PDA

View Full Version : multiple boxes, now what?

ashleycat
02-08-2007, 08:02 PM
We've got multiple boxes but Ashley still insist she pees infront of the box. I put a plastic box there to capture litter so it's not going onthe carpet. She's been doing this since before Jake. I thought it was she didn't like the litter (crystals) so I went to a sand like scoopable. She quit for a while then started again. She's healthy so I don't know why she prefers out. Could it be the cover?

Laura's Babies
02-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Could be she don't like a covered box... My sister warned me before I got Kitty Boo that she didn't like a covered one, she also warned me she is
P I C K Y about the litter she will use too.

Freedom
02-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Could be the cover for several reasons
- she doesn't like the smells it captures
- she is too big to sit comfortably with the roof over her head
- she feels claustraphobic with the enclosure
- she is arthritic (I don't know her age) and the cover makes it too awkward for her
- some other eason (She hasn't actually spoke to me! :D )

Try taking the cover off. My Mr. Amber Cat refused to use boxes with lids, never did figure out why.

ashleycat
02-09-2007, 10:26 AM
guess I'll be getting a deeper box then. Jake likes to REALLY dig ;)

Catty1
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Hold off buying a deeper box until you find out IF uncovering them makes a difference!

Medusa
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I've read that some cats prefer the box to be uncovered because a covered one creates an "outhouse" effect. Humans prefer them covered because we don't like to see or smell the waste but I don't know one person who likes an outhouse. :eek: If it's going to keep your kitty happy and stop the peeing outside the box, I'd try it uncovered and see how it goes.

Blessings,
Mary

catmandu
02-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I Found That Putting An Uncovered Box To A Covered One Gave Them An Option, And There Have Been A Lot Fewer Accidents At The Hotel.

catnapper
02-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Most cats feel trapped in a covered box. Allen reuses to use one. She might also have started to do that even before Jake because many cats don't like to pee where they've pooped. So once she started to do it, she figured it was acceptable behavior and continued to do it.

Also the box might have been too small from the start. Or the litter level too low, etc. There are a hundred reasons why she started to do it.

momtomany
02-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I have both covered and uncovered for my brood of 11. The option of both seems to make them happy and I have some that will use both and don't seem to have a preference. I used to only have covered ones. But one of my babies would sit on top and wait for her unsuspecting siblings to come out and then whack whoever a few times on the head. Well, when the some of crew got wise, they started doing the same to her. She got scared and stopped using the covered litter box and would do her business in the house. I had to retrain her to use an uncovered litter box. You know, we gotta and do just love them don't we!! :D