PDA

View Full Version : Grrr!!! I'm So Angry About This!! Blind Cat Bronx, Ny

QueenScoopalot
02-08-2007, 06:41 AM
http://members5.boardhost.com/AcmeHouseOfCats/msg/1170923455.html

I'm boiling mad :mad: at this persons comment "set her free", and listing on eBay! :mad: A blind cat, set free in NY stands near zero chances of surviving for more than 48 hours! Is anyone on PT near enough to this idiot to get this cat from her till better options open up? And slap sense into her too?
Contact info is here.
http://members5.boardhost.com/AcmeHouseOfCats/msg/1170923197.html
And a good slam festival going on eBay Forums.
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000437108&tstart=0&mod=1170922852466

Laura's Babies
02-08-2007, 08:11 AM
There is nothing on that ebay page :confused: ... I see why you are so mad though. I hope there is somebody here that can take her!

Lizzie
02-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Jan - did you post it into the Yahoo blind/deaf/specialcats group? I hope this woman is capable of understanding why she is being lambasted for her behavior, though if she is dense enough to believe setting a blind cat "free" in the Bronx is better than taking it to a shelter then perhaps not.

I did a home visit on a couple who were considering adopting a one-eyed cat that I'd scooped up on campus, slowly starving to death because he'd been "set free" already one-eyed, had been hit by a car and had a broken jaw. They saw him, knew his history, but when I visited and asked about the litter box area they showed me their back garden with a broken fence. When I turned them down, they were very shocked.

I don't know that we have anyone on PT in that area, but hopefully there is someone with contacts there.

KitCat
02-08-2007, 09:59 AM
That is just ignorant!

Anikaca77
02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
i e-mailed her to ask her if she is really serious about putting this poor blind cat outside. i'm not sure what i can do right now i already have 5 cats in a one-bedroom apartment......

this sucks so bad....she is really stupid...

catfamily
02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll be happy to take her but cannot afford the airfare(At all!!).We are broke but have room in our home.Mike will kill me for writing this,but I'll email her.
I know Jan,it makes me very upset too.This must REALLY get you angry.(you devote all your time getting cats in need off the streets.And then there are people like THIS! :( And a BLIND cat! :mad:

OK....I emailed her. :rolleyes: That poor cat!

catlover4ever
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Maybe we could do an intra-state transport. I'm in CT and depending on where in Maine you live, it's only 3.5 hours for me to get to the Maine State Line on I 95.

sprokett
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
does the local rescue centre no about this coz if they do they should rescue it!!!!

catfamily
02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
I hope someone there rescues it so it doesn't get out on the streets.
I'll let you know if she replies back

kimlovescats
02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I didn't read the links, as I know it would just infuriate me even more!!!!! :mad: Carla, you are such a sweetheart for offering to take this poor kitty into your home.

Hugs,
Kim

catfamily
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I just need to offer.I don't want it in the streets.It kills me to think of it.
We can feed it and give it a home.But we cannot get it here.
Of course I wouldn't tell Mike until last minute.But it's better than being on the street.(BLIND!)
Mike really will be upset because feeding our own is getting super expensive.
I'm sure she won't email me back.She probably wants money.But...you never know.

I'm accually hoping someone else will take it so I don't have to put up with Mike being mad at me for a while.
But I emailed her saying I'd take it if she wants to get it here.

Let's see her response.

I want to add....I know the cat would do fine here and will get tons of love.If anyone here on PT is worried about that.Mike always comes around.

QueenScoopalot
02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Jan - did you post it into the Yahoo blind/deaf/specialcats group? I hope this woman is capable of understanding why she is being lambasted for her behavior, though if she is dense enough to believe setting a blind cat "free" in the Bronx is better than taking it to a shelter then perhaps not.

I did a home visit on a couple who were considering adopting a one-eyed cat that I'd scooped up on campus, slowly starving to death because he'd been "set free" already one-eyed, had been hit by a car and had a broken jaw. They saw him, knew his history, but when I visited and asked about the litter box area they showed me their back garden with a broken fence. When I turned them down, they were very shocked.

