PDA

View Full Version : $1480.00!!! Ally Fundraiser Money update MARCH 1st

jennielynn1970
02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I thought I'd start a thread and do a daily total on how much we can collect. I won't put names, just how much is collected.

So far, we have $50.00!

Send any donations to my PayPal account [email protected]
(it's a business account, so it can accept credit card payments).

If you would like to mail funds, I guess they can go to me as well, and
I'll transfer funds from my bank account to the PayPal account.

Mailing Address:
Jennie Hall
23 S. 14th St.
Allentown, PA 18102

Thanks to everyone for pulling together for this girl!
Jennie

jennielynn1970
02-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Here's the British Airways site about transporting animals. Will see if I can get an approximate amount if I call the cargo phone number for customer service.

http://www.baworldcargo.com/products/pets.shtml

cassiesmom
02-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I missed the beginning of this sweet story about traveler Ally. Here it is for anyone else who might have missed. Jenn and Jen, I hate to ask this but could you wait till I get paid on Friday and then I'll be able to help. Also, would you please give Ally a great big hug for me?

thanks
elyse

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=120901&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ally

lvpets2002
02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
:) Jenn is it ok if I mail you a check.. I can get this as a Tax right off as a Donation.. I will PM you on $$..

jennielynn1970
02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok, so apparently to get info on rates on animal transport one must call the British Airways office in London, or in Bahrain itself. I have the number for the animal cargo office in London, but can't call it at the moment.

Is there anyone on here from England who could call and ask how much it would cost from Bahrain to NY or Washing DC, or even Philadelphia??
The number there (if dailing from US) 01144-8457-222-777 He said it is option 2 after that (he thinks, anyway).

jenluckenbach
02-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I sent a PM to Cheryl, who has Connor. She might know what his plane fare cost.

And Newark airport might be another point of entry. Sweet Annie flew to England via Newark.

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I just heard from Julie about the cost to ship Connor to the states. This is going to take a good bit of fundraising. I hope we can raise a decent amount to offset the cost!

Hi Jennie,

When I shipped Connor is cost around $1200 excluding the cost of a crate, as I already had one....

I have a friend in Bahrain calling the airlines there for me - so hopefully I will finaliase the cost, date and route soon!

Thanks

Julie

Kirsten
02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi Jenn!

I'd love to help Ally. :)

I wanted to donate to your paypal account, but was told you won't accept payments outside the US? Are you still going to change that?

Otherwise I'd have to send cash which is always a bit risky...

Kirsten

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 01:31 PM
OH! I didn't know that that was on there! I'll go and change it right now... Thanks for the heads up! I've never had an ebay buyer before that was outside the US, so I guess that's why I never knew about it!

Laura's Babies
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM
What about fund raising ideas? Anybody have any? (other than donations... I will donate but was just thinking maybe we could speed it along...) Anyone knit, crochet, do arts and crafts.... have anything to donate to sell?

I figured it would cost a lot and the cost may have went up since Conner was transported so we need to get on the ball and do this fast!

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
About non-US Paypal accounts... I'm having issues with the Payment Preferences... It won't let me un-check the box. Grrrr... I'm on hold with PayPal customer service. :rolleyes:

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 02:05 PM
What about fund raising ideas? Anybody have any? (other than donations... I will donate but was just thinking maybe we could speed it along...) Anyone knit, crochet, do arts and crafts.... have anything to donate to sell?

I figured it would cost a lot and the cost may have went up since Conner was transported so we need to get on the ball and do this fast!

I've got a new cell phone up for sale on ebay, and I'm hoping to use the profits from that to add to the fund. Right now it's only at $107.50, but I have a reserve for $200.00 because it's a $399.00 model (only paid 250.00 for it, but the original was stolen and this is the replacement... then I switched to Verizon cause Cingular ticked me off).

Catty1
02-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Not really a fund-raising...but if everyone has a local paper, or a bulletin baord at a local store, and has even something small to sell - it ALL adds up like you wouldn't believe.

Also, in some places, there are "buyandsell" sites which are similar to Freecycle.

Or collect old debts: "I wouldn't bother you, but it's for this KITTY!!!!" :)

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi Jenn!

I'd love to help Ally. :)

I wanted to donate to your paypal account, but was told you won't accept payments outside the US? Are you still going to change that?

Otherwise I'd have to send cash which is always a bit risky...

Kirsten

OK! I think I have it all worked out. The service rep at PayPal actually had to have the manager go in and manually override the preferences because it wouldn't let me uncheck the boxes. Let me know if it works out now :)

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Would it matter if someone was flying from Bahrain to the US and we just bought an extra seat instead of paying for the Cargo shipping?? I don't trust putting an animal in the cargo hold, it gets really cold, and most airlines don't guarantee that your pet will come out safe. Can they actually purchase a seat and then put the cat in a carrier next to them??? :confused:

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Not really a fund-raising...but if everyone has a local paper, or a bulletin baord at a local store, and has even something small to sell - it ALL adds up like you wouldn't believe.

Also, in some places, there are "buyandsell" sites which are similar to Freecycle.

