PDA

View Full Version : URGENT situation with Kt_luvs_kitties and the outside cats!!update 2/19 NEW PICS

doolittleky
02-04-2007, 09:28 PM
If you don't know what is going on, here is Katie's thread to explain....
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=121303

Katie had three of the four cats in her spare bedroom and her husband got upset about them and let them all outside again. So now they are in danger again of either getting shot again or poisoned by a neighbor and the lady that these cats belong to is moving on the 6th. katie spent over an hour trying to find the cats again and found Amos but not the tabby or Andy. She is so upset over this and doesn't know what to do. Her husband feels that she is interfering with the lady and her cats and doesn't think Katie should get involved and that is why he let them out. Katie doesn't feel that way and is desperate to get these cats to a safe place. She is upset with her husband but doesn't need to hear a bunch of negative things about him, that won't help the situation. She needs to all of you to put your heads together and figure something out asap. She doesn't have much time. if you can help by taking one of the cats or maybe have any suggestions. I suggested boarding them at the vet until she could make arrangements for them but she said that was expensive. i don't know what to tell her. Please someone think of something.

jennielynn1970
02-04-2007, 09:59 PM
First, get rid of the husband. What a jackass. I'm sorry, but that's just uncaring and unfeeling, and he's basically killing the cats himself by doing that. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wish I lived closer. I don't know what to do for her. I just took in an FIV+ kitty from a woman who took him in from a neighbor who tried to kill herself. The woman was taken away, the house was sold, and the contractor threw the cats outside. So, I have a new boy upstairs, who is absolutely petrified, and if he feels threatened, he pees all over. I just want to hold him and hug him, but he's sooooo frightened. I hope he'll come around and not just shut down. Poor guy, so many bad things in such a short amount of time!

Somehow, some way, we've got to get legislation throughout this country that it is unethical and punishable by law to neglect and harm animals. I doubt that will happen with the Republican'ts in the house, but maybe some day.

Craftlady
02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
It appears that keeping them for even a short time is not an option at this point, since her husband let them out. I would suggest that everyone hold tight, she needs to get things straightened out first with her husband before everyone goes in all directions to try to help.

krazyaboutkatz
02-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I've read that other thread and I'm sorry that this has happened.:( Doesn't she have an outdoor shed close by that she could put them in temporarily. I seem to remember reading something about this from one of her other threads and I think it was about one of these cats that she was trying to rescue.

catmandu
02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
I wish I was closer as I could put a few Cats in the cellar, until they get a clean bill of health.We are praying that these Cats will be safe, and that that lunatic will not kill them.
I wish I could do more.

Scooter's Mom
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I am also praying they'll be safe... and like Gary wish I could do more.

What a horrible situation.

CultureJunky
02-05-2007, 03:35 AM
Is anybody thinking of setting up a Paypal account etc to put funds into?

What about if there isn't a shed available, then buying some kind of small shed even if only second hand to house them in in the garden with litter trays and food.
I will donate some money to cover this and vet fees and I think if everybody else did she could do something to help these cats
I so wish I was near so I could help :(

Laura's Babies
02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
This is just so sad.... I hope it this has a happy ending for those kitties.

Catty1
02-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I'll chip in for vet boarding. That might be the best as any wounds need a going-over.

Reachoutrescue
02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I told Katie that I am willing to help. Don't be so hard on her husband....he works alot and they have 9 of their own cats, he is probably just tired and doesn't want to see Katie get hurt or in a conflict with the lady. Some people just aren't like we are. It is not his fault, lets go easy on him. I am 14 hours from Katie, maybe we can set up a transport or something. I am willing to help, even if it is only with one or two. Any ideas??

cassiesmom
02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
What state does kt_luvs_kitties live in?

Lizzie
02-05-2007, 12:05 PM
North Carolina.

doolittleky
02-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Honestly, I think the best way that Katie could be helped right now is one of two ways. One of the reason Ricky is so upset about the cats is that they are tearing up the extra bedroom( she thinks it is mostly Amos since he doesn't want to stay in the room). Andy and the tabby do fine when they are in there. Also Amos is crying non stop and getting on Ricky's nerves and someone is spraying probably Amos. I think if we could get Katie a big dog cage that she could put Amos in that he wouldn't be able to tear up the carpet and that would settle ricky down somewhat. They rent and that is one reason he is so upset. I was looking on Ebay last night to see if I could find a deal but I am afraid that would take days to get. I think if she had the money to go to say petsmart and get a cage immediately that would be better. Also another option is boarding at the vet she use to work at. the problem with this is she says it is expensive and he requires the money upfront. But I think these two ways would be the best way to help her right now. Then she would have more time to calmly find the best place for these cats and not just give them to anyone. She should be calling me at work sometime this afternoon so I will find out if she found Andy and the tabby or not.
Melissa

areias
02-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I think if we could get Katie a big dog cage that she could put Amos in that he wouldn't be able to tear up the carpet and that would settle ricky down somewhat. They rent and that is one reason he is so upset.

