get an answer to a question. Another reason that I choose to get my dogs from a shelter is the cost involved. I'm not willing to pay the money for a pure breed from a breeder...shoot I do that for everything...I'm a bargain shopper!! lol The most we have spent on a dog is 100 dollars and that was for Max, and some of them have been "free." Sox, Tigger, George, Billy, Dudley, Daisy, and Jessie have all come to us at no cost.

While I understand that some people get their dogs from breeders for temperment, I'm unclear how it is guarenteed that they will be of good temperment, Candy, could you explain that to me? I've never figured that out. Is temperment genetic?? That would be another interesting idea if it is...if temperment is genetic in dogs, could it be genetic in humans?? I would think it would since every living thing on earth has the same basic DNA. HMMMMM....I just came up with a good Science Fair project!!! Yep, that's me, forever the teacher brain!!! lol

Anyway, Candy, or any other breeders out there, could you explain it to me?? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Ok, now back to what I started to say before I started blithering...I think that because Pet Talk was founded on the principle that we share stories about our PETS, that we should just agree to disagree on some points and move on! It seems to me that each "side" is trying to convince the other, and that's not what it's about.

I'm done now, I've said my peace and I feel better now...thanks for listening to me babble.

Pam
06-27-2002, 08:27 AM
Candy, I think you hit the nail on the head to explain why this thread went the way it did. It was this quote from Power Lounger....

I couldn't care less if purebreds ceased to exist, I would take a mutt any day over it.

This is not the type of thing we are accustomed to reading here at Pet Talk. We are a loving community and welcome all pet lovers to join us in raving about our pets, no matter what type they are. I really think this thread has outlived its usefulness!

pupper-lover
06-27-2002, 08:47 AM
Since you all are still talking, I guess I cannot retire from this thread yet, as Saversmont and I were the ones being "attacked" from the beginning.

Originally posted by Slave of 15 Dogs
Power Lounger, I think your question was a legitimate one, and I have had the same question, and I think that it has been answered here.

I agree that the question was a valid one. Powerlounger's response to the question, whether intended to be harsh and hurtful or not, was very offending to those of us who have or have had purebreed animals. When someone flat out tells me they wish my dog didn't exist and I am responsible for all the poor creatures on death row, I get mad, as we all would.

This argument escalated, not because a question was asked, but because, the original posts to the question, including mine were ignored for their good intentions and answered with cruel words.

We have answered the question of why people go to a breeder to get purebreeds and why people rescue. We all have to live with our pets, and we must do what is best for ourselves and our family. Some people find their perfect furry mate at a shelter, some find it at the breeder. I found mine both places. There is nothing wrong with providing a loving home for an animal. It's bloodline does not determine it's worth. We all know that.

Let's take all of the frustration and information, we have built up on this thread, and use it to make animals lives a bit better. We are responsible pet owners. We love our pets and give them the chance to appreciate wonderful lives. They do the same, if not more, for us.

Power Lounger
06-27-2002, 09:15 AM
So, let me understand, I cannot have that opinion that I, personally, couldn't care less if purebreds ceased to exist, I didn't say DOGS, I said purebreds. I've read threads here that out & out said they won't go to the shelter because they're not sure of the temperament, health, etc. of a dog.

Because one will go to a breeder, that dog at the shelter will CEASE TO EXIST. That's a fact. Now, some look at that as an attack on them personally. Too bad.

I am merely pointing out to you there are perfectly good dogs at shelters & rescues, why not check that out. You don't want to, that's your choice.

But I'm done here. Clearly, I'm a horrible person & shouldn't have come to a dog forum to ask this question.

Dixieland Dancer
06-27-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Slave of 15 Dogs

While I understand that some people get their dogs from breeders for temperment, I'm unclear how it is guarenteed that they will be of good temperment, Candy, could you explain that to me? I've never figured that out. Is temperment genetic??

I will try to answer. Yes, I do believe that temperment is genetic. I also believe that it can be influenced by environment to a degree so both genetics and environment play a part in the outcome of the temperment. For that reason you can not guarentee the temperment 100%.

When the puppies are 49 days old they are temperment tested to a strict set of guidelines established by the Golden Retriever Club of America to determine strengths and weaknesses in temperment.

Case in point is the one dog in the same litter as Dusty that I recently was informed was aggressive. There is not another dog in the litter that is aggessive and his temperment test at 49 days did not show any of these traits either. But his environment has influenced him to become food aggressive since he was not getting enough to eat and then was teased by the children in the family. He is in a new home now and doing well.

A responsible breeder trying to better the breed will investigate the line of the potential mate for health, temperment and conformation. The goal is to attempt to breed as close to or better than the standard. Knowing my girls faults to the standard and her strong points, I attempted to find a male that could compliment her strong points and enhance her weak points but not add any traits that would create weakness in the offspring.