Or collect old debts: "I wouldn't bother you, but it's for this KITTY!!!!" :)

We have a few Cheapcycles here, but the people on it are REALLY cheap. It's annoying. Even for something that is brand new and unused, most people in my area still try to get it for nothing. They're taking the word cheap wayyyyy too literally! :rolleyes: :p

Kirsten
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
OK! I think I have it all worked out. The service rep at PayPal actually had to have the manager go in and manually override the preferences because it wouldn't let me uncheck the boxes. Let me know if it works out now :)

Yep, now it worked! :)

Kirsten

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Yep, now it worked! :)

Kirsten

Man, you wouldn't believe all the different preferences that are available!!! I never even looked at them! :o

Catty1
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
How much so far?

If 12 people put in $100, or 24 put $50 in, we might have it!

Of course, would be nice for you to have gas money too!

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Technically we're at $170.00, but because of PayPal fees it's actually $162.97. I've got a Business/Premier account, the only way to do the credit card payments when I sell, so PayPal deducts fees, which are .0420% or .0425%. Which sucks.

Ally Cat's Mommy
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Firstly I am just totally overwhelmed by everyone's assistance (again) - I just can't believe how wonderful everyone here is....when I joined PT all those years ago I never imagines how many of you would become like family to me, or how badly I would one day need my family's help!

I did look into the "buying a seat" option. (It would have been an ideal solution as I could have funded part of the cost with frequent flyer miles). NONE of the airlines which fly out of the region allow animals in the cabin. It's a very different culture here, and some people would simply NOT accept being forced to share the cabin with an "animal".

I am also VERY worried about animals in the hold - although they are apparently in a temperture and pressure controlled section. I was a wreck from the minute I left the airport to the minute I heard that Connor was safe back on the ground.

It's just hit me that either hubby or a friend in Bahrain will be putting Ally on the plane - I wont even get to say goodbye to my baby girl. i cant type anymore now :(

Would it matter if someone was flying from Bahrain to the US and we just bought an extra seat instead of paying for the Cargo shipping?? I don't trust putting an animal in the cargo hold, it gets really cold, and most airlines don't guarantee that your pet will come out safe. Can they actually purchase a seat and then put the cat in a carrier next to them??? :confused:

Catty1
02-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Awwww...Julie! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Hey - is it not very possible you will visit the US one day? And maybe have a chance to hug both your babies????

If PT can make THIS happen, we can make THAT happen!

:)

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh, believe me, the whole Arab world and "animals" deal is totally understood here... Just try calling an Arab an animal, and it's like cursing at him. It's totally an insult. Learned this from my ex-boyfriend who was originally from Egypt. He moved here on Sept. 12, 2001 (bad choice of a day to move to the US after what happened the day before). Not his choice, however, his mother's and grandfather's choice to move him. Anyway....

Where will you be that your husband will be putting Ally on the plane?? I think I asked before, but what do you and your husband do that you have to go to Lagos? I'm just curious....

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Yay!!! My cell phone on ebay sold for $150.00, so that's being added to the pot, and brings us to $355.00!! :D :D :D

Ally Cat's Mommy
02-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Where will you be that your husband will be putting Ally on the plane?? I think I asked before, but what do you and your husband do that you have to go to Lagos? I'm just curious....

We are already in Lagos. Hubby is a Business Development Manager, but is trying to get into a higher management role to increase our chances of being accepted for Immigration to Australia. We need to stick it out here for 18 months minimum - to allow Cameron (the eldest) to finish school, to pay off all our debt, and start trying to save for a deposit so we can buy a house in Australia. Warren (hubby) will be back in Bahrain to sort out our (rental) house there, and put some furniture in storage / sell the rest. He can add it on to a business trip, so only has to pay in a little bit for the flight. (Flights out of Lagos are REALLY expensive - there are only a couple of reputableairlines that expats can use, so they are always full and can charge what they want!)

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Silly question... but is Ally with you or with someone else in Bahrain?? I'm now confused.

jenluckenbach
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Silly question... but is Ally with you or with someone else in Bahrain?? I'm now confused.
Ally is alone in Bahrain (with a "sitter") :(

Do we have an idea on a date?

I can't WAIT to meet Ally. She MUST fly in on a day I can ride with Jennie to the airport!!!

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Awe... Poor Ally!!! I didn't realize that she wasn't with Julie. :( I thought that they were ALL still in Bahrain, and that they were going to be going to Lagos. How long has the poor girl been alone? :( How old is she, by the way??

Craftlady
02-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Awe... Poor Ally!!! I didn't realize that she wasn't with Julie. :( I thought that they were ALL still in Bahrain, and that they were going to be going to Lagos. How long has the poor girl been alone? :( How old is she, by the way??

Alone for at least 2 weeks maybe going on 3 weeks, I think I read that in a recent post. Edited: It's been 3 weeks since 1-27-06 posting
posting (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=120901)

catlover4ever
02-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Last I remember Ally had been alone for 3 going on 4 weeks. Julie has a sitter than comes in and feeds Ally but other than that she has been alone. I know how much it is breaking Julie's heart.

For the life of my I don't remember how old Ally is...anyone else know?