I don't know that we have anyone on PT in that area, but hopefully there is someone with contacts there.
Lizzie, thanks to my hubby I can't access the Yahoo Groups anymore. I don't know his password, and even if I did the darn 'puter thinks its him! :mad: I registered for several groups a long time ago, and get the digest forms sent to my inbox. If you can crosspost there (or someone else) please do!
Glad you did the home visit before placing that poor kitty, and tough for them for being so stunned they didn't get him. ;)
Carla, You are something else my dear friend! Don't you have enough yet? :confused:
I did email "Blind Cat Rescue" and Alana I'm sure has emailed this person.
I don't think emailing and slamming her descision to dump will do any good though. If you do email, be nice and avoid this moron getting defensive and dumping the cat anyway.
I know..hard to be nice..I want to take a train to the Bronx and strangle this idiot so badly! :mad: Oh yeah...and take the cat. :D

QueenScoopalot
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
There is nothing on that ebay page :confused: ... I see why you are so mad though. I hope there is somebody here that can take her!
Laura, The second link says that eBay took the thread off. I wish I had copied and pasted it before that happened. Oh well..bottom line is try to get the cat into a safe place even if only for a few days.

catmandu
02-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Its A Shame That I Am Not Closer As I Know That That Little Blind Cat Would Be In A Big Warm Cat Pile In No Time At All, Getting Kitty Kissies.
I Pray That Somewhere Theres A Sanctuary For Those Poor Cat.

catfamily
02-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Her email is :[email protected]

This is what I emailed to her:

I have a few cats of my own in Maine.Me and my husband have no children and are retired here.I cannot for the life of me how anyone could set a cat out on the street after being in a home already.
But sending a blind cat out is unthinkable.
I can take her.,..I can give her a loving home.
But we have no money for transport.We are on a fixed income.
Figure that part out...and your blind cat will always be happy with us.
My Full Name
My email address

So I don't know if I'll here from her or not.But it's too late to change anything Jan.I don't think I was slamming her but your right....maybe I shouldn't of said anything to get her to think I'm upset with her.oh well.
Still no word from her.

catfamily
02-08-2007, 06:23 PM
OK I got her reply:

Hi Carla,

You have such a big heart and that's such a beautiful thing to see in this day and age. The house I live in was foreclosed on and I am being thrown out of my home by the new owners. I did find a new apartment to rent, but pets are not allowed. =(

I don't have any way of getting her to Maine. I don't even have a car myself, but I wish I could find a way. I am getting a lot of responses and I hope to see her in a loving home. I have faith that things will turn out well.

Thanks and I'll let you know how it turns out!

CatLover0001
02-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Hello, I am the person who was trying to find a home for my blind cat. I am crying as I type this. It's so upsetting how so many people could misunderstand me and doubt how much I love my cats. I'm so sad and hurt that anyone would call me names like idiot and talk about slapping me?? (sobs) And it's not my feelings that are even hurt, because I'm more worried about my cats than what anybody thinks of me. I thought of what I posted at eBay for hours before I posted it because I wanted to find her a good home, not see her harmed in any way! Why would I even have posted anything at all unless I wanted desperately to find her a home! =(

I want you all to know I'm not angry, just very hurt at the things that have been said about me. I just didn't know where else to post and people I know won't take her..and gosh, I've seen the stuff that goes on in shelters and I can't, I won't put her in one and turn my back to her while she watches me walk away from a cage in some kennel knowing what they might do to her there!

So I came to eBay. Full of hope. Full of urgency. Full of love. Maybe I'm not educated as to the right thing to do, but I am trying to do the right thing instead of just worrying about myself.

I am reposting an email I have sent out telling you all about her and my situation. I hope many people see it, because the more circulation it gets thet more people will know that she needs a home. Thank you so much for reading and caring for my kitty. I just wish you wouldn't say such hurtful things. I would never judge a person I know is at least trying to do the right thing.