I have a small dog crate I could send...but its not that big. Big enough for say... a large cocker spaniel? If she's interested. Otherwise look through craigslist...I just got a huge dog crate, collapsible/doubledoors/divider and almost new for $30.

doolittleky
02-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I think that would be tter than nothing at this point. I can pm you Katie's mailing address if you want to go ahead and ship it to her. That would be such a big help.
Thanks so much
Melissa

areias
02-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Alright, no problem. Go ahead and PM it to me...I'll see if I can find a way to pack it LOL. I am leaving for work right now-actually kind of late-and won't be home until after 11 tonight. But I will be able to ship it tomorrow morning, if that's okay. Just let me know.

doolittleky
02-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Just pm'd you the address. Thanks so much!
Melissa

Kfamr
02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Borzoimom was talking about how she has several large dog crates - maybe PM her and ask about them?

doolittleky
02-05-2007, 02:29 PM
ok thanks!

heidiv
02-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Does Katie need food, dishes ect. Supplies at all???? I could see if I could pull some things together we are all big animal lovers at work I could see what I could put together. Poor kitties....Sometimes I think people can be so heartless!!! Animals have a spirit to live just like all of us I just wish self centered careless people could live in a cat, dog, bird, ect. body and live like they do! I bet they could look past their own life and realize that we all just want to live without fear! That goes for cats too!

cassiesmom
02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Does Katie need food, dishes ect. Supplies at all???? I could see if I could pull some things together we are all big animal lovers at work I could see what I could put together. Poor kitties....Sometimes I think people can be so heartless!!! Animals have a spirit to live just like all of us I just wish self centered careless people could live in a cat, dog, bird, ect. body and live like they do! I bet they could look past their own life and realize that we all just want to live without fear! That goes for cats too!

I looked at her listing in members. She's in Fayetteville, NC. There is a Petsmart there but not a Petco. She'd be caring for 12 if they find all four. That's extra food, boxes and filler beyond what her cats need. I can help too.

doolittleky
02-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I just talked to katie and she still hasn't found Andy or the tabby. Katie is very worried about them because the lady is moving tomorrow and she is afraid she will take them with her. I pray that Katie gets them back and that that doesn't happen. katie is especially fond of Andy and I know it would break her heart if something happened to him.

Katie just called me back with more news. She said one of the neighbors who is a friend of katie's mom called her and told her that the lady moved out this morning and left the cats and that the one that was shooting the cats is the ladies own son! katie is so mad! She is going to try and find the cats and hopefully the lady didn't come back for them.

Melissa

Reachoutrescue
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
This is unbeleivably sickening. How can somebody treat these poor things like that. If I know Katie, she will not stop until she finds them. I just hope she can. People are sick.

cassiesmom
02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Did she call the police? Can that be construed as animal cruelty?

doolittleky
02-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Katie called child protective services on her and also called animal control but they told her that it wasn't against the law for an animal to be shot or poisoned and they couldn't do anything about that and it was too hard to prove animal cruelty. Big help huh? She is suppose to call me here at work later tonight to let me know what is going on.
Melissa

Craftlady
02-05-2007, 08:26 PM
It's against the law here in my town to do that to an animal.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Ok. I am at my mothers house right now. Like Melissa said, my mothers friend (my next door neighbor) said that this afternoon, the lady had totally moved out and left ALL of the cats behind. I take it that means 6, but I am not sure. I can not find Andy or the tabby, I looked today and did a quick drive thru of her neighborhood
Her name is Wanda, and she said that Kristie, the "owners" son, is the one shooting the cats. She said that he just got into trouble 3 days ago for shooting out neighbors windows and outside lights. (Wandas son saw him and told).
Rickie put the cats outside because Amos won't be quiet, he acts skiddish, and claws the carpet. We rent, and my landlord only allows 3 cats, but he knows I own 5 :o He does not know about the rest.
I do have a large horse barn, but I do not have cages to put the cats in. They can jump the stalls and get out. I am at a loss.
I did call Animal control, and they said what Melissa said. Nothing they can do.
The child services will look into the matter :rolleyes:
The other grey tabby whom I think is semi feral is still hanging around the house. I have been withholding food unless I am home to get them to stay a little longer. Andy, Amos and brown tabby come to me. The others dont.
I will continue to update, or have Melissa do it for me, since I do not have a computer. I need to go home shortly and continue my search. When it is dark I can snoop around easier. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice,
and willingness to help. Katie Layne

Ps= now that I know that the son is doing it, and not an angry neighbor, maybe that changes the situation to animal cruelty. I will call again tomorrow/

areias
02-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Do I still need to send the crate? Or is bmom sending one?