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I remember reading that now! Lord, I forget everything now! I just turned 37, and already the memory is going on me! :p ;)

Let's hope we can all pull together and do this quickly for Ally's sake.

cassiesmom
02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I looked at British Airways Web site to see if it would be any less expensive to fly to Bahrain and bring Ally home. Then I looked at Mapquest and discovered where in the Middle East Bahrain is located. It's by Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar. The least expensive BA flight is about $1,200 and involves a stop-over in London.

Therefore, questions:
what about a military transport? or corporate transport of some kind - I hate the thought of Ally traveling by herself but I don't have a way to go get her. If she makes a stop-over in London, would they require her to be quarantined? What route did Connor take?

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 06:08 PM
You'd still have to have her fly in the cargo hold. Even my friend who is Syrian said that there is no way that Arabs would fly with a cat, or any animal for that matter, in the regular passenger cabin. I have no idea about military transport. Never thought about that. But not sure how the temp is regulated on those suckers either. Wish we had the ability to "beam her up Scotty"!

catlover4ever
02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I think Connor went through London and because he was just passing through and not staying, there is no quarantine.

The cargo holds on large aircrafts are climate controled to a degree. FAA regulations prohibit a carrier from flying animals at certain times of the year due to temperature.

When I flew for a local airline we did not take animals from November 1 - May 1 due to the small aircraft (36 seats) because our cargo holds had no temperature control. I never told anyone, but when we would carry a cat or dog in cargo, I would go into the bathroom and open the door to the cargo hold....just to check and make sure the babies were OK. Everytime I checked the babies were fine.

Just a thought...did anyone think of posting this over in General...maybe you would get some more people who would donate to getting Ally here...those who maybe don't always come to the cat side? Like I said....just a thought.

Catty1
02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Hmmm...that is a neat idea about a military flight. If one could find a cat-loving soldier who would pay for Ally's "seat" and be reimbursed - or paid up front?

There's a thought!

Anyone KNOW anyone? Julie - you or your hubby? Do you know a soldier in Bahrain that is going home?

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
OH! And could he be a SINGLE, HANDSOME, cat-loving soldier too?!! :p :D I'd love picking them both up at the airport, lol!!

Freedom
02-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Ally is 5.

Catty1
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I just cross posted in General. Over 30 people have looked at it. Here's hoping for funds and a soldier! COULD be female, ya never know! :D

Craftlady
02-07-2007, 08:54 PM
OH! And could he be a SINGLE, HANDSOME, cat-loving soldier too?!! :p :D I'd love picking them both up at the airport, lol!!

NO NO .... You fall in love with military person and then we are shipping both of you all over the world LOL
J/K

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
I just cross posted in General. Over 30 people have looked at it. Here's hoping for funds and a soldier! COULD be female, ya never know! :D

Ummmm... yeah.... Well, I don't swing THAT way, lol, so a male soldier would be preferred ;) :D

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 09:24 PM
NO NO .... You fall in love with military person and then we are shipping both of you all over the world LOL
J/K

LOL... ok, how about a military guy who is retiring or not re-upping?! :p

Craftlady
02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
LOL... ok, how about a military guy who is retiring or not re-upping?! :p

That works :)

popcornbird
02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
You'd still have to have her fly in the cargo hold. Even my friend who is Syrian said that there is no way that Arabs would fly with a cat, or any animal for that matter, in the regular passenger cabin. I have no idea about military transport. Never thought about that. But not sure how the temp is regulated on those suckers either. Wish we had the ability to "beam her up Scotty"!

That is not necessarily true. The last time I went on Emirates Airlines, there were 3 birds on board with us, with their owners, in the cabin. I'm not sure how they got on board, but they went through security with us, and there they were, right at the seats in front of us. It was about 3 years ago. I don't know if policies have changed, or if they allow some animals in the cabin, and not others, but I know there were birds on board when we flew.

I wish Ally a safe, smoothe trip, and Julie lots of comfort.

Ally Cat's Mommy
02-08-2007, 07:05 AM
That is not necessarily true. The last time I went on Emirates Airlines, there were 3 birds on board with us, with their owners, in the cabin. I'm not sure how they got on board, but they went through security with us, and there they were, right at the seats in front of us. It was about 3 years ago. I don't know if policies have changed, or if they allow some animals in the cabin, and not others, but I know there were birds on board when we flew.

Were they Falcons Pops? That is the one exception I knoe of with Mid eastern Airlines - because a lot of the VERY rich VIPs here, and royal families are into Falcon breeding, hunting etc, they are allowed on the plane. I think only in 1st class, and they pay for a seat!!

jennielynn1970
02-08-2007, 10:28 AM

Birds are an entirely different story. They actually keep them as pets. Not so with cats and dogs. They are considered unclean.

jennielynn1970
02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Just got another donation!
We're up to $375.00! :D

orangemm
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
***bump***

jennielynn1970
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
We're up to $400.00!!!

Catty1
02-08-2007, 11:07 PM
ONE THIRD OF THE WAY THERE!!!! Every little bit adds up, peoples! WOO-HOO!

krazyaboutkatz
02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Jenn, I'll be mailing you my donation when I mail Jorgie and Sophie their Valentine's Day cards.:)

jennielynn1970
02-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Cool! I'll be looking for their cards! I have Pearl's and Starr's ready to go out today. Just have to get to the post office after work! :)

emily_the_spoiled
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi everyone,

I am sorry for not responding sooner but I have been out of Internet contact and I just received Jen's email.