Here is the original email:

She is about a year and a half old and I am trying to find my digital camera so I can take pictures, but I'm not having much luck. The house I live in was foreclosed on and I am being thrown out of my home by the new owners. They want me out by the end of the month and all my belongings are in a jumble! I did find a new apartment to rent, but pets are not allowed. =(

Other than her eyes being messed up, she's a beautiful rust color-a red, black and white mix and she has a leaner frame than my other cats. She has no real special needs as long as she's indoors because she gets around well. Also, she starts to purr very loudly and nuzzle you as soon as she senses your touch.

I am particularly worried about my blind cat.

But.

I also have about six other very lovely cats. I love them all so very much and I figured, why should I not try and find them a home too? So, if as many people as possible read this email, it’ll be great. I hope you'll consider one of my sweet cats, too.

There’s: Mommy; She’s black and white with huge animated eyes and a lovely face.

And Fluffy who is white like a grey wolf with sort of a tiger stripe pattern on her tail and legs (female)

Tiger is a big, beautiful male cat and he's a grey tabby, looks like a miniature tiger to me.

Patchy is a cutey with two red dots on her head and the rest of her body is very white with patches of dark grey and red (female).

And let’s not forget Blindey who is a rusty shade of back white and red.

They’re all very affectionate.

Thanks again! This whole situation is breaking my heart, but I can stand the sadness of giving my cats to other people, because the happiness of knowing they’ll live a good life (even if not with me) is enough.

Thank you so much!

Lizzie
02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I am sure that everyone on PT will make every attempt to understand your situation and give you all the help they can.

I think you will find if you continue to read PT that anyone on this forum in your position, and a few of them have been, would have their cat euthanized in their arms rather than walk away from them outside or leave them in a very high-kill shelter knowing they had no hope of adoption. How did people get the impression that you would leave her outside if you couldn't find someone to adopt her? What are your plans for the other cats if you can't find homes for them? I ask because I'm confused by your posting since it sounds like you are trying to find homes for them as a sort of add-on. Forgive the questions, we are trying to get to know you.

CatLover0001
02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Here is the post from eBay. The staff deleted it. Sorry, if I upset or offended anyone. With all this attention, she will definitely get a home!Thanks again for your time!

Hi, I am moving and unfortunately can't take my poor cat "Blindey" with me. She's a loving kitty with special needs. She is also a miracle cat! You see, when she was born, she had an eye infection that sadly caused her to be blind as an adult cat. I have seen other kittens like her who did NOT survive, but Blindey lived in spite of her condition and is now a warm, attentive and loving adult cat of about a year and a half old! She's a very blessed animal.

For a cat whose mostly blind, she gets along very well in our old two-story house. She comes for dinner and has no problem getting around. I just fear a cat like her won't have the same luck and safety on the streets of my neighborhood if I'm forced to set her free at the last minute. I don't want to put her in a shelter, because there are no "no-kill" shelters I can reach in my neighborhood and I can't bare the thought of putting her at a normal shelter where she'd be in cage for a week or so and then put to sleep!

Other than being blind, she is a healthy, lovable kitty cat.

I'm in the process of moving and this is my last attempt at finding her a kind person who will give her a lifetime of love like I wish I could. If you have a family or are just an individual with a big heart and lots of love to give to a pet who would REALLY appreciate that love, please contact me at: [email protected].

She is available for pick up in Bronx, New York and the only price I ask is that you give her a safe place to live, feed her and love her.

I can't seem to find a way to list her on eBay, but if you know someone in NYC please spread the word!

catfamily
02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
OK! I'm really Glad you wrote.I think you came to the RIGHT place.I DO hope ALL your cats get taken.I don't want ANY of your cats put out on the street at the last minute.Or any time at all.
I hope we can all work together here.
I'm willing to take 1.Maybe 2.
Too bad your so far away.I could foster all of them until we could all find a home for them.
Isn't any of your neighbors compassionate?I hope we can all work together now that we know the situation.
Carla

catfamily
02-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Mike just read the whole thread and wasn't mad...maybe he wouldn't get mad at me after all...if I fostered them all.Too bad there wasn't a way to get them here.