Bottom line....Temperment, health and conformation can not be guarenteed 100% but the breeder can attempt to come as close to 100% as possible through selective and careful mating.

Kfamr
06-27-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by mary_jsn

Simba has to be the most patient, trained, SMARTEST, and easiest to train dog I've EVER known..... I'm surprised HE has the patients to put up with ME!!!:P

I LOVE pure breed dogs. I think people want them for their beauty and for the chance they might be better then thoose mutts at the shelter.... I used to walk a pure bred chocolate lab... I tell you he was living HELL. I loved him to death though..a real cyte lil (or should a say big) boy. I used to work with trying to train him and stuff....

Anyways... I myself would never go to a breeder for a dog. I find mutts or shelter dogs much more unique and well behaved.

THIS POST WAS NOT MEANING TO OFFEND ANYONE, IF IT DID, I APOLOGIZE.

pupper-lover
06-27-2002, 09:40 AM
So, let me understand, I cannot have that opinion that I, personally, couldn't care less if purebreds ceased to exist, I didn't say DOGS, I said purebreds. I've read threads here that out & out said they won't go to the shelter because they're not sure of the temperament, health, etc. of a dog.

Because one will go to a breeder, that dog at the shelter will CEASE TO EXIST. That's a fact. Now, some look at that as an attack on them personally. Too bad.

I am merely pointing out to you there are perfectly good dogs at shelters & rescues, why not check that out. You don't want to, that's your choice.

But I'm done here. Clearly, I'm a horrible person & shouldn't have come to a dog forum to ask this question.

No one called anyone a horrible person.

Everyone knows there are tons of dogs that need homes or they will die. I am not going to pack my apartment with animals, that I don't want and can't handle. It is wrong for someone to get a pet they either don't want or cannot handle, whether it's purebred or mutt. One of the major reasons there are so many animals in shelters, is because people dispose of pets they were not prepared for. A pet is a lifelong commitment. Not a decision based on pity. We must make a decision based on what is right for us. I love animals. I have saved lives, but I am not capable of saving every pet out there. I will do what is right for me, my family, and my dogs.

Those who think shelter animals are dirty disgusting creatures are as wrong and hurtful, as saying you would like it if purebred's ceased to exist. Pet Talk is open to all people who love to talk about animals. We all have different opinions, we are entitled to have these opinions, and welcomed to share these opinions. However, if one cannot share opinions in a way that is not derogitory to other people on this site, than that person is not upholding the wonderful values that makes this site such a great place to visit. Saying you could care less, if you hurt our feelings, degrade our choices, and insult our loved ones is completely against what we stand for as productive members of society. Respect for each other is essential.

Presley
06-27-2002, 10:15 AM
Puppylover this topic has attacked many people and it has for a long time.. Like i said it is really hard for someone to come and want to post when they see the jabs towards a pure bred dog. I don't understand why people need to do that. It would be like me coming on and making jabs at anyone who has a mixed breed. I am sure some of you would feel the same way we are feeling when we see the comments that are made about pure breds.. We all got our animals and we all love them and are taking care of them the best we know how pure bred or not. And i think it is a pretty sad thing to be fighting about. I for one am sick of the whole topic and I wish these jabs on this thread or any other threat wouldn't take place.. No breed is better then another just like mixes are no better or worse then a mixed or pure bred.. Also just like no one person is better then another.
can we all just drop it please.

pupper-lover
06-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Presley
Puppylover this topic has attacked many people and it has for a long time.. Like i said it is really hard for someone to come and want to post when they see the jabs towards a pure bred dog. I don't understand why people need to do that. It would be like me coming on and making jabs at anyone who has a mixed breed. I am sure some of you would feel the same way we are feeling when we see the comments that are made about pure breds.. We all got our animals and we all love them and are taking care of them the best we know how pure bred or not. And i think it is a pretty sad thing to be fighting about. I for one am sick of the whole topic and I wish these jabs on this thread or any other threat wouldn't take place.. No breed is better then another just like mixes are no better or worse then a mixed or pure bred.. Also just like no one person is better then another.
can we all just drop it please.

I completely agree with you.:)

Karen
06-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Okay, I'm closing this thread now. We've gone over the same points over and over.

Let us agree:

Dogs are great.

We love dogs.

We love pets.

We love all animals, and we try hard to see that, from this point forward, any and all animals we can help are treated with love and respect.

We agree to disagree about somethings, but still be respectful of eacxh other's opinions.

Anybody who wants to disagree with this, Private Message me. Or email me - [email protected].

So be it, amen and amen.

Karen