Connor came via London, but from what I heard from BA the London people are really good with animals. They even gave him a bigger cage, plenty of water and food. He was doing just fine by the time he got to DC (although he did want out of the cage).

The price is based on weight, so Ally should be much less expensive than Connor (because he was 10 kilos or about 20 lbs when he arrived here).

I pulled out the paperwork from his travels, but I can not tell what the amount is because I don't know what demonination they used for the currency.

I can tell you that there is a $30 charge when you pick her up from the airport.

I don't know if it is easier to get into Philly or DC, but I am more than willing to help with transportation and a pick up from the airport if you decide DC is a better option.

P.S. I have sent my contribution on to Jenn

jennielynn1970
02-09-2007, 11:24 AM
For me, Philly, Newark or JFK are the easier for me to get to. I can get to DC if needed, since I drive anywhere, I'm just not familiar with it, that's all. However we work it out is fine by me.

So, I'm guessing you adopted Connor? Am I getting that correct? Jen L. said Ally and Connor used to fight a lot, to the point of injury, but didn't know if it was Ally or Connor who started. I do have a separate room that she can stay in if she wants to be by herself. I have another kitty in there right now who is absolutely petrified of everything and everyone... but he's getting better. I can actually pet him and he'll purr and eat some food. Haven't had him pee or poop on me in about 4 days, so that's an improvement, lol.

emily_the_spoiled
02-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Ally was the aggressor with Connor, but that might have been partially because he is deaf. I have another deaf cat, so my guys are used to it and it wasn't a problem to integrate him into the herd. He even sleeps on the bed (usually hogging it), but after the first few days it was like he has always been here.

If Newark is closer to you, then maybe Julie should look into that airport. The bigger it is the more flights you get from BA and it is easier to transport them over. If DC is selected, then I am happy to pick her up and meet you along the way (then you don't have to drive into Dulles).

jennielynn1970
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I've been to the Wilmington, DE airport (I think it's shared with Maryland or something). The distance is a toss up. Newark is to the east of me, about 1 1/2 hr away... but it's a straight shot.

Philly is to the south of me. Again, maybe 1 hr plus some.

DC.... well, let's just say I don't know. And Delaware/MD is a bunch of different routes to get there. I could get there, it would just take a while if you know what I mean. Probably closer to 3hrs.

JFK is also very easy, about 2hrs away as it is very close to Newark airport. Just jump off Jersey Pike to the Bridges and on to the Belt Pkwy. Been there and back many a time (not that I flew, but picked and dropped off others).

Let's see what is easiest and most cost effective for Julie.

jennielynn1970
02-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Whoo hooooo!! We're at $450.00!! :eek: Let's keep it coming in!! :D :D

AbbyMom
02-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi

Well, I left my envelope sitting on my desk at work for the weekend. :(

However, I will mail my contribution on Monday. I will be mailing cash as that's really easiest for me. If you feel uncomfortable with that, let me know and I'll try to get a money order or something.

Thanks for doing this. Every cat needs an angel and Ally found one in you.

Pat

jennielynn1970
02-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I'd just make sure it was in a security lined envelope. Just to be careful.

Craftlady
02-09-2007, 10:06 PM
I'd just make sure it was in a security lined envelope. Just to be careful.

Wrap it in a piece of copy paper. It appears there is just a letter in the envelope, make thicker and less flimsy.

Freedom
02-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Just a reminder about picking Ally up at the airport. When Julie (or whomever) completes all the paperwork, there is a form on top of the carrier with the name, address and phone number of the person Ally is shipping to. That person MUST be the one at the airport, has to show photo ID to get the animal.

This is how it worked for Sugar in December.

So I worry when I see folks offering "I could go get her at this airport," and "I can get her at that airport." Julie or her husband or her friend HAS to know which airport AND WHICH PERSON is picking her up. And with Julie having satelite problems getting regular internet access, this can't be changed at the last minute as she needs full name, address and phone number.

Scooter's Mom
02-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for pointing that out about them needing photo id to pick Ally up. It's things like that that we may overlook in our desire to just get Ally here. :)

I cannot wait to see Ally on American soil. She's one lucky little girl.
Crystal

jennielynn1970
02-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Ally's mom Julie said things are progressing slowly, the friend who was supposed to take her for the export physical and papers had a car accident, so that is going to take a little longer. Will let you all know any other info she passes along.

Scooter's Mom
02-10-2007, 04:37 PM
* bump *

jennielynn1970
02-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Update from Julie:
Things are progressing slowly - my friend in bahrain, Ann, who is sorting things out on that side, wrecked her car last week - no-one was hurt but she didn't have transport last week to take Ally for the inspection for the Export Permit - hope to have all the paperwork sorted out this week, and a crate purchased etc.

Hopefully things will start to look up soon. I am so grateful to you and everyone on PT for helping me with Ally - one less thing to worry about (although of course I AM worrying about her too!)