Lizzie
02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
There are lots of places that know how to organize a transport. Try Frappr, 911PetRescue, and Best Friends Network in the Transport forum. You will need to have people fill each leg of the journey and each person drives for about an hour then passes the pet on to the next.

doolittleky
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
How long exactly is it from where the cats are to carla's? Isn't there anyone here on PT in that area that could help drive?
Melissa

catfamily
02-08-2007, 09:44 PM
How long exactly is it from where the cats are to carla's? Isn't there anyone here on PT in that area that could help drive?
Melissa
I am about 4 hours south of Bangor, Maine Airport.
About 3 hours North of Logan Airport Boston , Massachusetts.
I know Nothing about Transport of cats.I never Travel.Plus I cannot Drive anywhere long with my back.
Mike still has not agreed...but he did read the whole thread and did not give me any discouraging look.But said...hopefully they'll find homes.I think he knows how hard though it really is to find good homes for these wonderful cats.Imagine if he said OK to all 6?That would be geat to keep 'em all together.
Remeber I took 7 at once from Jan?That worked out.And Mike even picked all 7 up in Massachusetts.

QueenScoopalot
02-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Hello, I am the person who was trying to find a home for my blind cat. I am crying as I type this. It's so upsetting how so many people could misunderstand me and doubt how much I love my cats. I'm so sad and hurt that anyone would call me names like idiot and talk about slapping me?? (sobs) And it's not my feelings that are even hurt, because I'm more worried about my cats than what anybody thinks of me. I thought of what I posted at eBay for hours before I posted it because I wanted to find her a good home, not see her harmed in any way! Why would I even have posted anything at all unless I wanted desperately to find her a home! =(

I want you all to know I'm not angry, just very hurt at the things that have been said about me. I just didn't know where else to post and people I know won't take her..and gosh, I've seen the stuff that goes on in shelters and I can't, I won't put her in one and turn my back to her while she watches me walk away from a cage in some kennel knowing what they might do to her there!

So I came to eBay. Full of hope. Full of urgency. Full of love. Maybe I'm not educated as to the right thing to do, but I am trying to do the right thing instead of just worrying about myself.

I am reposting an email I have sent out telling you all about her and my situation. I hope many people see it, because the more circulation it gets thet more people will know that she needs a home. Thank you so much for reading and caring for my kitty. I just wish you wouldn't say such hurtful things. I would never judge a person I know is at least trying to do the right thing.

Here is the original email:

She is about a year and a half old and I am trying to find my digital camera so I can take pictures, but I'm not having much luck. The house I live in was foreclosed on and I am being thrown out of my home by the new owners. They want me out by the end of the month and all my belongings are in a jumble! I did find a new apartment to rent, but pets are not allowed. =(

Other than her eyes being messed up, she's a beautiful rust color-a red, black and white mix and she has a leaner frame than my other cats. She has no real special needs as long as she's indoors because she gets around well. Also, she starts to purr very loudly and nuzzle you as soon as she senses your touch.

I am particularly worried about my blind cat.

But.

I also have about six other very lovely cats. I love them all so very much and I figured, why should I not try and find them a home too? So, if as many people as possible read this email, it’ll be great. I hope you'll consider one of my sweet cats, too.

There’s: Mommy; She’s black and white with huge animated eyes and a lovely face.

And Fluffy who is white like a grey wolf with sort of a tiger stripe pattern on her tail and legs (female)

Tiger is a big, beautiful male cat and he's a grey tabby, looks like a miniature tiger to me.

Patchy is a cutey with two red dots on her head and the rest of her body is very white with patches of dark grey and red (female).

And let’s not forget Blindey who is a rusty shade of back white and red.

They’re all very affectionate.

Thanks again! This whole situation is breaking my heart, but I can stand the sadness of giving my cats to other people, because the happiness of knowing they’ll live a good life (even if not with me) is enough.

