PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for Catmandu's Porchies

cassiesmom
02-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I copied this from the thread about transporting Cassie in the cold because I thought it might not get seen there.

Thats What Worries Me About The Porch Cats As Its Very Cold And Windy In Ontario.
The Porch Cats Are Cold , They Must Have A Warm Spot To Hide.
But In This Terrible Weather It Must Be Hard To Find A Safe Warm Place.
Please Pray For The Porchies.

momcat
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Prayers are certainly being prayed for the Porchies as well as all the other poor homeless kitties stuck out in this cold with no home or warm place to go. Since our landlord's wife doesn't like Groucho being here taking a stray or two in would result in problems I don't need to deal with. But I do keep a few cans of cat food with pop-top lids in my backpack so that every stray or feral I see at least gets something nutritious to eat. Not much to ease their situation though. At least they have a full tummy for a while.....

DrKym
02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Gary, our prayers and thanks for all you do for them. We wish there were more people like you out there!

Candles lit and prayers being said.

catmandu
02-05-2007, 06:21 PM
There Are Two Houses That Are Enclosed Where They Can Get In Out Of The Wind , And At Summer Time I Am Going To Hhave To Put Out Some Wooden Crates On The Back Porch So They Will Have Somwhere To Hide Out.
Maybe A Small Enclosure With A Door So The Dog Up The Street Doesnt Get Into It Ane Eat Thier Dry Food.
This Is The Coldest Winter We Have Had In A Long Time And I Am Worried.
Thank You For Starting That Thread Cassiesmom.
These Poor Little Ones Can Use All The Prayers They Can Get.

Medusa
02-05-2007, 06:26 PM
When I was taking care of all the outdoor stray kitties, I bought dog houses with the door off to the side so that the kitties had a solid wall to snuggle in behind. I put a heating pad on low underneath blankets, then draped a blanket over the top of the dog house to keep the wind out of the opening and to further insulate it. The dog house had legs so that it wasn't sitting directly on the cold ground or cement. You can buy them at Pet Supplies Plus and they're pretty solid; they cost $80 for the medium size. I houses an awful lot of kitties that way because the families snuggled together. When I bought my new house, I gave all but one dog house to the vet tech who took several of my strays at that time but I still have one left, just in case a stray kitty crosses my path. You might want to consider this also. It sure eased my mind.

Blessings,
Mary

Laura's Babies
02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
How about a storage container with a small light bulb for the porchies so the heat of the light could keep them warm? Or a heating pad? Straw? They say straw keeps them warm and soaks up to moisture.... or do what we did and use the storage container, wrapped outside with warm blankets to keep the heat in and just cut a hole large enough for them to get into it and turn that away from the wind.

catlover4ever
02-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Straw/hay works as a really good insulate for cats, dogs, horses, etc.

I know how you feel Gary. I worry about Oliver outside at times like these. He came for his food this morning and when he meowed the steam came from his mouth. Oliver has a doghouse with 2 layers of flannel blankets, a self heating pad (it warms itself when the cats lay on it) and then I also put out 3 heated SnuggleSafe discs that are heated in the microwave (they give off heat for 12 hours).

My thoughts and prayers are with your porchies.

Prairie Purrs
02-05-2007, 07:07 PM
My mom is always sending me food items that she orders from her favorite home shopping channel, and many of those arrive in small styrofoam coolers that have exceptionally thick walls. I've created some feral kitty shelters out of those by duct-taping two or three together (with holes cut just big enough for crawling through and a covering over the "doors" to the outside). I also use the self-warming pads.

Husky15
02-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I will definitely be keeping the Porch Cats in my prayers during this cold winter.

kimlovescats
02-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Prayers coming for your porchies, Gary! You do so very much for them .... just having food to put in their bellies will help keep their body heat up!!! ;)

Catty1
02-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Where do you get the self-warming pads??? They sound neat.

Gary - remember, there is Freecycle for styrofoam containers and such. Plus, some of your animal colleagues there might have an idea, or even a house or two! :D

Prairie Purrs
02-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Where do you get the self-warming pads??? They sound neat.

I got mine from Petsmart: Thermal Cat Cushion. (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 8458&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025518&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1170733443163&itemNo=0&In=Cat&N=2025518&Ne=2)

Not as warm as an electric heating pad, of course, but it's something.

AbbyMom
02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Prayers for the Porchies!

caseysmom
02-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Prayers for your porchies Gary, just having food in their tummies will help and some shelter from the wind.

catmandu
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
I put an old carrier with no door out there with old towels around the sides to keep them warm.
Theres not much i can do in this cold . I am going to have to wait until the summer.
I have two old end tables that have a nice are to go into , and I think I could put pads in, and at least help the Porchies.
I think there are 3 , but its hard to tell genuine strays from the neighbors Cats who roam.
Although I cant imagine anyone who would let them roam in this weather.
Thank You for your prayers.

IttyBittyKitty
02-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I hope they are okay, Medusa's suggestion is a really good one.

phesina
02-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Prayers for your beloved Porchies, Gary, and blessings to you for all you do. And prayers that the cold snap will break soon.

And prayers for all the animals out in the cold.

Pat, Peony, Sydney, Priscilla, Poppy, and Elmer

kb2yjx
02-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I have reminded the Clan how lucky they are NOT to be outside, freezing and starving in this weather!!! It is 10F right now!! Gary, we know that you do they very best you can do for the PORCHIES by providing them shelter and food!

catmandu
02-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Great News.
I Found A Patch At The Side Of The House Where Theres A Warm Spot.
The Vent From My High Efficeny Furnace Goes There And Warm Air Comes Out In A Small Radius.
I Have Placed A House There With An Open Roof And Dry Food And Water Where The Porchies Can Reach Them.
I Saw The Orangie In There , And I Think Mellow Yellow Has Been There Too.
I Am So Relieved That They Have A Warm Spot.

K & L
02-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I wish there was something we all could do for the animals in the extreme temperatures. I sure hope they keep safe and warm.

phesina
02-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Wonderful news about the heat vent/warm spot for the Porchies!

Thank you, Gary.

Pat

catfamily
02-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Your doing all you can Gary.It's heartbreaking seeing cold , scared and hungry kittys.And it's also overwhelming sometimes knowing that you are the only one helping them in your neighborhood.You have our support to keep going.And prayers for all those strays not to freeze to death.