PDA

View Full Version : Oven cooking times

Sirrahsim
02-07-2007, 01:37 PM
I have volunteered to make my scrumptious Lasagna for my hubby's coworkers on Thursday! I'm very excited but will have to make two pans in order to feed everyone. Normally it takes 45 minutes covered at 375 and then about 10 more minutes at 325 uncovered....
Do you think that I'm going to need to adjust the times?? Or will cooking two pans of lasagna in the oven at the same time take the regular amount of time?? I don't want to make one and then the other because I want it all to be hot and fresh when I bring it out to them... Anyone know? :)

I'm so excited! This is the first time that I have cooked for his coworkers here (though I cooked often for his coworkers in Japan) and I want it all to be perfect :)
They are making a big deal out of it and have volunteers bringing in garlic bread, salad, drinks, plates, and cutlery.
:D :D :D

Donnaj4962
02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh I just LOVE cooking for a crowd also! I think that you will be able to bake both for the regular time, but I am not an expert at that! Hopefully others will have more experience at that! You may want to give yourself some additional time, just as a precaution!

Do you cook your noodles first? Just curious!

When do we get the recipe??? I love Italian foods! Good luck!

borzoimom
02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
My family is HUGE! And the one that gets to do thanksgiving- takes on like 25 people... lol.
I found that the oven is the oven- doesnt matter what is in it- the oven still cooks at the temperature. Its not like the microwave- that density will attract the most heat- the oven is the oven- what ever is in there is cooking at 350 ( or whatever its set as..).
I have yet to have a raw turkey and the stuffing is done- two huge containers- same temperature..

kittycats_delight
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Well we had a crowd of Guido's friends here a little while ago and our first course was pasticcio (lasagna). I did 2 as well instead of one and it took the same amount of time. We use gas though so I don't know if that makes a difference. I also use fresh pasta. It only take about 35 minutes total with the fresh pasta and using gas. But then again I used the traditional recipe used here in Italy and I am pretty sure it is different than the italian north american version.

Lobodeb
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I think it might change the cooking time just a tad, but it shouldn't be much. Just be sure to keep an eye on it once you remove the foil so it doesn't brown too much.

Laura's Babies
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
My experience is that if the pans are touching, you will need to adjust the time. If the hot air is able to circulate around both completely, it should do alright... Just watch it, test it to make sure.... MMMMmmm! Lasagna, MY FAVORITE!

Sirrahsim
02-07-2007, 04:57 PM
thanks ALL of you :)
I use my Mom's recipe and NEVER cook the noodles :) I have always gotten wonderful feedback for my lasagna and owe it all to my Mom sirrahbed. I added just a couple of little things that I do but the recipe is the same :)

Sirrahbed's Lasagna

1 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 jar spaghetti sauce (I use sauteed onion and garlic flavor)
about 1/2 cup water
medium carton cottage cheese
2 eggs
handful of parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella
9 lasagna noodles right out of the box

Brown the meat and onion. Add the jar of spaghetti sauce, pour the water in the empty jar and shake to "clean out" the rest of the sauce. Pour THAT in with the sauce. In another bowl, mix the cottage cheese, eggs, parsley, garlic, and parmesan cheese. In a 9x13 pan start to layer:
First a ladle of the sauce and meat mixture, then three noodles. Next, layer half the cottage cheese mixture, another ladle of sauce, then three more noodles. After that, layer the other half of the cottage cheese mixture, then a cup of mozzarella cheese, then another ladle of sauce. On top of that, layer three more noodles then the rest of the sauce and two more cups of mozzarella cheese. Make sure that all the edges of the noodles are covered up with sauce and cheese so that they will get cooked thoroughly. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Turn heat down to 325, uncover, and cook for 10-15 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Keep a close eye on it because the cheese likes to burn once the foil is off. Let the dish sit out on the counter for a few minutes before you slice it and you will have a delicious pan of lasagna :)

Sirrahsim
02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
uhoh! I just realized that I only have one glass pan.. I'm going to have to cook one in glass and the other in ceramic...I hope this turns out yummy :(

Sirrahsim
02-07-2007, 05:02 PM
I would LOVE the recipe for a real Italian Lasagna!!

popcornbird
02-07-2007, 05:02 PM
:D

Thanks for the recipe, Missy. ;) My husband and I LOVE lasagna, and I make it often, but I always cook the noodles first. Your mom's way sounds 'quicker'. I'll have to try it.

Hope your lasagna turns out great!

Craftlady
02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I use something similar to your recipe, but I cook the noodles.
I find it's easier and cooks more evenly. Also, all your doing at that point is re-heating everything.

I would use the heavy/tin foil pans.

Sirrahsim
02-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I personally think it tastes better wihtout pre cooking them and I like a glass pan the best. To each his or her own :D

caseysmom
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
There is a brand of lasagna noodles that say don't cook first, the box is blue and they turn out great.

kittycats_delight
02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
I would LOVE the recipe for a real Italian Lasagna!!

You got it.

Pasticcio

2 tbsp of olive oil
500g minced meat
1 large onion chopped finely
1 celery stalk chopped finely
(i usually use a food processor to chopped the onion and celery so it is in tiny pieces)
4 cloves of garlic pressed
2 tbsp of white flour
300ml beef broth
150ml red wine
salt and pepper
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp marjoram
2 tbsp of tomato paste
butter
400g mozzarella ( I use buffalo mozzarella this is what the original calls for)
14 pieces of lasagna(fresh or precooked)
850ml besciamelle

1. heat the oil and cook the meat until it is a uniform color. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes stirring frequently. Add the flour and stir continually for 1 minute.

2. in a pot ready the beef broth and add the wine. Add salt and pepper to your pleasure, add parsley, basil and marjoram and bring to a boil. Add this mixture then to the meat bring again to a boil. reduce heat and let sauce simmer 45 minutes. After 45 minutes add the tomato paste and allow to cook another 10 minutes. (this is what takes the longest as the sauce is made from scratch)

3. use the butter and grease a glass baking dish. place a very small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom then add a layer of pasta. then add a layer of meat sauce and besciamelle then cover with another layer of pasta. Repeat the layers 2 more times. Finish with a layer of meat sauce, besciamelle and the cubes (or if you prefer grated) mozzarella cheese. Place baking dish in a preheated 350° oven for about 35 minutes. Pasticcio will be ready when the crust forms on the top from the mozzarella.

Sirrahsim
02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
oh my goodness! That sounds divine :) :) One of these days I will treat my husband to a REAL Pasticcio :)

Caseysmom, you don't even have to buy special noodles for my Mom's recipe. Any type will do. I use Skinner brand. :)

caseysmom
02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
oh my goodness! That sounds divine :) :) One of these days I will treat my husband to a REAL Pasticcio :)

Caseysmom, you don't even have to buy special noodles for my Mom's recipe. Any type will do. I use Skinner brand. :)

That is good to know, maybe because there is enough moisture to cook the noodles.

Sirrahsim
02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
yeah the extra water the recipe calls for is to make sure that there is enough :) As long as the edges of the noodles are covered and the foil is on there tightly they cook just fine.