PDA

View Full Version : Dear Sweet Nyia

kuhio98
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/08/toddler.death.ap/index.html

I am so sorry that you were not loved and cherished in this life. I pray that you are warm, happy and healthy now.

I imagine you surrounded by our furbabies who have crossed the bridge before us. It brings a smile to my face through the tears of your short, sad life.

Kuhio? Would you do me a favor? Please cuddle little Nyia for us. Purr your little heart out and dry her tears with your kitty fur.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- The father of a young girl who died of exposure had knocked her unconscious because he was angry she wouldn't go to bed, then took her outside in freezing temperatures and left her there, police said before the man's arraignment Thursday.

Nyia Miangel Page, who was about to turn 2, was found dead Sunday on a wooded knoll about a 10 minute walk from the family's home.

Tiny footprints in the snow suggested she had gotten up and wandered around before she died, police said.

Her father, William Lorenzo Page, 23, of Braddock, was arrested on charges of criminal homicide, kidnapping, false reports and simple assault. He did not have an attorney in court Thursday morning, and was jailed without bond.

Page told police he woke up early Saturday and found the girl awake and playing near a mirror in the hallway, according to the criminal complaint. He said he got mad when the girl wouldn't go back to bed, so he hit her so hard she hit her head and was unconscious, the complaint said.

Page then took her outside wrapped in a blanket and left her, police said.

An autopsy determined Nyia died of hypothermia, but the Allegheny County Medical Examiner ruled the death a homicide because investigators said it was unreasonable to assume the child got to the wooded location alone.

Her small body was found about a 10-minute walk from her home, a trek that would have included climbing 17 snowy steps up to a wooded knoll.

A witness had seen Page enter his house Saturday morning from the direction where his daughter was found, police said. He was back out on the street about an hour later, saying he was looking for the girl and telling the witness, "Somebody took my daughter," according to a criminal complaint.

Nyia's mother told police she last saw the girl after Nyia tried to crawl into bed with her parents about 12:30 a.m. Saturday. The mother told police she put the youngster back into her own bed in an upstairs room.

Police, emergency crews and bloodhounds searched in 20-degree temperatures for most of two days before finding the little girl's body.

Page, who did not have an attorney in court Thursday morning, was jailed without bond.

cassiesmom
02-08-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm sure Jasmine, my sister's kitty, is snuggling up to her for petting too -- and so are Catmandu's rainbow bridge kitties ... this story makes me very sad.

kittycats_delight
02-08-2007, 05:02 PM
some man huh??? What a piece of crap!!! I have much stronger words for it(him) but this is a family community and I cannot use them her. Takes a real big man to do what he did to that poor little angel. That piece of garbage is lower than the crap stuck to the bottom of me boot. May all the inmates know his crime and give him just punishment until he can truly meet him maker and answer for what he has done.

cassiesmom
02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I heard this on the news last night. Not as heartbreaking as the previous story but still maddening. No one bothered to check on this disabled man and make sure he was warm?! "Dennis Prince, 47, was found dead sitting in a wheelchair in his unheated bedroom, according to officials. His caretaker took him to Advocate Trinity Hospital, where he was pronounced dead there at 12:39 p.m. Tuesday. A medical examiner determined hypothermia, cold exposure and cerebral palsy contributed to his death."

lizbud
02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
That poor baby. :( :( Rest with the angels Nyla. :(

davidpizzica
02-08-2007, 08:30 PM
What disgusts me a little more is that it happened pretty much near me in Pittsburgh. That "man", and I use the term loosely, should be sentenced to EXACTLY the same punishment that he sentenced precious Nyla to, i.e. frozen. Her picture is all over the news here along with her miserable excuse of a father. Nyla, you're at the Bridge now where everything and everyone there will care about you. R.I.P. precious Nyla!

BOBS DAD
02-08-2007, 11:23 PM
What disgusts me a little more is that it happened pretty much near me in Pittsburgh. That "man", and I use the term loosely, should be sentenced to EXACTLY the same punishment that he sentenced precious Nyla to, i.e. frozen. Her picture is all over the news here along with her miserable excuse of a father. Nyla, you're at the Bridge now where everything and everyone there will care about you. R.I.P. precious Nyla!

David,

I agree with you and for me - it is even more disheartening. Braddock is where this man was from. I grew up in Braddock Hills and know the area well. I can envision the area and the steps the man had to take to carry his poor little daughter's body there.

Unbelievable. Why??? Did he think he had killed her already (by hitting her) and was trying to hide the evidence? Poor little beautiful baby girl. Poor sad, sad world.

davidpizzica
02-09-2007, 12:11 AM
David,

I agree with you and for me - it is even more disheartening. Braddock is where this man was from. I grew up in Braddock Hills and know the area well. I can envision the area and the steps the man had to take to carry his poor little daughter's body there.

Unbelievable. Why??? Did he think he had killed her already (by hitting her) and was trying to hide the evidence? Poor little beautiful baby girl. Poor sad, sad world.
I used to have aunts that lived on Cherry Way near the Edgar Thompson Works and I too know the area where Nyia was found. It truly is a very black eye for both Braddock and Pittsburgh

cmayer31
02-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I rarely pray, but I will say some words for this poor child. RIP Nyia, you're in a better place away from the hatred and evil that took you from this world.

gini
02-09-2007, 01:29 AM
I find that I can barely read these stories - my stomach literally gets tied in knots - my compassion for this precious child just wrenches at my heart.

Truly - perhaps God took her way to end her suffering........she certainly must be in a better place than near this monster.

I really do feel that castration would be too mild a sentence for someone who would do this to a child.