Thank you so much!
Hello, and I don't know your name (mine's Jan), but when I first read your post on one of the forums, I have to say it really upset me! :( You stated that if your options ran out, you were going to "set her free", which from my extensive rescueing over many year = a not too pretty picture. I have crossposted onto as many forums as I can, and am BEGGING you to NOT let any of them loose especially this time of year. During the Winter time a housecats chances are very slim at surviving long at all. I apologize for my comments, but they were done in the heat of passion, and desperation. I'm trying every route I can (as are others) in your situation, and get your cats placed in good forever homes.
Please bear with us all while the power of the internet, and others passing along the word, your cats will find a loving santuary. ;) Being partial to special needs cats, this girl has touched my heart, and I sure hope you can find a bunch of great homes via Pet Talk etc. ;)
Posting here will give you a lot of leads I'm sure..Yahoo blind/deaf/specialcats group I am begging you to please hang on to your kitties until help comes from here or elsewhere. Jan

catfamily
02-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I was just coming on the computer once more before bed to say my apologies also for any harsh words too.I think all of us can learn from this.We all are very emotional people because of our cats.Mine are my children...I am super paranoid about anything happening to them.I watch them closely and do not let them out.I'm very loving with them.Mike too.
Jan has been rescuing for about 30 years or more and is also very emotional.
Please except our apologies.
Now,all we want to do is help.We know your a very loving person and emotional like us and want your cats ALIVE and well.

Anikaca77
02-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi, My name is Melissa and I received your e-mail as well. I really wish I could take a few of them in but I already have 5 cats in a one bedroom apartment so I'm at my limit.

I will pray that things will work out. Just try to hold on to them as long as you can.

Melissa

QueenScoopalot
02-09-2007, 08:30 AM
If any funding can be arranged, Alana from Blind Cat Rescue in N.C. is willing to take in Blindy. Here's a link to her website, and as you can 'see' (bad pun) her passion is blind cats. Mine is any special needs cat that is less than perfect. ;) http://blindcatrescue.com/
Several years ago Alana took in "Cora" who is pictured on her website. Cora was a lucky kitty girl when her original rescuer posted on Pet Talk, and through this magical place, Cora ended up with her forever home. :) I hope we can do the same for Blindy, and network to find help for the other kitties as well. Jan

catfamily
02-09-2007, 09:01 AM
I just called my sister in law in the bronx.
I forgot that my brother's wife's sister lives there.
She will try to help too.
Her friend traps every day and night.Has been for many many years.
And she also has another that does it.That has under 20 cats herself.
Right there in the Bronx in River Dale The West Side.
Hopefully Nina(my sister in law)can get help too.
Both can find homes for them I hope.

catlover4ever
02-09-2007, 09:42 AM
If Carla and Mike still want to take in Blindy or any others, and someone can get the cats to a meeting place on the CT border (Greenwich Area or New Haven which is closer to me) I can drive them from CT to Maine with no problem.

catfamily
02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
If Carla and Mike still want to take in Blindy or any others, and someone can get the cats to a meeting place on the CT border (Greenwich Area or New Haven which is closer to me) I can drive them from CT to Maine with no problem.
Your so nice.
I am waiting to hear back from her.The lady who has the cats.Plus my sister in law is emailing her today who lives in the bronx.She has 2 friends that trap and will find homes.I know they don't need trapping but these 2 girls will help my sister in law,get these cats homes.They are well use to it.I didn't know she lived in the bronx till today when I called my sister up to ask which part of New York she lived in.
So...let's wait and see if either I or my sister in law(That lives in the bronx)here's back from her.
Also....My niece goes to Colledge in the Bronx but she is in a dorm of course and allergic to cats.But I was hoping she'd (the lady with the cats)email me back so I can give my neice her phone # so my neice can ask her friends there to ask around for homes for the cats also.