Let me know. :)

borzoimom
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Borzoimom was talking about how she has several large dog crates - maybe PM her and ask about them?
I havent responded to this thread- because these crates I have are made for very large dogs- I am very worried about the wire spacing and would feel awful if there was an accident.
Also- this was being discussed not on pet talk but gabbly with a group of people that I knew had large dogs. It was not an open invitation as all crates do not work for all situations..

areias
02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Okay...I am leaving in a few to send the crate. There is no way I can afford to do like..overnight shipping, but its projected to be there on Friday based on the internet quote. I will update you later and give you a definate day.

Anikaca77
02-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I wish there was something I could do, but I already have 5 cats of my own in my apartment and I just don't have the space.

Please keep us posted on what happens with these poor cats. I wish there were some laws against this and I can't believe she would let her own son shot her cats. What a B**CH.

I hope you find these poor cats and are able to provide them some shelter.

My prays are with you.

Melissa

Kfamr
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I havent responded to this thread- because these crates I have are made for very large dogs- I am very worried about the wire spacing and would feel awful if there was an accident.
Also- this was being discussed not on pet talk but gabbly with a group of people that I knew had large dogs. It was not an open invitation as all crates do not work for all situations..

That is why I told her to PM you and ask you about them. I didn't say if you'd be willing to give them up. I just remember you talking about them and they are in a very tight situation at the moment, so anything helps.

Anikaca77
02-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Have we heard anything about the cats yet?

doolittleky
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
As of last night Katie hadn't found the cats yet. I haven't talked to her today but whne she calls I will let ya know. It is so cold there and she is very worried about them
Melissa

jennielynn1970
02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh gosh... I hope she finds them safe and sound. Sounds like the woman who moved out had a child with some major emotional issues going on. Kids like that, who kills small animals and things like that for fun have some MAJOR issues going on (usually sexually abused etc... we get that at school a lot). They turn out to be not very nice adults if they are not gotten help. It's sick how some people prey on the vulnerability of defenseless animals.

areias
02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
The crate has been shipped. It should get there Friday/Saturday ish. Good luck!

doolittleky
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks so much! Katie will be so relieved to be able to help keep them in now. Now all she has to do is find them again.
Melissa

doolittleky
02-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Katie still hasn't seen the three cats. She is afraid that the lady came back and took them with her. She did leave the one beat up one though and Katie is going to try and get that one in once she receives the crate in the mail. Katie is so upset over this. She is going to try and find out where the lady moved to and see if she can go there and get the cats back. Please pray that she does and if she can't find them pray for the cats. They will need it with an owner like they have.
Melissa

Lizzie
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
By the beat-up one, do you mean the one with pellets in his front paw?

Considering what sort of person Katie's past-neighbor is, it wouldn't surprise me if she came back and got the cats just to spite Katie, certainly not because she wants them (except as rat catchers or target practice for her son!)

Katie must be extremely distressed about this. What a pity none of us live close enough to help her more directly and immediately. Having a friend to go out and hunt for the cats with would be so much better than going out on her own, and probably wondering what she will find.

doolittleky
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
No Lizzie, I mean the gray one that she said ahd been in alot of fights that she thought might be FIV+.
Melissa

kimlovescats
02-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I would think that shipping a crate would be as expensive if not more than buying a new one at Wal-Mart? Plus, she has to wait for it to arrive? :confused: If she can't afford one right away, couldn't we make a few small donations to a paypal account so she can just go buy one quickly?

doolittleky
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
It has already been shipped, another Pt member generously donated one to Katie.
Melissa

areias
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Shipping it was not very expensive. Shipping it overnight was $100+ and 2 day was $55+, or I would have done that.

I hope that she can catch them-is there a way to put them in like, the garage or something until the crate arrives? Does she have any humane traps?

kimlovescats
02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Shipping it was not very expensive. Shipping it overnight was $100+ and 2 day was $55+, or I would have done that.

I hope that she can catch them-is there a way to put them in like, the garage or something until the crate arrives? Does she have any humane traps?

That was very nice of you! ;)

Anikaca77
02-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Bump

doolittleky
02-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Katie called me at work right before I got off to tell me that Andy came crying at her door!!!!! She was so happy and excited! She still hasn't found the others yet but hopefully if the lady left Andy behind she left the other two also. Katie needs your help with vet expenses mainly the combo test I thnk. She needs to have Andy and the others if she finds them combo tested. I am not sure how much her vet charges but hopefully she will get online later when she goes to her mom's and let you all know exactly what she could use help with.
Melissa