Scooter's Mom
02-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Has the fund grown over the weekend?

jennielynn1970
02-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Nope. I do have people who are mailing funds, so when I get those, I will add that to the total and update the site. Still hoping to get more through PayPal and keep the interest up. I know any funds that we collect will really be appreciated by Julie.

jenluckenbach
02-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow! Ally's ticket is going to cost more than expected! :( Julie WILL find a way to pay for it, but the more help the better.

Remember, you small donation can add up to a lot of help when added to the other donations.

jennielynn1970
02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
We received 3 more donations yesterday, and they totaled $85.00! We are up to $535.00!!

I did get a PM with Ally's mom, and the price to fly Ally over to the states is going to be $1531 :eek: (flight and crate). She was surprised it was going to be more than Connor. There are daily flights into Neward and JFK, which is great! I do need a Saturday or Sunday, otherwise I get docked over $200.00 for a sick day (I'm out of them :( ).

Let's try to raise more funds for Ally!! :D Julie has tons of bills, and so it would be a big help to get the majority of the funding on PT. Every little bit helps! If you can donate $5.00, 10.00, or more, it all helps and adds up! Mailing a check is great, PayPal is great too (even though they charge fees).

Come on PetTalkers!! Help this rescue (cause that's what this is essentially)!!

emily_the_spoiled
02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Would it be cheaper to fly Ally into DC? I can pick her up and keep her until the weekend, then we can meet half way.

jennielynn1970
02-14-2007, 03:10 PM
She didn't say...

jennielynn1970
02-14-2007, 09:50 PM
*bump*

ramanth
02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
PP sent. :)

Donnaj4962
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I have sent in one donation already, but will send more once I get paid this Friday, and pay all my bills. It won't be much more, as license plates and car insurance are due also.

Come on folks..... we can all do without a little something so that sweet Ally can come to her new forever home in the States!

Please.... won't you help??? :o

Catty1
02-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Could someone find out if it IS cheaper to fly into DC?

I am in Canada, so can't be much help...tho I did donate...

emily_the_spoiled
02-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately Julie or her friend have to find out in Bahrain. They won't give those qoutes here...

jennielynn1970
02-15-2007, 05:06 PM
We're up to $560.00!!

Come on PTers!! Let's get some more money coming in for ALLY!!!!

Catty1
02-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I did have a PM from Julie today and she is going to get her friend to check into flights into DC to see if they are less expensive!

jennielynn1970
02-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Not just because they are cheaper, but because I can only pick up on the weekend, and they don't ship "cargo" on weekends. Ally is considered cargo. So, we'd need to have someone else pick her up since I can't do a weekday.

Catty1
02-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Jenn, I think Emily offered to do that in an earlier post here, if Ally flies into DC, to save you the drive - she would meet you part way.

We'll see what the price is... :)

jennielynn1970
02-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah, we've been discussing it. She said she knew that they couldn't fly them on a weekend... I didn't know this. If I had sick days left, I could do a weekday, but I don't :( :( It stinks to be out of sick days and it's only February. I have to make it to June and not be sick. Ugh. I missed a bunch of days when I fell down my basement stairs, migraines, and just some "mental health" days, lol.

We'll figure it out... I'm sure Cheryl will pick her up like she did Connor, she had PM'd me and said she could so, that is a good thing!

Scooter's Mom
02-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I am saying prayers that we get Ally here to the USA safely!

emily_the_spoiled
02-16-2007, 07:30 AM
The other option is that if there is someone in the NY region then maybe they could pick Ally up and hold her for a couple of days...

Laura's Babies
02-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Soon as my check hits the bank, I will mail another donation to you. I WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPEN!

Could we start a fund raise thread? Anybody have anything to sell/donate for this worthy cause with all proceeds going to the air fare? I would be willing to make a cat bed (kitty condom). We donate the item, someone buys it, the person donating ships it the the buyer and the money goes to the pay pal account for that item... Anybody interested in doing this?

Donnaj4962
02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Just sent another (small) donation... hope it will help get Ally girl here to the US! :)

jennielynn1970
02-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Just added three donations on to the total, and we are now up to $685.00!!
(the actual amount, due to paypal fees is $666.12). We're doing great, and
almost halfway there!

I think a fund raiser sounds good... any ideas on how to get one going?? I'm already participating in one for the one shelter I'm involved with, so can't push much more on this end. We're selling cheesecakes, pies and cakes from Pellman's.

I did ok selling my cellphone on ebay... that was a decent amount. Maybe if we have some people sell some things on ebay, or just have a yard sale, if you are in a WARM climate, and not in the snow bound northeast, lol.

Laura's Babies
02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I think we could start one in the marketplace (doing it all in ONE thread) Post pictures of what we will sell and a price. If someone wants it, they paypal you the money then it is put in the mail once you notify the seller the money is there... The donor pays shipping or it is included in the price asked?

More input is needed here. Willing donors? I know we got lost of arts and crafts people here who could help out if they have time and could donate something. (I think Pet related would go on here.....)

Laura's Babies
02-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Any input from anyone else? PLEASE? We need help here......

jennielynn1970
02-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow! We just got a huge donation! We are up to $835.00!! :D :D

Catty1
02-17-2007, 10:22 PM
COOL! Would be neat to hear about a slightly lower rate for getting Ally here...then the gap would narrow even MORE!