Thanks.Your very kind to offer to drive.

catfamily
02-12-2007, 06:34 AM
My sister in law emailed her and did not hear back from her.I emailed a couple more times and also did not hear back from her.
I wish she would respond to her letter.
My sister in law lives in the Bronx and so does her friends that trap all the time there and is interested in helping with this.They will find homes or keep them until they find homes.
This is what my sister in law wrote back to me:

HiCarla,
I emailed Chrissy(the blind cat owner) on Friday, and still haven't heard back. Have you heard from her?I spoke to my friend, and she is interested in helping, but Chrissy hasn't responded.Let me know if you know anything else.
Thanks, nina

QueenScoopalot
02-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Thank you Carla for trying to help this woman find help for her cats. I sure hope she does right by them, and does NOT put them out on the streets. :( Every time I even hear that term, I recall the poor dead cat I peeled off the ice in a driveway 2 Winters ago. Children had seen the cat dead on the ice for a few days, and I had the kids go to their house for trash bags, and then I climbed over a chainlink fence and literally had to pull the poor kitty off the ice where it had froze to death. :( Not a nice memory.

catfamily
02-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Thank you Carla for trying to help this woman find help for her cats. I sure hope she does right by them, and does NOT put them out on the streets. :( Every time I even hear that term, I recall the poor dead cat I peeled off the ice in a driveway 2 Winters ago. Children had seen the cat dead on the ice for a few days, and I had the kids go to their house for trash bags, and then I climbed over a chainlink fence and literally had to pull the poor kitty off the ice where it had froze to death. :( Not a nice memory.
Cats absolutely cannot live on their own on the streets!
I wish I didn't get so overwhelmed by the thought of homeless cats trying to survive.
It's mostly the ones who have already been inside a home.The thought of them being sent on it's merry way...totally freaks me out!
My cats are like my kids.I can't imagine having them outside scared to death wondering what to do.

kimlovescats
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi Chrissy! I just wanted to say that I am impressed that you would post your two e-mails for us all to read here on PT. It is obvious to me that you love your kitties but have found yourself in a terrible situation! Again, we all here are very passionate about cats, and tend to get caught up in the heat of the moment before we often realize the whole situation. I feel like maybe your stating that you would put Blindey out on the street as a last resort, was an attempt to get more people to respond. Well, either way, it worked! ;) I have no doubt that the people here on PT will get your kitty into a safe and loving indoor home. It might take some work and a little time, but PLEASE don't give up on us!

Sincerely,
Kim :)

Medusa
02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh boy, this is disheartening. If I lived closer to this lady, it'd be a done deal, even though I swore that I was done w/rescuing. But the thought of cats out on the streets, esp. in the winter and esp. one being blind is just too much! I wish I could at least help w/transport but living in OH, that isn't doable either. But word is spreading, so it seems as though these cats will all find loving homes.

Blessings,
Mary

QueenScoopalot
02-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Well it's been 10 days since I posted this, and not a ~peep~ regarding the cats from Crissy. I wish I knew what has happened, and if she found someone to take the cats. There is Alana at Blind Cat Rescue that offered to take Blindey. And then there's the 6 others, but I have no clue if anyone's heard anything? :confused:

jenluckenbach
02-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Unbelievable how people ask for help and then do not take the help AND never bother to update!! I mean, she KNEW we cared and yet here we sit, not knowing. :(

Medusa
02-18-2007, 07:53 PM
It's maddening. I hope that means no news is good news.

Blessings,
Mary

catfamily
02-19-2007, 04:37 AM
My sister-n-law Nina lives in the Bronx wrote to her and she never bothered writing back.I know her friend would of found all 6 cats homes.EASY!!
Plus my neice goes to colledge there in the Bronx(My sister's oldest girl)and she has plenty of friends there that know people with nice family homes in the Bronx.
But Nina(my sister-n-law)was a sure thing.She has 2 trapper girlfriends (also lives in the Bronx)and 1 said she'd have all cats homed in a jiffy!!

moosmom
02-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Now that I'm semi-retired, I'd be happy to run the transport. I can even take her in till a home can be found, even though I live in a cramped one room apartment. The thought of that poor cat out on the streets in sub-freezing weather makes me ill. May that idiotic owner rot in hell!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Someone should turn them into the authorities.

Call me if you need me. 860-794-1157.