Anikaca77
02-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Please keep us posted on what happens.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
First I wanted to thank everyone for your support,advice,suggestions,prayers and offers. Thank you so much Areias, as soon as it arrives I will catch the grey tabby and get him indoors.
I found Andy!!!! I was so happy, I squished him and kissed him, and I was so relieved.
The other 2 (tabby and Amos) have still not shown up. I have seen 3 other cats that she did leave(semi feral to extremely feral). BUT a good sign is that today it warmed up a bit, and 2 HUGE bowls of food went missing. 3 cats could not eat that much.
I have been driving the neighborhood looking, calling and waiting at my house. This is only the second time I have left my house since this happened. I feel if I leave, I will miss one coming to eat. But I needed to personally update, and let you all know what is going on.
Andy has a lump (probably from a BB shot) to his left leg. He needs a combo test and an exam and probably antibiotics to make sure infection does not set in. He is in my spare bedroom, and he has been crying alot, and scratching the carpet. I cut his nails today, as to try to make as minimal destruction to my carpet as possible.
I have a paypal account, but if donations were taken for him at this time, I would not want to be the one handling the money...Maybe a respectable member of PT that I could contact easily would be better? I have $40.00 that I could put on him this week. But I do know that he needs to be examined by a vet.
Anyways, PLEASE continue prayers for the other cats that I have not caught yet. My neighbor is going to try and find out the "owners" full name and what school the children transferred too. To enroll in school, you must have a contact address and phone number...Maybe I will get lucky? I will keep everyone updated. Katie and kitties

jennielynn1970
02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
When it comes to getting info at schools, and I guess it depends on the state, but here in PA we can't give out any info to the public. Not even to say "Yes, they go here." Breach of privacy. If you think they are being abused, see if you can get the parent of someone who goes to that school to talk to the guidance counselors. Normally, it still has to come down to the child coming out and admitting that something has been happening, or seeing it without asking them to show you. I went through this with a student of mine 3 years ago. She was Pakistani and her father beat her with a wooden spoon. She had welts all over her legs and back, and then a few days later, he smacked her hand with the wooden spoon when she touched the computer keyboard and broke her thumb in the process. Our principal at the time didn't want to report it or contact Children and Youth, saying it was "a cultural thing". I flipped... since when is child abuse a cultural thing?!

You kind of have to work your way around the whole abuse deal. It's not like it was years ago when you said abuse and they jumped on it. Now the parents have more rights when it comes to that, plus lawyers.

Maybe you can find out about any relatives who would be concerned about the family??

It's unfortunate that the family is so dysfunctional. It seems to be common and acceptable these days.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-07-2007, 09:44 PM
My neighbor subs part time at the school. She also helps doing paperwork in attendance. I am not sure if she is supposed to share that info, but I wont tell if she doesnt :o :eek:

Lizzie
02-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Katie - I am very relieved that you have found at least a few of the cats, and that there are signs that others have survived.

Perhaps you can ask someone else on PT to collect donations for non-vet needs for this abused troupe of cats, and give us your vet's name, address and phone number so those who can and wish to donate to medical fees can do so by putting money on your account there?

Reachoutrescue
02-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Katie called me late last night and said she found Amos. He is now in the room with Andy. She is sure she will get the tabby as well. Katie also said the lady left ALL her cats....the ones that Katie knew about and many others. She looked in the lady's house, and it was empty and the power was off. If anybody can help her, please pm her. She is in need of major PT support here. There are at least 10 plus cats that need to be re-homed before they are shot like the rest. Any suggestions, please let one of us know. Katie, we are here for you hun!!

Catty1
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Katie - where can we send funds?

Also - if it ws the son shooting them, hopefully they are safe for now!

Is there an out-of-town rescue that can help with funding or re-homing?

A story to the media might help - Children and Animal services might really move if their reputations were publicly on the line!

Get that neighbour who saw the son shooting the cats to speak as well.

Freedom
02-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I found this feral cat rescue group in Apex / Raleigh NC. One member, Kathrine, lives in Spring Lake, which looks close to Katie, at least on the map. Wondering if they could either help her or guide her to someone closer who can help her?

http://feralcat.meetup.com/42/members/

doolittleky
02-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Katie is called in a state of panic! She has ONE WEEK for Andy and Amos to be inside and after that she will have NO CHOICE! She has one cage coming from AREias( I hope i spelt that right) and it should arrive maybe tomorrow but she needs funds so that she can buy another cage to put them in and also for medical expenses to get them combo tested etc. She will be going to her mom's tonight to get online and let you know her paypal acct to send any donations to. Please please anyone that can offer help so she can save these cats. The lady left many of her cats and Katie doesn't know if some are friendly or not. She wants to help as many as she can. But right now she needs help for Amos and Andy. If everyone put in a few dollars she could get a cage. Sorry I am rambling but she has gotten me upset too.
Melissa

Lizzie
02-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Are you saying that her husband has said that she can only keep them in the house for one week and then they must go elsewhere? Is that what you mean? Or do you mean someone is going to come out in a week's time and trap all the cats this woman left behind.

So, correct me if I am wrong, Katie needs general funds for:

Cages
Transportation costs to wherever she can find foster/permanent homes for them.