I have to figure out my wacky finances for a bit before I can look at giving more!

fingers crossed!

Laura's Babies
02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
It is wonderful to see those numbers coming on up there! We are getting closer and closer to our goal!!! C'mon folks, let's get Ally HOME!!!

jennielynn1970
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
You guys are too awesome!!! We only need a little more!! :D :D

jenluckenbach
02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Pet talk people are without a doubt, THE best!!!

Now we need a date and a "game plan". I hope Julie's local friend can get with the needed info soon.

jennielynn1970
02-18-2007, 04:08 PM
We're getting there!! Everybody has been so great!

Laura's Babies
02-18-2007, 04:23 PM
These numbers are staggering! Anyone wanting to help better get your money in or you are going to miss out on this WONDERFUL event!

lizbud
02-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry that I haven't kept up on this thread but I would like to help.
Would a check via snail mail be acceptable? The person responsible for
the money would have to send me a PM with mailing info. Thanks. :) Liz.

jenluckenbach
02-18-2007, 04:52 PM
The info is in the first post :) :)

lizbud
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
The info is in the first post :) :)

Thanks. Jenn sent me the info. :)

Catty1
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Just a crazy thought....would there be any cruise ships going from bahrain to the USA?

Would a nice passenger or two be willing to take Ally - and how much would it cost?

Long shot, I know...may not be cheaper....

But GREAT to see where the funds are! :)

jenluckenbach
02-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Just a crazy thought....would there be any cruise ships going from bahrain to the USA?

Yes, but how LONG would the trip be?? :eek:

Catty1
02-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Less than a week - on the open sea, there are NO ports of interest! :D But hang on, I'll try to get more details...

OOOPS...while trying to find out how long it takes to get a ship from Bahrain to New York, I hit "Submit" expecting a quote on cost and distance...and the message got SENT...

oh dear.

Well, it's only my email! :rolleyes:

slleipnir
02-18-2007, 10:17 PM
how much longer? I will donate once I get my paypal working right (trying to pay with creditcard but it won't let me now)

jennielynn1970
02-18-2007, 10:26 PM

Would a nice passenger or two be willing to take Ally - and how much would it cost?

Long shot, I know...may not be cheaper....

But GREAT to see where the funds are! :)

You're gonna laugh at me, but I was actually trying to find Michael Jackson's address in Bahrain, since he lives there now, lol. He LOVES animals, we all know that one! I couldn't find anything, but dang, I wish I could. Heck, he'd probably fly Ally here on his own jet!

Like I said, silly, but kinda serious, lol.

So... if anyone has Michael Jackson's email address or address, contact him and let him know our plight!!!

Purr-tender
02-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Just sent my donation through PayPal. i don't post much, but I do check in every day. PTer's are a generous group of people!

Mary

emily_the_spoiled
02-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Unfortunately MJ has left the country (Bahrain) and is now back in the US :rolleyes: So we can't use that route (but it was a good idea).

jennielynn1970
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Whooo Hoooo!!! We are doing such an awesome job!!!

jennielynn1970
02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately MJ has left the country (Bahrain) and is now back in the US :rolleyes: So we can't use that route (but it was a good idea).

DANG!!! No way! I thought he was becoming a muslim and the whole thing?! Ugh. Just when you WANT to find Michael, you can't, lol. Maybe he'd still be open to helping?!

rosethecopycat
02-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Less than a week - on the open sea, there are NO ports of interest! :D But hang on, I'll try to get more details...

OOOPS...while trying to find out how long it takes to get a ship from Bahrain to New York, I hit "Submit" expecting a quote on cost and distance...and the message got SENT...

oh dear.

Well, it's only my email! :rolleyes:

Cruise ships do not cross those long distances without stopping along the way. they usually cruise regionally, and then move to another region. It is not financially feasible to make a run between say, Bahrain and U.S.
The longest leg would be transAtlantic, which would be from the closest point of Europe to the U.S. There are just no shipping lanes through the middle of the ocean.
Plus, animals are not allowed on ships (or every old lady would bring the dog along)

I worked on cruise ships for 12 years.
:rolleyes:

Catty1
02-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks! I worked on two ships in the piano bar...so I was out of the real world loop! :D

jennielynn1970
02-21-2007, 03:24 PM
*Bump*

jennielynn1970
02-21-2007, 06:38 PM
another donation! We're up to 1150.00!!!!

jennielynn1970
02-21-2007, 09:38 PM
We are at $1165.00!!!!

Logan
02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Jenn, I just sent you a PM.

Best wishes for Ally!

Cinder & Smoke
02-22-2007, 10:56 AM
The price to fly Ally over to the states is going to be $1531 :eek: (flight and crate).

There are daily flights into Neward and JFK.

TOTAL Amount Needed = $ 1531
Anount Collected so far == 1165

We STILL NEED = = = = $ 366

;)

Catty1
02-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Julie was going to ask her friend in Bahrain if flights to DC were any different in price. No word from her yet.

Will see what else I can donate when I get home!

sasvermont
02-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Jenn, how much of the expense is (Julie?) the current owner of Ally, willing to take on. Are you planning on funding it 100% through donations and not ask the owner for a portion? Just curious. Did I miss some part of the problem? Thanks for doing this. It must be exhausting keeping track!

