PDA

View Full Version : online degree programs

Sirrahsim
02-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Are these a racket? Do employers actually hire people who get their education this way?
It seems like getting a "degree" in medical transcription or something and working from home is just too good to be true. Any input?

CathyBogart
02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
They're overpriced, overblown, and have an incredibly low graduation rate.

DrKym
02-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Cathy i tend to agree, however my son in law did a lot of research with his one, and recieved a degree in accounting , it is now his second year with H&RBlock.

He did say that many of them were awful when he was doing in depth research though. He may the exception, and not the rule , but I think with really good research, some may be ok.

critter crazy
02-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I tend to dissagree!! I got a two year degree, it only took me 8 months, and it only cost me 800$! and on top of it, i had a 3.0 GPA. I think it was the best thing i ever did with my money, and am planning on continuing my education!

DrKym
02-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Wtg Maggie!

critter crazy
02-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Wtg Maggie!
Thank you very much! *takes a bow*:cool:

I was proud, since i had done a semester of college and quit after getting 2 c's and a D!! he he he he he he!! Course i was also taking businessw hich obviously was not my thing!:D

Sirrahsim
02-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Between the time that I spent at Ohio State and the distance learning classes that I took while living in Japan the lowest my GPA ever dropped to was a 3.7 because of a stinking A-.... I don't mean to brag but I have absolutely no worries about not being able to make the grades and graduate.
I'm just wondering if it is actually worth the money. Critter crazy, were you able to find employment based solely on the program you took?

Sirrahsim
02-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Between the time that I spent at Ohio State and the distance learning classes that I took while living in Japan the lowest my GPA ever dropped to was a 3.7 because of a stinking A-.... I don't mean to brag but I have absolutely no worries about not being able to make the grades and graduate.

Good heavens that sounded conceited :o :o :o

critter crazy
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm just wondering if it is actually worth the money. Critter crazy, were you able to find employment based solely on the program you took?
Yes!!! I actually had a job thrown at me a few months ago, but sadly had to pass, as I had concerns with my son at home.

DrKym
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Applauds ! and hunny that isn't bragging that is an earned pat on the back! :D

Sirrahsim
02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
well that is certainly good to hear about being offered a job :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
I work with quite a few people that got their Master's degrees online. They get promotions as soon as they come up in the library system. However, I'm not sure what they had to do to get these degrees or what they had to pay for the cost of the classes, etc.

I've been wondering about these things lately myself because they seem to be advertising them alot. I would love to know the particulars. I don't know any of my co-workers well enough to ask alot of questions but maybe it's the only way I can find out first hand :)