Vet funds for:

Combo testing
Neutering
Care of wounds

doolittleky
02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Katie hopefully will explain more when she psots. Right now she needs funds immediatley for another cage to keep the two cats she has in. She will need funds for other stuff too but I will let her explain that herself.
melissa

jennielynn1970
02-08-2007, 08:51 PM
My neighbor subs part time at the school. She also helps doing paperwork in attendance. I am not sure if she is supposed to share that info, but I wont tell if she doesnt :o :eek:

Yeah... That's called putting her job is serious jeopardy. Depends on how much she wants to get involved. Seriously. That's like something you'd definitely get fired over.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
OK. I have Andy and Amos. My husband said that I can keep them indoors until next weekend. Then they must go into the barn. Unless they decide to keep the squaling to a minimum. I may be able to push a little more time inside.

I need atleast one more cage. I need help with transport.

The vets costs are really high. I really need to atleast get them exams and combo testing, for right this second. I will call Dr.Lehr tomorrow and make sure that if someone sends money, that the receptionist will be sure to put it in the stray cat fund. I will post that address tomorrow.

My paypal account is [email protected]

I will post totals and the cost of all of supplies that I buy, so that everyone knows that the funds are going to the cats, and not into my pocket. Thank you all in advance for any help, advice and suggestions.

Lizzie
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Katie - I know you don't have actual figures for vet costs yet, but can you give us a general idea of other costs. How much is a cage - $40, $50? Do you have offers of foster homes that are closer, and much cheaper, to reach than mine? Do you have any idea of travel costs? I know you are frazzled right now but the clearer the information you give, the better we can assess how we can help.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Lizzie, I am looking at around 40.00 per cage. I will go to Petsmart tomorrow to get cage prices. I was going to go tonight, but go held up for 2 1/2 hours at another store.
The vet costs are about : Combo testing, 40.00
Exam, 39.50
IF ANTIBIOTICS ARE NECCESSARY: 18.00 per cat

That is all I know as of now. I do not have any offers for fosters in my area. I thought I might have a foster with the vet I used to work with, but she said that she is moving soon, and just cant help right now.

I have one offer in Rhose Island MAYBE to take one cat. I would be willing to travel if needed. Just not over 3 hours one way.
AND Me and Melissa will be meeting probably on Feb 17,2007. I will drive halfway to Kentucky. If anyone knows anyone along the way, or even off that route willing to help, we can try to work out transport then as well. '

Is this any better?

Lizzie
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Yes, that's a great help. I will send you $40 for the first cage tonight - as soon as I've fed myself and a horde of ravenous cats, including this once-feral sweetie who is sitting on my lap:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i306/Zephryn_2006/IMG_0081.jpg

kt_luvs_kitties
02-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Lizzie, SHE IS BEAUTIFUL! I never have seen her picture before. I like her eyes! I understand I just ate for the first time today. lol
Thank you for your help. I will be going tomorrow to get cage prices. I can put up to 50 dollars on this effort this week.
I just got a donor whom sent me enough for one combo test, and 20 for the new cage. I am going to make a vet appointment for tomorrow if I can. I will then scan and send the bill to show proof of payments to the people whom donate. (if they want). Tomorrow I will also list the vet name and address. Thank you all so much. I tried calling you Lizzie I believe it was yesterday, but no answer. I wanted to talk to you in detail about what is going on, as I know I am terribly bad at explaining things. :p I will get on again tomorrow with any update and everything. Thank you all so much for your efforts,advice,suggestions,prayers,offers,donation s, and just EVERYTHING! *hugs* Katie Layne

Lizzie
02-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Katie - problem, I don't have a paypal account and don't want one. I can send a check but that will take a few days. I could call your PetsMart (or was it PetCo) and use my credit card over the phone as I did to pay for a shipping crate for Beans that Melissa picked up.

Laura's Babies
02-09-2007, 11:02 AM
How about posting the vets information on here so those that would like to help could call in and make a donation directly to the vet for their vetting?

Lizzie
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Laura - Katie said that she would do that today. She wanted to call and get more information first, and get the earliest appointment.

doolittleky
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Katie just called and said she had her husbands relatives come in to town unexpectedly and hasn't been able to post the info. She has two vets that she uses and she is going to call them both on Monday to see who will give her the better deal and then if she can't get to the computer to post the vet info she can tell me and I will post it for you. She is very overwhelmed by all these cats left by that woman and needs out help.
Melissa

doolittleky
02-11-2007, 09:37 PM
bump

jennielynn1970
02-11-2007, 10:01 PM
If any of them end up FIV+, let me know, and I'll see if I can get them up here with my FIV guys. I'd like to help where I can.

Lizzie
02-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Thank you for that offer, Jenn. Katie thinks one of them is FIV+, he's also deaf and has short front legs compared to the back. I offered to take him but transporting him up the east coast would be very much easier than moving him across the country. I'm sending her some money to help with his combo test - her vet charges nearly $70 for each test which is twice as much as my vet, and he's not cheap.

areias
02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Has she recieved the crate yet? Just wondering...