SAS

rosethecopycat
02-22-2007, 06:25 PM
I sent mine snail mail and I'm sure it's not counted yet. ;)

jenluckenbach
02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Jenn, how much of the expense is (Julie?) the current owner of Ally, willing to take on. Are you planning on funding it 100% through donations and not ask the owner for a portion? Just curious. Did I miss some part of the problem? Thanks for doing this. It must be exhausting keeping track!

SAS
I am certain Julie will kick in whatever the gap is (monetarily) but her situation (like many of ours) is a very tight budget with many expenses. So please don't think that she does not wish to help pay, but if there are any more donations I know they would be appreciated.

jennielynn1970
02-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I am certain Julie will kick in whatever the gap is (monetarily) but her situation (like many of ours) is a very tight budget with many expenses. So please don't think that she does not wish to help pay, but if there are any more donations I know they would be appreciated.

Julie's situation is more than tight, and it's not just monetary. She's in a really overwhelming position right now, between living in a 3rd world country, having issues with the company her husband works for, and her daughter being sick, and dealing with daily living. The move seems to be not what she expected.

Julie will have to fund whatever we can't raise. That was the deal from the get go, so it's not as if she's trying to get out of paying anything. We're trying to help her in this dire situation.

The newest amount she was told for flying ally is $1216.00. It could be more, but she's hoping not. With a new donation, we are currently at $1170.00, which means we are $46.00 away from that amount. We do have to take into consideration PayPal Fees, so the EXACT amount of donations equals $1136.46 ($33.54 in fees). PayPal charges 4.5% basically for transactions. Any checks that were sent incurred NO fees because I can add to the account free of cost. I also got an "e-check" and that did not incur fees either. Not sure how that one was done, but it is a good idea. Fees are a pain, but 5 years ago, this entire PayPal endeavor would not have been possible.

So, basically, we're $100.00 short to have the entire amount, matching the fee figure taken out, to be at the total.

I've been thinking about just donating the fee part back in just to keep it easy.

Catty1
02-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Jenn- is that new rate for a DC landing? Do you know? that's good news!

And do you know how soon Ally can be on her way?

jennielynn1970
02-22-2007, 09:04 PM
We are at $1220.00.
It's $1184.21 with PayPal fees taken out.

We are basically pennies away!!!

Lobodeb
02-23-2007, 03:03 PM
What do you need? I'd love to help.

gini
02-23-2007, 04:05 PM
I would be glad to help. I would like to send a check so there is no loss of funds in fees. Gotta go rummage around to see who to send it to.

o.k., I have found Jenn's address and have also sent her a p/m.

Maybe we have enough now.

Daisy and Delilah
02-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I would also like to help. Can someone PM me with what I need to do to get a donation to them? Thanks. :)

Catty1
02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
The newest amount she was told for flying ally is $1216.00. It could be more, but she's hoping not. With a new donation, we are currently at $1170.00, which means we are $46.00 away from that amount. We do have to take into consideration PayPal Fees, so the EXACT amount of donations equals $1136.46 ($33.54 in fees). PayPal charges 4.5% basically for transactions. Any checks that were sent incurred NO fees because I can add to the account free of cost. I also got an "e-check" and that did not incur fees either. Not sure how that one was done, but it is a good idea. Fees are a pain, but 5 years ago, this entire PayPal endeavor would not have been possible.

Just FYI

jennielynn1970
02-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Official totals:
1300.00 donated
-38.71 in PayPal Fees
1261.29 Total after Fees

orangemm
02-24-2007, 01:02 PM
If it keeps up, Ally might be able to fly first class! :D ;)

Scooter's Mom
02-24-2007, 02:06 PM
WOOHOO!!!!!! Now lets get this little girl to her new home!

I can't wait to see her photos on American soil! She's going to be a happy kitty.

jennielynn1970
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Just got another donation...
We are at:
1380.00 Donated
-40.96 Fees deducted
1339.04 Total Donation

sasvermont
02-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I seemed to have missed the name of the person Ally is moving in with when she travels from afar. I haven't been following the earlier thread(s). Is the adopter a Pet Talk person? What is Ally's ETA? :D

Taz_Zoee
02-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Way to go PTers!!! So when does it look like we can get Ally on her way??

jennielynn1970
02-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Ally will be staying w/ me until Julie is in a cat friendly country again.

We're not sure about arrival yet... Julie is waiting on a friend back in Bahrain to get all papers, permits and health inspections done. We're hoping it to be very shortly!!!

jennielynn1970
02-25-2007, 11:56 PM
*bump*

sprokett
02-26-2007, 04:17 AM
double bump

i feel so bad that i cant help :(

i hope she gets home safely ;)

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2007, 07:41 AM
This is wonderful!!!

When we raised money for Connor's travels we weren't able to get nearly this much so Julie had to pay a significant portion out of her own pocket. But this is just incredible :D :D

Donnaj4962
03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
:::bump:::

Wondering what is happening now? Have we heard about Ally's plane reservations?

Seems like enough money has been donated... now we just need to get her to the US! Just wondering.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm waiting to hear from Julie. It's really hard for her to get internet access in Nigeria... Plus add to that the fact that she is relying on someone else in Bahrain to make the arrangements.

