PDA

View Full Version : Who says we can't all get along!??

Glacier
02-06-2007, 03:47 PM
The area I live in is full of multi-use trails. The one that I use most often with my dog team is also used heavily by ski-doos, skiers, walkers, skijorers, joggers, ect. Everyone gets along quite nicely, rarely any problems. The skidoos set a nice track that the rest of us can enjoy and they always follow the "power yields to paws" trail etiquette.

Over the weekend some moron in a Jeep decided to drive on the trail. It was destroyed. He got stuck so he did even more damage getting his vehicle out. The ruts were dangerous for my dogs, increasing their risk of shouler and wrist injuries as well my risk of loosing the team. The trail was in no way safe to ski on anymore and even the snowmachines were at risk of tipping over. I wrote a scathing letter which was published in both local papers, one even published the license plate number of the Jeep! (I went back while he was stuck, just to get that number).

Last night I emailed the local snowmobile club and asked if they had a groomer I could rent or if they could give me some directions on how to fix the trail. Someone from the club called me back this morning and they are out there right now fixing the trail with their professional grooming machine! They want no money, no donation to their club, just my support when they approach the city about banning vehicles on this and other trails during the winter months! I am on the board of directors of the community assocation for my area and I think I can get the entire community behind that by-law.

I was so angry when that trail was wrecked, not just because it ruined my personal enjoyment of the area, but for the hundreds of other people who use that trail regularly. It just made my day that other people were so willing to help fix the mess. :D

caseysmom
02-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Its nice to see good deeds and realize there are still nice people out there...you may have to look a bit harder for them than the rude people but they are out there.

critter crazy
02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
That sucks that this uy had to ruin everyones fun, but it is awsome that it was fixed,and you all are working together to fix the problem! Awsome, job well done!

DrKym
02-06-2007, 03:53 PM
YAY for all of you! How wonderful to see a community pull together!

This post made my day!

cyber-sibes
02-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Way to go! I hope all the regulars are back to recreating asap.

Glacier
02-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I just got back from looking at the restored trail. It's a thing of beauty. I was moved to grateful tears. What an amazing job those men did! I will be writing another letter to the paper thanking the snowmobile club for their assistance and generousity.

ramanth
02-06-2007, 09:40 PM
It's so nice to hear people coming together to help out. I hope that moron gets chewed out by those that recognize the plate.

Cinder & Smoke
02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Everyone gets along quite nicely ...
and they always follow the "power yields to paws" trail etiquette.

Last night I emailed the local snowmobile club and asked if they had a groomer
I could rent or if they could give me some directions on how to fix the trail.
... they are out there right now fixing the trail with their professional grooming machine!

You might be interested in reading this Tutorial on Trail "Grooming" - it's a Science! >>>
http://www.snowmobilers.org/groomer_guide/GroomerGuidePart1.pdf

And an interesting Snowmobile Club web site is at >>>
http://www.pittsburgridgerunners.org/Grooming.html
This is a CLUB - that owns 5 huge SnowCat Grooming Machines - this page
pictures the Groomers at work on the trails and a couple up close shots.

Sure hope the Papers print your Thank You note ...
any chance you can *link* to those articles?

Glacier
02-06-2007, 11:57 PM
You might be interested in reading this Tutorial on Trail "Grooming" - it's a Science! >>>

This is a CLUB - that owns 5 huge SnowCat Grooming Machines - this page
pictures the Groomers at work on the trails and a couple up close shots.

Sure hope the Papers print your Thank You note ...
any chance you can *link* to those articles?

These guys certainly knew what they were doing. I just wanted the major ruts flattened back out, but they totally rebuilt the trail! It's better than it was before. The bump I used to have to cross at the first turn that is always there in the winter is GONE!! I think the club has one bigger machine that they use on the Trans-Canada Trail. They did all this with some gizmo they drag behind a skidoo!

Neither paper publishes letters on-line, but this is copied and pasted from my sent mail folder:
I hope your little joy ride down the trails behind Mary Lake was enjoyable. Your inconsiderate actions have completely destroyed the trail for other users. I live in Mary Lake and I use that trail almost daily. It is one of the most heavily used sections of trail in this area. It's frequented by joggers, walkers, mushers, skijorers, skidoos, ATV's, and skiers. It is the only access to the lake which is also heavily used by skiers, snow machines, dogs and skaters. Your tire tracks have made walking difficult and all other activities dangerous!

When my dog team develops shoulder injuries or breaks a leg due to your destruction of the trail, will you pay the vet bill? Will you come out and take care of them when I break my ankle in the ruts? Will you compensate the skiers and walkers who are bound to be injured by your stupidity? How many small trees died under your wheels?

I realize that the trail is public land and legally you were probably allowed to drive down it. That doesn't change the fact that it was selfish, destructive, potentially dangerous and has ruined winter activities for countless other people. The other users of this trail shouldn't have to pay for your stupidity. Maybe you should hire a trail groomer and repair some of the damage!

Cinder & Smoke
02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
... they totally rebuilt the trail!
It's better than it was before.

Neither paper publishes letters on-line, but this is copied and pasted from my sent mail folder:
I hope your little joy ride down the trails behind Mary Lake was enjoyable.
Your inconsiderate actions have completely destroyed the trail for other users. ...

A very well written letter!
I'm sure your Thank You note will be equally well done ...
Let's Hope the papers print that one, too.

Snowmobilers often take a Bad Rap for poluting, making noise, and damaging trails ...
I never knew that the Clubs put so much time, effort, and money into
creating and then maintaining the trails they use.

/s/ Phred

gini
02-07-2007, 12:41 AM
What a heartwarming post to read - just before I head off to bed.

THANK YOU!

anna_66
02-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Awesome letter! I'm so very glad to hear that your trail was fixed...that's so cool:D

Randi
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
No wonder you were angry! I'm glad you wrote that letter, very well written too. :) Hopefully the guy in the truck doesn't dare come back and ruin it again. An amazing job these trail groomers do!

Glacier
02-07-2007, 11:52 PM
This is the thank you note I just sent to the local papers. I just took out the actual names of the two men who did the work since I don't have their permission to post their identies!

As you may be aware, over the past weekend, one of the main trails in the Mary Lake area was damaged to the point that many activities were no longer safe. On Monday evening, I contacted the Klondike Snowmobile Association and inquired about trail grooming. I wanted to know if the KSA could provide me with some direction as to how to repair the worst of the damage.

The answer I received far exceeded my expectations. By late Tuesday afternoon, the access trail to Mary Lake had been fully repaired. The KSA, specifically JC & HC, donated their time and equipment. Those who use and enjoy the trail on a regular basis can once again do so safely. I would like to express my thanks and appreciation to the KSA, J & H. Your generous, speedy and skillful assistance is greatly appreciated.

I hope that all users of the trail will respect the time and effort these men voluntarily put into restoring it and that it will not be subjected to the same type of damage again. There are cleared areas to park your vehicle if you want to drive out and enjoy this area.

Thanks again to the KSA for their assistance.

cmayer31
02-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Those were great letters, Glacier! It's good to know that different interest groups can get along and provide safe, fun activities for everyone. It's too bad that it only takes one person to ruin everything. I hope the papers do publish your first letter and that the 4x4 driver reads it.