Lizzie
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
When I talked to her on Friday, she hadn't received it yet but was hoping it would arrive on Saturday. Considering she would have had to put up the relatives in their spare room, I wonder how she managed with the cats.

doolittleky
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Areias, katie just called and she said she hasn't gotten the crate yet. Did you send it with the post office? The reason I ask is that katie mail carrier is the worst about NOT delivering packages to her and just taking them and leaving them at the post office. I told Katie that she should call in the morning to see if that has happened.

Katie isn't feeling well today but is going to go to her mom's to use the computer to get online to post the vet info.
Melissa

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2007, 10:36 PM
UPDATE!

I now have 3 cats in my spare bedroom. The other cat that I have now was so scared the other night, he had an accident on himself and then ran away. Tonight I sat outside, and begged him to come to me. I have treats and canned food. He FINALLY came over and as soon as I touched him, he fell over on his side and started purring. He is so small compared to the others, and VERY soft, but dirty. I grabbed him up and went inside (not before getting scratched up :rolleyes: ) But I just knew that if I did not get him tonight, he might not come back. He ate TWO cans of cat food and then a whole cup of hard cat food. I took the rest of the food out of the room because I did not want his tummy to get upset. Andy ran over to him and immediately started licking his head, trying to comfort him as to say "its ok brother, she wont hurt you" :) He is so terrified. It makes my heart break. He is probably going to need a home with someone willing to work with him. He is sweet, but it is so scared. Anyone willing to work with him :p

I called Dr. Lehr, and he said that he prefers NOT to have checks mailed to him at different intrevals and prepaid. He suggested that people could send me donations to my house, addressed to his hospital, and then I could bring them in to the office once they were all together. He said that I could give out the clinic number to anyone who would like to verify that he has agreed to this situation.
The number is 1-910-484-7153. It would be best to talk to (office manager) April Tolliver, or directly to Dr. Dana Lehr.

Anyone who would like to donate, can make checks payable to :

ACADEMY PET HOSPITAL
C/O KATIE LAYNE STRAY CAT FUND

AND IF YOU NEED MY HOME ADDRESS, PLEASE PM ME AND I WILL GET IT TO YOU ASAP.

Thank you all for donations and support. Sometimes it gets overwhelming, but I am glad that I have friends willing to help. Thank you. Katie Layne

PS- AREIAS- The maillady did leave me a note today saying "I would have brought your pacakge, but it would not fit into my car" 2/12/07
I will pick it up tomorrow. You dont know what a big help it will be. Thank you.

Lizzie
02-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Katie - I hate to burden you more, but it might be helpful if we had a picture of each cat and a cost of all the different vet fees you will be facing for each. So you would have a picture of Amos, for instance, and a list of vet fees alongside him - neuter; combo test; flea treatment; wound treatment, etc. Then we can each sponsor a cat for a procedure. It would give us a feeling of doing something very specific to help. Are you groaning at the thought of even more work? :eek:

Well done on capturing the shy cat. He doesn't know it, but he's just been saved from a very hard life and a very early death.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I want to show the pictures, I have new ones of 4 cats. BUT my parents have bought a new computer, and I cant figure out how to get the pictures off of my camera. I have been sitting here trying to figure it out. HOPEFULLY I can get it tonight, if not, I will post them tomorrow once my dad gets home. That is a good idea about sponsoring a cat. I really want these cats to get good loving homes, where they dont have to shake in terror at people and objects. It is terribly heartbreaking to watch.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I called my father at work, and I THINK I have them off the camera now. PLEASE wait for update....

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Here is the grey tabby boy that is a possible FIV+ and that I believe to be deaf. He is so very sweet. In a few pictures you can see his front legs are a bit shorter than the back legs.

COST LISTED HERE!!
COMBO is 40.00

An exam for general health is 39.50

Deworm is 6.00

Neutering is about 89.50 without pain meds

So, we are looking at around $175.00 per cat, tax not included. I can put up to 30.00 PER CAT.
WITHOUT NEUTERING it would only be 86.00. It is very expensive to get cats fixed here in NC. Someone might have better luck doing it in their state.

I have gotten them all treated with revolution flea treatment already.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p49d55ff72e8f62d3a43b05f4c484746f/eab0e044.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p320bfd88a9ccd69c969d99f9dde3dc06/eab0e014.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p19caeb2ef9e02c5cb4ae5891f40c26f5/eab0dfee.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pb4992894402c424fa1a30773ea0b9a8c/eab0dfcc.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p1e5e9b7cba950e1b78c0bd20bed16396/eab0df9a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p59bf130e0ebf576f00cef2eb61dddf4b/eab0df76.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p58f9d19d1a56a206aa31e07dbb1dae48/eab0df56.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p63fdd55a7dc93c1efb6f29f01b859c72/eab0df33.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p788aafea93057fceefa93d65aaa6a693/eab0df05.jpg

Andy pictures coming up!!