I have a check or two at home I have to add on to the funding, I've just been super busy this week with a new foster cat. I really haven't had time to sit down and relax. I'll update more tonight when I get home from work.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Two more donations....

1480.00 Total Donations
- 40.96 Paypal Fees
1439.04 Total Donations

jennielynn1970
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Since I was asked by a donor, I'll put this question out here....

If we have leftover funds, whatever is left after paying Ally's trip ticket, would anyone mind if we use the balance toward Kt Luvs Kitties?? If you'd have a problem with that, let me know. I figured I'd just go backwards in the donations and if there were any left over, send them back to the people who gave the newest donations.

Thoughts??

Taz_Zoee
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
That sounds like a great idea!! I've also donated vet funds to KT (well, I'm in the process). But I am all for that idea!! :D

gini
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
My first thought is that you don't know how Ally is going to fare in this adventure - and you might need to take her to the vets.

If there is leftover money - I feel you should keep it and have it help you with her food, and vet care.

Catty1
03-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Gini - you are so right! I hadn't thought of this. I am the donor the Jenn referred to...and I just wanted Katie to get some help too.

I guess once we get the final flight rate- and it is paid for - then we can see how much is left and what the other costs are.

Yes, Ally would need a checkup, for sure....and lots of the best treats to settle her in! :)

Taz_Zoee
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
OH, good point gini and Catty1. I'm okay with however the money is dealt with. I am sure it will be put to good use no matter what. :D

Donnaj4962
03-02-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree that you should keep any excess money for sweet little Ally and her care! You are so kind to help out in this way.... and you deserve a break also in the finances.

Thanks for the update on Ally's flight and what is happening. I was thinking that it was just the prblem with the internet, but I thought I would ask! Please keep us posted. I know that everyone is anxious for her to get here!

emily_the_spoiled
03-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Well, I hope that Ally is like Connor. I kept him in a spare room for a day (for jet lag :rolleyes: ) but after that he wanted out to explore the house. He has now become part of the furry paw gang (he even sleeps on the bed with the rest of them).

Daisy and Delilah
03-02-2007, 03:15 PM
I think I was one of the last ones in. Whatever you kitty cat experts decide to do is fine with me. If nobody has told you ladies lately.......you're all awesome in saving all these kitties!! :D :D :D I hope you're all giving yourselves regular pats on the back for all the good you do :)

Taz_Zoee
03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Is there any new news on when Ally will make her trip?

Scooter's Mom
03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Any word on when Ally becomes a world traveler?

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-08-2007, 02:43 AM
YAY - my internet is actually working for a change!

Just got off the phone with Ann - who is looking after the arrangements in Bahrain. She took Ally to the vet there yesterday, and had the vaccination card "certified" so now she needs to get an appointment with the government vet to arrange for the export permit. (This has to be done quite soon before the flight as it is only valid for 7 days). Sorry that everything is taking much longer than it should - Ann was without a car for a while, and works shifts (she is a nurse) so she can only do the running around on her days off.

I'll update everyone once I have heard back re the export permit!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this. I can't find the words to thank you!

(((HUGS)))

sasvermont
03-08-2007, 02:44 AM
And my vote for the excess funds is for you to keep them to offset vet expenses and food. You did such a great deed.

:cool:

Scooter's Mom
03-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Oh yeah... the "extra" funds. I vote you keep them, too.

Donnaj4962
03-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh yippee! I am so glad to hear that things are rolling from the other end!

jennielynn1970
03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
It's been a while, but I did get another email from Julie. Things are just taking longer than anticipated, and she doesn't want to bug the friend back in Bahrain about speeding things up, because if she bails, she has NO ONE in Bahrain to do it. I'm hoping to see something move forward within the next week, maybe two. I hope!!!

Julie is also not happy in Lagos. It really sounds like hell down there. I feel so bad for her. I hope her husband can find something else and soon and get the heck out of there!!!

Barbara
03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
*bump*- I just would LOVE to hear more from you, Julie, and from Ally.

emily_the_spoiled
03-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Well I got an email from Julie the other day (via Jenn-librarian). It seems that since Ally is by herself in the house she has become a total love bug to anyone who comes in :rolleyes: . Right now Julie's friend is working nights at the hospital so it is more difficult to get ahold of her, but they are working on getting her over here.

With Connor I waited and waited and then I had to leave for a few days on a business trip. I got back and received a message from lbaker that he was arriving the next day and I needed to be at the airport to pick him up. So these things happen FAST.

jennielynn1970
03-16-2007, 02:54 PM
We're just waiting on Julie's friend in Bahrain to get things going there. Julie said she doesn't want to be pushy because if she ticks her off, she'll have no one to take care of the visits and everything. I feel so bad! I wish I could just fly over there and take care of it all myself. I'm not the most patient person when it comes to waiting for others to pick up their end of the job... normally I just go "Oh get out of the way!" and do it myself, lol. :p

gini
03-16-2007, 03:06 PM
This is one of the things that has worried me all along. How is poor Ally doing?

Alone every day - she is probably starved for affection and attention. I sure hope that this can be resolved soon. It breaks my heart for poor Ally.