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2007, 11:43 PM
COST LISTED HERE!!
COMBO is 40.00

Deworm is 6.00

So, we are looking at around $175.00 per cat, tax not included. I can put up to 30.00 PER CAT.
WITHOUT NEUTERING it would only be 86.00. It is very expensive to get cats fixed here in NC. Someone might have better luck doing it in their state.

Here is the newest stray kitty. He is so terrified. Here he is hiding under the pet stroller. Anyone willing to take him in and give him a little time???

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p9bdcf455a0059ae69653d375a1e55e59/eab0de3e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p5f8dcd140338950cff86324d1d634f32/eab0de12.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p8538bf23bc5f77636606e288a8ef7da4/eab0ddf1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p6d514a17c098e0df04bb4abee7e7a992/eab0ddc6.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pf2eb87d9ff7a6b870e5f3cf6a6b6869d/eab0dd9a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p04a4bdb22d98e25029600326bf1ef85a/eab0dd76.jpg

kt_luvs_kitties
02-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Now for Andy. He has been stuck inside for days, so I took him outside for a little fresh air (completely supervised). It was 64 degrees here, and sunny and breezy. He loved it. Just look at his little dirty body. He and my husband were laughing so hard.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pfbb09091700969ed58590479b0db0f97/eab0dede.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p52b45d71cf59e7fc3aa458c86a1844ff/eab0deb7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p8196a95c67ac5e461580965868b1d81b/eab0de87.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pc58c679d36cf81a7c137db9e3ce724a7/eab0de62.jpg

COST LISTED HERE!!
COMBO is 40.00

Deworm is 6.00

kt_luvs_kitties
02-13-2007, 12:01 AM
:p :D Just wanted to add my video to this post of Andy enjoying the great outdoors! ;) :)

Please excuse my kitty voice, but I think he likes it! :rolleyes: :p
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/kt_luvs_kitties/?action=view&current=100_4569.flv

areias
02-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Awww they are precious. I'm someone, somewhere will make a purrfect home for some of these kitties.

I *duh* realised I had delivery confirmation-and it said "tried to deliver but failed". So yes..it will be at the USPS.

Reachoutrescue
02-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Katie... good job at getting these cats inside. They look great. Any news on homes yet?

Medusa
02-13-2007, 10:48 AM
How adorable! Doncha just love 'em? Good luck in finding homes. A candle is burning for you all.

Blessings,
Mary

Lizzie
02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Great photos, Katie, thank you for posting. The grey tabby has the big head of a true tom but he looks very sweet. How old do you think he is? Can you post some costs for us, such as:

Combo test (will your vet give you a break if you have several tested at the same time?)

Neutering (are there any females?)

FVCRP & Rabies vaccinations

Flea treatment & worming

catfamily
02-13-2007, 01:55 PM
This is sooo heartbreaking.We ALL have so many cats here on PT.I have a lot and I know you have too many.I wish I could take more.I was willing to help that lady in the bronx only because I freaked when I heard she was going to put them on the street all 6 and 1 blind cat because she was moving.I never heard back from her and I also had my sister in law email her(That also lives in the bronx)and she never heard back from her.She was going to have her 2 girlfriends take them.They both trap all the time (in the Bronx area)and 1 said she could of taken them for herself or find loving homes.(So we never heard back from her)She probably just didn't want to deal with it anymore and chucked them out on the street.I can't stand hearing these stories and I'm so sorry that your so overwhelmed with trying to get these cats homes.It's heartbreaking.
Your doing such a wonderful thing in life by taking in so many and helping with all the others.Your an Angel Katie.

doolittleky
02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
The gray one is reminds me of my Scooter , not in color but because of his big head. He looks like a sweety! And Alvin( the shy one if you keep that name) is beautiful and no no matter how much you beg me to take him I can't! LOL I love the pics of Andy outside.
Melissa

orangemm
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh, Katie, Andy looks just like my Archy and he rolls around like him, too! What a sweetheart he is!

Looks like he had a ball rolling around in the dirt...just like a boy! :D

orangemm
02-15-2007, 03:58 PM
bump

kt_luvs_kitties
02-16-2007, 12:17 AM
I recieved the cage that was sent to me Yesterday. Areias THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!

I have received one donation, of $60.00. With Paypal fees it was $56.16.
I wanted to update so everyone would know. The cost of each cat was added with that cats pictures.. I hope this helps. If anyone needs anything, info or have questions, please feel free to ask me here or through pm.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I recieved another donation on 20.00. Paypal fees taken out it was 17.00.
Total amount is $76.16.

I have enough for one cat to get to the vet! Minus neutering of course, but that helps so much.

Whom ever donated me the mystery 20.00, I would like to personally thank you. I wanted to send out thank you cards and such to whom did donate. If possible, please pm me.

Thank you everyone SO much for the donations, the continued support, the offers, prayers and well wishes. *HUGS* Katie Layne

kt_luvs_kitties
02-16-2007, 11:48 PM
OK- Updated post. I have a sponser( Lorraine/rg_girl) with Alvin, the scared kitty. He should have enough know to go ahead with vet cost. As soon as I recieve it, Andy and Alvin will be taken to the vet to get their exams, dewormed and combo tested. THANK YOU SO MUCH LORRAINE!!!

CultureJunky
02-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Katie, can you post the link to the Paypal account as I'd like to donate something (haven't got around yet as I've been busy)

This is so inspiring to see everybody helping :)

Kate

doolittleky
02-17-2007, 05:42 PM
[email protected] is her paypal

CultureJunky
02-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Melissa, I typed in the email address but it wasn't valid, is it an underscore after the first 33? So it's [email protected]
I put it in as this sugargirl33 [email protected] and it wouldn't take it as it has a space.

Kate

Catty1
02-18-2007, 11:54 AM
There IS an underscore between the two 33's.

Ya was right the first time! :)

kt_luvs_kitties
02-18-2007, 09:49 PM
SO FRUSTRATED!

Now I have another kitten in my spare bedroom. This time it is a tiny white with a little black female kitten. I have her in the cage sent by Areias. It is so windy and cold here in NC, winds up to 60 mph. I went outside to fill up the stray cat food bowl, and she came to me low crawling all the way. In she came... She is spooked but very sweet and VERY hungry. I just hope that she is not pregnant. She looks to be about 5 months old, so it is about that time.

I have pictures of her, but I forgot my camera when I left the house(my mind is everywhere) which is the only reason that I came over to use the computer in the first place. Oh Well. Atleast everyone gets an update. May I just say, that where ever their previous owner resides, I hope that she eternally resides in H***!

Rant over.... Please contineue to pray for me and these poor stray kitties. Katie Layne

Catty1
02-18-2007, 09:54 PM
HUGS! I hope this settles for you a bit. Any luck with homes?

This thread is long, which is just as it should be, but I kind of lose track of who is going where. As you might be doing on occasion! :)

You are doing great!

Do you have a total of money sent so far? I know I sent some, and I think it went for cages? Not sure.

Just wondering how much more you need.

hugs again! Cuddle that poor scared little girl for me.

Did that lady ever get reported to Family Services - or her son for Animal Cruelty?

Not that you haven't had enough to do...but I hope they get what is coming to them!

kt_luvs_kitties
02-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Thank you Catty. I turned them in, never heard anything else. Figures :rolleyes:

I received a cage from Areias, and am currently keeping small kitty in it.

Grey tabby has a possible home in Va, BUT I am not sure so far. I have to double check that.

I have an offer to sponsor Alvin, by Lorraine (rg_girl). I hope that someone would like to adopt him. Any takers :p

But the total amount that I have received so far on Paypal is $76.16. I will be using this money towards vet bills.

I have one more person whom has offered to donate 25.00 to the vet care.

Once I receive All the donations, I will then make appointments and figure how much I need to pay, and then all will be ok. Once they are vet checked and healthy, Adoptions are quite possible. I have someone interested in the grey tabby. All 4 others are still up for adoption.

Amos, Andy, Alvin and the newest girl (Abbie). I am hoping someone will take Alvin and Amos together. And Abbie is so precious and tiny, that I have high hopes.
Andy of course, will be a special adoption, because I am HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE with him. If I could just have one more, It would be him. I cant imagine letting him go, but I know that Hubby wont allow it :( . He is my favorite, has been for some time.

CultureJunky
02-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Hi Katie,
I have sent a small dotation of $18.00 to you through the paypal account.
It's not much but I hope it helps towards helping these poor cats in need.
I'm praying you'll find a home for them all, they deserve it after the life they've had.

Kate

kt_luvs_kitties
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
This is the Little girl, Abbie.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p0d6fbb399e6bed1a2fb2e97ecfc92719/ea9afe1c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pbffe6d9a223bbaff87328222cf3c3a4b/ea9afdf4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p83002043c16b5733ca5edf95e7d49b12/ea9afdc5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p46af252caa5c47709359d46ac4c4bc74/ea9afd8a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pc78207ecac90be6180e409b8629e2dcf/ea9afd4b.jpg

All nipped up, to relax her!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pd2cf717541433f0387a54eafafca5b5d/ea9afd0f.jpg

More coming of Abbie and Amos.

kt_luvs_kitties
02-19-2007, 10:49 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pd793d1140205ae340edfd09a5e2e7bcb/ea9afcc8.jpg

NOW AMOS!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pc0033e32c6b6800aaf025cf123280ecf/ea9afc8d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/peb70b4b1370bfec5e0a45f777a1fdaa8/ea9afc53.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pad8e9419fc568cac11743a3e3915ac23/ea9afc1c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p4a53bfa177b5c646355d746148477e32/ea9afbc4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pa74e86cdead1eda62eaca2edbd0f2912/ea9afb7f.jpg

doolittleky
02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
I think the little girl is the cutest one of them all! But no I can't take her! LOL
Melissa